Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

5 posters

Page 5 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 33  Next

Go down

Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures - Page 5 Empty Re: Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Post  Caden2112 Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:20 am

Aurora studied the gem and locket in detail, her expression shifting first to annoyance, then a moment of surprise, then curiosity. "That's odd...Hmm...It's almost like...Wait. Huh. That's...Unusual. These two...The gem and this locket? There's something odd about them. They're magic, but that's...All I can say. It's like the enchantments are trying to hide themselves away. I don't understand why anypony would do that, unless they were trying to pass something off as just having sentimental value or something...Curious. If I had more time or somewhere to study it in depth, maybe I could get more, but, right now? Sadly, that's all I can tell you." She paused in her analysis, glancing at the others for input. "Though, I wonder if Mirrored knew. And if so, were they left here on purpose...? Either way, I think we may just have a lead!"
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures - Page 5 Empty Re: Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Post  Lyntermas Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:37 am

"Quite the assortment of baubles. The coins are griffonic, with some pieces from the Shimmerwood and Minotaur lands. Purple and blue seem to be her colors, given the gem and ring. The ring is a bicolored sapphire, but the gem is Avantine, quite rare. I'm not familiar with the style of the locket, though."

Torque listened to Aurora's magical analysis. "Interesting. Perhaps there's a magical workshop on campus where the magic of those items can be better determined. Or, perhaps, the gem and locket can interact in some way. In any case, see you can get that locket open; there might be a clue inside."

Torque decided to try and simply read the notebook, as opposed to trying to glean anything hidden. Getting any idea of what went on in that withdrawn pony's head would be reward at this point. "I don't suppose Mirrored at least shared where she was from, did she?" he asked as he flipped through the pages.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:33 am

A1C Bronymous wrote:"Uh... yeah. Should only take a minute." Despite what he believes is his authoritative stature, Flashpoint glances at the roommates with a bit of reluctance, still not completely comfortable with just going through their stuff. Still, he had a job to do, and he begins searching the drawers that are most likely Pinstripe's*.

I guess they'd be the closest to her bed? Or if there's no reasonable way to tell, then he's just guessing.
Perception: 16+11=27, for anything odd or out of place, missing, incriminating, embarrassing, etc.
There were only a couple of things worth bringing up. First a picture of Pinstripe and Mirrored sitting on the rooftop garden at night, with their tails entwined. Second is a sketch of Mirrored wearing what looks like a black cloak, pinned to an actual picture of Mirrored wearing a black cloak.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:12 am

Lyntermas wrote:Torque decided to try and simply read the notebook, as opposed to trying to glean anything hidden. Getting any idea of what went on in that withdrawn pony's head would be reward at this point. "I don't suppose Mirrored at least shared where she was from, did she?" he asked as he flipped through the pages.
"Fillydelphia." Pinstripe mutters, glancing over to Flashpoint as he looks through her nightstand. "You, uh, find anything interesting in there?"

The notebook seems to be for her rune classes, filled with diagrams and labels of different runes used throughout history and their applications. A few pages have scribbling on the margins.

Notebook contents:
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:11 pm

"Sure thing!" Aurora nodded, fiddling with the locket to try and open it. Pulling, pushing, and twisting various bits seemed to be the order of the day for her, trying to figure out how to open it without causing too much damage.

---

Mechanics to finesse the locket open:
1d20+8 = 5+8 = 13
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Caden2112 wrote:"Sure thing!" Aurora nodded, fiddling with the locket to try and open it. Pulling, pushing, and twisting various bits seemed to be the order of the day for her, trying to figure out how to open it without causing too much damage.

---

Mechanics to finesse the locket open:
1d20+8 = 5+8 = 13
The locket seems jammed shut by something, and mechanisms really isn't Aurora's strong suite.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:25 pm

AleneShazam wrote:
"Fillydelphia." Pinstripe mutters, glancing over to Flashpoint as he looks through her nightstand. "You, uh, find anything interesting in there?"

Flashpoint looks at the pictures for a few seconds, scrutinizing them, but opting not to share them with the whole room- they were in the drawer for a reason. "No, nothing crucial." He places them back where he found them, and shuts the door. He does have one question, though, so he moves over to ask Pinstripe directly. "The black cloak, was that a costume, or something she wore frequently?" He lowers his voice a bit, in case the content of the pictures was sensitive information.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:31 pm

"...It seems that Mirrored Clear was trying to set up some kind of....soul transference experiment? Seems a bit outside the regular curriculum. The Avantine gem seems to be a crucial component of her design. If nothing else, the notebook has a few names to follow up on: Streaker, Xenith, and Deep. Perhaps members of her history club?"

"And I can't make heads or tails of this...gibberish here. Ny...nyth githnar...how do you even pronounce this? Is it some foreign language or a spell?"
Torque asked with a bit of exasperation.

Looking over at Aurora having difficulty with the locket, she passed the notebook to her. "How about a trade? You're probably better at figuring what exactly what she was working on than I am." Torque took the locket, pulled out some of his tools, and got to work trying to pry it open. "Let's see, simple hinge mechanism, meeting some unexpected resistance, but proper application of force should overcome it..."

Rolling Mechanics...15 (1d20) + 13 = 28
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Aurora grumbled, nodding a bit. "Careful, it's stuck shut with...I dunno." She traded Torque the locket, looking through the notebook and blinking. "Huh...Hmm...Okay. Let me see here. Soul transference? That...doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would show up in typical curriculum...But...Wait..." Aurora muttered to herself, looking over it...

---
Arcana to understand the magic stuff seems appropriate.
1d20+15 = Natural 20! Proof! +15 = 35
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Caden2112 wrote:Aurora grumbled, nodding a bit. "Careful, it's stuck shut with...I dunno." She traded Torque the locket, looking through the notebook and blinking. "Huh...Hmm...Okay. Let me see here. Soul transference? That...doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would show up in typical curriculum...But...Wait..." Aurora muttered to herself, looking over it...

---
Arcana to understand the magic stuff seems appropriate.
1d20+15 = Natural 20! Proof! +15 = 35
The trans etheric theory (TET) seems to be an amalgamation of the energy conversion theories and the idea of etherium, the universal energy which all forms of energy, be it magical, kinetic, heat, electric, even life energy, is derived from. This is a purely theoretical idea however, and no actual sample of etherium has ever been created.

From what you can tell from the diagrams and equations, the TET skips the stage of forming Etherium and directly converts one form of energy into another with 100% efficiency, which is virtually breaking the laws of physics. To do this, however, the most potent of Etheric energy has to be used as the reagent at the beginning of the process: soul. Often confused with life energy (and understandably so), soul energy as well as life energy dictate the health of a person. But where life energy governs the physical condition, replenishing when drained, soul energy is finite and holds sway over the mental faculties, and personality, and memory, and things of the mind. Once lost, it is gone forever.

It's also super taboo to do so, though not explicitly illegal.

Mirrored (or whoever scribbled in the notebook) seemed to have hit a snag with the soul deteriorating before the conversion began, rendering the point of the process moot. First through applying a soul well, which trapped the soul temporarily, then with necromantic bindings, and finally by trapping filtering the soul through an inanimate object, another serious breach of ethics. The crystal arrangement of Avantine seems to be the only arrangement stable enough to house energy as complex as soul energy.

That's as far as you can decipher the notes without seriously stretching the meaning of the tiny scribbles. 

(If the TET ever comes up again, you have a bonus to understanding it.)
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:13 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:
AleneShazam wrote:

Flashpoint looks at the pictures for a few seconds, scrutinizing them, but opting not to share them with the whole room- they were in the drawer for a reason. "No, nothing crucial." He places them back where he found them, and shuts the door. He does have one question, though, so he moves over to ask Pinstripe directly. "The black cloak, was that a costume, or something she wore frequently?" He lowers his voice a bit, in case the content of the pictures was sensitive information.
"It was just the one time. A silly reenactment of some old ritual." Pinstripe says, offhandedly.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Lyntermas wrote:"...It seems that Mirrored Clear was trying to set up some kind of....soul transference experiment? Seems a bit outside the regular curriculum. The Avantine gem seems to be a crucial component of her design. If nothing else, the notebook has a few names to follow up on: Streaker, Xenith, and Deep. Perhaps members of her history club?"

"And I can't make heads or tails of this...gibberish here. Ny...nyth githnar...how do you even pronounce this? Is it some foreign language or a spell?"
Torque asked with a bit of exasperation.

Looking over at Aurora having difficulty with the locket, she passed the notebook to her. "How about a trade? You're probably better at figuring what exactly what she was working on than I am." Torque took the locket, pulled out some of his tools, and got to work trying to pry it open. "Let's see, simple hinge mechanism, meeting some unexpected resistance, but proper application of force should overcome it..."

Rolling Mechanics...15 (1d20) + 13 = 28
The jammed hinge loosens with a faint click.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:41 pm

"This...Is brilliant, if it works! Completely amoral, but this could change how we view-...I...Wow...Just wow. Still, it doesn't look perfected, at least not in this journal...But I wonder if I could-" Aurora cut herself off, shaking her head. Plenty of time to try and replicate...Some of the steps later. They were investigating now. After mentally shaking herself back to task, she looked at the others. "So...I can understand most of this...Not the scribbling, but...Well, do you want the short version or the longer one?" she asked, aware that at the least, Flashpoint didn't seem to really be able to keep up in more arcane matters.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Flashpoint is only half listening to the excited unicorn, but does catch "amoral". "And did that silly ritual have anything to do with whatever has Aurora so excited?" He gives the Zebra a look, then turns back to Aurora. "Short version, what was she getting involved with?"
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:58 pm

"Short version? Turning soul energy into other forms of energy, at...100% efficiency. It's...Not technically illegal, but given where souls come from...This...Isn't the kind of thing you'd be taught, not in this kind of detail. You said you were a firefighter? Imagine going to a class that teaches you how to commit arson and get away with it." Aurora explained quickly. "So...She was getting involved in the kind of stuff that ends in a body count and funerals."
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Torque's eyes widened as he heard Aurora's explanation. "That's...extremely disconcerting. I mean, I was thinking maybe something like astral projection, or some voluntary body-swapping, but....spending a pony's life as nothing more than fuel? That's horrid! And what I gleaned from the notes, that would...imply..." Torque didn't finish the thought aloud, but his mind wouldn't stop. The note of "deterioration of the soul",  the "discovery" of Avantine as viable for...whatever, and thanking other students for advice would imply testing...iteration...and collaboration.

If he was correct, Mirrored had already spent at least one pony's life for her own pursuits, and had managed to rope others into going along with it. It was Great-Grandpa Szarnowski all over again.

Torque shook his head. "N-nothing's been proven yet. Mirrored's research is definitely playing with fire, of course, but there's still the possibility that it has remained solely in the theoretical. Equations and hypotheticals and such (although what units would one use to quantify the soul?)." Desperate to change the subject, Torque looked at the locket. "Uh, I managed to get this open, let's take a peek, shall we?" Torque popped the lid open to see what the locket held.

Edit: Rolling Perception... Natural 20! + 8 = 28. Huh. (Proof)

Last edited by Lyntermas on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:50 pm

Flashpoint's face darkens as he listens to the explanation, though it is about what he expected. "So some bad shit." He turns to Pinstripe. "I need you to follow me here- first thing's first: we're trying to find Mirrored. Whatever of this stuff she's been getting involved with, that comes after the fact. But if this involves the deaths of others, then whatever and whoever she's gotten mixed up in is the most probable lead to finding her. So, besides that history club, besides whatever ritual she was "reenacting", now is the time. Anything and everything any of you know about her... "hobbies" recently, who we can talk to about them, then tell us now, for her sake."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:51 am

(I forgot an important tidbit: retroactive perception check on the journal please?)
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:10 am

((Right then.
1d20+8 = 10+8 = 18. I am scared for when the other shoe drops.))
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:32 am

Caden2112 wrote:((Right then.
1d20+8 = 10+8 = 18. I am scared for when the other shoe drops.))
You're not quite sure, but you think the writing style on the scribbles and the writing style of the actual runecraft notes don't match up.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:43 pm

"Well, I mean, the scribbles seem like they're a different writer, so it might be someone else's journal she was holding onto? But alright, let's take a peek in the locket and see what there is to see...I mean, hopefully, she's just holding these for somepony else, but..." Aurora trailed off. It still didn't bode well for Mirrored. Too late now, they'd opened that door, as it were...
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:32 am

(OOC: Moving my roll for the locket to the front, in case AleneShazam missed it.

Rolling Perception... Natural 20! + 8 = 28. Huh. (Proof))
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:42 am

Caden2112 wrote:"Well, I mean, the scribbles seem like they're a different writer, so it might be someone else's journal she was holding onto? But alright, let's take a peek in the locket and see what there is to see...I mean, hopefully, she's just holding these for somepony else, but..." Aurora trailed off. It still didn't bode well for Mirrored. Too late now, they'd opened that door, as it were...
The locket creaks open, the tight hinges squeaking loudly.
In the locket is a picture of Pinstripe on one side, and a picture of an unknown Pegasus stallion on the other. A single drop of red coloring stains the stallion's picture.
Torque pretty much immediately notices the telltale signs of blood, and that there should be space enough underneath the pictures for ponies to store something small.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:38 am

Caden2112 wrote:"Well, I mean, the scribbles seem like they're a different writer, so it might be someone else's journal she was holding onto? But alright, let's take a peek in the locket and see what there is to see...I mean, hopefully, she's just holding these for somepony else, but..." Aurora trailed off. It still didn't bode well for Mirrored. Too late now, they'd opened that door, as it were...

"A different writer? But...that doesn't make any sense. Even if Mirrored isn't the "soul researcher", there's no way the researcher would let anypony else hold onto such incriminating evidence, particularly with the names of the accomplices." Torque thought for a moment. "Unless it was a frame-up...or, if we're being extremely open-minded, a split personality?"

AleneShazam wrote: The locket creaks open, the tight hinges squeaking loudly.
In the locket is a picture of Pinstripe on one side, and a picture of an unknown Pegasus stallion on the other. A single drop of red coloring stains the stallion's picture.
Torque pretty much immediately notices the telltale signs of blood, and that there should be space enough underneath the pictures for ponies to store something small.

"...Aaaand this isn't helping her case. Pinstripe, you wouldn't happen to be friends with any pegasus stallions, would you?" Torque decided to keep quiet about the blood while peering closer at the locket. "Curious. The locket seems a bit thick for simply holding a pair of pictures. I wonder..." Torque pulled some tweezers out of his toolkit and tried to see what was under the pictures. "Let's see...hidden compartments may require additional measures, but I think the primary security feature is not knowing it's there...are they meant to be removed from a certain angle or..."

Rolling Mechanics...6 (1d20) + 13 + 5 (Nimble Hooves, 4 uses remaining)= 23
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:16 am

A1C Bronymous wrote:Flashpoint's face darkens as he listens to the explanation, though it is about what he expected. "So some bad shit." He turns to Pinstripe. "I need you to follow me here- first thing's first: we're trying to find Mirrored. Whatever of this stuff she's been getting involved with, that comes after the fact. But if this involves the deaths of others, then whatever and whoever she's gotten mixed up in is the most probable lead to finding her. So, besides that history club, besides whatever ritual she was "reenacting", now is the time. Anything and everything any of you know about her... "hobbies" recently, who we can talk to about them, then tell us now, for her sake."
Pinstripe is visibly horrified by the revelation. "Soul magic?! No, no no no... Mirror would never... she's... That frickin' club..."

"I knew we should have stopped her from going to the history club." Verily grimaces. "Pinstripe, don't do anything rash. The investigators will do their job, you need to focus on your studies." 

Dada puts a hoof on Pinstripe's shoulder, silencing her objections. "Go ask the history professor, what's his name... Warfield or something, he'll point you to the club."

Skyline grimaces. "If shit like this is going on in the school... well, Warfield's an upstanding guy, brilliant military historian. He'll shut that club down good, but we need to get on with this quick."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 33  Next