Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting)

+2
A1C Bronymous
Elacular
6 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting) Empty Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting)

Post  Elacular Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Backstory

It was the 41st year of Princess Twilight's Reign, and in Equestria, ancient ships were discovered.

It was in a mine run by earth ponies and diamond dogs that the first ship was found, and the others were soon to follow, having been buried in close proximity.

Nopony was sure where these precursor ships had come from, or why they had been placed on their home-planet of Equus. One thing was certain though:

The Equestrians had just been skyrocketed into the space age.

It's been nine years since that day, and on the 50 year celebration of Princess Twilight's ascent, 6 fully crewed ships will be launched into the aether and Equestria will make it's first contact with whatever waits outside.

About the game

This game is a space-exploration story based on the world of Star Control 2, though no knowledge of the game is needed to play. We will be using the wanderlust system and playing by post as well as gathering resources, meeting with aliens and other shenanigans.

This is pony based intentionally, though if later joinees want to play as other aliens, I'm open to ideas.

The 6 captains have the pick of the precursor ships (though there's only one of each), but are also welcome to make their own flavored as equestrian creations. Original ships will need their own Wanderlust character sheets though.

The Vindicator II

The first and largest of the ships found on equestrian soil. Also, the only customizable pre-made ship, due to its "skeleton and pods" build system. If what little of the ships files have been restored are to be believed, a ship similar in build to this one was involved in a very big war.

The Cruiser

The second ship dug up, found very near the Vindicator II. It was the only ship to contain nukes, but it had a lot of them.

The Eluder

This gaudy ship was apparently captained by someone named "Fwiffo" once. Its logs seem highly torn on their opinion of him.

The Torch

This one has the simplest language, so Equestria got the most information out of it. Not that much was helpful. Apparently this ship was made by a culture who had a figurehead named Reeunk and was collectively known as The Fat, Obstreperous Jerks. They had great reverence for hairless monkeys and slapstick comedy and greeted other races in piglatin poetry. It seems as though this race was the butt of some cruel joke.

The Avatar

Easily the most advanced of the ships, although something about how it's put together feels just slightly off.

The Fury

This ship seems very odd, being quite fragile and having only one weapon besides a very difficult to block broadcasting system. Some unicorns and particularly magically inclined members of other races say that the inside of the ship feels odd, nice, or warm, depending on the person. The thing that makes it really worth studying, however, is the fact that when the ship was accidentally dropped by a team of Pegasus excavators, it instantly reformed itself with a sound of fanfare emanating from nowhere.

Players:

Last edited by Elacular on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:46 am; edited 14 times in total
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting) Empty Re: Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting)

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Seems fairly interesting. I'm probably too busy as is to try and join another game, BUT i just so happen to have a certain large headcanon, a facet of which is a space armada, a facet of which is the ships in said Armada.

So you know, that could be fun to play.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting) Empty Re: Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting)

Post  Elacular Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:23 am

I would definitely be interested in your input, as I've got all sorts of work to do to make the universe big, and any help would be appreciated. Also, I can't hear the word "Armada" anymore without thinking Irkens.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:10 am

...actually, now that I think about it, being an Irken Invader is probably the greatest idea in the history of ever.

I can give you some details on the Armada (I feel like I've shared them with you before? Maybe someone else.), and you can tell me if it would work out. I can tell you I'd ideally be playing a Drizjetst, which is your general purpose big Lizard-man type deal alien.

And if that idea doesn't pan out, dibs on Invader Skletch.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:41 am

I'm working on a way to better integrate alien players, since that's half the fun of a space rpg, but I don't have any great ideas for the early game to be honest. I'm definitely open to suggestions on that front.

However, I will admit that playing as an Irken invader on Equus that somehow rose the ranks to be a space captain is more than a little amusing to me. It also seems like one of the few good ways to get an alien player in the early game. Like I said, though, open to suggestions and glad to hear about any potential Ford Prefects, Zims or other non equine entities that may join the ranks.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:01 pm

I would love a spot, although Star Control means nothing to me (But that's okay, right?)
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:05 pm

I'd love to have you play, and it's perfectly alright if you've never played any of the Star Control games. In fact, it's highly recommended you never play Star Control 3. But thanks for reminding me, I should put that in the first post.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Okay, I have a concept, and would like some approval:

The Concept:

The Part That Needs Approval:
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:54 pm

So Hard Wire is a geth, neat. I should ask, are we ONLY coming up with our ship and Captain, or are we going to need to populate our whole crew? Because I have a handful of characters preplanned, but not the crew's worth.

I'll post my concept and sheet sometime over the next 4 days.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:05 pm

I definitely like Hard Wire storywise, and that's enough for my approval. The only issue is that I'm not sure how to handle that mechanically, but I'm willing to work with you on that.

As for Bronymous, nah, you don't need a ships worth of crew. If you have crew on your ship you want, you can write them, but you only need a captain and a ship.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:00 pm

Mechanicaly speaking... Most of hus alternate chassis can be chalked up to flavor: the Vacuum Chassis is no different than putting on a space-suit before you step out the airlock, and the Battle Chassis is just combat build flavor.

The "multiple nodes at once" is tougher, but not hard; for now, we'll simply not give him enough processing power to do it morethan just a little bit: it wouldn't be too much more powerful than, say, Telekinesis at best. Later on we can give him more proccessing power and play with it a little more.

Now, his dependence on proccessing power is the real trick. For now, I suggest this: his default rolls are whatever turns out to be normally available to him. Extroardonary circumstances in which he finds extra grants him a bonus to certain rolls. I can also e-flavor the Heroic Action as an emergency connect to some proccessor bank kept in reserve.

Now, as far as flavor goes: Could I maybe be part of someone else's ship, instead of having my own? Hard Wire just doesn't strike me as the leader type...
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Alright, I can see all those mechanical bits working. And sure, you're free to do that if anyone who isn't playing as an alien shows up.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Alright, well I'll include the important characters to keep track of with my sheet.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Crystalite wrote:Now, as far as flavor goes: Could I maybe be part of someone else's ship, instead of having my own? Hard Wire just doesn't strike me as the leader type...

Actually, something just occurred to me. If that's going to be the case, would you mind being on a ship captained by an NPC? Because there will be ship-to-ship combat, and the last thing anyone needs is two PCs fighting over how their ship makes things go boom.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:02 pm

Frankly, I think it depends on whether it's an In-Character argument (Good!) or Out-of-Character (Bad!) but I won't argue the point any further than that. NPC captain is fine. Interesting thought: maybe Hard Wire does double-duty as the ship-board A.P.I.M. for said ship? That could be interesting.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Interested? Saw this at a glance and don't have immediate time to start building a concept, but I'm having fun in the Psychoneights campaign and several campaigns I was in petered out recently, so I might have time/will to post in one more.
I have no idea what Star Control II is, besides a game apparently.

[Edit] Got time now, so I'll be looking and thinking about things
So, do we choose one of the ships and that's the character that we'd play?
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:31 pm

@Crys, I was kinda banking on you being the on board computer part time, at least during ship-to-ship combat. Otherwise, you'd have nothing to do for those parts.

@Kal, well, I'd sure be happy if you joined this campaign, and I'm glad you're enjoying Psychoneights. As for the ships, sort of. You're the captain of either one of those ships, or a pony homebrew ship. You'll have your own pony and/or alien character with their own pony and/or alien powers. The ship is just what most of the space combat and travel rolls are based off of. Rest assured though, your character will have plenty to do with their own four hooves.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:14 am

Great. I'll get to work on it.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:37 am

Oh damn, I thought the character sheet was for the ship itself. Space battles and whatnot. Oh well, good thing I didn't start on it yet.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:10 am

I'm sorry, I'm explaining this badly. What I'm failing to get across is that there'll be a character sheet for the ship and the captain. That's why I had six pre-mades, so people who don't want to make two character sheets have an option.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Oh. Ohhhhhh.

Well shit, that's gonna take a while. The ship's sheet isn't anything special, right, just a regular Wanderlust build? Or does it have other, vehicle/ship deal stats?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Yup. It's a normal WL build, except with feet replaced with miles for ability scores. Also, here's what the Wanderlust stats represent for ships.

Arcana: The sophistication of a ships ranged weaponry and computer tech.
Acrobatics: How well a ship maneuvers in the depths of space.
Dexterity: A ships abilities to perform tight, small scale actions, such as precision aiming of weapons.
General Knowledge: The notes in a ships computer concerning the world. What the ship "knows" about the outside universe.
Heal: The quality of the ships medical bay and its auto-repair functions.
Insight: The quality of a ships translation algorithms and its ability to sort out the meanings of as-of-now unheard languages.
Might: A ship's straight up horsepower of rockets.
Perception: How well a ships scanners work.
Stealth: Exactly what it says on the tin.
Endurance: How well a ship endures physical attacks.
Reflexes: How well a ship dodges physical attacks.
Willpower: A ships computers' resistance to hacking.

All of these can be influenced by devices found in-character. For example, a Babelfish-powered translator would improve a ship's Insight while gathering information in the ships logs would grant situation General Knowledge bonuses.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:23 pm

So if most of those are dealing with combat capabilities, does that mean there's no combat build? Because it looks like most of the actual fighting is handled by those skills, leaving out only how powerful and effective the weapons are themselves.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:27 pm

No, I made combat builds to represent the weapons and their uses themselves. You can take a look at my six pre-made ships to see what those look like. But anything out of combat or in-combat not covered by attacks is done with those stats.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Ok, so I AM going to have to figure out how to make a decent tank build in this system. Hmmm.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next