Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Destiny: Faithful Companion

3 posters

Go down

Destiny: Faithful Companion Empty Destiny: Faithful Companion

Post  Philadelphus Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:41 pm

Preface: I feel like the original destines thread is getting a bit crowded, and it's hard to have discussion running on multiple destinies at once, so I decided the post the ones I came up with separately for easier reading.

Some time ago both Prof. Charles Hoofington and I independently came up with the idea of pets that provided some sort of mechanical benefit, but the discussion didn't go very far because it was difficult to come up with ways to balance petless ponies against those with pets, unless the pets really didn't do much (at which point they were back to being mostly flavor). Then I realized that the destiny system could actually work pretty well, so I came up with the following destiny:

(I will say at the start that this destiny has an effect on your combat prowess at higher levels. I wasn't sure if destinies were allowed to do that, so if that's not the case I'd be happy to engage in a discussion about ways to make it out-of-combat only.)

Faithful Companion
Somewhere 'Round Here is a Pet That Will Suit You Just Right
You have somehow managed to acquire some sort of animal companion in your travels. Whether you saved a rabbit from a manticore, warmed that poor shivering owl you found in the snow, or just kept feeding that pesky squirrel that seemed to follow you around, you and this creature have formed some sort of bond. Your pet may be any kind of non-sapient creature (i.e., creatures that can speak intelligently cannot be pets), and it will do its best to follow you around unless you tell it to stay put. You automatically gain the ability Animal Empathy in regards to your pet if you didn't have it before. This pet may not participate in battle (yet), but can do simple tasks that you tell it to, such as fetching an item or helping you herd animals. Also, as a result of caring for a pet you now know more about what a pet really needs, like love and attention. Care and affection. And breath mints! You gain access to the following utility talent:
Animal Ownership:
Animal Ownership
You may pick one skill that you do not already have training in (a Cutie Mark doesn't count) and increase it by +2. Animal Ownership may not be used to improve the same skill more than once.

Bigger and Cooler
As a result of training and tender loving care, your pet may now stand by your side when something threatens you. Your pet will fight in combat directly after you in the initiative order if you so choose, and has 20 hit points and starts with 4 PiPs. Pets function similarly to other creatures: they are knocked unconscious at 0 HP, defeated at -50% of their starting HP, and permanently killed at -100%. Your pet may not trigger your special move with its dice rolls. You may pick 1 combat talent for your pet to have. Your pet gains and loses PiPs like any other creature, but since it has only one move you may want to choose carefully when deciding. You also gain access to the following combats talents which do not count against the number you may bring in to combat:
Pet Command Talents:
[0] Call Pet
If your pet is not in combat, you may spend a standard action calling it into combat. It will take its turn immediately after yours. Taking your pet out of combat and bringing it back in does not restore your pet's PiPs.

[0] Dismiss Pet – Free Action
If you decide that it would be better for your pet to flee combat, you may use this ability to send it out of combat. This ability may be used at any time, even if you are unconscious or defeated. While out of combat your pet cannot affect the fight (obviously), but also cannot be hurt by the fighting.

The #1 Greatest Perfectest Pet in the World
You and your pet have become two parts of a single whole, able to work together to accomplish things neither of you could perform on your own. Any tales told of your exploits in future will be sure to give your faithful friend ample mention. You may take Animal Ownership a second time, you gain the ability Animal Speak in regards to you pet if you didn't already have it, you may choose a second combat talent and a combat trait for your pet (except for the traits listed under "Versatile"), and your pet may now trigger your special moves with its dice rolls.

Last edited by Philadelphus on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Editing the name to fit better)
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Destiny: Faithful Companion Empty Re: Destiny: Faithful Companion

Post  threezeus Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:00 pm

It's was my understanding that destinies are supposed to steer completely clear of combat. I really like the concept though!
threezeus
threezeus
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Of course I only remembered that after I thought it all up and was going to post it, but oh well. Smile We'll see what Dan says I guess. Glad you liked the concept!
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:55 am

Wouldn't this concept be better as a boon?

I like it, but it looks like a boon to me.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down