Ideas for new Traits

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ideas for new Traits

Post  Xel Unknown on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Here's the two ideas that at might've been moves, but are way better off being traits. Here's how far I've got with these ideas, for one thing I've not got a clue what to name them. Pip Armor/Pip Weapon was my first idea, but on second thought it's a bit of a dumb name to me. These need a lot of work and odds are will be really clucky, but at the same time might be really fun.

(Name for Trait here)
You lose your first turn, but start off with 8 pips, also you CANNOT have more then 8 pips max in battle. When your attacked you must spend two pips to reflex 1dX damage where X is one die down form the die rolled for the damage done. You roll one die per each die type rolled. When you have more then 4 pips you can add two or four more pips to the damage reflex to bump up the dice roll up one or two dice. You can only do the reflex roll if said attack doesn't knock you out. Also when start a turn with Zero Pips, you may flip a coin, if won you gain four pips as a free action, if lost you gain four pips and lose your turn. And if you have only one pip when attacked, an ally may spend one pip to help trigger the reflex attack move to spend along with your last pip.

(Name for Trait here)
You lose your first turn, but start off with 8 pips, also you CANNOT have more then 8 pips max in battle. When you attack you can spend two extra pips to up the damage by 1dX damage where X is one dice down from the dice rolled for the attack. You can spend two or four more pips to boost up the bonus roll up one or two die... This bonus attack can only trigger if your attack doesn't KO an enemy. Also when start a turn with Zero Pips, you may flip a coin, if won you gain four pips as a free action, if lost you gain four pips and lose your turn. You can spend pips to boost an ally's damage before they roll for their attack damage.
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Here's the two ideas that at might've been moves, but are way better off being traits. Here's how far I've got with these ideas, for one thing I've not got a clue what to name them. Pip Armor/Pip Weapon was my first idea, but on second thought it's a bit of a dumb name to me. These need a lot of work and odds are will be really clucky, but at the same time might be really fun.

(Name for Trait here)
You lose your first turn, but start off with 8 pips, also you CANNOT have more then 8 pips max in battle. When your attacked you must spend two pips to reflex 1dX damage where X is one die down form the die rolled for the damage done. You roll one die per each die type rolled. When you have more then 4 pips you can add two or four more pips to the damage reflex to bump up the dice roll up one or two dice. You can only do the reflex roll if said attack doesn't knock you out. Also when start a turn with Zero Pips, you may flip a coin, if won you gain four pips as a free action, if lost you gain four pips and lose your turn. And if you have only one pip when attacked, an ally may spend one pip to help trigger the reflex attack move to spend along with your last pip.

(Name for Trait here)
You lose your first turn, but start off with 8 pips, also you CANNOT have more then 8 pips max in battle. When you attack you can spend two extra pips to up the damage by 1dX damage where X is one dice down from the dice rolled for the attack. You can spend two or four more pips to boost up the bonus roll up one or two die... This bonus attack can only trigger if your attack doesn't KO an enemy. Also when start a turn with Zero Pips, you may flip a coin, if won you gain four pips as a free action, if lost you gain four pips and lose your turn. You can spend pips to boost an ally's damage before they roll for their attack damage.

Wow. And I thought my *item-balancing* post was complicated.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:37 am

I said they were half-thought out ideas... >.>
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:38 am

Xel Unknown wrote:I said they were half-thought out ideas... >.>

*lauhgs* It's fine, don't worry about it. But wow, that's like... 5 ideas in each trait!
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:52 am

Have you seen my 0 pip cost topic yet? My first version of my magic die ended up being like three combat talents in one... I get really overly complex in my first thoughts it seems. Only after I really hammer out unneeded details do I get anything worth looking at. Well we could get a good five ideas out of my insane first thoughts that I thought up from that whole "Combat Talent does X when pips are at Y" thingie...
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:54 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Have you seen my 0 pip cost topic yet? My first version of my magic die ended up being like three combat talents in one... I get really overly complex in my first thoughts it seems. Only after I really hammer out unneeded details do I get anything worth looking at. Well we could get a good five ideas out of my insane first thoughts that I thought up from that whole "Combat Talent does X when pips are at Y" thingie...

I'm a big fan of more cool trait ideas. This sounds like a plan.

And don't think I've seen the 0 pip cost topic yet.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:09 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:I'm a big fan of more cool trait ideas. This sounds like a plan.

And don't think I've seen the 0 pip cost topic yet.
Well then I"d suggest you look at it. Personally I'm quite proud of the "Heads I Win, Tails You Lose" talent. And if only one thing could the stamp of officialness I'd suggest it being that one. Now to start trying to look over my first ideas and see if i can pull out the "five" traits you see in them.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Because my first thoughts ended up more like 5 traits rolled into one unholy mess, for each of my two ideas.... I'm going to try and hammer out the unneeded details and see if I can build five or more traits form my insanity. Well I couldn't figure out five traits out from looking at what I had suggested, but I did get three.

Biding Your Time
You lose your first turn in every battle, but you start off your second turn with 8 pips. Also your max pip count you may hold is 8 in every battle. And when you start a turn with 0 pips, you gain +4 pips then flip a coin, if you lose the flip, you lose your turn as well.

More Power For Your Punch
Your first turn to have 8 pips or more in combat all of the following effects become active: You gain +X entra damage for every attack you deal, where X equals the pips you still have at the end of your turn. When you hit 0 pips you become stunned, confused, and blinded (three different save ends for each status effect) but your last move does 50% more damage. Also you CANNOT use any non-attack moves that'd make you hit 0 pips.

Relfex Barrier
Your first turn to have 8 pips or more in combat all of the following effects become active: When attacked you may spend two pips to roll the same number of dX's for all of the rolls made for the attack in question that had hit you. What you roll becomes damage given to the attacking enemy. Or you may choose to spend four pips to reduce the damage by half and give half of the damage to the attacking enemy. Or you may choose to spend six pips to relfex ALL damage done to yourself to the enemy... When you hit zero pips for whatever reason all of these effects are no longer active and cannot be reactiveted for the rest of the battle, also you are stunned for one turn when this happens.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

I really like those ideas Xel!

Claws
Your hooves have been transformed into deadly claws, giving you +1 to all damage you deal.

Fire-Breath
Perquisite: Claws.
Your transformation continues with the addition of a fire breath. Once per round, at the cost of 2 PiP’s you can attack an enemy for 1d8 damage. This cannot before your turn.

Dragon-Claws
Perquisite: Fire-Breath
Your claws have become even sharper, even tougher and much more dangerous. Giving you an additional +2 to all damage you deal.

Dragon-Scales
Perquisite: Dragon-Claws
Your skin now hardens into the tough scales of the dragons, giving you Resist 2.

Dragon-Breath
Perquisite: Dragon-Scales
The transformation is nearly complete; your fire breath now does 1d10 damage and costs 1 PiP to use.

Dragon Metamorphosis
Perquisite: Dragon-Breath
It is done. You are now a dragon. The bonus damage you deal increases to 5, as does the Resist. The Dragon-Breath deals 2d8 damage and costs no PiPs now.
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:05 pm

I might be wrong, but I think that trait chain might be a bit too long for even a level 10 character to be able to unlock it all...
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:I might be wrong, but I think that trait chain might be a bit too long for even a level 10 character to be able to unlock it all...

Nope, 6 traits is what you get a level 10 and 6 traits is what you get here. I counted them don't worry.
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:17 pm

That's just it... I think maybe a six level chain might be a bit much.. A four or three part chain would seem more reasonable to me.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Hush. Let me have my fun!
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:19 pm

You totally can, just thinking next trait chains you make shouldn't be a full six level chain is all. P:
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Bounceback
Whenever you take more than 15 damage at once, gain resist 3 for two turns

Tough Comeback - requires Bounceback
If an attack deals more than 20 damage to you, you gain resist 1/5X for two turns, where X is the damage done to you.
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:47 pm

1/5X? One divided by 5X?
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:49 pm

or is it resist 5 times X with a typo?
tygerburningbright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:03 pm

I'm pretty sure it's one fifth of X. (1/5)X
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Double face palm, and a cookie forbelle
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:05 pm

New trait idea inspired by Demonu's monster thread:

Energized
Whenever you trigger your special move, you gain 1 PiP.
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loopy Legend on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:41 pm

Here is mine I made up to compliment a combat talent I made.

Double Or Nothing
Anytime a coin flip is involved on a numeric value the results for both choices are now doubled.
Side Note - DM discretion always has the final ruling on any rolls.

Just to show here is the combat talent.

[+2] Adventurer’s Luck
Flip a coin if heads you gain +1 Pip, if tails a random opponent gain +1 Pip.
Loopy Legend
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Loopy Legend wrote:Here is mine I made up to compliment a combat talent I made.

Double Or Nothing
Anytime a coin flip is involved on a numeric value the results for both choices are now doubled.

[+2] Adventurer’s Luck

I really like Adventurer's luck. How about making it +2 pips if you win the flip? That way it's a chance to get the incredibly +4 pip power, which is game-breaking. As is, you'd do a bit better with a normal +3 pip ability.

Seriously, I like this a lot. I could easily see it getting into an expansion soon. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Double Or Nothing

[+2] Adventurer’s Luck

I like the trait Loopy, but I wonder just how many talents it could apply to. Oh and welcome to the forum by the way Smile
Oh also I follow your story test workshop, but that's not really on topic. Maybe I'll do a run through to see just how many talents this would effect.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Loopy Legend on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12 am

SilentBelle wrote:

Double Or Nothing

[+2] Adventurer’s Luck

I like the trait Loopy, but I wonder just how many talents it could apply to. Oh and welcome to the forum by the way Smile
Oh also I follow your story test workshop, but that's not really on topic. Maybe I'll do a run through to see just how many talents this would effect.

Nice to know my fans here Very Happy.
And that is why I add a side note, could prove a little OP on some other abilities/combat talents in the game.
Loopy Legend
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 pm

I like it
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile