Moonbound [PT, Skype, Recruiting]

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Moonbound [PT, Skype, Recruiting]

Post  AleneShazam on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:13 am

Just wondering if this is still alive, since it looks pretty interesting to play in.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreyVestibule on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:16 pm

To tell the truth, this hasn't been quite alive to begin with, the game never got out of the initial recruiting phase. Senshuken was the only person who made a character sheet to completion, so I never really gave the game a start. Like I said, I was waiting for at least a couple more people to get on board. If there's interest though, I'm still willing to GM this.
GreyVestibule
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Is the player who first enrolled here still declaring the will to play?

How may people would you be willing to start with? If i'm counting right, theorectically speaking, there could be three of us at the moment. How does that sound?
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreyVestibule on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:38 pm

I believe I would feel comfortable with having three players to start with.
GreyVestibule
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:52 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:I'll post tentative interest, but I'm not decided yet. I'll wait to see what other players come up with before committing.
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:17 am

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15YlNWmSGLKIGj87CqfXvIGf4dKf1uX2m6KVkMScx3PM/edit?usp=sharing
This is F'Nar Efthag, Effie for short.
She's a unicorn (mostly, also part elder god) cultist to the mighty Great Old One, Nythzul the Walking Swamp.
Combat wise, she has a mix between debuffing and ongoing damage (Supporting damage dealer)

AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreyVestibule on Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:33 am

Alright, so I've been giving Effie a lookover, sorry for taking so long. On the small end of things, you're a hair overbudget on your abilities, by one point, so I'm gonna say you'll need to take out or replace an ability until after some leveling.

The thing that I've been thinking on the most, is how to approach the “flavor” of the character. The Lovecraftian influences are clear, and understandable—based on your Colthulhu campaign you're trying to get going I can see you're a fan of the cosmic horror type stuff. And while I like your character and find her interesting for the those touches she has, I've been trying to figure out if that jives well with the campaign I've got lined up. At a ground level, I don't have a problem with incorporating this character who has been tinged by strange, otherworldly influences. It's reconciling the big picture that I take issue with, especially since the character is apparently imbued in part with the consciousness of one of these lovecraftian entities. The thing is, I'm not trying to run a Call of Cthulhu games.

To be clear, I would think it to be within the realm of possibility that there are beings with immense power, potentially older than than Princesses, who might be targeted with respect or worship in the deep dark corners of Equestria. Heck, Discord ruled over a more chaotic Equestria in the past before Celestia and Luna sealed him in stone, and the presence of the likes of Tirek, a being from “a distant land” who threatened Equestria feels like it could, if taken to it's logical conclusion, imply there could be more beings of immense power in distant or hidden lands whose power rivals that of the Princesses, some whose way of thinking are so at odds with pony mentality that it could cause issues if they were mentally connected with ponies in some way.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that I feel your character can work, though it may not be in quite the way you're thinking, if you're going for a straight up Cthulhu Mythos type interpretation. Effie sharing her headspace with the essence of some ancient monster – yeah, I can see that making her nutty. The tentacles, shoggoth, and sensory effecting powers, yeah I can see that having an affect on ponies, freaking them out, but you're not necessarily going to be having your opponents rolling for SAN, if you catch my drift.

I'll also say, that the emotion instability, speaking of moments of rage and madness and such does set off some flags. The mention that she's more helpful most of the times helps and I am aware that nutty characters can still be good contributors as well. Just understand that it triggers some pavlovian wary feelings from dealing with RPs where crazy characters would derail the game in un-fun ways, and I would ask that you run your character responsibly.

In short: If you think you're okay with having your character's concept reinterpreted, she could be okay. Otherwise it might be best if you try for a different sort of character.
GreyVestibule
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:53 am

I was under the impression that the companion ability gave two free points for the companion to spend? So right now counting up all the abilities including companion ones it should tally up to 33 points since I allocated an additional point to Shoggy, bringing the pet points to 3. In regards to the madness type abilities, I'm well aware I'm not going to make anyone roll SAN but that's why Shoggy has Dirty Look to make people 'go crazy'. I'm fairly sure Effie's abilities let me mimic the effects of madness fairly well, so it should all work out naturally without having to incorporate gameplay elements from CoC.

Also, I think I need to clarify (and rectify a bit after realizing what I've written) that she doesn't possess the actual consciousness of Nythzul, that's a bit of an exaggeration on my part. I rather meant she was in a 'blessed' state where she was able in invoke the power of Nythzul alone, whereas cult chants were generally only acknowledged in larger ceremonies. No mortal can truly 'share' headspace with an old one, imo, but they can just slightly catch their attention and squeeze a little more juice from them than usual. No more than what a talented unicorn could achieve on their own, but Effie's not so lucky, so she needs to go a bit nutty for a bit of power.

Which brings me to my final point. I've also clarified her mental condition: she's going to be acting more or less tolerable on the whole, just with a few outbursts now and then, which was my intention. I too hesitate playing deadpool type characters because of past experience with such characters.

I've made some changes along these lines, Effie should be to your liking now. Let me know if she's still problematic.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreyVestibule on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:04 am

Alright, I gave her another lookover. You were right about the companion getting two ability points. It seems that I glossed over that detail on my initial check of that. Your ability point count checks out.

With regards to what I said about SAN checks, I feel I should make a clarification that I was speaking metaphorically. Basically what I was saying was I wouldn't figure your character would be making others go nuts, not unless it was a concentrated, deliberate effort to traumatize them (which doesn't appear to be Effie's MO from how you've described her, so I feel safe about that). Shoggy's ability does feel appropriate as I can definitely see how an amorphous eye-covered thing like a shoggoth can be used to inspire deep unsettling terror that translates mechanically to a dice roll debuff.

Thank you for the clarifications by the way. I do realize that some in part are repeats of of what you've said, but I do appreciate that there is a mutual understanding of being able to have a decent, functioning character. For now, I do feel comfortable enough with the character to consider her acceptable.
GreyVestibule
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:00 pm

It's good to see that this is starting to pick up again. I was worried that it would die before it had the chance to take off.
Senshuken
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:52 pm

Also, I hate to be a stickler but her name is spelled Efthag, instead of Efthad.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreyVestibule on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:25 am

It's cool, I must have mistyped or something while putting her in the roster.
GreyVestibule
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:48 am

So how many people are we looking to have before we start?
Senshuken
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:58 am

one, maybe two more players?
GreyVestibule mentioned wanting 4 players but would be willing to roll with 3.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreyVestibule on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:25 am

As AleneShazam said, I'm looking to hold out for at least one more player. Terrestial was among those who expressed the recent interest so I'm hoping they'll be able to draw up a character sheet soon.

EDIT: I didn't forget Bronymous, it's just he mentioned being tentative, waiting to see what the other players would come up with.
GreyVestibule
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:13 am

GreyVestibule wrote:As AleneShazam said, I'm looking to hold out for at least one more player. Terrestial was among those who expressed the recent interest so I'm hoping they'll be able to draw up a character sheet soon.

On the first of July i have the very last of my finals, if that's any indication about my recent activity. Despite the fact that i'm going to be pressed into finding a new home, i should have much more time after that.

I see we have an abundance of knowledgeable characters, don't we? Can't say i didn't consider one of a similar kind in the first place...
Maybe i'll go for something more down-to-earth... and re-shape the former into Alene's game.
We'll see.

Spoiler:
Also, loving that Effie. She's a qt.
Spoiler:
Hope she doesn't eat us.
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:32 am

Terrestial wrote:
I see we have an abundance of knowledgeable characters, don't we? Can't say i didn't consider one of a similar kind in the first place...
Yeah... I'm thinking we need a bit more muscle in this game. The nerds are kind of overabundant. I was initially going to have a precision/horsesense griffon gunslinger but effie won out in the end.

At least Effie has horse sense as a secondary so we have our resident diplomancer as well.
...Have the lovecraftian cultist as our diplomancer. This can only go well.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreyVestibule on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:17 pm

Okay, finals and having a place to live, definitely important things to take care of. Hopefully neither will give you too much trouble, good luck with them.

And yeah, it's looking like characters of a physical persuasion will be a good idea, at least for having some diversity of character types. You could probably also have a character with a split between some of the physical and mental stats if you really want to have one who gets some of that action.

AleneShazam wrote:At least Effie has horse sense as a secondary so we have our resident diplomancer as well.

This has potential for something wonderful, I can tell.
GreyVestibule
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:07 pm

VEEEEERY tentative. Like, not even going to consider another skype game for another month, maybe 2. But if it takes that long and I can do it, I'll be happy to throw in Flashpoint for that superior brawny athletic-type character.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Alright! I took a day off from studying after being done with a particualrly bothersome exam series (only final boss remaining) - and since people engaged in this campaign are expecting just one more person in order to shoot off - i used practically all of it... hell, even a bit more than a full day - to actually finish what i've started.

No regrets.

Here's the little bugger; my pride and joy:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tbtJTWwrIJIpE0yc1K296EUSIgAJFLP5ggvOcG0spQA/edit?usp=sharing

Flying's expensive as buck, but to hell with that.

It was A LOT of fun devising him, especially the combat part. Since there' s only three of us, i took the liberty of thoroughly studying what Senshuken and Alene came up with and made my character exactly in order to match those two - as well the actual number of ponies of our group. If you're wondering what's wrong with this build - wait and see - i promise you're gonna love it.

Mechanically speaking, i'll be roleplaying a humble tank/support, as to fill in the gaps, with the former part manifesting itself more clearly at the second/third level. If we get to live that long. Thought that the more reliable and versatile support part is gonna be more useful before things get really tough.

GreyVestibule wrote:And yeah, it's looking like characters of a physical persuasion will be a good idea, at least for having some diversity of character types. You could probably also have a character with a split between some of the physical and mental stats if you really want to have one who gets some of that action.

I believe you'll have all the muscle you needed with him on board. I'm actually happy to have him the way he is. It'll contribute to the delightful balance i'm usually after:
I'll be roleplaying him, a simple stallion here, while having a resourceful mare in Alene's Colthulhu game. Together, they're gonna make all of the scale - at least in a few dimensions.

Gosh! Can't believe i've done it today. Was gonna drop two hours ago. Woo~!

I only ask that we start after the 1st of July though, from the reasons i've mentioned before. Guess we might have time before that to discuss whatever more is needed to start the game.
Schedule, for one matter.

Other than that, i'd have been more than happy to see your faces when you receive this post, with the char sheet so much earlier than announced, hahah.

Also:

AleneShazam wrote:At least Effie has horse sense as a secondary so we have our resident diplomancer as well.

What Vestibule said.

I'm going to purposely step back and enjoy the show.

This is going to be beautiful.
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GreyVestibule on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:49 pm

To Bronymous: That's cool dude, take all the time you need. If you don't feel you want in by the end of your month or two or however long, that's fine. I'm keeping the door open in the meantime for any additional players who might want to jump in later, including you.

Now, on the matter of our new character: Ooh, a beefy pegasus, I like the sound of him. His point allocation checks out everywhere too, which is nice. Welcome to the team.

And yes, verily, we have the minimum three needed, so discussion of what is needed is certainly relevant.

First, dice roll method. I've made an impromptu room over at rolz.org for everyone to check out and mess around with to get familiar with it (just go to https://rolz.org/join and type Moonbound into Room Name). If you all feel comfortable with using that, we can. If anyone else has alternative suggestions, I will consider them.

On another note, I'm going to need all of you to provide a skype name. If you don't feel comfortable giving it out publicly, PM me with it, and I'll add you to the group.

Now, as mentioned, there is the matter of scheduling as well. Earlier back in the thread, I was talking to Senshuken about doing the game at 6pm EST Saturday, which lined up with 9am AEST Sunday. This has gotten a little bungled up in the meantime because I'm now functioning under EDT (what with daylight savings and everything), which is only a matter of an hour, but it's still a reminder of how there can be a need to make sure we're all on the same page in terms of knowing when we meet up. To that end I'm going to ask that all players please state their time zones along with their UTC values to make absolutely sure we all have an understanding of how we're lining up with eachother's day.

For the record, as I said, I'm currently functioning in EDT (Eastern Daylight Time), UTC -4:00.

In terms of length, I'm aiming to have sessions last somewhere in the ballpark of 2-3 hours, so a hypothetical session starting at 6 would end before 9 rolls around. If we start getting close and it looks like an intended end isn't in sight, I'll find a cutoff point and have us resume at the next session. This is both to make sure we don't go over and potentially run into things everyone might have scheduled, as well as to make it easier for me to record and potentially edit.

As for dates: After July 1st is fine by me, gives me time to get my ducks in a row both IRL and for the game. I would say the Saturday after, but I'm not sure how well that would work for everyone, since that'll be Independence Day for american players. My eyes would be on the Saturday after, but that would depend on how everyone is feeling about the timing, if people will want to start sooner. I know this sort of thing can require some fine discussion, so this might be best left up to discussion within the pending Skype group. If you want to offer your thoughts here in the meantime though, that should be fine, it'll get the conversation rolling at least.
GreyVestibule
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:40 pm

Well, you already know what my time is; It's earlier in this thread. I have been feeling a bit under the weather lately but it should clear out before July 1st hopefully.
Senshuken
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:10 pm

I operate on UTC+8, but that shouldn't be an issue due to my shitty sleeping habits.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Checked the dice rolling site. Seems fine to me.

As for the timezone, for now i'm operating on CEST - meaning UTC +2:00.

Can't say i i'm American, so the Independence Day ain't a problem for me.
I'd definitely wish to start as soon as possible after 1st of July. Any day's fine. What about you, guys?
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Honestly I'm fine with any old day, but weekends will be the best for me, though since I'm having my holidays I can start with weekdays for now.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top