Wanderlust: Equestrian Nights

Page 1 of 39 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wanderlust: Equestrian Nights

Post  Crystalite on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 am

Chapter 1

It's a bright, busy day in Ponyville, as it has been for several months, as everyone able in any way assists in preparing for the celebration of the new, very first, Festival of Friendship, marking the defeat of the terrible Tirek and the resulting return to relative peace...

Emphasis on "relative". While things are pretty safe, everyone still has the horrors of Tirek's week long campaign firmly in mind, and nerves are running a bit on the raw side. Princess Sparkle and her newly formed personal guard have their hooves full keeping the peace; however, the upcoming Festival and the preparations involved are doing wonders for the overall mood of Ponyville, enough that the Festival of Friendship is being prepared for all over Equestria.

So it comes as no surprise that a certain unicorn might feel a bit left out of things. Bubbling Springs finds himself unable to assist; being a stranger in a strange land, the other ponies don't really know what to make of him, which has led to some unfortunate "incidents". While ruffled feathers have been smoothed, he is now confined to the Princess' guest floor, except for the rare occasions that two (Two!?) of the guards have nothing better to do. But that's about to change; his First Friend is arriving in town today, and then his imposed exile will be done!

((Translation: Bubbling Springs will be meeting Jack Daniels. Don't especially care where; I'll let you two decide. Just be sure to let me know.))

Meanwhile, a pair of twins, also new to the town, have an altogether different problem. For over a week now, they've been dragging a suitcase halfway across Equestria; why? Every time they walk away, they end up back where they left the suitcase.  Of course it would've been too much trouble to let the suitcase come to them though; Noooo! It just had to be drug along behind them to get anywhere! Lacking both the key and the proper lockpicking skills, they don't even get to see what's in it that's making it so heavy... But, much like Bubbling Springs, today their trouble is over; someone from the Canterlot University is meeting them with promises of bits and the removal of the accursed case...

((Translation: Wandering Eye is meeting Water Drop and Glowing Soft. Again, don't really care where; let me know what you want.))
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanderlust: Equestrian Nights

Post  Dusk Raven on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Ponyville was an idyllic town. The streets were bright and clean, the buildings picturesque, the people warm and friendly. That was Wandering Eye's first impression of the town. It seemed almost too idyllic, like it contained a dark secret somewhere beneath the cobblestone streets or within the thatched houses. But that wasn't why he was here. While his special talent was finding out secrets, his current task involved a secret of more mundane proportions.

As he went to the meeting place, he kept his eyes open for a pair of pony twins and a troublesome suitcase, which, if all went well, would soon be under his protection. He couldn't wait to examine it and discover its properties in the name of knowledge. He kept himself from wondering the artifact's origins until he actually laid eyes on the thing... he still had to acquire it first, after all.

(I'm not sure where a good meeting place would be. Town square, perhaps?)
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:43 pm

A pair of Pegasus guards led a black and white, fairly large stallion through the princess twilight's Guest Floor. The odd threesome came to a stop in front of a door and the earth pony smiled. Not a mean feat, considering he had a red and white cane clutched tight between his teeth. He passed the cane to his right hoof, though his sunglasses remained on. "So this'll be the place, huh? Alright."

He hit the top of the cane hard against the door, *Rap-rappa-knock-knock* before speaking. "Hullo in there, friend! Jack Daniels atcher service, here to tend to your bar!...that came out wrong, but whatever. You in there?"
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 pm

A stocky blue unicorn looks up from the book he was reading, very confused by the abnormal knock on his door. He marks his place walks to the door, remembering along the way that for once he has a moderately unexpected visitor. He opens the door and says, "Well, your coat is a sight for sore eyes." with just a hint of sarcasm. "I can identify these guards by the cut of their jawline at this point."
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 pm

"Well I wouldn't know anything about that." JD shrugged before putting his cane back in his mouth and holding out a hoof to shake. "Nice meetings all the same. You gentleponies care to run along now? I'm sure we can find our own way out."

Meta:
Would I have to roll anything to have JD memorize what Bubs smells and sounds like?
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Bubbling Springs scrutinizes JD for a moment before saying "Oh." quickly and shaking his hoof before heading towards the stairs.
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:25 pm

JD followed him down the stairs until they came to the door outside. With a bright grin, the earth pony pushed it open and held out a hoof. "Welcome to Ponyville! Lovely place, huh? The birds are singing, the grass smells nice, the sky is blue or whatever, simply gorgeous."
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Bubbling Springs leaps out the door, falling to the ground in a pile trying to bring some tears to his face to match the wracking sobs he's trying to hack out (momentarily forgetting that he's performing for a blind pony). "Oh, glorious day! To think that I might see a cloud skirt across the sky! How beautiful it is to feel dirt underhoof once more! Yes, it feels so, so, wonderful!" He abruptly stands up and recomposes his features, keeping very still and very silent as he looks expectantly at JD.
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:36 pm

JD was silent for a minute before snickering. His giggles slowly turned into outright laughter. "Oh Celestial, friend. You need a drink. Or maybe acting lessons. Actually, no, forget that last bit. That was amazing."
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 pm

The guards make no comment as they show Jack and Springs to the outer gate. True to Jack's guess, the sky is blue, the grass does smell nice, the birds are indeed singing, and there is in fact something before them. Well, Jack doesn't know about the last one just yet. But Bubbling Springs has heard of this bizarre relic, spoken of in hushed whispers in dark corners, said to remedy all grief in a way surpassed only by alcohol and True Love.

Could this thing before him, about the size of a pony's head, bright green with small red spots, and a single flame in the middle... Could it be... CAKE!?

((Not a lie Jack/Elacular, Perception check DC 15 to smell it. Springs/Sunbeam, Will check, DC 5 to not immediately eat it. Because you MIGHT get a Nat 1, and that would be funny as hell.))
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:Ponyville was an idyllic town. The streets were bright and clean, the buildings picturesque, the people warm and friendly. That was Wandering Eye's first impression of the town. It seemed almost too idyllic, like it contained a dark secret somewhere beneath the cobblestone streets or within the thatched houses. But that wasn't why he was here. While his special talent was finding out secrets, his current task involved a secret of more mundane proportions.

As he went to the meeting place, he kept his eyes open for a pair of pony twins and a troublesome suitcase, which, if all went well, would soon be under his protection. He couldn't wait to examine it and discover its properties in the name of knowledge. He kept himself from wondering the artifact's origins until he actually laid eyes on the thing... he still had to acquire it first, after all.

(I'm not sure where a good meeting place would be. Town square, perhaps?)
Walking through the town square is a bright yellow unicorn with long pink and deep blue mane and tail, a suitcase barely being held up by her light green magic (it matches her eyes). Flying in circles around her is an identical pegasus, her mane and tail tied back but just as long as her sister's. The unicorn has a flame for a Cutie Mark, while the pegasus has a pale blue water droplet for a Cutie Mark.

Glowing Soft drops the suitcase on the edge of the fountain in the town square and rubs her head with one hoof, she and Water Drop not far behind it. How could they ever find their parents with this thing anchoring them in place? They hadn't even had a chance to look around Ponyville yet, but from what they saw it sure seemed like a nice place.
"Do you see him?" "I don't even know what he looks like, and you know that!" "Yes, but do you see anypony looking around for somepony else?" "I- why do I even bother anymore?" "Because it's fun." "Yeah, shut up."
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 pm

As he scanned the area, Wandering Eye spotted an identically-colored pair of ponies next to the fountain, with a suitcase near them. Seemed like the ponies he was looking for. Telekinetically adjusting his glasses, he approached the pair, his saddlebags weighing heavy with the weight of the bits he'd brought.

"Hello," he said, trying to be as disarming as possible. "You two seem like you're waiting for somepony. Might I be that pony?" He glanced at the suitcase next to them. "My name's Wandering Eye. And you two?"
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:46 am

"My name is Water Drop, and my sister here is Glowing Soft." "Hi." "So you're the pony who's supposed to get rid of this suitcase for us?"
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:54 am

"If possible." He looked at the suitcase again. "We need to make sure we can actually get it off your hooves. Now, have you tried giving it away to anypony else? Also, I'm a little unclear if it's the suitcase itself or its contents..."
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 am

OOC:

I can believe a blind person not noticing a cake, if it's already in place. It's not as though it moves or makes noise, and frosting usually doesn't smell like much.
Also, I got a 16 for impulse control.

Bubbling Spring smiles and rolls over onto his hooves, suddenly finding himself nose to frosting with a cake. He stands up and looks around, trying to figure out why a cake is lying on the ground in the middle of the road, bracing himself for the second burst of streamers in his face since he arrived in Ponyville. "Thanks. I've been bored out of my skull, so I had a lot of time to plan that. Should I be worried that there's a cake in the road? Will this stop traffic around here or something?"

OOC:

Do you think if I hadn't pointed it out to him, JD might've stepped in the cake?
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:40 am

Judging by the weight, Water Drop and Glowing Soft are certain there's something in it; it's not quite big enough to weigh this much on it's own.

It is pretty big though; looking at it, Wandering Eye can see it's an older traveling case, the kind you could almost fit your wife and kids into. He also suspects i's te case itself rather than whaever contents it may have...

OOC:

sunbeam wrote:Do you think if I hadn't pointed it out to him, JD might've stepped in the cake?

No. It was a little further away than that. I was anticipating that you might roll a Nat 1 or say "screw it" and eat it anyways, in which case Jack/Elacular might want to stop you.

As Bubbling Springs approaches the cake, his fears prove to be almost true as the ground starts to tremble. The cake does burst... But not in streamers. A long, grey and brown streak pops out with a resounding BOOM; this figure is not the pink party pony that greeted Springs before. This is an altogether different entity, one whom he has only read about; a villian of terrible magic, a villian reformed...

"SUURPRIIIIISE!" Discord shouted down at Bubbling Springs from his towering height before whipping down to eye level. Jack notices he can "see" the Chaos God as a sort of silhoutte against the normally black background of his blindness. "How did I do? Did I do all right? Pinkie's been trying to show me, but it's just so hard," he explains, stopping to look back. "Bother. I forgot the streamers. Too late now. Oh yes! I wanted to ask you two a favor," he says teasingly, twisting around behind and between them...
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 pm

"The buck?" JD staggers backwards and shakes his head. "Uh, whatever you're doing right now, can you not? It's kinda messin' with me and I already knew you were there. Loudass bang and yellin' and all. Also, you smell like wet goat, cotton candy, spoilt milk and bad decisions."
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:52 pm

"What are you- OH!" Discord responds, his eyes lighting in recogntion."You're that one blind pony! Jack, isn't it? It's a Draconequus thing, you wouldn't understand. And I do NOT-" he stops to sniff himself. "Ugh. You're right, I do smell like spoilt milk. How embarrasing!" he says with chuckle. "I really would bathe, but I can't go home just yet. Unless you wanted to come watch..."
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:16 pm

"Hell no! The last thing I need to...see right now is your Dongconequus. Can we just...make with the proposition or whatever? This is really screwing with my head. Ugh, how do you people deal with this all the time?"

Jack covered his eyes with one forehoof, still gripping his cane between his teeth.
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Bublbing Spring rears back as the cake explodes, and a handful of old stories about deserts turned to sugar and oases turned to chocolate milk run through his head. His horn instinctively flashes Carnelian and a small flame bursts near Discord's ear, quickly petering out as the stallion lands on all fours, ready to run, but waylaid by the casual conversation taking place in front of him. He takes a deep breath and eventually breaks in, his voice carefully level. "I haven't the slightest idea Jack. And yes, streamers would definitely help with the display...Discord."

OOC:
Guess what's easier than training your magic to not produce fires when startled? Training it to produce them in midair, where they should run out of fuel immediately. No, I don't see how that could cause any problems down the line if we were to go to, say, a flour mill. Why do you ask?
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:"If possible." He looked at the suitcase again. "We need to make sure we can actually get it off your hooves. Now, have you tried giving it away to anypony else? Also, I'm a little unclear if it's the suitcase itself or its contents..."
"We don't know, we can't open it." "We never gave it to anypony else because we didn't want them to deal with the same problem we have with it."
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 pm

"Well, that's what I'm here for." He smiled slightly. "We'll have to try a few methods of getting it out of your hooves. Try giving it to me." He meanwhile attempted to magically scan the suitcase to figure out what sort of magic lay within.

Spoiler:
Arcana check: 6 (roll) + 10 (skill) = 16
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Wandering Eye does indeed detect a heavy, complicated enchantment; but, the type of energy and the way it's laid in is so alien to him that he really isn't sure how it's supposed to work. It is apparent, however, that it's not supposed to do what it is doing; most likely as a result of whatever is inside.

Meanwhile, a certain God of Chaos is bemused at the ponies' reactions. "It's a simple thing, really; I have a project I've been working on for the fair, and I mean really working on! This is some very complicated stuff here! But I just can't help feeling like I'm missing something... I'd ask my own friends, but they're busy with their own projects so I can't take them there. Sooo, I thought I would pick someone who wasn't so... Occupied. Although, I really wonder how being blind might impact the effect. Not very well, I suspect... But I don't know that for sure. I'd have to sit down and do some math first... Or I suppose we could just find out. What do you say, my little ponies?"
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:05 pm

JD grumbles under his breath. "Well that's just grand. Tell me, exactly what is it you want me to do?"
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Bubbling Spring blinked, repeatedly, still not completely comprehending his situation I...suppose that I'm with Jack on this one. What do you want us to do?
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 39 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top