Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heartbleed

2 posters

Go down

Heartbleed Empty Heartbleed

Post  TheCavalry Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:33 am

Um...people may have noticed I've been gone a few days. Or not. I dunno if I'm that memorable yet.

Honestly, I spent a few days ago updating security, after the Heartbleed bug, and I found that...apparently this forum had been affected by it?
(At least, that's what the scan said. I have no idea how this sort of thing works)

So... I was just wondering if I could get some information on it. I'm not sure how computer bugs work to begin with, but was this forum infected by it? Would I need to change my password? Wipe my whole hard drive and start my computer fresh?

TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Heartbleed Empty Re: Heartbleed

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:54 am

Please note that Heartbleed is server-side. There is no downloads or anything, so you won't need to do anything to your PC. Here's a couple of helpful things for you...

A video about Heartbleed
A list of notable websites affected by Heartbleed
XKCD comic on how Heartbleed works

TL;DR: If this site has been affected, make sure the site's server has been updated (ask Ping for information about this I guess?), then change passwords...

If someone more knowledgeable on the topic cares to correct me or add anything, feel free...

And on a final personal note, always, always, ALWAYS use unique passwords for important accounts. I don't mind if people use the same password on a number of unimportant stuff like new F2P game accounts you haven't spent money on (although honestly it is good practice to keep all passwords unique), but for stuff like E-Mail, Steam, F2P Games you have money spent on, Paypal, anything with information about yourself or your bank account? Unique Passwords all day every day...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum