Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Page 33 of 33 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Post  AleneShazam on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:41 am

"The stars...?" Moon Gazer mutters, after Torque relays the information. "It's not uncommon for cultists to attempt to create portals beyond our world, since most of our gods come from outside of this world... but none of the rituals I know of that claim to make this possible require soul distillation..."

"It's... concerning, that the Al'Th'Ki actually managed to steal Mirrored Clear's soul. I was under the impression that Deep Secret's cult excelled on the defense... if the Al'Th'Ki have grown to the stage where they can make off with something likely as well-defended as a soulstone, then... this could be very bad..."

When Torque mentions 'the king', Moon Gazer pauses, appearing to think quickly for a moment. "The king... the king... there are too many entities out there that have royal epithets, so it doesn't narrow things down any... but this talk of the 'Second crossing...'. I only know of The Crossing, the first contact between the old ones and Equestrians thousands of years ago, and as far as I'm aware the barrier isolating our world from others is still holding strong. Contact has always been indirect."
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:46 pm

"Oh, 'very bad' is it?" Flashpoint snorts derisively. "I could have given that prognosis 3 days ago. Yes, stolen soul, evil cults, weird ancient god things making 'Crossings'. Very Bad, I agree. DO you have a plan to stop it, or shall we just run about some more until they make a move?"
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:25 pm

"Actually, that brings up something. These gods are quite powerful..And you say they've crossed over before? What happened then?" Aurora looked thoughtful. If they'd hit before...That could explain things, but she'd need to know what happened the first time around..."It's entirely possible that rather than create portals, they're trying to erode the barrier...To do such a thing would require an enormous amount of magical energy, after all..."
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:46 am

((Exposition wall of text!))

"Well, the previous crossing was many, many years ago... an exceptionally powerful and enigmatic entity gifted the sacred Necronomicon to the first elder worshipper, and brought with it a host of celestial emissaries. The harmonic spirits of Equis were diametrically opposed to the Old Gods, and a great battle ensued. Eventually the the spirits of Equis banished the first entity and its host of followers, protecting this world from thereon-after. At least, so goes the legends."

Moon Gazer shifts uncomfortably. "As long as this world remains harmonic in nature, the seal will hold. But even in the form of dying embers, the remaining shreds of power from the first elder entity manifested into a form that desires only chaos. You likely know this form as Discord."

"It should not be possible to erode away at the barrier with simple rituals or magic. That is something tied more closely to the nature of this world itself. As a beacon of harmony, it attracts the attention of elder things like moths to a flame, and yet it is so bright that it physically repels beings of chaos that seek to approach it."

Then she turns to Flashpoint, and nods confidently. "And yes - I do have a plan in mind. From how she was able to sneak the artifacts from our vaults, forge an alliance with Deep Secret, and attract the attention of Al'Th'Ki, we have to assume that she is somehow a lynchpin in all of this. If we can liberate her, it will no doubt slow, if not stop, whatever the Al'Th'Ki are planning. And after we liberate Mirrored Clear, we can question her as to what exactly is going on for a more long-term strategy.

Usually the Al'Th'Ki cover their tracks well, but recently they've been getting bolder. And sloppier. The rash of recent disappearances stinks of their sacrificial worship, and by looking at the distribution of the disappearances, the locations of the missing ponies have been growing closer and closer towards the shore - one particular place on the shore, actually."

She brings out a map of Baltimare, and circles an area around the fishing town of the city. "I'd like you to investigate this area, and see if you can find where the Al'Th'Ki are hiding, and if you can manage it maybe even bring Mirrored back to us. With your exceptional talents I'm sure it will be possible."

"Is there anything you'd like to know about the area, or if there's anything I can do for you to aid in this?"
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:08 pm

"By 'place on the shore', I'm guessing you don't mean a cloud formation above it, do you?" Flashpoint clucks, the irritation starting to become a permanent fixture in his tone. "I have another idea. What happens if we just go public with this? You cult types thrive on shadows and anonymity, so what if we just start broadcasting to the whole town what's happening beneath the streets? Stir up suspicion, anger, maybe even get a good old fashioned torch-and-pitchfork thing going. It would seriously wreck their immediate plans if everyone's watching out for them, wouldn't it?"
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Torque thought for a moment. "I believe the "torch and pitchfork" approach would be counterproductive. The potential negative consequences include (but are not limited to): additional investigation finding the worshippers of Dason in addition to (or even instead of) Al'Th'Ki, the Al'Th'Ki going into hiding and taking Mirrored Clear with them, other investigators being mind-messed or up against dangers they can't handle, or the Al'Th'Ki feeling backed into a corner and initiating drastic measures like, say, whatever caused the mass coma event. I mean, if the Al'Th'Ki feel they have enough of an advantage (or possibly a time table) to afford to get "sloppy", I'm not sure how effective it will be to try and get ponies to be prepared for or even believe the whole "Old Gods" thing."

Torque turned to Moon Gazer. "As for possible aid, I do NOT like this repeated pattern of the sanctity of our minds being increasingly at risk. There's been Zanbar's memory-stealing, the Giver's influence, Deep Secret's and Sanctuary's compulsion, and now Eloquence being able to enter our dreams (granted, that last one was beneficial to us this time, but still). Is there any sort of mental defense training or enchanted amulets or something that may help mitigate this ever present threat?
"

Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:41 pm

"That's a good point, Torque, there's only so much I can do to protect us on that front, and while I tend to get a feeling that it's coming, I don't know anything more than that, so I couldn't tell you if the mind-control is as mild as seeing everyone as purple or as major as trying to backstab everyone." Arcane closed her eyes, trying to organize her thoughts. "While going public is tempting, any leads they may have on Clear would likely be lost, not to mention Clear herself in that case...As for the Old Gods...To be blunt, there's...Not a whole lot the average pony could do if one of these cults decides to get drastic. The Giver may have been an anomaly, but without any other way of estimating their power, I have to use it as a baseline...We gave a good showing, but...We're hardly average, if I say so myself." She smirked at that, clearly proud of herself (And possibly ignoring that she'd passed out.) "If they have more powerful minions, it may well escalate things to...Unpleasant levels if we force the Al'Th'Ki's hoof without them having to consider their own lair. That said, once we've gotten what we need from them, be that Clear herself, leads on her location, or whatever, what happens next...? Well, we'll play that by ear." After a moment, she blinked. "This place, is there anything noteworthy about it? Other than ponies disappearing? I'm wondering what would cause them to establish a base there, aside from perhaps convinence."
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:42 am

At Flashpoint's suggestion, Moon Gazer shakes her head. "As your companions have said, going public isn't the best idea. It could endanger innocent lives on both sides - there are peaceful groups, like Deep Secret's underground sect, as well as aggressive ones like the Al'Th'Ki, and I don't want to harm those who just want to live in peace."

"When it comes to mental defences, I can do something about that. I wasn't sure if you trusted me enough before, but since you're asking... there's a glyph that we can tattoo onto you which gives you greater mental fortitude. It won't make you immune to all mental compulsions, but it'll give you a better chance of resisting such effects. But fair warning, it's a tattoo, so it's semi-permanent. And I don't know how it'll interact with the uninitiated."

"As for the location itself... Rest assured, Flashpoint, it is not underground. It's on the coast, in fact built atop mudflats so underground compounds are unlikely. It's Baltimare's fishing town, with good access to the sea, plenty of warehouses, and traditional inhabitants who enjoy fishing like nobody's business. Given the Al'Th'Ki cult favors locations with access to non-potable water and their worship of a water deity, it seems like the perfect location for them to set up base. There are rumors of ghosts  in the community - drown sailors, storm victims and the like - but we've not had the opportunity to confirm the legitimacy of those claims. A fair percentage of the town's inhabitants are merponies, and it's known that seaponies and merponies make up a significant fraction of the Al'Th'Ki's number. There's not much more I can tell you, as the area's never been too busy in terms of elder activity until recently, but I do know someone who lives in there who knows more about the area than anyone else."

Moon Gazer takes out a picture and puts it on the table. It's of an elderly looking merpony with silvery coat/scales and seaweed-like mane.

"Fair warning, I say 'know', it's more like 'heard of'. He's notoriously reclusive and doesn't like to talk to outsiders. We've determined that he's closely linked to elder activity in the area but we've never managed to get a hold of him... there's no doubt that if you manage to find him, though, he'll be a treasure trove of knowledge."
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Oh wow, I thought Baltimare was the analog for Innsmouth...

"Wonderful. I'm sure we'll be completely inconspicuous then." Flashpoint sits back, exasperated. He closes his eyes and rubs his forehead, remaining silent for a moment. "Are you at least going to have someone in the area, some contact or underground cell or whatever, that we can rely on for support if we need it? I'm not going in there without some backup."
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:29 am

"We do," Moon Gazer says. "An agent in the nearby area is willing to be your guide for the duration of your mission. His name is Silver Wake, and he'll be meeting up with you at the teleportation circle. He won't be participating in any hostile encounters, he's strictly reconnaissance only, but he has reasonable knowledge of the workings of the mudflats, and should be able to get you started on your investigation."

"Now, should I prepare the tools for the tattooing, for greater mental protection? Again, it'll be semi-permanent, but the effect is apparent. Would you like that to be done now?"
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:22 am

"Well I'd just be spinning the record if I said no, wouldn't I? It's not big and ridiculous looking, right? I'd like to still be hireable in the future." Flashpoint shrugs, looking over his own body. "Can it go somewhere inconspicuous?"
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 33 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33

View previous topic View next topic Back to top