Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion

+2
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
6 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:16 am

Y'know, I got to see the first 45 seconds or so before I got to watch the full episode, and the moment I saw the statue of gemstones that represented the togetherness, I knew that this episode was setting Spike up for the fall. But boy I had no idea how right I was...

This was the Equestrian variant of the Kobayashi Maru. Hell, it was even worse, it was a no-win episode designed to hurt. Other episodes may have characters having to overcome obstacles, or try a new path and realizing that heading straight down it will lead to a dead end, but this one just throws Spike into free fall and expects him to slow himself down as much as possible before his inevitable crash. And it's not like the plot line survived either. It's dead, Jim. Mangled into a horrible mess. First it's an episode about making sure you accomplish your goal can impede the goals of others. Okay, I don't know if you can pull a good moral out of that, but let it play out. Then it becomes having to deal with complaints without your supervisor. Customer Service The Episode? I mean, you guys made the plight of a commission designer into an episode, so okay. But then it's like "Nope, it's about abusing power". Wait what? What does that have anything to do with anything? Hell, what was the abuse of power in the end? Gems and a Painting? Was this even mentioned later in the episode? Did this have any EFFECT what-so-ever on the plot? Then stuff from earlier in the episode happen and its about acting on behalf of others? What? And then the final moral is back to not abusing power despite that being basically a footnote? What? And then something about everyone playing their part? WHAT? At least Spike At Your Service was consistent in its message. Mind you, that last one does run as an underlying theme through the episode, as in "no one cares about what role you have Spike, now accept it". What the hell? Some of those problems were caused because no one cared about what he has to say. He HAD to use Twilight's power to solve problems or leave people angry and disappointed anyway. Hell, the whole "Keep Twilight Asleep" was doomed from the start, as clearly no one was told to not interrupt Twilight in the first place. Hell, she had plans made, ponies were going to end up going to her at some point. In fact, how did Twilight "I'm so good at planning that I'm gonna spend three days awake right before the important summit that will go down well" Sparkle get off the hook without even apologizing for herself. She's the root of all the problems of the episode. And I know sleeping during the day wasn't part of her plan, because she had schedules made and didn't have anything prepared for others in case of emergencies. But of course Spike gets all the blame, because **** him. In fact, let's spend ever other moment inflicting pain and undermining his character and importance, watching as his character jumps around from competent, incompetent, and greedy corner-cutter as he has done through the entire bloody show. Slamming him with a door? That sounds like fun. And you know what, let's add a brand new flora designed explicitly to ruin Spike's ****ing day. And let's give it to him at the VERY END after the so-so heartwarming moment so we get the last laugh! ****ING BRILLIANT! **** this ****ing ****ity ****ing ****!

Spike episodes are very make or break. They either turn out well or turn out awful. And it's not like there's this secret on how to do it. The writers just choose not to. I don't know if it is out of not knowing what to do with the character, avoiding giving him a spotlight to stand against the Mane 6, or simply out of spite, but the fact that the Abused Spike is still a thing upsets me. I genuinely think this is my least liked episode of the entire show. I've skipped through parts of an episode before, usually the cringe-fest parts because I can't stand them, but this episode is a first where I actively skipped what I could just so the episode ended as soon as possible, and it wasn't even cringeworthy...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:58 pm

I thought it was alright.

The "everything goes wrong" trope is something I've found in the past that I generally don't enjoy. As was stated during a recent Game of Thrones video game playthrough I watched, so many situations like these would not happen if characters just opened their mouths and explained what was going on. "Shut up and listen, this is the situation" would solve everything and end the episode within 5 minutes in these kinds of plots. The difference I found with this episode, though, was that Spike was intentionally stupid- not the other ponies, Spike. He was put in a bad situation, made a few bad decisions, and then when in other stories we would all be feeling sorry for the character who can't get a break and are hoping for resolution, Spike decides "fuck it, let it roll". He starts becoming the bad guy because the situation won't let him win, which I found... better than the alternative. It's refreshing to see the guy eating shit decide to take advantage of the situation rather than just get steamrolled and rescued at the end.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Glorious Pink Party Pony episode is up. Is great success.

Commentaries!:

TLDR notes:
- The Yaks are the embodiment of the Internet/Ron Burgundy/Dwarf Fortress.
- Pinkie Pie is Best Pony and Ringo. Much character development, very solid, always funny/amazing.
- Cherry Jubilee! She almost died.
- Wonderbolts-Ex-Machina!
- No Cheese Sandwich makes me sad. You lied to me, spoilers!
- Pinkie Pie confirmed for a definitive permanent residence in SugarCube Corner, including a FunCave. No psychic powers, though, just crazy amounts of stalking. And organization. And with plans that span centuries, because she's obviously immortal. Probably everyone she plans a party too. Even if they don't want to be!
- A list of things Twilight Sparkle likes! And a fear of a certain food.

Last edited by Zarhon on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Reaction faces incoming.....

Haven't finished watching it yet, but so far I'm really confused as to why anything that's happening is actually happening.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:54 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:Haven't finished watching it yet, but so far I'm really confused as to why anything that's happening is actually happening.
Shhh... Do not struggle. Let the Pinkie Pie happen. Relax.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:29 pm

New episode! Featuring continuity and a palette swap.

Commentaries - Amending Fences:

TLDR:

- New (actually old) characters! Minuette is adorable and genki and perfect and not time traveling probably but very hourglass obsessed.
- Moondancer is basically all those "What if Twilight Sparkle never left canterlot/friendship lessons" fics condensed into a canon character, to the point of being a palette swap of her!
- Much of the continuity is enforced, referenced, or 'justified'. Apparently the ponies do things behind the scenes, including Lyra.
- New spells! From a silencing field, to copying Link's paper-walk powers.
- Spike's not mistreated this episode. He's a good, well-written character when he's got the assistant/snarker role.
- The plot throws us for a loop by pullig a bait & switch on the problem. The original 'big' problem turns out to be water under the bridge / easily fixed / not a problem to begin with, whilst the unassuming problem, that Twilight makes a wild (yet correct!) guess of cause and solution for, becomes major for the plot and psyche of Moondancer. Man, what is up with parties being either a trauma-magnet or a cure-all?
- Filly Twilight! Now with a filly voice! Also, beakers, man.
- Pinkie Pie mocks physics yet again, just like a certain Sonic character.
- Starlight Glimmer makes a tiny, surprise appearance of foreshadowy nature. Looks like she's either living in Canterlot, unaware of Purplesmart, or is outright stalking her for revenge purpose.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:24 pm

You missed the hidden "Colgate, the dentist pony" reference- Filly Minuette has braces.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:55 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:You missed the hidden "Colgate, the dentist pony" reference- Filly Minuette has braces.

There's also the fact that she's smiling all the time.
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Well, this is a pretty epic episode, so let's get the commentary rolling!

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?:

TLDR stuff:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Zarhon on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:52 pm

................Shit.

Sun Sets headcanon confirmed. Sort of.

EDIT:
Oh my god, this dream sequence... I can't. I literally can't even.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:39 pm

Out of all the places we thought we were going, multiple hiatuses were not expected...

But we're back! Back to burn away our fickle lives in front of a luminescent glow and varying wavelengths. Hurray. For me, this episode was a bit of a slow burner. I felt that the exposition went on a bit too long, and the episode sorta danced between multiple lessons which weakened the two or three or so, but otherwise was a solid episode with some good moments and a nice song that channeled some elements from Art of the Dress...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:58 pm

They're back! Starting off with a Rarity episode.

Have a vid embed! And then social-economic commentary via miniature pastel-colored horses.

Canterlot Boutique:

Notable things:
- Sassy seems to imply at least one business she was behind to have failed, or that pony resumes are faulty and background checks don't exit.
- A new pony 'model'. Yeah. Not even going to comment.
- The Mane Six are surprisingly 'kicked out' of the episode (despite it potentially solving conflicts, albeit awkwardly), and seem to serve Spike's usual role of 'saying what the crowd is thinking'.
- Rarity was apparently set to remain in Ponyville for good, and never even intended to move to Canterlot permanently, episode drama notwithstanding! She should be element of loyalty!
- The song was nice, but... somehow, still not memorable. Probably because it was split into no less than four parts over the episode.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Rarity Investigates is out!

Rarity Investigates:

Notable notables:
- Sassy returns. Yay?
- Lots of Noir and fun scenes from Rarity (and a few 'Mentally-Advanced-Series-channeling' ones). This is arguably one of her better if not best episodes.
- One of the outfits is a Dr. Who reference (Missy). Another is an obvious Carmen Sandiego nod.
- All the clues presented by Rarity are shown in advance of the 'crime', just like in the last 'investigation' episode.
- The plot is INCREDIBLY predictable. Wind Rider screams 'guilty' from the moment you see him, the crime becomes obvious before it's revealed, and the clues scattered about stand out enough to be significant (especially when you take the previous investigation episode into account).
- Equestria has draconic regulations that make ponies unable to get employment ever again, as well as a 'guilty until proven innocent' judicial process.
- Spitfire's mom! She's a palette swap of Ms. Harshwhinny. Also appearing are Sherlock references and new colors of guards.
- Rarity's famous/vain enough to have her own logo/pattern symbol on her luggage.
- Rainbow Dash is mostly demoted to a 'Spike' role of having bad stuff happening to her, being the focus of conflicts, questioning the antics of Rarity,  lamphading, and being comic relief. Rarity thus steals the show from her (quite literally, with the sepia theme). On the plus side, she's still adorable and makes faces.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Pretty standard film noir parody this episode. I did a project about Film Noir a while back, so that's funny. The episode could have done with some more use of chiaroscuro though...

About the storyline, while I (along with everyone else) knew it was gonna be Wind Rider Dude who did the crime, a tiny, tiny part of me hoped it wouldn't have been. With a few minor tweaks to the storyline, I could totally see an alternative version where Spitfire was the one behind this all...

P.S. I also noticed some somewhat subtle encouraging of good behavior for children. Remember kids, your favourite ponies enjoy broccoli and wear sun cream...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:19 am

Paper Shadow wrote:Pretty standard film noir parody this episode. I did a project about Film Noir a while back, so that's funny. The episode could have done with some more use of chiaroscuro though...

About the storyline, while I (along with everyone else) knew it was gonna be Wind Rider Dude who did the crime, a tiny, tiny part of me hoped it wouldn't have been. With a few minor tweaks to the storyline, I could totally see an alternative version where Spitfire was the one behind this all...

P.S. I also noticed some somewhat subtle encouraging of good behavior for children. Remember kids, your favourite ponies enjoy broccoli and wear sun cream...

Agreed. They telegraphed Windrider being the villain so hard, I was hoping that it wasn't going to be him.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:06 am

Plenty happened over the last week, including a few things that are of spoilery or leaked nature, so keep those under relevant spoiler tags.

First off, there was the leaked (spoilers onwards) Halloween/Nightmare-Night episode, Scare-Master (SPOILERS IN LINK), which has yet to be officially aired, but is available on the internet anyways.
Scare-Master commentary:
TLDR notable bits:

Then, there was the Made in Manehattan episode.
Made in Manehattan Commentary:

TLDR notable bits:

Finally, there was the third Equestria Girls movie, Equestria Girls 3: Friendship Games!
Part1:

Part 2:

TLDR bits:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:12 pm

New episode! Brotherhooves Social!

Brotherhooves Social Silly Commentary:

Notable notables:
- The episode ties in as a 'parallel episode' to the events of Made in Manehattan.

- Scootaloo confirmed for sister-less, with RD as a surrogate. And they're working great!

- It aint' easy being an actual background pony / brother of a universe-saving mane character. Wonder how Shiny feels?

- Big Mac is worryingly good at cross-dressing and bad-but-technically-workable-plans, and fancy lady dialogue. And (almost) nobody buys it, but they're cool with it!

- The moral is basically a lesson for parents: "(Your) Kids are shallow and will stop respecting you on a whim as they grow up.", or for kids, "Don't ignore your family trying to get your affection."

- Interesting view on the whole outcome of the competition. Disqualified, but for a different reason!

- I'm amazed Applebloom had as much patience and no mockers for the competition. Luckily, Diamond Tiara is sister-less and absent enough to make the whole fiasco a traumatizing event.

- Applejack seems to be the first pony to be officially recognized for, well, saving the world.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:37 pm

Well, they said long ago that an episode like this was a sign of the end-times. We've had a good run people. Exactly five years today, apparently. Fun stuff...

Leaked Episode 21 Related Picture:
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:15 am

Wow. It actually happened... and a complete hard left from where they were directing it to from the beginning.

I feel like you're right, though, sign of the end times. I can't help but feel like we're only a few steps away from one final Finale...
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:02 am

Paper Shadow wrote:Well, they said long ago that an episode like this was a sign of the end-times. We've had a good run people. Exactly five years today, apparently. Fun stuff...

I haven't seen the episode, but I'm obviously missing something. Did the show jump the shark again?
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:00 am

Cardbo wrote:
Paper Shadow wrote:Well, they said long ago that an episode like this was a sign of the end-times. We've had a good run people. Exactly five years today, apparently. Fun stuff...

I haven't seen the episode, but I'm obviously missing something.  Did the show jump the shark again?
Nothing will ever be the same again...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Well, they did mentally prepare us for it. And we've had shark-jumpings before (LAAAARSOOOON). This might give the writers more freedom/options for the next season.

Crusaders of the Lost Mark:

So, notable things about the episode:

- Return of LittlePip! He doesn't do much.

- Politics!

- Apparently, the school found itself a bit damaged/demolished by the previous finale episode rampages.

- This is most certainly a musical episode, as fitting it's ending.

- Silver Spoon (finally) ditches Diamond Tiara! Then comes right back to her.

- Diamond Tiara... isn't a stereotypical heartless/rich/spoiled alpha bitch anymore! She's got a good bunch of songs this episode. Both villain and... other.

- Luckily, her mother, Spoiled Rich, now assumed the role of 'huge rich bitch'.

- The synopsis was such that it misleaded everyone - seeming like the CMC would screw up the election (and 'helping' DT that way), rather than contributing to her 'redeeming'.

- The bombshell of the CMC cutie marks! On one hand, they've got their 'talents' (singing/scooters/bloomin') on them, but they're also kind of symbiotically themed to the whole CMC business. The colors kind of make them difficult to discern, though, even if it fits their color schemes. I feel like they could have gone with a less, well, bland-looking choice of symbol.

- Derpy! She apparently got promoted!

- The 'freakishly strong pony' is a subtle reference to the hedgehog's dilemma.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:02 pm

Their cutie marks are kinda small in comparison to everypony else'. Good episode otherwise.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:02 am

Eh. Another musical episode, another "realization of destiny". Seen it before, and I guess Twilacorn adequately prepared me for this kind of stuff. It has the same issue as Musical Magical Beatles Reference Mystery Cure, too many songs, not enough actual plot to make the big change seem justified.

Plus, a "helping others figure out their Cutie Marks" Cutie Mark sounds like it'll be the worst. Good to know that the three of them will be relegated to being Guidance Counselors when they finally grow up and have to get jobs.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:25 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:Eh. Another musical episode, another "realization of destiny". Seen it before, and I guess Twilacorn adequately prepared me for this kind of stuff. It has the same issue as Musical Magical Beatles Reference Mystery Cure, too many songs, not enough actual plot to make the big change seem justified.

Plus, a "helping others figure out their Cutie Marks" Cutie Mark sounds like it'll be the worst. Good to know that the three of them will be relegated to being Guidance Counselors when they finally grow up and have to get jobs.

Or Foal Psychologists.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next