Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas for new Traits

+15
Xel Unknown
tygerburningbright
Appkes
Esoterus
AProcrastinatingWriter
Stairc -Dan Felder
The Warrior of Many Faces
A1C Bronymous
Inferno1114
Zarhon
Ramsus
Cardbo
Videocrazy
Philadelphus
SilentBelle
19 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ideas for new Traits Empty Ideas for new Traits

Post  SilentBelle Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:45 pm

Well, I figure that someone is going to make this topic sooner or later, so it might as well be me. Let's see if we can come up with any neat traits. Here's some of mine:
Poisoner - Opponents under the effect of your (save ends) effects receive a -1 to saving throws.
Tough as a Bear - You receive a +1 to saving throws

Pretty simple concepts. Anyone else have some ideas?
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Ideas for new Traits Empty Re: Ideas for new Traits

Post  Philadelphus Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:12 am

I'll repost the idea I had from the announcement thread in the right place:

Slow Starter
You automatically go last in the initiative order, but begin combat with an extra 2 PiPs.

I remember there was a discussion of flaws, and the general consensus was just to make utility talents that provided both a bonus and a penalty. Can we do that with traits too, or should they just be positive elements?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 am

Philadelphus wrote:I'll repost the idea I had from the announcement thread in the right place:

Slow Starter
You automatically go last in the initiative order, but begin combat with an extra 2 PiPs.

I remember there was a discussion of flaws, and the general consensus was just to make utility talents that provided both a bonus and a penalty. Can we do that with traits too, or should they just be positive elements?

From what I gather, it looks like it's primarily small positive effects, but the main idea is to give your character's combat it's own sort of character or style.

I could see that version of Slow Starter working fairly well, it would be a very decent trait for a party healer to take, or someone who likes their first turn to be some big flashy move; however, it's not as great a choice for the debuffer of the party, who is far more effective if they get the leg up on the enemy. I'd say it's got pretty decent flavour. It's one of those things that probably needs to be put through a playtest to see just how effective those 2 pips turn out to be.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:39 pm

Fudge Dice - Immediate Interrupt [1/battle]
Trigger: A die is rolled and you dislike the result.
Result: Adjust the die by ±1. Treat the new number as if it had been rolled naturally.

This would be a higher-level combat trait.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Videocrazy wrote:Fudge Dice - Immediate Interrupt [1/battle]
Result: Adjust the die by ±1. Treat the new number as if it had been rolled naturally.

Ooh, I like it. Almost guarantees that you activate a special move, if that's the combat style you aim for. Though I do wonder... how often will you want to lower the number? The only reason I would lower it would be if I had the trait that allowed me to reroll all 1's on the dice... That's a very specific use there. I'm trying to think of any other official abilities where rolling lower will help, but I'm coming up short.

Still I love the idea, though I don't think it's actually a higher-level combat trait (I'm also not certain exactly how powerful the higher level traits will actually be, or how many of them will require prerequisites). I mean if you compare it to some of the available low level traits, such as: Re-rolling all 1's or a constant boost to damage, or even bringing in another combat talent. It seems on par with those.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 pm

SilentBelle wrote:

Ooh, I like it. Almost guarantees that you activate a special move, if that's the combat style you aim for. Though I do wonder... how often will you want to lower the number? The only reason I would lower it would be if I had the trait that allowed me to reroll all 1's on the dice... That's a very specific use there. I'm trying to think of any other official abilities where rolling lower will help, but I'm coming up short.

Still I love the idea, though I don't think it's actually a higher-level combat trait (I'm also not certain exactly how powerful the higher level traits will actually be, or how many of them will require prerequisites). I mean if you compare it to some of the available low level traits, such as: Re-rolling all 1's or a constant boost to damage, or even bringing in another combat talent. It seems on par with those.

Why might you want to lower it? Well, aside from the "reroll all 1's" thing, I can think of a very good spot to use it: Derpy's Lightning 12. If you need to hit a specific value, and you hit one higher, you can bump it down.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Videocrazy wrote:
SilentBelle wrote:

Why might you want to lower it? Well, aside from the "reroll all 1's" thing, I can think of a very good spot to use it: Derpy's Lightning 12. If you need to hit a specific value, and you hit one higher, you can bump it down.

Ah, I knew there were more uses. And I know I've seen a few talents in the works where you roll for a random effect. I definitely see this as a great trait option.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Drunken Boxing - When attacked by an enemy flip a coin. If its tails, the attack hits a random creature, friend or foe.
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Every time? Seems a bit strong.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Cardbo wrote:Drunken Boxing - When attacked by an enemy flip a coin. If its tails, the attack hits a random creature, friend or foe.

I think this seems more likely to be a combat talent then an actual trait...
Something like:
[-2] Drunken Boxing - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: you are the target of an enemy's attack
Effect: Flip a coin, if the result is tails, that attack's target becomes a random creature instead.

Though it might be fun to create a trait that has a flip a coin effect for whenever you are hit.

How about:
Quick Riposte: Whenever you are hit by an enemy's attack, flip a coin, if it's tails, the enemy takes 2 damage.

Something like that maybe.

Last edited by SilentBelle on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:35 pm

3 seems a bit high. Maybe 1?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Ramsus wrote:3 seems a bit high. Maybe 1?
Actually, I just looked through the current traits draft, and comparing it to the other ones, 3 is indeed too high. I think 2 actually balances it out quite nicely. I think 1 would be to low.

Thinking of it this way: If your character is going through a fight that lasts 6 rounds, and you expect to be hit at least once per round, and of those hit's half will proc for 2 damage which means: 6 damage from the trait which seems low; however, I also expect the character that uses this type of trait would be using defender-style moves and in effect aim to take more hits than their team-mates. So with that in mind, I could see an avid defender getting about 12 bonus damage out of this trait in your typical battle. If they are lucky they could get upwards of 24 damage, though that's quite unlikely.

So I'll go edit the original value now.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:22 pm

I like the new Drunken Boxing, but for Quick Riposete, how about.

Quick Riposte - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: you are the target of an enemy's attack
The enemy attacking you takes 1 damage

Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:25 am

Hmmm, that's an interesting trade-off. Mathematically averages out to the same but, it's basically saying "well, do you feel lucky punk!?" =P
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:34 am

Ramsus wrote:Hmmm, that's an interesting trade-off. Mathematically averages out to the same but, it's basically saying "well, do you feel lucky punk!?" =P

Don't forget, minions only have 1 HP each.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:42 am

Oh. Right. That's a bit of a tricky issue as both of those are horrible minion killers, one worse than the other.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:15 am

Nopony left behind - Free Action, [1/session]
This trait can only be used on a dead or defeated creature (-50% maximum hp, or higher). Flip a coin three times. For each toss you win, the target regains 50% of their maximum health. This ability can be used during combat encounters, as well as up to 10 minutes after combat / death of an ally.

Stubborn
You can always do immediate reactions, provided you were are able to do them before an ability triggered it. This allows you to react even if a triggering ability would have prevented it (By stunning you, knocking you unconscious, etc...).

One in a million - 1/battle
Trigger: An attack would knock you unconscious
Your health gets reduced to 1 hit point, regardless of damage. In addition, all negative effects are removed from you. This ability cannot be used if you have only one hit point.

Sacrifice - Free Action [1/battle]
Exchange your current and maximum hit points with that of an ally. Temporary hit points are not exchanged.

Stone Skin
You cannot take more than 75% of your maximum hit points in damage from a single attack, or any consecutive series of attacks, caused during a creatures turn. For any damage that causes you to lose between 50%-75% of your maximum hit points, flip a coin. If you win the toss, you only take up to 50% of your maximum hit points in damage.

Example:
1) Enemy hits you for 200 damage total (Ability + a bunch of special moves triggered + other enemies hit you with triggers and such), you have 100 maximum hit points -> You only take 75 damage.
2) Enemy hits for 60 damage, you have 100 max hit points -> coin toss -> 50 damage if you win the toss.

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:03 am

Videocrazy wrote:
Ramsus wrote:Hmmm, that's an interesting trade-off. Mathematically averages out to the same but, it's basically saying "well, do you feel lucky punk!?" =P

Don't forget, minions only have 1 HP each.
The idea behind minions is that they should also have 3 or 4 Resist, which means that this ability would actually be useless against them.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:20 am

Ah, right. Then we're back to it being fine again.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Since I love debuffing my enemies, here's another trait that might work well.

Deeper Wounds
When you inflict ongoing damage to an opponent, increase that damage by 1.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Inferno1114 Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Contractor- During combat, you may select to bring one additional conjure into battle without having it count against your 5 combat traits. ( also a consideration is that this conjuration be taken in addition to the 8 combat traits and count as a 9th only if you have one conjuration already, and can only be taken when the other conjuration is brought into battle. As in, you are not able to take the second conjuration unless the first one is chosen as well)

Charged and Ready [prerequisite Magical Trevor] [2/Battle] Immediate Reaction
Trigger – You Conjure a Conjuration
Effect: You grant the conjuration 4 PiPs. This does not Stack with Magical Trevor.

Double Summon- Immediate Interrupt [2/Battle] (1 Success on the 1D8 per Battle max)
Roll 1d8 upon
conjuring a conjuration. If the Result is a 5 or greater, regain half of the pips used for the conjuration, rounded up. Then Roll 1D12. If the result is a 10 or greater, regain the full amount of pips instead of half.
Inferno1114
Inferno1114
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:29 pm

A trait inspired by Zarhon:

Precision Control – Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: You activate your 2nd- or 3rd-tier Special Move.
Effect: You may, if you wish, choose to activate one of your lower-tier Special Moves instead.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Suggestions? I can suggest things. Hmmm...

The Martyr
Everytime you fall unconscious in battle, all conscious allies gain 3 PiPs.

Bleeder
You do an extra +3 damage on all of your attack rolls, but suffer 1 ongoing damage whenever you take damage in battle.

Command and Control
For every 2 PiPs you spend, all allies gain a Pip.

A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Bronymous wrote:Suggestions? I can suggest things. Hmmm...

The Martyr
Everytime you fall unconscious in battle, all conscious allies gain 3 PiPs.

Bleeder
You do an extra +3 damage on all of your attack rolls, but suffer 1 ongoing damage whenever you take damage in battle.

Command and Control
For every 2 PiPs you spend, all allies gain a Pip.

I really like The Martyr; the other two look good too, but Martyr is the sort of thing I might take and then give myself a lot of self-damaging abilities to take full advantage. Very Happy
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 am

Gusher
When suffering ongoing damage, your attacks deal +3 extra damage.

Ticked off
When suffering from at least two negative ailments (Weakness, Blindness, Stuns, Ongoing Damage, Vulnerability, Domination) at once, you gain a PiP at the start of your round for each unique type of ailment currently on you (Cannot benefit from multiple ongoing damages, for example).

Delayed Adaption
You must roll two successful checks (not in a row) to remove save-end effects. When you do so, you gain 2 PiPs and become immune to that effect for four rounds.

Cider Flask - 2/Battle
You take a chug from your flask, gaining 4 PiPs, as well as blinding yourself (Save Ends, but you skip the first save after using it).

Anguish - 2/Battle
When an enemy rolls the maximum value for any damage die against you, you can make a standard action.

Warped physique
When afflicted with Weakness, Blindness, Stuns, Vulnerability, or Domination, you can choose to convert it into 2 ongoing damage for three rounds, or a flat amount of 6 damage, per affliction.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next