Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traits Rough Draft

+4
Philadelphus
Ramsus
Masterweaver
Stairc -Dan Felder
8 posters

Go down

Traits Rough Draft Empty Traits Rough Draft

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Here you are folks, the long-awaited Traits system. You'll pick one at level 2, level 5 and level 8 to add to your combat abilities - and new options will likely open up as you level. Major shoutout to Carson Dougan for helping mock these up. And, as always, the italicized 'categories' are meaningless - just something to help you mentally sort them, like the 'class' headings with the combat talents. You can't pick "striker" and get all three traits, "striker" is just a heading for several traits that like moving fast and hitting a target hard.

Hopefully, they'll be pretty self-explanatory so, without further ado, here's the rough draft.

Let me know your reactions.

Rough Draft of Traits
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Traits Rough Draft Empty Re: Traits Rough Draft

Post  Masterweaver Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 pm

....quite combat oriented....

Shame I won't be using combat that often.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Excellent insight Masterweaver. After all, Traits are the 100% combat oriented side of leveling up. The Utility Talents, Boons and Destinies are roleplay oriented. Wink
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:55 pm

Mmmm.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Ah, I like the versatile ones a lot and they all look pretty good.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:15 pm

"Dangerous" is perfect, in my mind. All of them look great, really.

Also, I don't know if you're looking for more trait ideas or not, but just in case, here's one I came up with in the Absolutely Crazy Ideas thread:
Slow Starter
You always go last in the initiative order, but begin combat with an additional 4 PiPs.

And seeing the Fleet-Foot trait, it could perhaps be tuned: -5 initiative for +2 PiPs, -10 for +4, or something like that. Maybe "For every -5 bonus you take to your initiative roll (down to a minimum of -20) you start combat with an additional PiP."
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:18 pm

Philadelphus wrote:"Dangerous" is perfect, in my mind. All of them look great, really.

Also, I don't know if you're looking for more trait ideas or not, but just in case, here's one I came up with in the Absolutely Crazy Ideas thread:
Slow Starter
You always go last in the initiative order, but begin combat with an additional 4 PiPs.

And seeing the Fleet-Foot trait, it could perhaps be tuned: -5 initiative for +2 PiPs, -10 for +4, or something like that. Maybe "For every -5 bonus you take to your initiative roll (down to a minimum of -20) you start combat with an additional PiP."

Sweet. Extra PiPs are SUPER dangerous to build into the system though. Gaining 4 pips is like getting better than a turn free, so this isn't actually a fair transaction for going last.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:40 pm

These look great! I especially like Phoenix Rising and Dangerous. Dangerous especially goes with the fact that you get an extra Combat Talent when you level up, which is shiny. Very Happy
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:These look great! I especially like Phoenix Rising and Dangerous. Dangerous especially goes with the fact that you get an extra Combat Talent when you level up, which is shiny. Very Happy

Glad you like em. Smile

But, you get an extra combat talent when you level up? When did that happen? No one told me.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:These look great! I especially like Phoenix Rising and Dangerous. Dangerous especially goes with the fact that you get an extra Combat Talent when you level up, which is shiny. Very Happy

Glad you like em. Smile

But, you get an extra combat talent when you level up? When did that happen? No one told me.

Wasn't that in your post in Leveling Up???
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:47 pm

Nope. You get a combat trait, a utility talent, extra health and extra life. You can spend your trait to gain an extra combat talent of course, as shown.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:48 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Nope. You get a combat trait, a utility talent, extra health and extra life. You can spend your trait to gain an extra combat talent of course, as shown.

Oh. Derp. My mistake. Embarassed
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:50 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:
Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Nope. You get a combat trait, a utility talent, extra health and extra life. You can spend your trait to gain an extra combat talent of course, as shown.

*lol* No worries. Traits are what are supposed to be used to add depth to the combat system. They often function similar to combat talents (or you can just pull out Dangerous/Versatile to get extra combat talents).
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:51 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:

*lol* No worries. Traits are what are supposed to be used to add depth to the combat system. They often function similar to combat talents (or you can just pull out Dangerous/Versatile to get extra combat talents).

Got it. Smile
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we already have a move called:

[+1] I Meant To Do That [Immediate Reaction]
Trigger - You roll a 1 on a d8, d10 or d12.
Flip a coin. If heads, you gain 2 temporary hp.

It's under the combat section of the Equine Power expansion
And it functions very similarly to this trait

I Meant To Do That
Whenever you roll a 1 on a d8, d10 or d12, you may gain 1 pip.

Now, I think it would be a ton of fun to stack the two, however I think one needs a name change Smile
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 pm

SilentBelle wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we already have a move called:

[+1] I Meant To Do That [Immediate Reaction]
Trigger - You roll a 1 on a d8, d10 or d12.
Flip a coin. If heads, you gain 2 temporary hp.

It's under the combat section of the Equine Power expansion
And it functions very similarly to this trait

I Meant To Do That
Whenever you roll a 1 on a d8, d10 or d12, you may gain 1 pip.

Now, I think it would be a ton of fun to stack the two, however I think one needs a name change Smile

You're correct, that was intended as a trait playtest. I'm not yet certain which I want in the system.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dead Mender Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:03 am

Now, when you use "Siphon Life", with the Pacifist trait, does it heal 2 less due to the decreased damage?
Dead Mender
Dead Mender
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 am

Dead Mender wrote:Now, when you use "Siphon Life", with the Pacifist trait, does it heal 2 less due to the decreased damage?

Yep. Then you also add another 1d6 on top of the healing.

A good way to gain all-upside on Syphon Life is taking the Duelist trait.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Stairc, looks like you've got some cool looking traits in that rough draft, but here are some of my more critical thoughts so far:

First off, should "Talented" and "Dangerous" be limited to "take only once" abilities? They seem like they could possibly be good options to take multiple times, so maybe that should be allowed if you give up a new trait slot each time.

Also, I think a few of the abilities could possibly be clarified to avoid confusion.

1. "Pacifist" should probably specify if it can bring your damage dealt down to 0.

2. Does "Phoenix Rising" allow a player to instantly regain consciousness when they regain their HP?

3. Can "Unacceptable" allow you to roll a dice, get a 1, then roll the same dice again, get another 1, then roll the same dice again... in an infinite loop, or can you just reroll once per die? In other words, should you specify "reroll once per die roll and keep the second result"?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:24 pm

XandZero2 wrote:Stairc, looks like you've got some cool looking traits in that rough draft, but here are some of my more critical thoughts so far:

First off, should "Talented" and "Dangerous" be limited to "take only once" abilities? They seem like they could possibly be good options to take multiple times, so maybe that should be allowed if you give up a new trait slot each time.

I'm intending them to be limited to take only once. But some more powerful new traits will be open at higher levels. One of which at level 8 will require you already have "Talented" and "Dangerous" and will act as taking both Talented and Dangeous a second time. So the traits stay simpler, but the option to bring up to 7 talents into battle and have 10 combat talents total will definitely be there.

Also, I think a few of the abilities could possibly be clarified to avoid confusion.

XandZero2 wrote:1. "Pacifist" should probably specify if it can bring your damage dealt down to 0.

Of course it can reduce your damage to 0. Why wouldn't it?

XandZero2 wrote:2. Does "Phoenix Rising" allow a player to instantly regain consciousness when they regain their HP?

Whenever you're above 0, you're conscious. I don't think this needs to be specified here, since it's specified in the player's handbook and works for all healing abilities. If I have to specify it here, I'd have to specify it on every healing ability in the game.

XandZero2 wrote:3. Can "Unacceptable" allow you to roll a dice, get a 1, then roll the same dice again, get another 1, then roll the same dice again... in an infinite loop, or can you just reroll once per die? In other words, should you specify "reroll once per die roll and keep the second result"?

Infinite loop buddy! sunny
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm intending them to be limited to take only once. But some more powerful new traits will be open at higher levels. One of which at level 8 will require you already have "Talented" and "Dangerous" and will act as taking both Talented and Dangeous a second time. So the traits stay simpler, but the option to bring up to 7 talents into battle and have 10 combat talents total will definitely be there.

Oh. Okay. That's cool.

XandZero2 wrote:1. "Pacifist" should probably specify if it can bring your damage dealt down to 0.

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Of course it can reduce your damage to 0. Why wouldn't it?

Some systems will specify something like, "to a minimum of 1" or "a minimum of 0," - something like that. That's why I thought to ask. It might be worth clarifying.

XandZero2 wrote:2. Does "Phoenix Rising" allow a player to instantly regain consciousness when they regain their HP?

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote: Whenever you're above 0, you're conscious. I don't think this needs to be specified here, since it's specified in the player's handbook and works for all healing abilities. If I have to specify it here, I'd have to specify it on every healing ability in the game.

Okey-dokey. That's just my lack of experience with the system then.

XandZero2 wrote:3. Can "Unacceptable" allow you to roll a dice, get a 1, then roll the same dice again, get another 1, then roll the same dice again... in an infinite loop, or can you just reroll once per die? In other words, should you specify "reroll once per die roll and keep the second result"?

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Infinite loop buddy! sunny

^ Boy oh boy. I think that definitely needs to be specified then, but I like it!
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

So, probably silly question about traits, but can you take the same trait more than once if it would make sense to do so? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I was just wondering if you could take Perfect Defense more than once to make it an X/day power rather than a daily.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:00 pm

Philadelphus wrote:So, probably silly question about traits, but can you take the same trait more than once if it would make sense to do so? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I was just wondering if you could take Perfect Defense more than once to make it an X/day power rather than a daily.

No, unless the power says you can.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:01 pm

Philadelphus wrote:So, probably silly question about traits, but can you take the same trait more than once if it would make sense to do so? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I was just wondering if you could take Perfect Defense more than once to make it an X/day power rather than a daily.

I'm pretty sure, as a general rule you can't (that's an assumption on my part). However if there is a trait that is meant to be taken multiple times, I would assume that it would mention that in it's description. After all in most tabletop games, and games in general for that matter, the specific rules will always overwrite the general rules. I'm sure someone will come up with a trait that can be taken multiple times, or maybe a trait that has different variations every time you choose it (Maybe some elemental traits). So if you want to make a trait that can be taken multiple times, go for it. But for Perfect Defense, I don't think it would work.

Edit: Ah, ninja!
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down