Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Post  Lyntermas on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:57 am

"Inked Quill, I am perfectly willing to assist in finding this student. You focus on making sure the conference continues as planned. And I assure you, I am fairly capable of looking after myself." Torque pulled out a notepad that he used to sketch mechanical designs and started writing. "I do have a few questions before we begin our investigation."

"1. Who exactly is the missing student? Do you have a name, description, hobbies?
2. ...Not to make light of the situation, but is there any particular reason you suspect foul play? The student has been "missing" for less than 24 hours; is Baltimare really that unsafe at night?
3. Could you please tell us more about the "crystal incident" from a few weeks ago? It may be unrelated, but it is important to understand recent events.
4. Would we as "volunteer guards" have the authority to search the student's room for clues? I wouldn't wish to unnecessarily invade somepony's privacy, but we may need to search for clues."

Torque glanced down at the papers, police reports, and maps Inked Quill had displayed. It seemed that the student's disappearance may be simply the latest instance of a much larger problem.

"...5, possibly related to 2. What's the hay's been going in Baltimare? How many ponies have gone missing recently? And what are the markings on these maps?"
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:31 am

Inked Quill raises a hoof. "First, I want you all to promise that anything said here never leaves the room, for privacy reasons. With that out of the way, yes I have the answers to those questions, or at least I can tell you where you can find the answers.

Our missing student is an enchanting studies senior named Mirrored Clear. She's a good kid, hard working, treats her studies seriously. I don't know much about her personal life but I imagine her roommates will have some answers to that. What makes this a serious case is because the school is surrounded by boundary glyphs that notes when and where a pony crosses the bounds of the school. With the guards at the main entrances, and with the spell monitoring the unguarded boundaries, we should know when she left."

Inked Quill leans forward. "That's the thing, according to our records she never left. So where could she be? A search of the grounds yielded no results, and none of her friends knows where she is. That is why this has been set as a priority. Also, no. The crystal incident really isn't related, just a PR stunt that went horribly wrong. Cost us a fortune, and our funding got cut a lot. That's all you need to know. 

Finally, yes as guards you have the right to search rooms within reasonable bounds: no destruction of private property, no damaging school facilities."

Inked Quill pauses as he considers Torque's last question. "That... really isn't up to me to say. You want to learn that, you'll need to talk to the head of the Baltimare Guards... tell them you want to see what they gave to me, that's all I can tell you. I'm sorry, but I don't want to get in trouble with the guards as well as everything that has happened."

"Any... anything else?"
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Aurora listened, thinking for a moment. Maybe she was teleported? Or there were hidden passages, like in a Daring Do book or something. Still, there was one question on her mind. "Uhm, well, if nopony else is going to ask, I've got a question. Do you know which room was hers? I mean, privacy or not, seems like the kind of thing that would be noted."
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:49 pm

"Meadowbrook's wing, 405." Quill says, placing a campus map onto the table. "This might help."
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:59 am

"Yes, this is very helpful. A few more questions should finish things up, at least for me," Torque said as continued to make notes.

"1. Is there anyone we could talk to regarding how the boundary glyphs work? If we can better understand the parameters, we might be able to better understand whether or not some sort of "loophole" was exploited.
2. Are you aware of any particular subject that Mirrored Clear was studying before she disappeared?
3. ...You wouldn't happen to have a picture of Mirrored Clear we could use for reference, would you?"
Torque glanced at one of the posters hidden under a pile of books and started pulling at it using his Telekinesis.
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:18 am

“No problem. It’s the least I can do for sending a bunch of outsiders to solve our problems for us… 

The glyphs are maintained by Word Smith, our runecraft professor. If he’s not giving a talk at the conference, you’ll probably find him in his office in the Starswirl building. It’s easy to find, got the door all decorated in runes and glyphs. 

The second question I can’t help you so much, Mirrored was always an independent student and never seemed to dwell on a single topic for long. If you ask her roommates you might learn something, but I can’t help you on that. I do have a picture of her and her roommates, if you need one.”

He hoofs over a picture of Mirrored and a couple of other mares competing in some kind of magical competition. Mirrored Clear is a pale grey unicorn with a darker grey mane, and piercing purple eyes. Her cutie mark is a mirror with a faint purple aura.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:11 pm

"Ok, if I'm helping...? I can go talk to the roommates and see what they know. I was never fond of searching other ponies' rooms. Their names?" Flashpoint takes the picture and studies it for a moment. "Would they be out in the crowds right now?"
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:09 am

Torque gave what he hoped was a confident smile as he continued to take notes.

In truth, this was a disaster. Well, less catastrophe and more disappointment with a side of lingering dread.

Here he was in Baltimare, following up with one of the few universities that had responded to his applications, only to find the dean had essentially declared a hiring freeze due to “issues.” Although, to be fair, multiple disappearances throughout the city certainly was alarming. Torque had agreed to help practically as a matter of course, but he couldn’t shake the idea that this investigation was going to get complicated, if not outright dangerous, fairly quickly.

Torque took a deep breath. This was simply a puzzle to solve, and he had always been good at that. Start with your givens, then see how everything works together.

The first puzzle was Inked Quill himself. Oh, Torque believed that his request and concern were sincere, but there were still several unknowns. Why had he compiled all this missing persons information? Was there any truth to the rumors about his shady associates? However, these questions would require having more evidence gathered elsewhere before any type of confrontation was possible. Speaking of evidence…

“Yes, I think this should be enough to at least get us started. We’ll be sure to let you know of any developments we uncover.” Torque put away his notebook and started to turn for the door, but then stopped. “Actually, there is one more thing. Would it be possible to take a glance at any missing person posters you’ve gathered? Granted, they may prove irrelevant for Mirrored Clear’s case, but it never hurts to be better informed, yes?”

Rolling Persuasion...17 (1d20) + 10 = 27
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Inked Quill first addresses Flashpoint. "They'll probably be in the dorms. They're shaken up by the event, and haven't really been all that active. Just brooding, mind you. Nothing too serious, hopefully when you find Mirrored Clear it'll be out of their systems. But for now, they'll be staying put in their dorms. We have monitoring safeguards just in case something goes wrong."

"As for the reports, I see no harm in those. It's public information, if it's just the missing persons reports. Here, you can take them if you want. I've got a copy of them already, so if you think it helps, then by all means use it to help in the investigation."

Torque is presented with various missing persons reports. Most of them seem to be annotated with small, furious scribbles, matching the lettering he has have come to associate with Inked Quill's panicked writing. There are six of them, seemingly with little in common. There's a sultry looking pegasus mare named Skylark, a more stern and weathered looking pegasus stallion named Bitter Cloud, a unicorn fresh out of colthood named Whistle Bell, a griffoness named Glinda, a donkey dockworker named Murky, and an earth pony called Pleasant Hike.

(Knowledge gained: at any point if you need information regarding these six individuals, add 5 to the roll.)

The only real connection seems to be that they all live or work close to the coast: but then again, Baltimare is a coastal city, and all the premiere residential areas are coastal anyway.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:29 pm

"Alright then, we should head that way." Flashpoint turns toward the door, waiting on the rest of the group.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 pm

"Yeah, nothing to be gained sitting around and waiting for the problem to solve itself. Come on, Torque. We've got a mystery to solve, and missing pon-er, beings I guess? ...To be found!" Aurora turned, beginning to head out the door. She could appreciate his thorough approach, but she was eager to actually do something about this!
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:38 pm

"Oh, ponies! Before you go, I think you should take this." Inked Quill hoofs over a small pendant, a comprising a pegasus feather set into an orb of amber crystal. "It used to be Mirrored Clear's, and was left behind when she disappeared. We took it into custody in case it had magical effects, but for all we can tell it's just an inert trinket. But it might help your investigation, so take it."
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:04 am

Torque takes the pendant from the dean. "Thank you, Inked Quill. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out what this is for...or we'll just find Mirrored Clear right away and ask her ourselves," he says with a little smirk. "I suggest you focus on the conference for now, and stay hopeful."

Torque starts to follow the others out of the door. "Well, everypony, it seems we're officially a team of sleuths. I suggest we first head to the dorms, where we can search Mirrored Clear's room for clues and question her roommates. In the meantime, could you tell me a little bit more about yourselves? I'd like to get to know the ponies I'm working with a bit better."

"Skyline, will you be accompanying us for the duration? I understand this business was dropped on you, and that you may have other duties that need attending, but you probably know this campus better than any of us, and your insight and experience would be valuable. Also, us barging into a student's room claiming we're "volunteer guards" may be...less than accepted by strangers."

Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Skyline nods. "This is a matter of campus security, you have my full support. If I'm unavailable, I'll see if I can get one of my colleagues to help out instead. Also, if you don't mind a short detour, we can drop by the security office on the way and see about giving you guard badges. They don't mean much out of campus, except maybe with the actual police force, but with them you're pretty much part of the institute's security detail." 

He pauses in his tracks for a moment, thinking, before continuing, "I don't know why Inked Quill hid this from me, but with the guard and you experts on the case, I'm sure it'll get wrapped up pretty fast."

"But in any case, I'm Skyline. Mostly responsible for the security of this institute and any events that are hosted here. I'm not usually for strangers getting into institute business, but with this case... I'm all for outside help. And you ponies? What're your backgrounds?"
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:03 pm

"Me? Oh, nothing too impressive. Grew up near Neighagra Falls, took to wandering, trying to learn as much about magic as I can. Not easy, mind you, some ponies know the most amazing spells, but it's all instinct for them, they can't explain how it works. But that's part of the challenge, learning the hows and whys of it so anypony with even a little aptitude can at least try a spell or trick on their own, right? Plus, it's a good way to push myself on that front as well, try and do things I never thought possible, like this one stallion could do this neat trick where he could apparently see through any illusion, and-...Am I rambling? I'm rambling, aren't I?" Aurora blinked, remembering, among other things, to take a breath.
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:03 pm

"Neighagara Falls? I've heard of that town. What was his name... Cobalt, remember him?" Flashpoint says to Skyline. "Sergeant Cobalt, he was assigned to Neighagara for a stint. Said it was nice."

I imagine I don't need to go too much into "Flashpoint and Skyline served together" as a backstory, but I couldn't pass up the chance to make a Sun Sets reference.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:47 am

Torque smiled as he listened to Aurora’s rambling. “No need to apologize, Aurora. It's refreshing to see a pony have an enthusiasm for their field of study. Learning so much, refining your skills, and knowing there is so much still to learn; there’s nothing quite like it.”

Torque glanced between Skyline and Flashpoint. "So, you two have worked together before? Well, I'm sure you have a lot of stories to tell."

“As for me, I grew up on a small island off the coast of Vanhoover, My family has always been… passionate about the pursuit of scientific discovery, and I found that my calling in the field of mechanical engineering.  I’ve designed all sorts of things, from watches to engines to robot helpers (I even keep a few prototypes in my knapsack). When I was old enough, I went to the University of Manehatten where I graduated with honors. Of course, starting my actual career has had some…bumps, but hopefully once everything has calmed down a bit in Baltimare, Inked Quill will reexamine my application, and I’ll be able to continue my research with developments that will benefit pony society.”

OOC: Bronymous, Skyline knows who Flashpoint is, but the other PCs might like to hear more.
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:18 am

"Robots? Like the ones out of adventure novels? Can't imagine why you'd have trouble getting your career off the ground if you can make those. Maybe you could show me some of your inventions later, you know, when we're not investigating disappearances and all." She sounded fairly impressed. Engines and watches hard to make as far as she could tell, but robots? She couldn't remember ever hearing of somepony who could make those!
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:19 pm

"Robots..." Not being an avid reader and lacking a general interest in science and magic, Flashpoint is barely familiar with the concept. "Well whatever works. I'm not huge into all that. I served as an officer in the Pegasus Corps, and Lt. Skyline was my wingpony. I retired a few years back, though, and I've been a firefighter and part time weatherpony in my hometown, White Tail Junction. I don't have a whole lot of really interesting stories from the Guard, except maybe when I got my Cutie Mark. Seems like all the really crazy stuff has happened since after I retired."

RE: Retirement:
Just to clear up any confusion on how old Flashpoint is- He joined the Guard as early as possible, at 17. Based on my own estimations of how long it takes to receive a commission, and because in the US military officers may "retire" at any point after their initial term of service (roughly 6 years), he retired at approximately 24. I assume the events from NMM to Tirek all took place in less than 4 years, so if he retired 2 years before that, he is now 30.

TL/DR: "retired" =/= "old"
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:33 am

Caden2112 wrote:"Robots? Like the ones out of adventure novels? Can't imagine why you'd have trouble getting your career off the ground if you can make those. Maybe you could show me some of your inventions later, you know, when we're not investigating disappearances and all." She sounded fairly impressed. Engines and watches hard to make as far as she could tell, but robots? She couldn't remember ever hearing of somepony who could make those!

Torque gave an embarrassed smile at hearing Aurora's accolades. "Well, I'm guessing that the robots in your novels are intelligent, durable, and able to adapt quickly to circumstances. Mine...aren't like that yet. Granted, I'm able to program them with some basic tasks and routines, but either they're a bit fragile, not too strong, or follow their directives in...unexpected ways. I have been working on a prototype that's much more promising, but it takes some time to charge it up, and it's got one nasty "feature" that I haven't figured out how to mitigate. Still, if we reach a quiet moment, I think I would enjoy sharing some of my designs."

"As for my career..."
Torque's smile faded. "Apparently, many ponies in both the academic and business fields of mechanical engineering have some unfortunate preconceptions about what I would do with their resources, despite all evidence to the contrary. It's been tricky finding somepony willing to hire me that works with anything more advanced than kitchen ovens. I thought about possibly traveling from town to town selling some useful gadgets to build up my reputation, but then rumors started going around about a pair of tinkering shysters called the Flim Flam Brothers, destroying any goodwill that profession may have had."
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:22 am

"I hate to interrupt, but the security office is that way. With the guard badges, even when I'm not there ponies will know that you're part of the security." Skyline stops at a corridor intersection. "Unless you want to attend to the students as soon as possible?"
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:46 am

A1C Bronymous wrote:"Robots..." Not being an avid reader and lacking a general interest in science and magic, Flashpoint is barely familiar with the concept. "Well whatever works. I'm not huge into all that. I served as an officer in the Pegasus Corps, and Lt. Skyline was my wingpony. I retired a few years back, though, and I've been a firefighter and part time weatherpony in my hometown, White Tail Junction. I don't have a whole lot of really interesting stories from the Guard, except maybe when I got my Cutie Mark. Seems like all the really crazy stuff has happened since after I retired."

"Firefighter? That's quite a dangerous profession; it certainly takes a brave pony to rush into danger to help others. But...what kind of "crazy stuff" happens in White Tail Junction?"

AleneShazam wrote:"I hate to interrupt, but the security office is that way. With the guard badges, even when I'm not there ponies will know that you're part of the security." Skyline stops at a corridor intersection. "Unless you want to attend to the students as soon as possible?"

"Hmm? Oh, yes, the security office would be a good stop. We'd also get the chance to meet some of your coworkers. Lead the way."

Torque thought for a moment. "Actually, Skyline, there's one question that's been nagging at me. When we first met Inked Quill, he mentioned that there had been "accidents" that precluded him from hiring anypony at this time. Was he referring to the disappearances, or is there another set of incidents we should be aware of?"
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:16 am

Lyntermas wrote:Torque thought for a moment. "Actually, Skyline, there's one question that's been nagging at me. When we first met Inked Quill, he mentioned that there had been "accidents" that precluded him from hiring anypony at this time. Was he referring to the disappearances, or is there another set of incidents we should be aware of?"
 Skyline grimaces. "Yes... the arcane science division has seen some... devastating mishaps in recent years, all coming from newly hired researchers and teachers. No fatalities, thankfully, but one assistant almost had to have a leg amputated. After that the school board forbade Inked Quill from hiring new staff members until they could draft up stricter application processes. Of course, the most recent disappearance also factors heavily into this. Forgive him if he's a little paranoid right now."
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:19 pm

"Yeah, okay, I can see that. Sounds like the new hires either fudged their qualifications, or...Nevermind, I'm letting my imagination run away with me there. But! I'm sure we'll have this all sorted out soon, so don't worry!" Aurora tried to sound reassuring before glancing at Flashpoint. "White Tail Junction? Never been there, what kinda stuff happens?"
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:25 pm

"No, nothing crazy at White Tail." Flashpoint says, being drawn back into the conversation. "I meant I was retired from the guard before all this big stuff that's happened the last few years. Nightmare Moon, Discord, Tirek, the Changelings. Didn't have to deal with any of that, thankfully, but kept enough contacts to keep up to date on most of it." He looks around at the doors and through any windows they might be passing, just out of curiosity of what's around. "The Guard job before then was kind of tame, and weather and fire at White Tail follows suit. As for 'brave', I wouldn't say there's anything too extraordinary about pursuing a job that follows your Special Talent. Flames on the Flank and all."

I'm kind of assuming that the big Season Premiere/Finale events are common knowledge, and/or guard contacts would be a good source of info.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top