Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Boon Ideas!

+14
A1C Bronymous
Videocrazy
XandZero2
AProcrastinatingWriter
Jason Shadow
Cardbo
LoganAura
Philadelphus
SilentBelle
Ramsus
Zarhon
Demonu
Masterweaver
Stairc -Dan Felder
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New Boon Ideas! - Page 2 Empty Re: New Boon Ideas!

Post  Jason Shadow Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:22 pm

While this might stray a little into combat territory, I still thought it would be a fun option for a boon.

Monstrous Protector
The party has been befriended, imprinted on, or adopted as "pets" by a powerful beast, inscrutable Thing from Beyond, or grotesque horror. The Monstrous Protector remains fiercely loyal to the you and, while it will not actively join you on your adventures, it will do everything in its power to track you down if it hasn't seen any member of your party fairly recently (a couple of weeks to a month or two, depending on the circumstances). The Monstrous Protector will always incite stark terror and frenzied panic when seen by most civilized creatures, and for good reason - while it is not particularly interested in hurting ponies or causing property damage, it will let absolutely nothing stand between it and you, and will bring all of its prodigious might to bear if it ever discovers that you are in danger.
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:55 pm

The Luggage? You made a boon that's the Luggage. lol.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Problem with the Secret Ally and Dubious Ally is that it's an NPC stealing the spotlight from the group whenever they become actively involved.

Not to mention that a Secret Ally coming out of nowhere is usually called a Deus Ex Machina...
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:59 am

I think I might have a slight modification of the Fanclub Idea.

Baker Street Irregulars
A group of schoolcolts and fillies who are employed by your group on a semi-regular basis. They can run errands, but they're main benefit is the gossip and clues they provide. One per day, they can provide a plot relevant clue to move the storyline along.

Not sure if this would qualify as Level 3 Boon or as upgrade to Fanclub.

Last edited by Cardbo on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:47 am

Hmm...a boon...lemme think...well, I can think of one High-Level one at the immediate moment.

Elemental Resonance
You may not be the embodiments of Elements of Harmony themselves, but the members of your group do an excellent job embodying the Element they most identify with, and have thus earned the Elements' attention and favor. From this point on, every time you use one of your Elemental Powers, you may roll a dice. On a roll of 18, 19, or 20 you may use your power without needing to spend a Magic Point.

...I dunno, like the idea that your group is spreading so much Harmony the Elements (gems, not ponies, though my headcanon is that on a metaphysical level they're the same thing) give you extra power to work with to continue doing so, but this seems...off? Maybe everyone should get a new, additional powers dependent on what their Element is instead? And should this really be something high-level if it stays the way it is?
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:58 am

Ooooh. Maybe that is the lv 3(?) boon and at lv 6 or nine...

Elemental embodiment
Prerequisite: Elemental Resonance
Everypony in your group seems to almost be the element that they resonate with. Everypony's elemental power becomes stronger just so long as they haven't acted in a way opposite to their element within 30 minutes Out of game as determined by the DM. if the DM determines you acted against the element IC, your character cannot use their element skill for that period of time.
Honesty: Can ask 3 questions to somepony hostile that they must answer truthfully.
Kindness: Can calm a hostile creature for 30 minutes in game.
Generosity: +20 to a skill check
Loyalty: Can heal a physical condition rather than just a mental ailment
Laughter: Roll 2 numbers on the Tons of Fun table. the DM reveals what those numbers are and you pick which one you activate out of the two
Magic (Friendship for the "Act in a way opposite): Can allow somepony else to use the Magic skill
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:11 pm

One boon we should have is something like,

"Impressive Titles"
Throughout your quests, your party has made quite a name for itself, each of you gaining a reputation for something truly epic you've done in the past. With these reputations come impressive titles, and the titles not only sound cool, but effect the way others see and interact with you as well. It's recommended that each party member gets their own specific title based on their deeds, with a specific bonus to go with it.

Examples:

Maybe one of your party stopped a war from breaking out between the Buffalo and settler ponies, thus gaining the Buffalo's respect. You're title could be, "Buffalo Friend," "Wild Heart," "Sitting Bull" or some other suitable moniker - and every time you interact with Buffalo, they will recognize you as a close friend.

Maybe one of your party slayed a number of dragons, thus gaining the title "Dragon's Bane." Whenever you encounter a dragon, you should get bonuses to intimidation, and the dragon should be less likely to pick a fight with you.

-A high level boon should definitely also be kingship or something of that nature. Maybe your party can start their own nation or rule their own city?

-I also want to see a boon that allows you to call in a team of Super-Heros, or allows you to get Super-Hero style equipment. That would be cool.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:12 pm

LoganAura wrote:Ooooh. Maybe that is the lv 3(?) boon and at lv 6 or nine...

Elemental embodiment
Prerequisite: Elemental Resonance
Everypony in your group seems to almost be the element that they resonate with. Everypony's elemental power becomes stronger just so long as they haven't acted in a way opposite to their element within 30 minutes Out of game as determined by the DM. if the DM determines you acted against the element IC, your character cannot use their element skill for that period of time.
Honesty: Can ask 3 questions to somepony hostile that they must answer truthfully.
Kindness: Can calm a hostile creature for 30 minutes in game.
Generosity: +20 to a skill check
Loyalty: Can heal a physical condition rather than just a mental ailment
Laughter: Roll 2 numbers on the Tons of Fun table. the DM reveals what those numbers are and you pick which one you activate out of the two
Magic (Friendship for the "Act in a way opposite): Can allow somepony else to use the Magic skill

^I also really like this idea of boosting Element abilities.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:55 pm

Aren't boons supposed to be more roleplay rewards, though? That sounds more like a level 4 or 7 Destiny trait, perhaps for something called "Exemplary Element".
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:48 pm

No one had any comment on my "Baker Street Irregulars"?

New Boon Ideas! - Page 2 Sadpanda
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:17 am

I'm making the level 6 and 9 boons tongiht. I'll be drawing from stuff here, I'm sure.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Alright folks, the beta of a complete level-up system is almost done! I just need 3 more level 9 boons. The current ones I have are an Amazing Airship, the Neigh Team (based off Zarhorn's Secret Squad, I'm using a ton of Zarhorn's ideas) and a Barony. Need 3 more!

(Btw I drew inspiration from the Baker Street Irregulars for a bunch of different boons)

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Elemental embodiment
Spoiler:
Oh, so THAT'S where the Elemental Embodiment thing I was thinking of while designing my Friend In Deed destiny went too! I think I managed not to accidentally plagiarize, but I should probably give LoganAura credit for the idea...

Potential level 9 Boon idea (I have no idea if this is too powerful or not powerful enough!):

A Star is Born
Your exploits have become famous enough to attract the attention of Equestria's entertainment moguls. Whether it's writing novels, plays, or screenplays about your adventures, some ponies are prepared to pay good bits for the chance at your story. By selling the rights to your story you earn a steady supply of bits from royalties, and become more recognizable to the average pony on the streets. Depending on the storytelling medium chosen (book, film, etc.), some creatures will have a chance to recognize you on sight, and most will be able to recognize you once you introduce yourself. Your fame precedes you, and most creatures who recognize you will be more than willing to help you in some way – giving you a discount on a room, good, or service, sharing information they otherwise might not, and just generally going out of their way to be helpful.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Philadelphus wrote:I think I managed not to accidentally plagiarize, but I should probably give LoganAura credit for the idea...

But...but what about me? pale

Philadelphus wrote:
A Star is Born
Your exploits have become famous enough to attract the attention of Equestria's entertainment moguls. Whether it's writing novels, plays, or screenplays about your adventures, some ponies are prepared to pay good bits for the chance at your story. By selling the rights to your story you earn a steady supply of bits from royalties, and become more recognizable to the average pony on the streets. Depending on the storytelling medium chosen (book, film, etc.), some creatures will have a chance to recognize you on sight, and most will be able to recognize you once you introduce yourself. Your fame precedes you, and most creatures who recognize you will be more than willing to help you in some way – giving you a discount on a room, good, or service, sharing information they otherwise might not, and just generally going out of their way to be helpful.

I like this one. I like it a lot. Feels like it should be Lvl. 6, though, unfortunately. But maybe that's just me thinking that and Stairc will think differently. Best of luck to you!
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Philadelphus wrote:

Elemental embodiment
Spoiler:
Oh, so THAT'S where the Elemental Embodiment thing I was thinking of while designing my Friend In Deed destiny went too! I think I managed not to accidentally plagiarize, but I should probably give LoganAura credit for the idea...

Potential level 9 Boon idea (I have no idea if this is too powerful or not powerful enough!):

A Star is Born

But aren't contacts like Photo Finish an example of the level 3 boon A Friend In High Places? It seems like you could do that, then get them to do this.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:29 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:
Philadelphus wrote:I think I managed not to accidentally plagiarize, but I should probably give LoganAura credit for the idea...

But...but what about me? pale
Ack! Yes, you're right. I was mostly skimming and just saw that he had proposed Element-specific powers, not that you had originally suggested the idea. I'll go edit that in right away.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Element Bracelets

These may not be as powerful as the necklaces belonging to the current holders of the elements of harmony, but they're the second best thing. Only those who fully embody their respective elements are ever granted these, giving them great honor and marking them as undeniable forces of harmony. Each party member receives a bracelet of their respective element. They cannot be destroyed by any means, or used/worn by anypony other than their respective owners. The bracelet can only be removed by their respective owner, willfully, whilst at their regular state of mind (no mental influences). They can be visible to others, or shift into a ghostly, non-physical form, visible only to other wearers of the bracelets.
The bracelets do the following:
- Allow the wearer to empathically detect non-harmonious events or affiliations relevant to their element, as part of a perception check: Honesty can sense lies/deceit, generosity can sense greed/selfishnes, loyalty can sense betrayal/treatchery, friendship/magic can sense hatred/rage, Kindness can sense cruelty/sadism, Laughter can sense sorrow/seriousness/despair.
- "Harmonious", "natural", innately friendly and/or honor-abiding creatures gain an innate liking for you, if they can see your bracelets: Non-violent animals will be posed to help you, ponies will trust you and confide in you more, even if you are strangers to them, etc...
- Non-harmonious creatures will innately fear or "respect" those whose elements are opposite to them: Diamond dogs will fear those with generosity bracelets, changelings will fear loyalty, and such.
- Creatures with the pursuit of harmony as a primary goal (e.g. Celestia) will greatly respect you and help you in every way they can.
- Allows the first use of an element of harmony ability to come at no magic point cost. Subsequent uses have a cost as normal.
- Prevent the natural decay or any other damage to the pony's body after death, preserving their body, intact, for eternity. "Eternal bodies" can easily be revived from death through special means with no negative side-effects, but not if the pony does not wish to be revived or has died of old age.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:21 pm

Network of Contacts
Prerequisite: Fanclub, Baker Street Irregulars.
You know ponies. Everywhere. From the corridors of power of Canterlot, to the lowly street sweeper. You can get info on anyone or anything. At the request of the player, once game session, the PH must provide an NPC that can provide answers on a specific subject.

My writing is a little clunky, and I think the per session usage may be a little low.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Sanctuary
You have gained a supernatural, trans-dimensional sanctum. This sanctum is protected by three powerful magical constructs (capable of fighting off adult dragons) at your command, bound to the sanctum, and completely impenetrable and undetectable by unallowed, outside influences. The sanctum is isolated from Equestria and is capable of surviving the heat-death of the universe. Time flows oddly within the sanctum, allowing creatures within to persist without need for sleep, eat, or drink (they still age though, and time flows normally within and outside it). The sanctum is large enough to contain up to 500 individuals (or one fully adult dragon). The sanctum is granted barren, empty of any features (other than very basic architecture) and must be supplied at the party's expense. To enter the sanctum, at least two members of the party must perform a ritual to summon its portal. The preparation time of the ritual depends on the size of the portal: dragon sized portals can take an hour to open, pony sized ones take 5 minutes. The portal can be closed instantly afterwards (this wont cause a "portal cut though), and any creature can enter it by passing though. Magical effects (e.g. a fireball) cannot pass through the portal unless it is in the form of an enchantment on an object or person. The constructs can be ordered to do various tasks within the sanctum, such as assist inhabitants, protect them, imprison them/prevent them from leaving, but cannot leave the sanctum.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Demonu wrote:Would there ever be a reason not to agree with such a proposal?

Oh, I think I can think of a few. Mostly relating to a certain Dragon-obsessed Unicorn.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Or if you want to save the power for later.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:25 am

The ultimate cake recipe
Legends of this sweet dessert have been passed down for generations. It's deliciousness is said to have caused wars to be waged over it. Its recipe has been locked, hidden away from mortals, for none are worthy to taste it... Until now. Through some miracle, you've uncovered the recipe and have in your power to bake a prime example of... the ultimate cake.
- This cake can be used to steer leaders of nations and races to abandon their previous alliances and swear fealty to you. It can cause hated enemies to grovel at your feet. It can even earn a special favor from Celestia herself. It is a powerful diplomatic tool.
- Alternately, the party can feast on the cake (20 minute prep time). Doing so grants them full physical, mental and spiritual recovery, grants them and any nearby allies a +10 bonus to all checks and allows them to either cause three random effects from the "Tons of Fun" table to occur (at will) during that session, or just one specific to happen (that the party hand-picks), at will.

To make the cake, they must spend an entire day baking it, spend a minimum of two magic points and pay a Tom-sized diamond worth of bits. The cake can only be baked/used once every two sessions and lasts for the duration of that session. You are granted an "ultimate cake" at no cost when you first choose this boon.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Zarhon wrote:The ultimate cake recipe
Legends of this sweet dessert have been passed down for generations. It's deliciousness is said to have caused wars to be waged over it. Its recipe has been locked, hidden away from mortals, for none are worthy to taste it... Until now. Through some miracle, you've uncovered the recipe and have in your power to bake a prime example of... the ultimate cake.
- This cake can be used to steer leaders of nations and races to abandon their previous alliances and swear fealty to you. It can cause hated enemies to grovel at your feet. It can even earn a special favor from Celestia herself. It is a powerful diplomatic tool.
- Alternately, the party can feast on the cake (20 minute prep time). Doing so grants them full physical, mental and spiritual recovery, grants them and any nearby allies a +10 bonus to all checks and allows them to either cause three random effects from the "Tons of Fun" table to occur (at will) during that session, or just one specific to happen (that the party hand-picks), at will.

To make the cake, they must spend an entire day baking it, spend a minimum of two magic points and pay a Tom-sized diamond worth of bits. The cake can only be baked/used once every two sessions and lasts for the duration of that session. You are granted an "ultimate cake" at no cost when you first choose this boon.

Hah! I've got nothing to add, but I like this one.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 pm

[i]The Box[/i] (level 9 reward)

The Box is a smallish wooden box, about a foot in width, hight and depth. It has strong-looking wooden crossbars on the sides, and a hinged lid with a simple latch. If a player tries to determine if ur is magic in any way whatsoever, the readings are off the chart, blindingly strong, whatever.

However, once per game day a player may open the box and attempt to retrieve an item. The inside of the box is a giant chasm, an endless mineshaft with wooden walls, going down hundreds of metres inside, with sudes that appear to widen out. An elf rich glow can be seen down below, and the onlookers can see occasional cracked and flashes of energy in the eerie fog. To use the box the player must close his/her/it's eyes and reach into the box, imagining strongly what they want to get out. the item must be able to fit through the opening, but can be as valuable, rare, or unique as you like.
Roll a d10.
If the result is 6 or more, the requested item appears with a flash of light in their hoof/hand/claw/other and upon removing the appendage, the lid snaps shut.
If the result is 2 through 5, nothing happens. If hand is removed, box closes as above.
If the result is one, an unearthly shriek is loosed, and all light is extinguished as the box begins to crackle with unholy energy and raw magic. A black light rises with astonishing rapidity u the interior of the box. The player with the hand in the box makes an Athletics check to yank their hand from it before the liquid light can fry them. If they succeed, they make it and only the tips of their appendage is touched, dealing one point of damage.
If they fail, they take 2d10 + 5 damage (which cannot take you below -5 hp) from the light significantly touching them. What's more, their entire arm/leg is engulfed by a swirling cloud of dark, which then sinks into the limb, leaving a crazy-paving myriad of black, glistening, oily scars. These cannot be removed by any magic short of the Princesses, but will fade to ordinary looking scars after two game months, and vanish entirely after a game year.
The box then snaps shut, the glow stops and light returns.

If they open the box a second time in the day, it appears to be an ordinary wooden box, no matter what happened when it was opened.

So the idea behind this was a really useful box that has a 1-in-10 chance to really hurt and disfigure you.
Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 pm

While this idea is better suited for a Destiny and even does have a drafted one last I checked but I thought, "What if the whole party wants to play superhero but they don't wanta all pick the same Destiny in order to do it?" Then this attempt at making a Boon was born:

Secret Identity/SuperHero Alter-Ego
The whole party gains one Super Hero Costume to wear and whenever they wear said costume Nopony is able to tell the Pony in question is the same pony as the non-costumed pony even if there isn't a Mask apart of their costume. It takes no less then at lest a 30 DC Perception skill check in order for anypony who isn't told the Super Pony and that pony's non-costumed self are the same pony. And might take a 20 DC Persuasion Check to convince somepony that you are the Super Hero Pony that you in fact are while uncostumed. (This would be a case by case basis after all if the Pony in question is being told would normally believe the Hero Pony such a skill check is unneeded.) The SuperPony's may take a skill that is not their Cutie Mark skill to be there "Hero Skill" and they're allowed when they are costumed to reroll any nat 1s or normal failure Skill Checks made in that skill.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next