Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Constellation Template

+5
Karilyn
Masterweaver
Stairc -Dan Felder
Philadelphus
AlicornPriest
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Constellation Template - Page 2 Empty Re: Constellation Template

Post  SilentBelle Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Philadelphus wrote:Roar looks a bit overpowered to me.

Proposed battle order for Polaris Bear:
Roar (repeat a few times)
Unleash massive swarm of minions from the PiPs from Roar, any you start with, and all the ones you gain from the 50% of the party who are able to attack you each previous turn.
Continue to keep half the adventurers helpless and unable to do anything by using Roar while your swarm of minions makes short work of them. Call additional minions as necessary.

At the very least make Roar a [-] talent so that the boss can't just spam it each turn. Even better, make it a standard effect like blindness or confusion. Standard effects at least hold out the hope of being recovered from or removed by talents. Being forced to sit out your turn with no action possible and no way – even potentially – of doing anything about it is boring and frustrating, especially if it could keep happening to you turn after turn.

The biggest issue I have with roar is that it's effectiveness is so entirely dependent upon how close the bear is to being first. rolling a 20 for initiative shouldn't be something that makes a battle 3 times harder than if the bear had rolled a 1. I definitely agree that roar needs a rework.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:49 pm

The biggest issue I have with Roar is this.

Imagine you're playing against a constellation monster.

How fun is it for you if the monster uses Roar on you?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Cardbo wrote:Polaris Bear
120 HP
Trait:Magnetic Resonance
Gain +1 Pip whenever you're attacked.
[+2]Roar
All opponents that haven't already taken an action, flip a coin. If its heads they lose their actions for the rest of turn.
[+1] Flatten
Deal 1d8 damage to one enemy or 1d4 to two.
[+1] Stellar Strength: Nocturnal
The next attack will deal an extra 2d4 damage.
[-X] Create Minions
Create X Minions, which are smaller versions of the Constellation. They have 1/10 the HP and
no Resistance or Vulnerability.
[-4]Sideswipe
2d8 Damage to all opponents

I liked Roar too much to get rid it. If you have ideas to improve it, I'm listening. I got rid of No Sell, because as you said, combining it with Roar is a little much and makes it just take longer to defeat it. I also bumped up the damage of Sideswipe.

Basically its a boss monster. It should appear alone and summon minions as the fight goes on.

Oh, hey I've got an idea (which you don't have to use), but what if we changed Roar to something like

[-2] Roar - Free Action
Target and adjacent enemies are weakened until end of next turn.

This way, three of the player's attacks will be granting the same number of pips to the bear while doing half damage, and the minions can't use this move right after they are summoned as they need two turns to build up the pips. And it also lets the bear (If he has enough pips) cut down the players' ability to insta-kill the minions. (Also can the minions create more minions? And do they share the trait that the bear has?)
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 pm

SilentBelle wrote:

Oh, hey I've got an idea (which you don't have to use), but what if we changed Roar to something like

[-2] Roar - Free Action

This way, three of the player's attacks will be granting the same number of pips to the bear while doing half damage, and the minions can't use this move right after they are summoned as they need two turns to build up the pips. And it also lets the bear (If he has enough pips) cut down the players' ability to insta-kill the minions. (Also can the minions create more minions? And do they share the trait that the bear has?)

Sounds good. I wanted to keep some version of Roar, even if its not my particular version. I simple can't imagine a Polar Bear that doesn't roar, and if has some effect on players, all the better.

Polaris Bear
120 HP
Trait:Magnetic Resonance
Gain +1 Pip whenever you're attacked.
[+1] Flatten
Deal 1d8 damage to one enemy or 1d4 to two.
[+1] Stellar Strength: Nocturnal
The next attack will deal an extra 2d4 damage.
[-X] Create Minions
Create X Minions, which are smaller versions of the Constellation. They have 1/10 the HP and
no Resistance or Vulnerability.
[-2] Roar - Free Action
[-4]Sideswipe
2d8 Damage to all opponents
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2