Zilean's Revenge (Part 5)

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Zilean's Revenge (Part 5)

Post  Zarhon on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:55 pm

The wire is under some tension, held by a pair of metal stakes buried into the ground.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:54 am

"...I just had a thought: Why do we have to play Zilean's game? Horizon could cut an opening somewhere else along the tent, toss in the alchemist fire, then finish cutting a hole large enough for us while whatever's inside deals with the aftermath."
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:48 am

"I suppose I could do that. Meanwhile..." Horizon moves around to the side of the tent, having sheathed his primary weapon and drawn a Throwing Knife instead. "You use your fancy magic hand trick and trip the trap. It'll probably distract whoever's inside and keep me from being noticed until the candle is lit."
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:32 pm

"Alright, I'll give it a shot. Although it may just be a normal tripping wire, because...Zilean likes seeing people fall flat on their faces." Rolf tried to use his telekinesis to pull on the trip wire to see what happens.

Using Mage Hand to pull on the trip wire.
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune on Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:20 pm

"The rest of us should stay a short distance away. Something might come barreling towards us once the tent is aflame. "
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Rolf pulls on the metallic wire. It makes a very audible TWANGGGGGGG noise as it snaps back into position from being pulled. Nothing else seems to happen for an awkward few seconds.

Lots of rattling noises can be heard within the tent afterwards.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:21 pm

As soon as the noise sounds, Horizon plunges the knife into the tent, cutting it open. Before cutting open a hole, he takes a peek into the tent, looking for the Lich, or the abomination.

Perception: 18+10=28
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Horizon slashes the fabric of the tent, revealing beneath it the shield that was there before, blocking further intrusion. Though this keeps his vision as obscured as it was before, he gets the opportunity to hear a bit better, what's going on inside - past the magical noises of the shield itself, he can discern the noise of the rattling as that of the bony limbs of a dozen or more skeletons moving in place. It sounds fairly organized, akin to a march. He can also hear soft bubbling of liquid, clinking of glass, and reverberations of impacts on metal.

The rattling then stops abruptly, leaving the interior mostly silent.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:58 pm

"Forgive my phrasing, but that sounded lively."

So we can't dispel the shroud, and it continues to darken sight even once we're within. Burning the tent down is looking better and better. Though it might just leave the dome of darkness in place, burning everything around it should deal some damage to whatever is inside it, or force it out. If Horizon mentions the bubbling glass, we could take potshots at its direction to further provoke reaction.
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:10 pm

"Oh right, the magic shield. I knew that was there." Horizon swears, then steps away from the tent. "I think best I can do for now is either toss it blindly through the shroud, or risk heading inside. I'm not gonna waste it on cosmetic damage." He stands in front of the darkness, hefting the vial slightly. "Fuck it, I'm going in. Don't come in after me until I start screaming." He strides forward, stepping over the wire, and into the tent.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:23 pm

"If you think you're going in alone, you've got another thing coming." Jeraylia plainly tells Horizon, following afterwards. However, she was cautious enough to hold her buckler and sword in a defensive alignment and focussing her attention on hearing. "Oh, graceful Melora," she prays inside. "Grant us safe passage in this false night. Give us the ears of the owl as we wander into the territory of those aberrations who profane the natural order."
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:23 am

Zthulan clenches his spear nervously, "remember to just throw it and get out.  The less we fight on Zilean's terms the better."
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:43 pm

"Considering the giant abomination still has to be dealt with, I doubt it will be that straightforward." Rolf sighed. "Can't help much from out here, can I? Well, into the breach, I suppose." Rolf stepped over the wire and followed Jeraylia and Horizon into the tent.
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:58 pm

The party, carefully followed by the three paladins, enter the pitch blackness of the darkness cloud.

As the final person enters, fully concealed, a clamor of bones sounding in front of them, and an unseen, but very real feeling of dread fills all.

Then, without warning, the darkness vanishes, revealing what lies in wait!

!!!:
A strange horn sound blares from the front, likely magical in nature.

Parallel with one of the sides of the large, metallic, shuddering cube, two lines of skeletons, unarmed, but roughly twenty in number, stand in formation, akin to that of royal soldiers for a formal parade in streets. All of them wear what appear to be conical hats of vibrant colors.

The skeletons all turn to face the party, and... applaud.

The cube itself appears to have been vibrantly colored in a similar manner as the conical hats.

Above the strange procession, levitates a large banner. On it is written, in blood, with crimson-colored stars on each side of the writing:
* CONGRATULATIONS *
* YOU DID THINGS *

On the other side of the 'road' formed by the skeletons, the source of the earlier dread is apparent: Zilean, the lich, sitting on a levitating chair, flames in his eye sockets piercing the party.

To the left of the table, a large red curtain, the kind used for theater performances, with a rope to separate them, hangs from a non-existent roof, obviously to conceal something from the party.

Behind him lies the table that Rolf sabotaged earlier, most of its apparatus still functioning to bubble and swirl liquids, with a single beaker of liquid on the table, as well as the machinery designed to deliver something alchemical into the metallic cube, poised to allow something to be poured within it.

"About. Bloody. Time. Hehehehe, bloody. Have some hats.", he speaks, snapping his bony fingers, spinning himself in place.

One of the skeletons approaches with a platter of the conical hats, offering them to the party.

"And here I was worried you'd ruin your own surprise... thing, dawdling and poking outside, burning things... Cold feet, much?"

Rolf can roll a perception or history check.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:20 pm

Horizon looks around. Looks at the banner, the silly hats, the cube and the curtain. The skeletons. The Lich. He stares at him, and his blood runs hot, and utters a single, piercing word.

"Nnnnnope."

Before he can act, though, he is jostled from the back as LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE comes in behind him. He sighs, and facepalms. "You people. Let it never be said I didn't at least try." He takes a step forward, and a black tendril erupts from the ground next to him, knocking aside the hat bearing skeleton. "I suppose we're here then, Lich. Biiig confrontation, epic battle, two forces enter and only one leaves. Or something thereabouts." He hefts the vial, showing it to him. "I have no doubts this will have next to no bearing on the outcome of this fight. Not if you've been waiting for us." He slides it back into his pouch, and sheathes the knife he was carrying. "I don't like you, Lich. You're too dead to fear death and you're too arrogant to fear anything else. Your minions don't fear for anything either." Another tendril, this one swiping at one of the lines of skeletons, knocking them into each other. "So you have your magic and your immortality, and we have... what. The bonds of Friendship? The Light on our side? I'm not a child, I know that amounts to fairy dust. SO the question, obviously, is what purpose does fighting you really serve?" Horizon waits, looking back at the others, then back at Zilean.

I'm doing a thing.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:58 pm

"Yeah, what he said!" Jeraylia exclaims, grabbing a hat. "Except the part about friendship. Friendship's super."

So long as I don't immediately assume that will be super bad from this arcana check:
Arcana on hats: 23 ( 16+7arcana )

Edit: Oh, and why not, since we can see now, can I make a perception check to guess what's behind curtain number one? If there's a stink, it'll be hard to mask.
Perception roll: Nat 1 ( 1+9perception )
Bugger.
Also, just so we're clear on things, I'm Batman, right?

Last edited by Broken Logic on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:13 pm

"...Well, so good of you to set this party up for us, Zilean," Rolf said. "I mean, the whole "mirror" business probably gave away that we'd been in here before and were heading back, so I was expected some sort of surprise. But the redecorating, the banner, the hats, it's just those little extra touches that help us to know how much you care."

While talking, Rolf started glancing around the room. Most of it he had seen before from his first visit (even with the bright colors, the cube still creeped him out), but there were a few keys things he wished to notice; namely, if there was any clue what was behind the new curtain, and if the potion of dragon's fireblood that he had swapped out for the super-zombie potion was still there.

Rolling Perception...14 (1d20) + 7 = 21
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:01 pm

"Yes, very admirable being how inhospitable we've been towards him. Still no refreshments? Surely Zilean you remember that we of flesh and blood need substances. Or has your time in the grave take away more than just the control you had on this city?" Glancing at the skeletons momentarily Zthulan focuses back onto Zilean.
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Though Jeraylia is no expert on magic, the hats appear to be mundane.

Rolf easily identifies the flask on the table as the potion he had swapped. It's disguised faded by now, though.

I have no doubts this will have next to no bearing on the outcome of this fight.

"Don't be a negative energy Nancy. How funny you should say that, though. I could think of a few ways to use it!"

Your minions don't fear for anything either.

"Pfft, fearless? Hardly. My pals here screamed like whiny little dumb babies till I burned out the larynx. SERIOUSLY, SO RUDE YOU GUYS.", he scolds at the skeletons, who are unmoved by it.

SO the question, obviously, is what purpose does fighting you really serve?

"What's the point of fighting me? Good question. I dunno. Fat Lutes? Why are you fighting me? Are you fighting? You don't seem in a 'fighty' pose. Except him and his harassmentacles. Is he gonna fight? Cause that would be SUPER lame right now."

I mean, the whole "mirror" business probably gave away that we'd been in here before and were heading back, so I was expected some sort of surprise.

"Oh, that was you? I feel like my privacy has been intruded upon! But no, it wasn't the mirror. Just a few little red birdies that told me. So I thought: Surprise, yes!"

The lich then takes note of the careful looks some are giving in the direction of the curtain. "Ah, but I see your eyes are drawn to the MYSTERY CURTAIN! Well, feast your eyes on the special event!", he yells, pulling the curtain's rope.

Behind the curtain, a trio of familiar, large, wooden stakes stand, with chains attached, apparently for the purpose of restraining a creature. Above them is another banner, reading:
* HOT STUFF! *

They are lacking any actual creatures attached to them - the chains appear to have been broken. A detail that the lich does not apparently take notice of, at first.
"Ah. Hm. It appears our visiting guest performers are indisposed, or were kidnapped. OH WELL."

Still no refreshments? Surely Zilean you remember that we of flesh and blood need substances. Or has your time in the grave take away more than just the control you had on this city?

"Mister... I-don't-know-your-name-lizard, are you calling me senile? Wait, no refreshments? GARY, YOU HAD ONE JOB!", the lich screams into the side of the skull of one of the skeletons. It appears unmoved.

"Right, refreshments, something something liquid, whats the closest, ah, right!", he speaks, turning to the strange tubing connected to the cube, and casting some magic into it. For about 10 seconds, the cube starts loudly banging. Then, from the tubing that appears poised to receive liquid, the reverse happens: A small spout of a reddish/brownish/yellowish/greenish mixture of liquid spurts out, and levitates into a magically conjured bucket. One of the skeletons picks it up and offers it to Zthulan. It smells beyond disgusting, and shifts slightly on its own accord.

"I made it myself."

If you're wondering, the paladins are currently mixture of outrage, wordless confusion, and hesitation to do anything due to their orders and your authority.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Trying to hide his disgust, Zthulan shakes his head towards the offering skeleton. "It was just a reminder of what should have been already provided, not a request for what was forgotten."

"So, with refreshments out of the way, where does that lead us?"
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Zarhon wrote:
"What's the point of fighting me? Good question. I dunno. Fat Lutes? Why are you fighting me? Are you fighting? You don't seem in a 'fighty' pose. Except him and his harassmentacles. Is he gonna fight? Cause that would be SUPER lame right now."

"Why are we fighting you? Well, turns out that experts say that getting your city invaded by the undead is REALLY bad for the economy. Nobody goes shopping, zombies can't handle money well, and tourism goes WAY down. We were planning on doing the adventurer's traditional "smash everything and then loot all that's not nailed down, but we weren't expecting the big boss to be sticking around." Rolf's sarcastic smile fades to a grim expression. "But seriously, people are dead and dying because of you, and it has to stop."

"Oh, that was you? I feel like my privacy has been intruded upon! But no, it wasn't the mirror. Just a few little red birdies that told me. So I thought: Surprise, yes!"

"...Red birdies? Were they red before or after you were done with them?"

The lich then takes note of the careful looks some are giving in the direction of the curtain. "Ah, but I see your eyes are drawn to the MYSTERY CURTAIN! Well, feast your eyes on the special event!", he yells, pulling the curtain's rope.

They are lacking any actual creatures attached to them - the chains appear to have been broken. A detail that the lich does not apparently take notice of, at first.
"Ah. Hm. It appears our visiting guest performers are indisposed, or were kidnapped. OH WELL."

"Oh, were you saving those for later? Sorry about that, we saw some of the undead being used by the cultists as a race for who would rip apart some civilians at the end. Good times, I'm sure, but then our "good guy" instincts kicked in, yadda yadda yadda, killed the baddies, saved the innocents, and let the circus animals out. So sorry."

"Right, refreshments, something something liquid, whats the closest, ah, right!", he speaks, turning to the strange tubing connected to the cube, and casting some magic into it. For about 10 seconds, the cube starts loudly banging. Then, from the tubing that appears poised to receive liquid, the reverse happens: A small spout of a reddish/brownish/yellowish/greenish mixture of liquid spurts out, and levitates into a magically conjured bucket. One of the skeletons picks it up and offers it to Zthulan. It smells beyond disgusting, and shifts slightly on its own accord.

"I made it myself."

A combination of the smell and the knowledge of what the liquid was made of made Rolf blanch momentarily, but he tried to regain his composure. "Zilean, you can't leave liquids stewing in a vat without some sort of preservative, otherwise it just goes bad."

While making small talk, Rolf was looking over at the tubing, trying to figure out how the tubing worked. "Zephy, if you're listening, tell the paladins to be alert; despite his antics, Zilean will be trying to kill us soon. And if one of them has a bottle of holy water left, I'd appreciate if they'd just pull it out. I have a semi-plan in mind."

Rolling Arcana to see if I can figure out how to send liquids in/out through the tubing...9 (1d20) + 14 = 23
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:30 pm

"Zilean, you can't leave liquids stewing in a vat without some sort of preservative, otherwise it just goes bad."

"Don't be silly, my cube-o-fun is filled to the brim with un-perishables. And that wasn't liquid when I tore it off."

"...Red birdies? Were they red before or after you were done with them?"

"NOT EVERYTHING IS A BLOOD AND GORE AND ULTRAVIOLENCE METAPHOR YOU DOOFUS. RED IS RED.", he yells, mildly annoyed.

"Oh, were you saving those for later? Sorry about that, we saw some of the undead being used by the cultists as a race for who would rip apart some civilians at the end. Good times, I'm sure, but then our "good guy" instincts kicked in, yadda yadda yadda, killed the baddies, saved the innocents, and let the circus animals out. So sorry."

Zilean pulls from his robe what appears to be a fake (hopefully) long waxed mustache, and yells:
"CURSES, FOILED AGAIN BY PARTY POOPERS!"

"So, with refreshments out of the way, where does that lead us?"

"Yes, where indeed."
"Well I don't know! Opening the cube-o-fun? Skeleton juggling?"

"But seriously, people are dead and dying because of you, and it has to stop."

"Wait, are you saying... I'm KILLING PEOPLE? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-" *Cont'd for roughly 10 seconds*

See OOC for the roll result, Lynt.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune on Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Frankly skeptical of Zileans "distress", Zthulan decides to probe this subject.  "If you are so distressed by this, perhaps you should move your power base somewhere less populated place?  Perhaps make a castle somewhere far away from the living?  A castle in the desert perhaps?"

Last edited by Azarune on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:09 am

Rolf felt he could get the dragon's fire and holy water into the tube with telekinesis...if there wasn't a mage a century or so stronger ready to stop him. Rolf tried to use Zephy to communicate with the others. "Guys, I'm pretty sure that Zilean's planning on opening the "cube-o-fun" sooner or later. If you can get his attention away from it and me, I might be able to give us a "head start" in harming the abomination. Paladins, if you want to do a "you shall not prosper, evildoer" speech, now would be a good time."

Rolf's plan was to carefully make his way closer to the workbench while the others distracted Zilean. He couldn't help thinking this was a lot easier to do back when he was still invisible.

Rolling Stealth...3 (1d20)...Stubbornness! (1 use remaining)
Rolling...8 (1d20) + 6 = 14
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:28 am

Horizon makes no additional response to the psychic message, but looks at Zthulan. "No, no, we can't just ask him to pick up and move, not after all the work he's put into it. That would be rude." He turns back to Zilean now. "But, I do think this party has run its course a bit. After party can start soon, but for that... I think we need to get rid of the less necessary party guests. Our lightbringer pals can go wait outside, and your creaky, bony buds can dust off...." He keeps watching Zilean, a black tendril snaking its way down his arm once again. "I mean, after all, if we WERE fighting, its not like they'd do you any good. They'd just get in your way, knock things over, make a mess, and its not like you NEED their help. Right?"

Psychic Speaking:
Psychic Speaking – At Will
When talking to someone, instead of making a normal Persuasion check, you may make an Arcana or Persuasion check with a +2 bonus. If the check succeeds, the target believes whatever you told them to be true, and you may have them forget that you told them so. However, this counts as a “mind-altering effect” and if you fail the check made this way, the person you used it against knows you tried to use mind magic on them.
For instance, you may walk up behind someone and tell them that you’re an old friend of theirs. They will turn around and greet you merrily, somewhat embarrassed they don’t remember your name. Perhaps you find yourself on the back of a dragon – no worries, just tell it that it doesn’t know you’re there, and it won’t bother you. Of course, the DCs to actually alter someone’s mind are much higher than normal Persuasion DCs, and the more outlandish your statement, the less likely their mind is to accept the blatant falsehood.

Simultaneously trying to get most of his attention on me, as well as possibly get rid of his minions. I figure asking that has a much better chance than "You are a good guy now, you don't want to kill people or be evil, etc".
Persuasion: 16+12+2 (Aww no intimidation bonus...)= 30
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top