Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guilty Gear - Adapting PT/LL for fighting game style combat

2 posters

Go down

Guilty Gear - Adapting PT/LL for fighting game style combat Empty Guilty Gear - Adapting PT/LL for fighting game style combat

Post  Diego Havoc Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Hey all,

I've played PT/LL before and loved the combat system so I'm interested in adapting it for an upcoming game based on the Guilty Gear franchise. For those who don't know, GG is a fighting game with a sci-fi/fantasy feel to it. I think that PT/LL is a great rpg to use for the fighting game genre as each character's special attacks can be modelled as combat talents, which are all easily refluffed as whatever the player likes.

I hit upon the idea of adding super moves (or Overdrives, as the game calls them) to the system but I'm having a little trouble coming up with ways to make them work. My initial idea was to have each player keep track of a super bar (Tension Meter in GG) which would allow them to use the Overdrives (which would be high-cost talents taken at character creation). Each time the character takes or deals damage they gain 1 tension (to a max of 20). They can then spend 10 tension to use an Overdrive attack, spending energy as usual. This would be a stronger version of a normal talent (though I'm not sure how. Maximum damage, maybe?)

The main problem I see with this is it's kinda clunky and is just one more thing the players need to keep track of. I could probably just say to the players "you need to have at least two talents that cost more than X (6-7?) and those are your Overdrives" but that seems kinda bland and also restrictive. Maybe if I give them Overdrives as extra talents they always have, but then that seems very powerful. The other problem with the Tension system is that it punishes players for blocking or avoiding damage or using utilities instead of damage. Any thoughts?

I'll also be using the tabletop system so if there's any good homebrew here on the forum that gives new options for the tabletop version (talents, traits, monsters etc.) I'd appreciate some links. Very Happy

Diego Havoc
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Guilty Gear - Adapting PT/LL for fighting game style combat Empty Re: Guilty Gear - Adapting PT/LL for fighting game style combat

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:18 pm

If you want my opinion, I'd just have the Special Move Crits be flavoured as Overdrives. After all, Overdrives (according to my admittedly limited experience with Guilty Gear) are best done during a combo to ensure a successful hit, and crits rely on your regular combat talents to activate, so "comboing" a regular move into a crit Overdrive makes sense to me...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Guilty Gear - Adapting PT/LL for fighting game style combat Empty Re: Guilty Gear - Adapting PT/LL for fighting game style combat

Post  Diego Havoc Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Firstly, thanks for responding!

It's an idea I hadn't considered. Can't say I'm overly fond of it though. An Overdrive is supposed to be the biggest, flashiest, and strongest move in a character's repertoire and the special moves don't quite fit the bill in most cases. A level 8 crit is rarely impressive and even the level 12 can feel a bit dull. L12 Dazzling Perfomance or Healer's Grace is useful but ultimately unsatisfying in most cases.

I suppose I could find a way to tweak the crit system. Not sure how yet though.

Diego Havoc
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Well, I think the first thing you should figure out is what do you want your Overdrive mechanic to achieve? What sort of playstyle, if any, do you wish to encourage with the mechanics? How do you want your players to think about the mechanic and its uses? You already acknowledged that your original tension would encourage aggressive play, but more defensive or other methods more detrimental, so if you know what you want this mechanic to achieve, you can figure out the best way to implement it...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Havoc Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:41 pm

After thinking about it, all I really wanted was something big that the players can build up to... which is basically what high-cost talents are anyway. I think I'll keep the talents as is, but I'm thinking about adding some sort of action point system that players can use to get a boost (the system I'll be hybridising this one with has a similar mechanic.) So, they start with 1-3 points per session that can be used to "Overdrive" an attack for some kind of boost. Could also be used for other GG mechanics like Faultless defence.

Diego Havoc
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down