Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Era Victoria OOC

+5
Demonu
AleneShazam
Chemistrychem
Terrestial
Crystalite
9 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Era Victoria OOC - Page 2 Empty Re: Era Victoria OOC

Post  Demonu Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:32 pm

If we are collaborating on characters and inner party-workings, I'm currently working on my character sheet as well.
I am planning to make him more akin to a social rogue, akin to the Victorian dandy (think Oscar Wilde)
Never without a dry wit or sarcastic remark, I am designing him to excel in social activities, misdirection and getting others to do his work for him.
As such, he'll be geared less towards the physical aspect and more relient on buffing/debuffing (combat) and brains over brawn (non-combat)

Btw, is everyone going to pick sweet and elite? Because I actually also had it in mind for my character, seeing as he would move in the more upper layers of society. The character is still in flux so it's prone to change but just wondering...

Same goes for Applejack of all Trades and its upgrade. Or are we all merely skill monkeys at work here? Smile

EDIT: Googledocs (or my pc) seems to be on the fritz so I might have to postpone character creation until tomorrow.

Last edited by Demonu on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:12 pm

Demonu wrote:If we are collaborating on characters and inner party-workings, I'm currently working on my character sheet as well.
I am planning to make him more akin to a social rogue, akin to the Victorian dandy (think Oscar Wilde)
Never without a dry wit or sarcastic remark, I am designing him to excel in social activities, misdirection and getting others to do his work for him.
As such, he'll be geared less towards the physical aspect and more relient on buffing/debuffing (combat) and brains over brawn (non-combat)

Btw, is everyone going to pick sweet and elite? Because I actually also had it in mind for my character, seeing as he would move in the more upper layers of society. The character is still in flux so it's prone to change but just wondering...

Same goes for Applejack of all Trades and its upgrade. Or are we all merely skill monkeys at work here? Smile
I decided that Sweet and Elite wouldn't make sense for Chir since he's got the whole plague doctor mask thing going on. I took Applejack of all Trades to justify pouring everything into knowledge, but there's a flavour aspect to it too.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:43 pm

AleneShazam wrote:
Demonu wrote:If we are collaborating on characters and inner party-workings, I'm currently working on my character sheet as well.

I decided that Sweet and Elite wouldn't make sense for Chir since he's got the whole plague doctor mask thing going on. I took Applejack of all Trades to justify pouring everything into knowledge, but there's a flavour aspect to it too.
Damnit, I wanted to be the History guy :p
Although as an earth pony, that high Arcana skill might be suspicious xD

It's been more than a year since I've looked at Pony Tales. Perhaps there are some new abilities that tickle my fancy. Now if only googledocs could play nice for more than 5 seconds...
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Demonu wrote:It's been more than a year since I've looked at Pony Tales. Perhaps there are some new abilities that tickle my fancy. Now if only googledocs could play nice for more than 5 seconds...

Google docs is a butt.
This much is known. *nods sagely*
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Demonu wrote:Same goes for Applejack of all Trades and its upgrade. Or are we all merely skill monkeys at work here? Smile
It's secretly OP. No one believes me though...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:31 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:
Demonu wrote:Same goes for Applejack of all Trades and its upgrade. Or are we all merely skill monkeys at work here? Smile
It's secretly OP. No one believes me though...
(it's in essence a +2 to ALL ATTRIBUTES that ISN'T capped at 10. All for only 7 points? Hella OP. It's basically two thirds the value of training, except it works for all skills and is much, much cheaper. It makes minmaxing a lot more viable since no matter how much you dump you will come out with a not as terrible statspread. Hence, Chirurgeon, the minmaxed healbot with 20 heal sans any conditional modifiers.)
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:30 pm

This is what I get for not logging in every day...things just explode with activity

Yes, everyone that posted interest has a reserved slot, will add them to the first post.

Just going to say that over doing sweet and elite might just... change how things are presented.

Crystalite some flight might work if you still want to swap out mechanical.

Also Alene there is one block of text on your sheet that is colored different and is really hard to read.

tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Is there any more information on the setting other than "Victorian"?

Because such information might have some effect on my character. Mostly aesthetic things though. For instance, I have a slight interest in turning my character into a less common race, like Minotaur for instance, just for a laugh. But knowing the setting a bit more would help me in building the character.

For that matter, does race matter at all (mechanically or flavourwise)?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Demonu wrote:For that matter, does race matter at all (mechanically or flavourwise)?
Mechanical, for the most part, not really. They removed any effect of race when they added abilities...

Flavourwise, depends on the world and the player...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Setting info working on it

mechanically race is meaningless
Settingwise race has some meaning that I am still working on... lets just say that most non ponies get discriminated against for the moment.

tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:10 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Setting info working on it

mechanically race is meaningless
Settingwise race has some meaning that I am still working on... lets just say that most non ponies get discriminated against for the moment.

It's just that I'm looking over the character sheet and I see that I have a Minotaur (for the moment) with Cunning Disguise probably attempting to convince someone else he's "Important Pony NPC X" :p

Question: how will we treat abilities that state "For the next 10 minutes (real time)"?
And what about abilities of the "1/session" variety?

UPDATE: picked stats, abilities and combat stuff. Writing background now.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:35 pm

I'm waiting for setting info before working on what character I want to make for this, although since we have a dragon, a griffon, and a minotaur, the question is should I go pony or should we be the fully discriminated party?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:59 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:I'm waiting for setting info before working on what character I want to make for this, although since we have a dragon, a griffon, and a minotaur, the question is should I go pony or should we be the fully discriminated party?
Full discrimination! We'll be the misfits of society :p

But yes, some more setting information would be nice, as it might influence certain things I'm writing into my background.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:48 am

I might be interested, seeing how the game i've been in has sorta collapsed. Will read on further later, as to see about it ultimately though. Not promising yet.

There is a friend of mine who's recently expressed intertest in the Pony Tales system and wished to go for a game alongside me, so there might be two of us even. He's not on this site yet as far as i know though.

It is going to be a PbP game, right?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Terrestial wrote:I might be interested, seeing how the game i've been in has sorta collapsed. Will read on further later, as to see about it ultimately though. Not promising yet.

There is a friend of mine who's recently expressed intertest in the Pony Tales system and wished to go for a game alongside me, so there might be two of us even. He's not on this site yet as far as i know though.

It is going to be a PbP game, right?
As far as I know, this will be a PbP game, yes. But it'll be best to wait for tygerburningbright to answer your questions.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:25 pm

yes pbp I could not fit another skype game...

also working on setting info (I hate making maps...)
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Both me and my friend have decided to join. I would like to reserve a spot. My friend will most probably do that shortly too.

For those creating characters in relation to what others come up with - i'll be roleplaying a mechanic, with some refluffed mind magic on the side.

Figured it would be a shame if a steampunk setting didn't have one.
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Finished my character Smile
Meet Smooth Talker
(subject to change in background depending on setting information)

Basically, imagine Oscar Wilde as a minotaur ^^
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:04 pm

... Holy. May I pitch an idea at you? Could Smooth Talker have heard the story of The Battery, and decided to write a book about him? 'Cuz that could be wonderful and hilarious to watch.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:53 pm

Crystalite wrote:... Holy. May I pitch an idea at you? Could Smooth Talker have heard the story of The Battery, and decided to write a book about him? 'Cuz that could be wonderful and hilarious to watch.
Though I envision Smooth Talker more as a fiction writer, sure, why not? Something like a fictionalized account or retelling that falls into the historic fiction genre.
It would give Smooth Talker a sort of (personal) mini-quest and a motive to search out the PC's. Also yes, the potential for hilarity is ripe, certainly if you could imagine that, as an urban legend, everyone has a different image of him.

Apropos, with drake you do mean small dragon and not male duck, right? Smile
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Not necessarily small, but yes, drake is meant to be slang for dragon.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Still mainly waiting on backstory stuff (the map isn't even that important for me, just want some setting info). I did have a character idea, but I've scrapped it for now and it will remain scrapped unless some things change...

Also, regarding Smooth Talker, was there a reason you went with Mook over Companion?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:27 am

Paper Shadow wrote:Also, regarding Smooth Talker, was there a reason you went with Mook over Companion?
I spent more time weighing the benefits of Companion against Mook longer than I did the other talents combined. Essentially, the way I envision Smooth Talker is that he would have a servant/butler/valet in accordance with his background/Sweet and Elite and I ultimately went with Mook for the following reasons:

Mechanically
- Companion would make me have to roleplay two characters at the same time. Not that this would be a problem (I have done so before) but the problem would be that the companion, in the role of a butler lets say, needs to be a fully developed character, something that is difficult to do within the confines of Companion's design.
- Companion, as I believe, is designed to be akin to Fluttershy's animal friends. While this is good for a person bound critter, it is not so for a person and society bound companion.
- I wouldn't know what to give the Companion for abilities as to properly represent its character/personality.
- The most frequent thing I would envision Smooth Talker's servant to do, is to run errands. With Mook, this can easily be accomplished in the background or off screen but with a Companion, certainly if it splits away from the PC, would results in the DM having to accommodate what would be essentially an extra PC. After all, if a Companion isn't going to be involved in the (PC's) plot, what's the point of having one?

Flavour
- Yes, I have written Smooth Talker to be rich but, as stated, most of his fortune is in his family/clan's trust fund (translation out of the regulations on Sweet and Elite) Simply put, while a family servant (Mook) could easily lend assistance (and provide a plausible reason to disappear after a while), Smooth Talker simply isn't rich or earning enough to affort a permanent personal servant.
- I wouldn't know what to do most of the time with a butler who would be accompanying my PC all of the time. Knowing myself, I would only realise every three posts or so that I have a permanent Companion and be like "Oh yeah, and [X] is doing [Y]." There simply is no need to have a permanent Companion.
- Writing out an entirely new mini-PC is something I don't have the effort for now. With Mook, I can just default to the butler archetype with some added in personality from the name (I trust those are common pop culture knowledge by now)

There's also the funny aspect of having someone randomly appear from anywhere (plausible) Smile
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:21 pm

background things should be done today or tomorrow sorry about the slowness but I've had a busy week
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:33 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:background things should be done today or tomorrow sorry about the slowness but I've had a busy week

Good.
Just as Paper Shadow, i am waiting for it in order to properly define my character in this setting.

This weekend i've completed working on combat mechanics alongside my friend. He's currently waiting for the account activation.

We have decided to pool our money. From what i've read in an answer specifically concerning that topic it's generally not a problem, just that it's not done often. I hope that's the case here too.
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next