Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting)

+2
A1C Bronymous
Elacular
6 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting) - Page 2 Empty Re: Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting)

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Doublepost, we need sizes for the ships? What are the size ranges?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting) - Page 2 Empty Re: Control the Stars OOC. (WL, PBP) (Recruiting)

Post  Elacular Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Hmmm...well, the smallest is the Torch, which is bascally a 2-6 man pod, about van sized. And the largest is the Vindicator II, large enough to house a small town. So anywhere between those two, mostly centered around commercial plane and/or rocket sized.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:06 pm

That's a tad smaller than my ship is supposed to be... isn't there an "extra large" ability that costs actual points? If not, I guess it can scale to Vindicator size.

Also, Advanced telepathy has a range of 1 mile, how does that translate to ship size?

And, since there's no "Spike, Take a Letter" equivalent, how do long distance comms work?

AND WHY IS FORCEFIELD A LEGENDARY TIER?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:34 pm

For the aliens? Up to the GM, I guess. I have an idea for pony-comms, though.

Rather than one communicator sending a signal to another, the blend of natural magic and technology allows a comm to send the message straight to the intended recipient's ear; this permits anyone with the proper transmitting technology to send a message to literally anyone else within reasonable range. However, if they don't have their own transmitters, then they probably can't talk back.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Gosh-darn it. I have a hard enough time getting up to date in stuff as is.

I am intrigued- very intrigued. I'm considering a few sci-if pony ideas. I'll get back to you.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:01 pm

Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:46 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:That's a tad smaller than my ship is supposed to be... isn't there an "extra large" ability that costs actual points? If not, I guess it can scale to Vindicator size.

Also, Advanced telepathy has a range of 1 mile, how does that translate to ship size?

And, since there's no "Spike, Take a Letter" equivalent, how do long distance comms work?

For the first question, yes, there is, assuming Crys is okay with me using his thing.

For the second, 5280 miles, approximately one billionth of a light year.

For the third, intership and interplanetary communication on public wavelengths is a free skill. If you want it to be private, I'm not certain how to handle that. I'm open to suggestions.

Crystalite wrote:For the aliens? Up to the GM, I guess. I have an idea for pony-comms, though.

Rather than one communicator sending a signal to another, the blend of natural magic and technology allows a comm to send the message straight to the intended recipient's ear; this permits anyone with the proper transmitting technology to send a message to literally anyone else within reasonable range. However, if they don't have their own transmitters, then they probably can't talk back.

I'm not sure I'm down with that. I think personal coms paid for with character points could work like that, but not ship coms unless explicitly designed that way. Also...

Awesome, I'll look him over ASAP. Now pick a ship.

TheCavalry wrote:Gosh-darn it. I have a hard enough time getting up to date in stuff as is.

I am intrigued- very intrigued. I'm considering a few sci-if pony ideas. I'll get back to you.

I would be happy to have you if you feel up to joining.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:35 am

Elacular wrote:
A1C Bronymous wrote:That's a tad smaller than my ship is supposed to be... isn't there an "extra large" ability that costs actual points? If not, I guess it can scale to Vindicator size.

For the first question, yes, there is, assuming Crys is okay with me using his thing.

For the second, 5280 miles, approximately one billionth of a light year.

For the third, intership and interplanetary communication on public wavelengths is a free skill. If you want it to be private, I'm not certain how to handle that. I'm open to suggestions.

A) I am okay with you using it.

B) May I suggest the term "light-minute" for that scale of distance? (I forget how long a light-minute is off the top of my head, but at least let's have a term of some kind for it.)

C) I made such a suggestion for personal communications:

Elacular wrote:
Crystalite wrote:For the aliens? Up to the GM, I guess. I have an idea for pony-comms, though.

I'm not sure I'm down with that. I think personal comms paid for with character points could work like that, but not ship comms unless explicitly designed that way.

That is exactly what my intent was. However, I fail to see why ship-to-ship comms can't be private too, at least in theory: your ability to "listen in" would be a function of either your Arcana or Perception, and the other ship's Willpower or Stealth, respectively.

Elacular wrote:

Awesome, I'll look him over ASAP. Now pick a ship.

Will do. Or, at perhaps, will work on making my own.

Elacular wrote:
TheCavalry wrote:Gosh-darn it. I have a hard enough time getting up to date in stuff as is.

I would be happy to have you if you feel up to joining.

Yes. Please. Join us!
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Hmmm...I see your point with the comms, and I'm down for a compromise. Any ship with telepathy is able to send private messages without issue. Any ships without it needs to make an insight or arcana check with a DC of 15.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Ok, So I'd need to take telepathy in order to send private transmission, via Laser or Narrowband or whatever else, from ship to ship, and general signal comms are free- anyone listening on the right frequency or scanning in the right area could pick it up, right? Ok.

But my question was more referring to how to contact ships and bases that aren't present.
Spoiler:
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:45 pm

@Bronymous, yeah, you'd pretty much have to send them through public frequencies. You could encrypt them first though. And I'm not opposed to a suggestion of how to WLify Spike Take a Letter.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Well I have no idea, but I used up my points anyway. As for my Character, I think I'm going to have a few- The Captain wil have a companion, and that companion will have a companion. Is that possible?

Think a Mass effect party.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm gonna say, in this one situation, I'll okay it since a ship's gotta have a crew.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Cool. Otherwise it was just going to be "You have X extra skill points".
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Man, trying to organize these two companions on my sheet is rough. Accepting assistance, here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zmWD_GrJKOw-BzDX0oq-We74syIxFVtq9yr_GZ1Gy3c/edit

Also, the sheet for the ARC Vendra:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ipa2WEaMUmzpWikpXFJcFPTTkOnFpQciBskscp_9Fdk/edit
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:37 pm

My personal tactic for organizing companions is to put the companion's sheet at the bottom of the character sheet and make it just a copy of the first page of the WL sheet. As for it going fractal, just repeat, I figure. But then again, I've never really taken these things fractal. By the way, just for clarity's sake, the rabbit hole goes no deeper.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:41 pm

Yeah, I'm already thinking trying to coordinate three is too much of a hassle. Back to one companion.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:45 pm

I'm cool with whichever number, but one is preferable. There will be NPCs on all the ships, your Scotties and your Bones' and your Spocks, but since I'm in no way interested in inventing that many new text colors, for the most part they'll be faceless masses and redshirts.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Well I can fill out the bulk of the important crew myself, the companions were just going to be shore party and follow-ons.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Cool, that works out well. I've learned my lesson about too many characters.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:29 am

Oh sorry, did I say one companion? Because I meant none. I recall I hated having companions in Pony Tales because they were hard to organize and hard to keep track of in-game. And with only 10 points to begin with in Wanderlust, the 3+ needed for a companion is just absurdly pricey. Maybe I'll grab one down the line, but for now, companion is scrapped entirely.

Meanwhile, the Vendra is completely built, flavored, and even has a vaguely correct picture, courtesy of Google Images.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:47 am

Eh, fair 'nuff. You should probably use the extra novice points for something now since they don't scale up. Anyway, I really like the flavor you gave the Vendra. Nice job on that.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:45 am

Ok here's a cool idea. Can I use this:
Signature Spectacle (2) – At Will
Time: Instantaneous
When you choose this ability, pick an object or creature that could fit in a 20-foot cube. You may conjure an image of this object anywhere you can see at any time. It can move and looks exactly like the real thing, but it's only an image, so the illusion will be obvious if something passes through it. It takes a DC 30 + (Your Level) Arcana or Perception check to detect that its an illusion. The image lasts for six hours or until you use this ability again (whichever comes first).
Flavored as the Captain's Persocomm holographic display, and use it for a relevant local or star map?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:29 am

Even though it doesn't quite fit with the flavor of the ability, I really like the elegance of that, so yes.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Awesome. Captain Kessiksim Ve is mechanically finished, just needs some combat flavoring and a bio. I don't think I'm going to fins a pic that fits him, though.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next