[Closed] PT - PbP - The Sunless Lands (Dark Souls meets Pony)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Closed] PT - PbP - The Sunless Lands (Dark Souls meets Pony)

Post  Espresso on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:02 am

These are dark times.

The sun grows dim in the increasingly grey skies. The power of magic wanes, mere flickering sparks to the great magicians of old. The beasts grow savage, crossing previously secure borders into civilized lands. And of those civilized lands, many have fallen, eaten away from within by an eerie phenomena known only as Hollowing, reducing their people to mere husks of their former selves. The great powers of the world have fled, abandoning this forsaken place. Nowhere is safe - not the great Tauren steppes, not the Jade Forests, not the Draconic Ashlands, not the Crystal North, not even the once peaceful land of Equestria.

Nowhere -- except for one. The home of the last remaining great powers, the throne of Equestria Canterlot is rumored to be a bastion of civility in this age of darkness,  providing sanctuary to those able to reach its gates through the many dangers and perils of the world.

Those plagued with hollowing - the Undead - seek Canterlot for rumors of a cure to their disease, and refugees from distant lands come to Equestria in a great, unending exodus. But of these sad souls, not many will even manage to catch sight of Canterlot in the distance.

As the light fades away from these sunless lands, the world needs heroes, more than ever before.

Having been part of a few games, I figure its time to run a game!!! And it's Dark Souls themed, because I love Dark Souls. As can be seen from the intro, the campaign will start off much like in most Souls games - the end of an era of glory. The land is in ruins and it's up to a few brave individuals to save it (or not save it...)

Rudimentary Setting description:
For the most part, the world is the same as canon - Equestria being the initial focus. The geographical locations are largely the same, but the Hollowing plague has rendered many of the locations unsafe. The large cities have all been reduced to ghost cities, and only small insular communities remain untouched. Society has largely broken down, with local communities enforcing their own laws and rules. Travelers are abound, the most common being undead seeking the fabled cure in legendary Canterlot, but non-undead travelers seeking riches, or permanent safety in Canterlot, elso exist. Most of the races in canon still exist, and are also susceptible to hollowing. Ponies in particular lose their cutie marks and gain the darksign instead when hollowed.

Characters, having made it all the way to Equestria and survived the horrors of the world, start at level 5, with an extra 3 ability points rather than boons because I personally am not a fan of the boon system (unless the players really want a boon then we can have boons).

Admitted Characters/Players:
Umber and the Burnt Hollow - Alene
Kabra'za - Senshuken
Ghreham - Faege
Haskur - Bronymous

Are you ready for jolly cooperation?

Last edited by Espresso on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Closed] PT - PbP - The Sunless Lands (Dark Souls meets Pony)

Post  AleneShazam on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Reserving a spot for now.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:13 pm

UGHHHHHH.... I was part of that other Dark Souls themed game that only lasted a week. And now I've played Dark Souls and am quite interested, but I'm already running one game and a part of 4 others, and posting about once a week.

Consider me interested but noncommittal.
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:00 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:UGHHHHHH.... I was part of that other Dark Souls themed game that only lasted a week. And now I've played Dark Souls and am quite interested, but I'm already running one game and a part of 4 others, and posting about once a week.

I'm sure it lasted more than that... but only because of the long posting times everyone got into. Actual in-game time was insultingly short.

Anyway, I typically love "end of an era of glory" settings, as they're a refreshing contrast to the usual "upwards and onwards" theme of civilization in fiction, and seeing the majesty of past areas is always amazing - especially Anor Londo, holy feathers! That being said it's significantly more depressing if it's a place I care about - such as Equestria. One reason I refuse to read Fallout: Equestria. However... Dark Souls! Besides, I'm sure I've got a few characters who would do nicely in this setting...

Speaking of which, what's the timeframe relative to the show? Is this far enough in the future that the former bearers of the Elements of Harmony are but a memory? Or is this in an alternate past of Equestria's, back during the Equestrian Middle Ages?
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:Speaking of which, what's the timeframe relative to the show? Is this far enough in the future that the former bearers of the Elements of Harmony are but a memory? Or is this in an alternate past of Equestria's, back during the Equestrian Middle Ages?

I'm sure they'll show up as hollowed out monsters of their former selves as bosses.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Reserving a spot. Working on a character after I get back from work.
Senshuken
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:07 pm

The game is set an indeterminate amount of time in the future. The elements of harmony are myths at best, forgotten completely by most. Information that doesn't help with survival is largely forgotten.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:15 am

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zxUkDp3xaz4sh-5TQGO4atb7mbCAtR56vekrTxhUteM/edit?usp=sharing

May I introduce The Marvelous and Magnificent Dr Kabra'za!
Senshuken
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:46 am

Working on a concept myself - since my existing OCs are no later than present-day Equestria, I may try and make a new one... not sure if he'll be Hollow or not, but either way I'm testing the concept of "Heretical Pyromancer" - someone who uses not just fire, but the flame of life - whether for healing or inflicting sickness.

Alternatively, I just remembered - in one supernatural post-apoc setting I had, I had a character who found his way to a fabled "safe place" with the aid of the wind, which he could "read" as clearly as though it was made of written words. He could sense its origin, its destination - and whether it told of good news or bad. It was a very... spiritual sort of story, but I wonder if I could make the concept work - a pony who is journeying to a distant place, because of a warm wind that promises hope...
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:55 am

Mechanics-wise, how does the hollow immortality work? I don't suppose we get the immortality ability for free...? *hopeful*
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am

AleneShazam wrote:Mechanics-wise, how does the hollow immortality work? I don't suppose we get the immortality ability for free...? *hopeful*
Oh! This is actually a part I thought about a lot.
Because undead are inherently more fragile than the living (less Max HP in the game) that is reflected with a custom rule as well. In combat, this translates to your character (thematically) dying when you hit 0 HP. Mechanically speaking that's still being unconscious, whatever, but it basically means you die and your corpse is sitting there waiting for someone to revive you. Hitting comatose means your corpse gets so damaged that you can't ever get back up again, and will have to be revived elsewhere (out of combat). True combat death translates to full hollowing - you lose the will to stay sane, and the character is lost forever.

Out of combat, death will be handled on a case-by-case basis - no spoilers :3
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:13 pm

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18l3MbOBp-dxAz0u3Us02OJo0yvikrsklnH3twyX0QCo/edit?usp=sharing

My characters: Glass Maiden Umber and the Burnt Hollow.
A mysterious pair of travelers, to be sure, a hulking armored Hollow, almost burnt to a cinder, carrying a crippled maiden with glassy legs. No one knows where they came from, but they, like so many others, seek the golden city of the sun, Canterlot.
Combat-wise, Umber is a supporting character who heals and buffs, and Hollow is a buffed up conjuror's pet with ongoing damage and AOE capability.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:40 am

So, my usual process of creating a combat build involved looking up and down the list of traits and talents until combos start forming in my head and I find one style that I keep thinking about that I want to try. In this case, I seem to be gravitating towards a build that cheerfully hangs around in "bloodied" state and reaps every possible benefit from it, up to and including benefits from being knocked out and then getting back up. And by benefits I mean... well, this might be the first build I've ever seen that could use "It's Over!" by virtue of having the energy for it.

Otherwise, I feel like this might be going for a bizarre combination of berserker and medic... though I'm at a loss as to how to flavor it. Heretical pyromancy, indeed...
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm guessing they'll be undead, then? Since pyromancy comes from the chaos flame which comes from the lord soul of life (though not sure if Espresso's going to use that exact bit of lore) maybe between the undead curse and the pyromancy flames keeping them alight it's just *really* hard to actually kill them? (or i guess if its undead then go hollow or something)???
or maybe their goal in life *is* to go down repeatedly, thus they'll never fully go hollow and keep coming back?
idk but the build itself sounds interesting
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:51 am

Oh also, so I can plan the game better, I'd also like you to answer some questions about your characters:
1. What does your character aspire to accomplish?
2. What does your character want to possess?
3. What motivates your character to act?
4. What is your character's greatest accomplishment?
5. What is your character's greatest fear?
6. What is your character's greatest regret?
7. What is something your character left behind (person, item, location... etc)?
8. What are three critical memories that shaped your character's personality? Can be of an event, a person, a location, an object, whatever, also state how it affected the character.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:21 am

I actually would like Kabra'za to be alive, no Dark Sign or anything. Playing this game on hard mode.
Senshuken
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Senshuken wrote:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zxUkDp3xaz4sh-5TQGO4atb7mbCAtR56vekrTxhUteM/edit?usp=sharing

May I introduce The Marvelous and Magnificent Dr Kabra'za!

Wow. There goes my idea for a voodoo witch. What are the odds.

Giving me the character creation itch again... I may look into a few ideas, whether I submit a character or not.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:41 pm

AleneShazam wrote:I'm guessing they'll be undead, then? Since pyromancy comes from the chaos flame which comes from the lord soul of life (though not sure if Espresso's going to use that exact bit of lore) maybe between the undead curse and the pyromancy flames keeping them alight it's just *really* hard to actually kill them? (or i guess if its undead then go hollow or something)???
or maybe their goal in life *is* to go down repeatedly, thus they'll never fully go hollow and keep coming back?
idk but the build itself sounds interesting

Well, "dying" as an Undead actually pushes you towards going permanently hollow. In fact, in Dark Souls the player is the only named undead I've seen (with the exception of the DLC's Marvelous Chester) who can die without going Hollow or staying dead - although it's implied Siegmeyer has "died" at least once.

That being said, I'll try and finish a build, then tweak it and fit some flavor to match - along with answering Espresso's questions.
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 pm

Posting interest but I'm not sure if I'll join.
If I end up joining I'm considering either a summon-spam build or a tank...

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:21 pm

I dug up my Unkillable build, but it looks like I tweaked it for another game and didn't save the original, so I need to reconstruct it. Gonna take a minute, but for now I at least have the character in mind.

EDIT: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IZFI_v_tNMJQSiC-cPjitC4QrmZT935xz47LgVvaHU0/edit#

I'm looking into giving him some kind of offensive capability, and then I'll name and backstory him. Are we using the usual pony themed names or more Dark Souls style?
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:I'm looking into giving him some kind of offensive capability, and then I'll name and backstory him. Are we using the usual pony themed names or more Dark Souls style?

Ponies still have pony-ish names (at least in the naming scheme) but the words should reflect the world around them, so you won't be seeing any 'sunshine sparkles' running around in this world. but you can choose a more dark soulsy name of course, provided it's justifiable.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Cool, but now irrelevant- he is now Haskur of Far Iron, the Centaur:
Spoiler:
Refugees from a distant land, certainly, and no land so distant as the homeland of the centaurs. It was not a place of magic like Equestria, but it was a shining beacon of civilization before everything began to collapse. Most Centaurs did not venture far from their kingdom- history tells of only one, driven by power and ambition, who ever traveled to Equestria.
But now, the only thing to find in that land is death and darkness, the light of the flame fading fast. Haskur of Far Iron, proud knight, feared only death in life- and now Undead, the only thing left is that maddening curse, the Hollowing. He flees the Dark, following rumors of hope, of safety, far away in the Pony city of Canterlot. Pony Magic could save him, even his people, maybe. At the very least, better to make his way chasing hope than to sit and wait to be consumed in his home.
It is a far journey, but he is strong. His armor is worn, but fits well. His shields are heavy, but sturdy and unyielding in his arms. He will not fall, not until he sees that city of light and magic for himself...

I doubt I'm going to find a picture to represent him. He is a Centaur (a la Lord Tirek), covered from head to hooves in nigh impenetrable Heavy Armor, standing a few heads above the average pony, and wielding two greatshields. He rarely attacks, but can do some bashing or charging damage with them. He is terrified of death and hollowing, and so is devoted to keeping himself alive, along with any allies, letting his big endurance and resistances keep him alive out of combat, while his big armor and shields soak up most (if not all) damage in combat.

For an armor reference, think a darker Havel's armor with a Bullheaded helmet, and Reeve's and Orma's Greatshields. You know, since we're playing Dark Souls.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:55 pm

I'm looking into giving him some kind of offensive capability, and then I'll name and backstory him. Are we using the usual pony themed names or more Dark Souls style?

Feel free to use this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m0AIyk2-Ux3wM_PtE4_d5-AWjjt9mdc3VD8Z2cpdajY/edit

It's my almost-finished sheet for this campaign, one that I've been working on for about a week now, on and off, hampered mostly by my exam session.

I was about to use it for this game, for I'm almost done, successfully, with the above. Giving this forum a chance after a year has passed.

Was pretty excited about it, after what Shazam and Senshuken told me about it, especially given it is a Dark Souls-oriented campaign. Was proud about using a gimmick with the handicapped Gambler's Armour even..

Thing is, regarding roleplaying, I have one major pet peeve. That is, having characters too similar to what others do.

Now, imagine me, sitting down to finish it today and refreshing to see A1C Bronymous's sheet, having combat 80% same. Stating the wish to give it more offensive capability, being pretty much most of the remaining difference.

For me, this sheet is pretty much scrapped at this point - and given the extent of feelings that brings after beings so hyped about it, I'm not sure what to think of joining the game anymore.

Please don't feel bad about it, Bronymous. I understand you had no clue about this. I do not ask you to change your sheet either. I've gone down even that path with a different person in a different system once and even after resolving it peacefully, it left a bitter aftertaste and a severed bond.

I don't want to go through any of that again, especially since I have no solid foundations here.

The reason I'm posting this sheet is quite the personal one actually, given the meaning of rps in my life so far. Call me a drama queen, but it's because I wish to change myself for the better and leave things better than I did before, as well.

That is why, I'm posting this sheet, hoping that, if not used by me, then at least You'll make good use of it. It's what You've been wishing to do with your character, after all.

At the current state, it blocks up to 18 damage per instance per turn without actually taking any, up until 4th turn. Starting from 5th one onwards, it blocks 36, while dishing out 1+5d6 damage at the same time, every turn. Hope it's to your liking.

The build consists of:

Spoiler:

Spellbook - 500 Gold

Gambler’s Armor - 4500 Gold
Soldier’s Armor - 1500 Gold

Energizing Amulet - 2000 Gold
Greater Reloader - 2500 Gold
Training Diploma - 4000 Gold

Unacceptable!
Rapid Recovery
Vital Surge
Who’s The Tank?
Perfect Defense
Unstoppable
Iron Will
Lightning Reflexes

Don't bother responding. After finishing this message, I plan to close the tab with this forum and open it again in an another year or so.

This game's prompt looked awesome and I hope you will all have a wonderful time partaking in it.
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Well thats...

So the combat talents, traits items are similar, but they're very general purpose as are one or two abilities. But the other abilities, skills, destiny, look and feel of the character are all different. The characters aren't similar at all, just some of what they do in combat, but even that isn't close- my guy defends defends defends, and only has an attack in case he has to solo battle. Yours clearly defends to a point, and then goes heavy offense- two completely different roles in combat.

If you think they're too similar to play, then that's fine, but I don't see it.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:59 am

Yeah, two "similar" builds can play very differently -a good thing, since some moves often end up being taken by multiple people and there's a lot of ways to play very similar builds.

...Ugh.

Meanwhile, it's taking a while to finish this, I apologize - been busy lately with other stuff.
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top