Dragon's Feud

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dragon's Feud

Post  A1C Bronymous on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:16 pm

It's a little warm in the packed conference room within Ponyville's Town Hall. There are no less than two dozen ponies- and a smattering of other races- all of whom have come to meet Princess Twilight Sparkle, and answer the call for Volunteers. Some of the volunteers are citizens of Ponyville, and know exactly the reason why the emergency call for aid was sent out, but this meeting is for the sake of those who just got in to town, and don't know better. Fortunately, the Princess is there to explain the situation... or she would be, except she seems to be late. The meeting was supposed to begin no less than 10 minutes ago, and the usually punctual purple princess is nowhere in sight, causing many of the locals to stir nervously, chattering and wondering what the holdup is.

Pumpkin Spice has found a spot in the middle of the room. Nearby she can spot a few individuals that she recognizes- Boreal Wind and Atlas are together, and a little further back is Violet Stars. Elsewhere in the crowd two Earth Ponies stand next to each other, not yet having met. Lucky Shot notes that the mare next to him looks plain exhausted, whereas Cherry Sundae notes that the room is rather annoyingly buzzing with energy, far too early in the morning (despite it being almost noon). As Princess Twilight is still nowhere to be seen, the ponies are left to talk among themselves.
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragon's Feud

Post  Demonu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:06 pm

Lucky Shot looked around the town's hall. It was an odd sight to behold, even by Ponyville standards. The oddity of it all came from two things: the gathering of a lot of irregular folk, as the only non-pony he had seen so far was Spike, the number one assistant of Twilight Sparkle ('Princess Twilight Sparkle' Lucky Shot mentally added) and, most disturbingly, the no-show of said princess. One could argue that Princess Twilight is many things but being tardy isn't one of them.

Lucky Shot tried to make himself as small as possible. He didn't do well in large crowds, at least unfamiliar crowds, and the buzzing going around the room made him be a little on edge. Trying to ease his nervousness, he figured the best course of action was to act normal. Whatever normal means in Ponyville.

'So,' He hesitantly started to the mare next to him (why did girls, of all things, have to be his kryptonite?) with, he noticed, the bags under her eyes, a clear giveaway of a lack of sleep, 'what do you think this is all about?'
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:33 pm

They say that the Ponyville Town Hall dates back to not long after the very founding of the town itself. Incidentally, so does the Town Hall's coffee.

Pumpkin Spice takes a sip of the brown liquid provided at a table to one side of the room. She scrunches up her face, frowning. Ew! The pegasus drinks another sip before placing the cup on her back, balanced expertly. She adds three more cups, holding all of them on outstretched wings. The tension in the air as she weaves her way through the crowd feels a lot like a hot summer, where it burns a little to breathe and the air feels like it weighs a million pounds, except it’s like that without even being all that hot.

“Windy! Atlas!” she calls as she dodges through the last of the crowd, appearing next to the other two, four cups still balanced on her wings. “Got you guys something to drink,” she says, turning sideways to offer two cups on one wing. “It tastes like a single drop of the finest brew mixed with about 50 gallons of paint thinner, but it’s all they had. I told you that you should have let me stop by that shop on the way here,” she grouses to Boreal. “But nooo, we had to get here RIGHT away or we'd be late. Obviously.” She looks around pointedly at the entire roomful of waiting ponies, then takes another sip from one of the cups still balanced on her wing.

“What’s taking Twilight Sparkle so long?” she asks. “You’d think somepony that lived in a library would know how to read a sundial.”

Last edited by nightlight on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:42 pm; edited 7 times in total
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:41 pm

"Cheers," Atlas picks up one of the cups - which is more a single shot, for a minotaur of his size - and takes a small sip. "Well, it don't taste like the crud from back home, so it's good enough for me!"

With the drink done, Atlas takes a look around as well. "Hmph. I'd heard Princess Twilight Sparkle prides herself on her impeccable organization, but I guess that story was exaggerated a little too."

Last edited by Espresso on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:58 pm

“Trust me, she is way less organized than she thinks she is. Back when the library was still just a library, she charged me 10 bits for a book that she said I didn’t return. I totally did, of course. And don’t even get me started on the late fees…” The pegasus rolls her eyes, finishing off the first cup of coffee and starting on the second without missing a beat. She makes a face. Ick.

“She does a pretty good job at winter wrap-up, though. We’ve gotten it right two years in a row now.” She turns to Atlas. “You probably don’t get it, since you aren’t from here, but that’s kind of a big deal for Ponyville.”

She looks around impatiently, then her head snaps back to the minotaur. “Hold on, the coffee from where you come from is even WORSE?” She looks genuinely horrified. “Next time, I’m bringing you to my parents’ shop. I’ll show you what REAL coffee tastes like, you poor thing."

She pauses. “Assuming clowderhead over here lets me,” she adds, grinning at Boreal.

Last edited by nightlight on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:01 am; edited 2 times in total
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 pm

By no means was Violet Starts thrilled that the meeting was taking place inside town hall her past with the place was less than pleasant so, she kept to the back hopefully out of sight from anypony who actually worked there. Still, the lack of the local princess was starting to feel a little... off.

"Did else something happen to Princess Twilight ?" She mutters to herself.
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:08 pm

Atlas cracks a smile at that. "I'll be looking forward to that, then. Anyway, nothing to do but wait. Everyone comes in late every once in a while, I'm sure the princess is coming soon."
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:51 am

Boreal rolled his eyes at Pumpkin Spice's antics. "If you subject this poor guy to you at your parents shop," he began, using a mildly threatening tone, "Then I will personally see to it that you can never have a flower garden again," he said, accepting the coffee gratefully.

Last edited by Crystalite on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:51 pm

”You already do that, you lunk. You’re lucky they still let you in the shop after what happened ten years ago.” Pumpkin Spice rolls her eyes.

”He couldn’t make a soft landing if we aimed him at a mattress factory. Really, though,” she says, completely seriously to Atlas, ”I should warn you. The coffee there is to die for, but my folks are really, REALLY obsessed with coffee. It's kind of weird. That’s one of the reasons I decided to study at the hospital instead. Well, that and what happened in Canterlot a year ago.”

She looks around again, some of the genuine concern creeping past the impatience. “Princess Twilight Sparkle should have been here by now. Do you think a few of us should go look for her, just in case?” she asks.
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:13 pm

"As they say, fortune favors the brave." Atlas crumples the cup once he's done, tossing it in the approximate location of the nearest trash can. He fiddles a little bit with the lucky charm tied around his neck, before rising up and dusting off his board shorts. "Might as well take a look. Where d'you reckon she'd be?"
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:29 pm

"Because you're not obsessed with coffee," Boreal muttered. "I'm gonna check backstage, see if she's there yet..." he said, putting his coffee down on a convenient surface (Pumpkin Spice's back) before working his way towards the back rooms...

Last edited by Crystalite on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Atlas moves to follow, before pausing like he realizes something. Catching the attention of most of the people in the room, by virtue of his height and size, he clears his throat. "Alright, simmer down, folks. The Princess'll be here shortly, probably. Tell you what, I'll just pop backstage and talk to somepony about the holdup, you good people just sit tight and wait for a bit." Though reassuring, his tone also carries a stern undertone - keep calm, don't overreact. With that said, he returns to his original path behind Boreal Wind.

Persuasion: 1d20 (17) + 13 = 30. Possible +5 from freaky knowledge intimidation for a little extra oomph to chill out the crowd while they poke around.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Pumpkin Spice frowns. “I… have no idea where she might be,” she admits. “Probably collecting fees from some innocent pony for an allegedly late book. Normally, I’d say she's probably in the Big Crystal Castle of Princess Twilight Sparkle Lives Here, only I guess we don’t know where THAT is, either.”

The mare glowers as she’s used as an impromptu table. “Jerk.” She makes the best of it by finishing off  the rest of Boreal’s coffee before tossing all three empty cups at a nearby trash can while Atlas makes his little announcement. She trots over beside the other two as they head back.

Somehow, she doesn’t think the princess has just been standing behind the curtain this whole time, but if somepony does know what’s going on, it’d probably be back there.
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:05 pm

"I have no idea," Cherry Sundae said. Cherry Sundae wasn't really feeling at her best, and the waiting was not helping. She needed to be active at all times, or else she'd try and sneak a nap, and that generally did help, or end well, any more than her nighttime sleep. Still, she had enough presence of mind to be somewhat... concerned regarding Twilight's absence. "We... or I... or somepony... should probably investigate that."

"Hey, wait up,"
she said to those going backstage. "I'll come with you, I need to stretch my legs..."

Last edited by Dusk Raven on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 pm

'Oh, okay.' Lucky Shot mumbled as he watched the mare trot off to the backstage entrance. 'Guess I'll just stay here then.'

Lucky Shot looked around the room to see if any changes had occured. Considering the whole one-sided dialogue with the mare next to him ('or would that be a monologue?' he thought) couldn't have been more than 30 seconds, the answer was no. Nothing had changed. Lucky sighed. He was beginning to wonder as to why he had even bothered to show up at the town's hall today when he could just as well be at home catching up with his favourite (comic) book as something caught his eye. Or rather someone. Way out in front of him but clearly visible due to the height difference, Lucky saw the back of a rather imposing minotaur with something hanging from his neck.

'No way, that couldn't be...' Lucky Shot gasped as his eyes grew wide. 'Could it?' He subsequently began to make his way forward through the crowd. 'Pardon. Excuse me. Sorry, passing through. Sorry. Whoops, didn't see you there. Pardon. Excuse me...'
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:10 pm

Most of the ponies in the room look up at the minotaur in further confusion, still murmuring to themselves. Boreal, meanwhile, is nearly taken to the ground as the doors backstage fly open in a surge of magic. A purple blur crashes through them, pushing him and the others to the side in a whirlwind of scrolls, books, and a few random items. "I'msorryI'msorryI'msorry!" She skids to a halt at center stage, nearly knocking Atlas off. "I was trying to research possible dragon habits, and look into nearby diamond dog activity and then there was an accidentandeverythinggotdisorganizedandSpikeisn'theretohelpmeandthere'snochecklist..." She pauses to catch her breath for a moment, "Sorry, I'm just a little frazzled right now, what with my Assistant and my home being kidnapped. So sorry for the delay, but everything is alright." She adopts a more professional posture at the podium, her stacks of things settling down around her. She clears her throat, and then pulls up a map of Ponyville, and begins.

"Allow me to start at the beginning. My name is Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship. Many of you know me, but for the sake of newcomers to the town, I will explain a bit about myself. I came to Ponyville some odd years ago, and lived in the Library, but more recently, the Library was destroyed, and I took up residence in the new crystalline castle just outside of town. And now, even more recently, that castle- and my young dragon assistant, Spike- have been taken." The map is replaced by a blown up photo of the migrating horde of dragons. "As you might have seen, the Dragon migrations are happening again this year, and this time much closer to home. Now, I was away at Canterlot with my friends when the incident occurred, but have since been informed of the situation." Slide change again, this time to a childish drawing of mean looking dragons, with a unique shield and "CMC" scrawled in the top corner. "Apparently, a group of teenage dragons have taken up residence outside of town, and they plan on taking over Equestria!" She pauses, allowing for a few shocked gasps, and the subsequent fainting of three ponies with flower cutie marks (which the crowd seems to have expected). Twilight continues. "The dragons are not demanding a ransom- they intend to wreak havoc on our town and drive us out, and so I have asked for volunteers, to fight back. Fight for our homes, and our way of life!" She pauses again, now pulling up a chart showing 5 Cutie Marks. "The plan is this- for now, we must resist the dragons and their Diamond Dog allies, disrupt their plans, and supply ourselves against them. Our efforts are divided into Five teams, led by my five friends, the bearers of the Elements of Harmony." She shifts around a few notes. "Much like Winter Wrap-up, I intend to separate all of our volunteers into these 5 teams, each of which has an important mission. However, in addition to these 5 teams, I am also looking for 6 volunteers to form a special group, a Task Force that will spearhead much of the campaign, assisting all the other teams and leading the efforts into defeating the dragons. It might be dangerous, strenuous, stressful, and at the very least, much more difficult than the day to day operations of the 5 teams. So I'm asking for any of those volunteers now, before I go any further."

The crowd, which til now had offered various murmurings of interest and cheers of approval, now falls silent. There don't seem to be many willing to step forward...
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:23 pm

Atlas shrugs and raises his hand. "Might as well. Go big or go broke, and I'm plenty big. Those dragons won't know what hit 'em."
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:35 pm

"Hey, watch it!" Pumpkin Spice leaps out of the way, hovering as the streak of purple shoots through the group, leaving a cloud of parchment in its wake. Oh wait, that was the princess. Oops.

She fidgets impatiently as Twilight begins. Yes, we know who you are. We don't need a history lesson! But, soon, the pegasus is listening with full attention. Her eyes grow wider with each sentence. Wait, they're getting ATTACKED by dragons? This is WAY worse than she'd thought! That one time that giant purple dragon rampaged through the town, not even the Wonderbolts could stop them, and that was just one dragon! She nervously chews on the frayed cord of her necklace.

Silence falls as Twilight calls for volunteers. A cricket chirps. Pumpkin Spice glances quickly over to Boreal, then back to the stage.

"I'm in," she calls before grinning at Atlas and offering a hoofbump. "We'll show them what happens when you mess with Ponyville."
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:46 pm

Boreal winced as Pumpkin volunteered. He couldn't let the idiot mare go off like that!

... But then, if he volunteered, he wouldn't get to work with Rainbow Dash. What was he to do?

... Well, who said he had to volunteer? Pumpkin Spice had to know what she was getting into. It was her own fault for getting involved.

... But then...

"I'll go," Boreal announces, stepping up beside Pumpkin Spice. "Somepony has to watch your flank..." he muttered in her ear.
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Lucky Shot stopped dead in his tracks when Princess Twilight Sparkle bursted into the room. All attention in the room shifted to her and so did Lucky's, momentarily watching the Minotaur from the corner of his eye while keeping his focus on the princess. He listened with great interest as she rattled off her speech (he could clearly recognise the signs of it being rehearsed) and internally summarised it as:
'Equestria is being invaded by dragons. Are you a bad enough pony to rescue Equestria?'

Lucky Shot thought about it. Dragons are cool and all but it sounded mighty dangerous. Shouldn't this be something for the Canterlot Royal Guard to handle? Or perhaps even the Wonderbolts? The more he thought about it, the more appealing it looked to just sit this one out. Preferably back at home underneath his Supercolt blanket with a cup of hot coco and the latest issue of the Marevengers. That last thought caused another to drift into his mind. Something he had read not too long ago. A sentence from one of his comics.
Someone needs to save the world. You're someone. Do the math.

That single line sparked a change in Lucky Shot. Visions of heroic battle against monstrous foes, of daring feats performed by larger than life ponies who stood up when the chips were down. All that glorious imagery filled his mind until someone bumped against him and he got dragged back down to reality. Gone was the image of Lucky Shot, saviour of Ponyville and in his place stood Lucky Shot, the average stallion from down the road. He sighed.

It was then that a little voice piped up in the back of Lucky's head. Well, it wasn't as much a little voice as it seemed to shout within his own head. A voice that sounded almost nothing like his own. Confident, brazen, authoritative and, above all else, loud.
'ARE YOU TIRED OF NOT BEING THE HERO?'

A newfound resolve engulfed Lucky's heart, turning his will into iron. Looking out from the corner of his eye, he saw the minotaur raising his hand as well. That was all he needed. He bravely raised his right hoof in the air.

'I... uhm... I v-volunteer.' Lucky said in a voice that was only hearable because the entire room was silent.
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:04 am

Violet was shaking as the princess made her speech most would see her shaking as a sign of fear or anxiety bit in truth it was excitement,because this was big way bigger than anything she had done before in her entire life. She was a bout to jump up and down like a little filly brimming with eagerness but she stopped herself she can to get in this and getting passed over by acting like a child would not fly at all.

"I volunteer" Violet calls out in her most confident voice.
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Cherry Sundae looks left, looks right, then raises a hoof. "I'll join as well," she says. "It'd be my pleasure."

She doesn't look pleased, but to long-time town residents that's her default expression as far as anypony is concerned.
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:32 am

Twilight's eyes light up as the 6 of you volunteer. "Ohh, wonderful! I was worried I might not get any volunteers, and wouldn't be able to put the plan into action... or have to delegate. Not really something I wanted to do." She chuckles nervously, and then clears her throat again. "Very well then, we have our team members. If you would, please wait for me backstage while I finish assigning the rest of the volunteers to teams." She smiles again, ushering you back to the door she came from, before returning to the stage to begin taking names.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:47 am

"Pfft! You're one to talk, you flying anvil," Pumpkin Spice says to Boreal as she turns to look at the others, hovering slowly backwards. "If I wasn't around to take care of this idiot," she says to Atlas, "He'd probably have drowned in a tiny stream by now.

"Hey, Violet!"
Pumpkin Spice calls. "Windy, Atlas, this is Violet. I met her yesterday while... uh... well, I met her. She's great fun," she says, smirking at the memory. "Violet, this is Atlas, and this is Boreal Wind, the Equine Typhoon," she announces with exaggerated drama. Pumpkin Spice leans closer to the purple maned mare.  "They say his head is made of stainless steel, and instead of hooves, he's got four wheels, and his pecs can each lift a hundred pounds," she supplies in a stage whisper, keeping a straight face with considerable effort.

The pegasus lands, studying Violet thoughtfully. "You don't seem like the type to do go chasing after dragons," she observes. "Neither do you two," she adds to the others. "So... what's the story? How come you guys signed up for this? I'm Pumpkin Spice, by the way," she says to Lucky and Cherry with a smile, extending a forehoof.
nightlight
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:40 am

Atlas chuckles at the remark, and nods his head as his name is brought up. As Pumpkin Spice finishes teasing Boreal, Atlas adds in a similarly conspiratorial whisper, "Such is his fame that floral displays everywhere shiver when he flies overhead, lest they break when he crashes lands."

"So... you're all Ponyville residents, right? With the stories I've heard, I'm surprised there aren't more ponies here to help. Aren't monster attacks kind of your thing? I traveled all the way from the Badlands to help, I'd figure more ponies would be jumping at the opportunity for glorious adventure, if only to defend their homes. " Atlas asks, after Pumpkin Spice is done.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top