Dragon's Feud: OOC

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dragon's Feud: OOC

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:10 pm

It's kinda hard to show in this format, but he also took the time to write out the entire "Your faithful assistant" part.
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:46 pm

How he signed it was actually my favorite part of the opening. :3
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:35 pm

If there's still space, I'd like to submit my character: Atlas the Rhyming Bodybuilder.
He's a traveling minotaur, singing and strongman-ing his way through life like nobody's business. Usually carefree and irresponsible, though ultimately kindhearted and wanting nothing more but to make friends and live life to its fullest, Atlas heard the siren song of glorious adventure, and jumped at the chance to finally participate in something that might just make the stuff of legend.

Naturally he's Brawn/Sense oriented, has the Best Friend Destiny, and has berserker style combat.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nQRWwZpwGjN-OZitVSXtCp3l8cVjjp2WWMOuzo-Y3Xc/edit?usp=sharing
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:51 pm

"Worked out his issues - literally" is perhaps the best line I've ever read in a character bio. :3
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Well, I'd best submit an idea if I want a spot!

I'll look through the other ideas immediately - generally I like filling whatever niche the party lacks. I have an idea, though - a pony who wants one thing at the moment - be it a nap or a cherry sundae - but due to the way fate in cartoons works, he/she must save the world to acquire this thing. Maybe combine that with a bit of Limestone Pie's personality and we could have some hilarity...
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:18 pm

Sounds a little like Ohio from Zombieland! That'd be hilariously fun. :3
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:43 pm

Well, seems we have more interested players than slots... hmm. Still, little to do but work out a build for Cherry Sundae, a Ponyville resident driven to rage by lack of sleep...

...That's an easy one to do, and an easy one to have the DM cooperate with, but having long suffered from sleep deprivation myself, she may trigger my empathy a little too strongly...
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:00 pm

I was kinda hoping we would have just enough interested players to fit the slots, I hate having to turn down players, especially this time since my PC standards are so lax.

I guess we'll just go with first come first serve- first 6 to be completely finished with their sheets will get the slots, and the extra player will be first in line to swap in in case of PC "defeat" or a player dropping.

Sound off if you're completely, 100% done with your character.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm completely done.
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:44 pm

as long as you're alright with him I'm fairly happy with the way Atlas turned out.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:27 am

All right, so I need... a picture, backstory write-up, the rest of my abilities, and a combat build, which is always tricky. Hmm... I'd need to figure out how she fights. Somehow I think a crossbow wouldn't fit the mood... unless it fires suction cup bolts. Which I actually find kinda funny.
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:21 am

Dusk Raven wrote:All right, so I need... a picture, backstory write-up, the rest of my abilities, and a combat build, which is always tricky. Hmm... I'd need to figure out how she fights. Somehow I think a crossbow wouldn't fit the mood... unless it fires suction cup bolts. Which I actually find kinda funny.
Boxing glove bolts?
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:35 am

I'm finished as far as I can tell. Might make some random tweaks here and there, but nothing major.
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Okay, seems like I wasn't getting any more updates on this thread by mail so I missed all that.

The background is all thought out, I just have to write it down. Should be done by tonight or at very last tomorrow evening.

Apropos, Espresso: is Atlas based of Flex Mentallo? :p
But how did you get two expert skills?
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:41 pm

woops Razz
also, maybe just a little.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:43 pm

Espresso wrote:woops Razz
also, maybe just a little.
You can't imagine how overjoyed I am by the mere fact that someone else knows Flex Mentallo Very Happy

EDIT: put in some background for my character, who I have decided to name Lucky Shot. A pony creator image will follow once I figure out an appropriate look and cutie mark for him and I might expand on the background some more when I have the time.

I also just realised the potential shenanigans would Lucky Shot meet Atlas :p

Last edited by Demonu on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:00 am

As well as the terror that would ensue when my character meets up with Pumpkin Spice! Just, you know, once I get Cherry Sundae's sheet done. It's mostly combat build I'm worried about.

Rambling about build options:
So, I wanted to do a build that didn't involve Gather Energy, but the two build options I have saved both use it. One is a build that focuses on getting as many save ends effects as possible, only to take it away with Mind Over Matter. I like it, but I don't want to be too much of a one-trick pony, so I'll with the other one. The other one is a product of an "anything goes" campaign as far as flavor went. I decided to try making a build based on the Armored Core series - as in my character was literally going to be a horse-sized mecha. I didn't use it, but I do like the build I went with, which is reproduced in all its flavor below:

[+2] Scan Mode (Psychic Anomaly) - Standard Utility
You and target enemy suffer vulnerability 4 (save ends).

[+2] Defensive Posture (Perfect Focus) - Standard Utility [Inspired by LoganAura]
You gain resist 3 until the end of your next turn. At the start of your next turn, if you have not taken damage since you last used this ability, you gain 2 more pips.

[+1] Burst Attack (Gather Energy) - Standard Utility [Created by Karilyn]
On your next turn, you may take 2 standard actions. You cannot use this talent two turns in a row.

[+1] Burst Fire (Fireball) - Standard Attack
Deal 1d8 damage to target creature and each creature adjacent to the target.

[-1] Mini-Missile (Whirling Blades) - Minor Attack
Deal 1d4 damage to target creature. If you roll a 3 or higher, the creature suffers vulnerability 1 to your attacks until the end of your next turn.

[-2] Gun Chain (Chain Lightning) - Standard Attack
Deal 1d10 to target creature. If you roll a 6 or higher you may copy this effect, choosing a new target for the copy.

[-3] Sniper Shot (Exploit Weakness) – Standard Attack
Deal 2d8 damage to target creature. If that creature is suffering from vulnerability, deal 3d8 damage to it instead.

[-9] Bullet Hell (Call Lightning) - Standard Attack
Deal 3d12 damage to target creature, and 1d12 damage to each creature adjacent to it.

[-7] Ultimate Weapon: Grind Blade (Flametongue) – Minor Utility
You conjure a Flametongue—a flaming sword—in your hands. You can dismiss the Flametongue as a free action. While you are wielding a Flametongue, you cannot use your other combat talents. Instead you may use the combat talents below.

Instability (Searing Heat) - Trait
Whenever you trigger one of your Special Moves, target creature suffers 5 ongoing damage (save ends).

[+3] Absorb Power (Fireslash) – Standard Attack
     Deal 1d10 damage to target creature.

[+1] Thunder Slam (Burning Wound) – Standard Attack
Roll a d8. Deal that much damage to target creature, and it suffers that much ongoing damage (save ends).

[-1] Power Burst (Scorched Earth) – Standard Utility
Up to six enemies suffer 5 ongoing damage (save ends)

[-2] Blade Sweep (Blazing Blade) - Standard Attack
Deal 2d10 damage to up to six enemies.

[-4] Devastation (Cremate) – Standard Attack
Deal 4d8 damage to target creature and your next attack single target attack can target up to 4 creatures instead. The Flametongue vanishes.

Wand of Fireballs - 1000 Gold
Weapon
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.

[+1] Explosive Fireball - Standard Attack [1/Battle]
Deal 2d10 damage to target creature and each creature adjacent to the target.

Extra Armor (Amulet of Protection) - 500 Gold
Trinket
You begin battles with 4 temporary hp.

Fortified Structure (Ring of Resilience) - 500 Gold
Trinket
You gain a +3 bonus to saving throws.

Weapon Bay (Talisman of Weapons) - 1000 Gold
Trinket
Once per battle, if you possess a Conjure Weapon combat talent, you may reduce the cost of the Conjure Weapon talent by 3 pips. This cannot reduce the cost to below 0.

It needs some revision to account for flavor and perhaps a bit of smoothing out, but I think I can make it work. Thoughts for a competing applicant potential teammate?
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:00 am

If you go with the insomnia thing, that'd be kind of hilarious, because Pumpkin Spice heals using high-caffeine coffee. :3 The suction cup crossbow is really amusing when I imagine it, too. ^^

Usually, I just make a giant list of everything that could possibly make sense for the character and optimize off of that subset. Being true to character's more important than being super powerful in my opinion. XD

I'm completely new to this system, so take everything I say with some boulder-sized grains of salt. Players of characters, feel free to correct my interpretations. As far as party composition goes, though, here's my summary of what we have so far. And sorry for giving the GM a profile to use against us. XD

Wall of text of combat styles and weaknesses of each character:

Pumpkin Spice
Healer with lots of energy building abilities and channel mind to donate that excess energy to others. That's her primary function. We have a lot of hyberbeams, though, so don't depend on having all your energy needs met by one pony! Healing is based off of a consistent stream of medium heals, all of which also add temp HP to three targets each heal (including herself). She has a nuke/AoE heal indirectly in that she can give Lucky Shot energy and allow him to use Crescendo as a free action. She also applies damage debuffs to enemies to mitigate damage, and has the ability to do some damage by exploiting anything with a save-ends effect.

Her defense is using her trinket to immediately gain 5HP whenever it's needed when dealing with small stuff. Against high damage threats, she runs off of the concept of Communally Assured Reciprocal Existence (CARE). In other words, if you hurt her, she'll do the same back, so she'll try to take down her attacker with her.

Weaknesses: She does not have any abilities to manage save ends effects against either herself or her allies. While she can do damage, she has to depend on save-ends effects to make it actually do a decent amount. She isn't overly tanky, and nukes will likely give her trouble if she's targeted.

Boreal Wind
DPS with powerful burst damage. Starts with 7 energy and has a number of trinkets and traits to build up again after the first strike, supplementing critfisher and grab for power (which I personally think isn't a great skill - it averagely gives you 1.5 energy in return and does nothing else). He has both a hyperbeam that can nuke a single target and Thunderstorm combined with Friendly Fire for numbers. This will deal an average of 11 damage against each enemy, and 6 damage to allies, depending on who happens to get hit for each bolt of lightning. Pumpkin Spice tends to load everyone up with 4 temp HP within the first few rounds after she starts healing people, and can also give Lucky Shot the ability to use Cascade as a free action to heal everyone at once, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Weaknesses: Fast first, hard strike, but after that it'll take a little while to build power back up. He seems to be primarily built for burst damage. His build depends a good deal on chance. This means he may be completely awesome, or suddenly be useless depending on the mood of his dice.

Violet Stars
DPS/Debuffer. Has the ability to cause ongoing damage, daze, grant vulnerability, stun, reduce damage dealt to us, and has the ability to transfer save end effects on us to an enemy, which should help make up for Pumpkin Spice's inability to manage save ends effects. Can deal 13 average damage to tons of creatures, so long as they have save effects on them. Can deal medium, consistent damage with her weapon. Doesn't gain a lot of energy, but most talents don't require much either. A consistent fighter.

Weakness: Doesn't build up energy quickly, especially if she's getting attacked every turn. Has a number of abilities that causes her to take damage, so she'll need a bit more healing.

Atlas
Berserker DPS. Uses a lot of reactions to achieve various effects off of the smackdown attack. Builds energy sometimes when getting attacked, and has a reloader trinket. Otherwise, he builds energy using trance, causing him to become even more vulnerable for a while. If he can manage to get a TON of energy, he can cause some super serious smackdown rapidly and for the rest of the entire battle.

Weakness: Has quite a few abilities that'll probably be used a lot that cost health or makes him vulnerable, making him a bit squishy. This is solved by a trinket that'll give him 5 HP as a free utility, so long as he has the energy to keep using it. High energy requirements to be truly effective. Consistent, though not necessarily impressive damage under normal operation (but once he goes berserk, everything should die quickly).

Lucky Shot
Spends quite a few turns building up energy (longer if being attacked), then either heals or damages one or many creatures for an average of 22.5 hitpoints total. Also has a hyperbeam for a single target nuke. Has off-healer abilities. Somewhat more tanky than the rest of the characters.

Weakness: Virtually no small-energy talents that'll be used a lot. He'll probably be sitting there building up energy Dragonball Z style for quite a while, doing one massive thing, then go back to omphaloskepsis. Energy requirements are quite high.

So, we have three characters with heavy energy styles of play that cause big effects, one consistent debuffer, and one healer who can provide some amounts of energy.

Pumpkin Spice will be responsible for both providing energy and trying to keep everyone who's sacrificing HP alive. Violet will be able to help us deal with save ends effects on us and handicap the enemy. Lucky Shot will be able to help in healing (including indirectly if Pumpkin Spice gives him the energy for Crescendo), and also help in doing damage between long-ish intervals. The rest are DPS. This means that if I were to guess at what we're missing, I'd say either a tank that can draw aggro off of the many squishies, or possibly someone with faster consistent damage with lower energy requirements to take out the small fries while everyone else is building up energy. Optimizing, I'd probably say tank.

Ultimately though, you should play who and what you think is fun, and choose what's consistent with your character, because that matters way more than having a powerful party in the end.

Last edited by nightlight on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:00 am

You got a background in D&D or something? Smile

While I do, in part, agree with your analysis of Lucky Shot's combat build, there seems to be one thing you forgot and one thing you couldn't account for: triggering critical moves and my own abysmal dice rolling luck.
Going by my calculations, I can get Red Requiem off at turn 2 and every three turns after that with a reliable critical move trigger every 60% I do it (Crescendo every two turns if needed) That's not accounting for if I chain critical moves onto each other.

I am considering replacing Hyperbeam though. I'm better off rolling d8/d10/d12 than trying to hit that 5% every time plus the turn skipping doesn't sit well with me. I'm not sure what to replace it with (Fire Giant is a favourite but hard to explain IC/flavourwise unless I just don't give a damn) but I'm open for a suggestion or two.
(guess I could chain Payday onto itself every one or two turns)

Last edited by Demonu on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:14 am

You have no idea how neat that analysis is.

Anyway, to my vast surprise, the build I'm working on is moving somewhat away from Gather Energy. It's now leaning towards a mix of damage and inflicting/increasing Ongoing Damage. I don't even really need Gather Energy, if I can get another minor action... I can? Aha. AHAHAHAHA, sweet Luna YES! All right, I love this build now. This is gonna be FUN. Unfortunately, not sure how to flavor this as nonlethal crossbow bolts... so either I need to come up with a new fighting style, or save this for my next character (a Ninja Pony). But I am now in the unenviable position of having two combat builds, and not being sure which to use, or knowing whether or not they can be combined...

On a side note, the info for Whirling Blades in that spoiler of mine is outdated. Shows you how long ago I made that build..

On another note, let me say that I would take Fire and Ice, and not just because I created it... if only you applied the Ongoing Damage before the normal damage. Although I could work around that...
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:26 am

I have a bit of D&D experience. ^^

Sadly, for having gamed for years, I'm pretty lousy at rolling, too. It's pretty much a running joke in every campaign I've played in. On the other hand, when I DM, my dice suddenly try to kill everyone with non-stop crits. It's very strange. I suspect they're just homicidal.

You're right - I keep forgetting about how important crits are in this system! Totally didn't calculate that in, so that should let him do a bit more than I was thinking - though he'll still spend comparatively more time building up energy, I think. I'd agree that hyperbeam is a little redundant, though. Hyperbeam will averagely deal 31.5 damage (with 5% chance to trigger all 3 specials), compared to red requiem's 22.5 damage (but which has an additional chance to crit, and additional chances for you to roll a 1 and get energy). Red Requiem allows you to hit multiple targets if you want, and you don't lose your next turn. So long as you do at least 9 damage on your next turn, you make up for the loss of damage anyway. In my mind, it'll usually be just plain superior for your particular build. There's no reason to ever use hyperbeam.

Like I mentioned, we do seem to be a bit weak on the aggroing tank department. One possibility is getting a taunting-like ability that can draw aggro or penalize people for not hitting you, since you have good resists, regeneration, you can heal, and Spice can heal, so between all of that, we should be able to keep you alive, I hope!

If you need another talent, you might be able to get away with dropping My Life is Yours. You're pretty set in the nuking and energy building talents, but maybe there's something in there that can make you even harder to kill. Either that, or you can choose something that just fits your character for fun. Some buff for the party based around Iron Will-style encouragement, or something. Alternatively, choose something you probably won't use more than once or twice, drop the spellbook, and grab a different cheap weapon while depending on using minor actions to swap talents in and out as needed.

Again though, I am totally a newb at this particular system so you might be better off just doing whatever you think is best. XD
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:30 am

Dusk Raven wrote:You have no idea how neat that analysis is.

Anyway, to my vast surprise, the build I'm working on is moving somewhat away from Gather Energy. It's now leaning towards a mix of damage and inflicting/increasing Ongoing Damage. I don't even really need Gather Energy, if I can get another minor action... I can? Aha. AHAHAHAHA, sweet Luna YES! All right, I love this build now. This is gonna be FUN. Unfortunately, not sure how to flavor this as nonlethal crossbow bolts... so either I need to come up with a new fighting style, or save this for my next character (a Ninja Pony). But I am now in the unenviable position of having two combat builds, and not being sure which to use, or knowing whether or not they can be combined...

On a side note, the info for Whirling Blades in that spoiler of mine is outdated. Shows you how long ago I made that build..

On another note, let me say that I would take Fire and Ice, and not just because I created it... if only you applied the Ongoing Damage before the normal damage. Although I could work around that...

Glad it was kind of helpful! I don't think I saw too many dedicated DoT effects, and I know both me and Violet like having save ends stuff on enemies to boost our damage, so that could work. Good luck on deciding what you want to play!

As for the crossbow, I still think suction cups totally could work. Otherwise, maybe reflavor it as something besides a crossbow? I mean, in Equestria, throwing pies is also a valid form of combat, after all.
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:40 am

If you need another talent, you might be able to get away with dropping My Life is Yours. You're pretty set in the nuking and energy building talents, but maybe there's something in there that can make you even harder to kill. Either that, or you can choose something that just fits your character for fun. Some buff for the party based around Iron Will-style encouragement, or something. Alternatively, choose something you probably won't use more than once or twice, drop the spellbook, and grab a different cheap weapon while depending on using minor actions to swap talents in and out as needed.
I can't drop the spellbook for the (main) reason that I haven't found a five piece combat build that is efficient and that I like. Also not a fan of the other weapons for the mere fact that I don't like "once per battle" deals.

Reread My Life Is Yours. It does make you harder to kill because target creature can target you. Essentially it reads "[-1] gain 4 HP" Smile

Aside from Fire Giant, I am considering Royal Command. I'm only hesitant about that one because it's PbP and Royal Command messes with the turn order and the fact that not everyone is online at the same time complicates things. Which is why I'm also not a fan of reactions and interrupts in PbP. Essentially, a PbP build for me is the fire and forget Vancian type of system. I'll see what I can come up with.

Possible options so far:
- Fire Giant
- Royal Command
- Channel Mind, 'cause I'll be racking up the energy like crazy and it helps people out (even flavourwise I would make it work)
- Savage Dreadnought (just for safety reasons)
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:49 am

Demonu wrote:
Aside from Fire Giant, I am considering Royal Command. I'm only hesitant about that one because it's PbP and Royal Command messes with the turn order and the fact that not everyone is online at the same time complicates things. Which is why I'm also not a fan of reactions and interrupts in PbP. Essentially, a PbP build for me is the fire and forget Vancian type of system. I'll see what I can come up with.

This is my first time doing PbP for a tabletop game. I hadn't even considered that stuff! Yikes! With the talents I chose, I don't think Where It Hurts will disrupt things too much (since it only happens when I take damage), but Channel Mind may be a bit weird. That'll require someone to step in for an action during my turn to do something. Hopefully that won't be too bad.
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:24 am

Do other people here have a lot of abilities/traits/items that bestow penalties on the enemies' saving throws?
Because I could also go for a build that fires off Dominate every two turns for shits and giggles :p
(or I could revamp my entire build to resolve around dominating and saving throws shenanigans)
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top