Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super-Pony-Hero Destiny?

4 posters

Go down

Super-Pony-Hero Destiny? Empty Super-Pony-Hero Destiny?

Post  XandZero2 Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:39 am

Hey guys, I was getting bored the other day, so I started making Super-Pony-Heroes on that one custom pony creator program...

Spoiler:
Super-Pony-Hero Destiny? Pq55g

Spoiler:
Super-Pony-Hero Destiny? Fto3ma

After Batmare, I started thinking... and we need a Super-Pony-Hero Destiny!

We already have Batmare jokes circulating in the mane thread (haha!), and though those are all focused around the Sleuth Destiny, I think if we tried, we could also make a dedicated superhero destiny, something kind of based off Mare-Do-Well for instance.

I'm thinking it would look something like:

Lvl 4: Mare of Many Faces
Over the course of your adventures, you've foaled many evil plans and made many enemies. Because of this, you have spent some time creating a super disguise persona for yourself in order to protect those you care about from becoming targets for your enemies' ire. This disguise persona comes complete with your choice of snazzy mask, cape, and/or tights - and the disguise is so complete that nopony can easily recognize you for who you are. In-game, you can switch to this disguise in a matter of seconds, and it takes a DC (30?) Perception Check to recognize who you are. You also get a +5 bonus to Persuasion checks when flirting with the opposite sex - as who doesn't like a mare in uniform? This bonus expires if you ever reveal your true identity - as it just ruins the mystique.

Lvl 7: 20% Cooler Gadgets
After mastering your super disguise persona, you've turned your attention on more important matters - liking getting tons and tons of cool gadgets to fight dischord throughout Equestria! In game, you can use the Earth Pony Utility Talent, "Create Crazy Contraption" instantly and without expending a Magic Point five times a day (?) - as you always seem to have the right tool for the job - whether it be in a utility belt or a saddlebag full of "extra special" arrows. You also get another +5 bonus to Persuasion checks when flirting with the opposite sex - as who doesn't like a mare in uniform... with cool gadgets? Again though, this bonus expires if you ever reveal your true identity.

Lvl 10: Pony Friends Unlimited!
You're exploits (and the exploits of your super disguise persona) have become so legendary that you've attracted a number of powerful ponies to join your cause. Together you wage a war on the agents of Dischord - or at the very least, give your enemies a real headache when trying to keep track of you. Your pony companions can dress up as your super disguise persona to create all kinds of shenanigans - making your enemies second guess themselves when trying to chase you, fool them into believing you have powers that you don't actually have (thank you Pony Friends!) or even make them believe they have the wrong mare. In game, you can call on your allies at will. They won't fight for you, but they will greatly distract and confuse your enemies, giving you that vital time you need to plan an escape or make a clean getaway.

I know that Super-Heroes can come in a number of varieties, and with this destiny, I'm manely focusing on the disguise, the Batmare gadgets, and the V for Vendetta-esque multitude of super friends.

Thoughts?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Super-Pony-Hero Destiny? Empty Re: Super-Pony-Hero Destiny?

Post  Videocrazy Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:16 am

Over the course of your adventures, you've foaled many evil plans and made many enemies. Because of this, you have spent some time creating a super disguise persona for yourself in order to protect those you care about from becoming targets for your enemies' ire. This disguise persona comes complete with your choice of snazzy mask, cape, and/or tights - and the disguise is so complete that nopony can easily recognize you for who you are. In-game, you can switch to this disguise in a matter of seconds, and it takes a DC (30?) Perception Check to recognize who you are. You also get a +5 bonus to Persuasion checks when flirting with the opposite sex - as who doesn't like a mare in uniform? This bonus expires if you ever reveal your true identity - as it just ruins the mystique.

And if a villain reveals it, or circumstance forces you to reveal your identity, lest all of "insert town here" is "insert themed method of destruction here"? It can feel frustrating to be railroaded into losing a bonus. You might also want to clarify what the bonus is. Is it the entire benefits of this Destiny level, or the +5 bonus?

After mastering your super disguise persona, you've turned your attention on more important matters - liking getting tons and tons of cool gadgets to fight dischord throughout Equestria! In game, you can use the Earth Pony Utility Talent, "Create Crazy Contraption" instantly and without expending a Magic Point five times a day (?) - as you always seem to have the right tool for the job - whether it be in a utility belt or a saddlebag full of "extra special" arrows. You also get another +5 bonus to Persuasion checks when flirting with the opposite sex - as who doesn't like a mare in uniform... with cool gadgets? Again though, this bonus expires if you ever reveal your true identity.

You realize that Inventor 10 has a weaker version of this, right? CCC three times a day, without expending a magic point. Though, admittedly, I don't know if that's added so that you have a personal benefit to go with a more general one. Still seems overpowered though.

You're exploits (and the exploits of your super disguise persona) have become so legendary that you've attracted a number of powerful ponies to join your cause. Together you wage a war on the agents of Dischord - or at the very least, give your enemies a real headache when trying to keep track of you. Your pony companions can dress up as your super disguise persona to create all kinds of shenanigans - making your enemies second guess themselves when trying to chase you, fool them into believing you have powers that you don't actually have (thank you Pony Friends!) or even make them believe they have the wrong mare. In game, you can call on your allies at will. They won't fight for you, but they will greatly distract and confuse your enemies, giving you that vital time you need to plan an escape or make a clean getaway.

I'm a little confused as to how this works mechanically. Do you use this, and your allies come from nowhere? Might there be a delay if there's a good reason for it (such as in an alternate universe)? Also, what's the restriction on this? Magic? 1/Day? 1/Session?
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Videocrazy wrote:

And if a villain reveals it, or circumstance forces you to reveal your identity, lest all of "insert town here" is "insert themed method of destruction here"? It can feel frustrating to be railroaded into losing a bonus. You might also want to clarify what the bonus is. Is it the entire benefits of this Destiny level, or the +5 bonus?

You realize that Inventor 10 has a weaker version of this, right? CCC three times a day, without expending a magic point. Though, admittedly, I don't know if that's added so that you have a personal benefit to go with a more general one. Still seems overpowered though.

I'm a little confused as to how this works mechanically. Do you use this, and your allies come from nowhere? Might there be a delay if there's a good reason for it (such as in an alternate universe)? Also, what's the restriction on this? Magic? 1/Day? 1/Session?

^Good thoughts.

I didn't put a whole lot of thought into these ideas yet, and I guess it shows.

Hmm... I realize that it could be frustrating to be railroaded into losing a bonus, but I also kind of like the idea of having a chance of losing the bonus too, as here it feels like it would give that element of suspense that all Super-Hero stories thrive on. "Oh no - the villain knocked him out. Is he going to remove his mask?!"

Maybe all the destiny abilities could be lost if you were unmasked, but perhaps it could also be hard to get unmasked, due to anything from special security systems (tech-based or magic) that shock anyone touching the mask, to random convenient occurrences that distract the bad-guys or make them think twice before touching you.

As for 20% Cooler Gadgets, I completely forgot the inventor had something similar. Not sure what to replace it with, though there are a lot of possibilities. Maybe there should be an origin story ability added in somewhere for super-power options?

Also, as to the Lvl 10 ability, I guess there probably should be a casting time. Dependent on where you are, it probably should take your doubles longer to get to you. I'm thinking it would also be 1 magic point per use, or have a once a day limitation.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Wow. Those pictures are...wow. Did you really do that with just Pony Creator? That's amazing.

Oh, right, the destiny. Um...I would say that as a destiny, level 10 should probably have some numbers in it somewhere. At the very least, you could put something in like "summon 2d4 allies", because otherwise it's kinda vague. Also, I'm thinking that by level 10 you probably don't need to worry about escaping too much...is there some other service these allies could provide? Distraction, I think you mentioned, maybe put in some more limits on what you can and can't get your allies to do? I'm just saying this because I think destinies are supposed to be more like utility talents which have specific, defined abilities (which usually involves quantifying them via numbers), rather than like boons which are more role-playing oriented (and don't usually contain numbers).
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:05 am

Philadelphus wrote:Wow. Those pictures are...wow. Did you really do that with just Pony Creator? That's amazing.

Yeah, I used the program you can find here:

http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-Full-Version-254295904

I just played around with it, and those designs proved to be pretty easy to make. They even had costumes for Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn by the look of 'em, but I decided to stop on Batmare (or Batcolt actually, but whatever).

Philadelphus wrote:Oh, right, the destiny. Um...I would say that as a destiny, level 10 should probably have some numbers in it somewhere. At the very least, you could put something in like "summon 2d4 allies", because otherwise it's kinda vague. Also, I'm thinking that by level 10 you probably don't need to worry about escaping too much...is there some other service these allies could provide? Distraction, I think you mentioned, maybe put in some more limits on what you can and can't get your allies to do? I'm just saying this because I think destinies are supposed to be more like utility talents which have specific, defined abilities (which usually involves quantifying them via numbers), rather than like boons which are more role-playing oriented (and don't usually contain numbers).

I kind of imagine at level 10 you'd be able to summon a veritable army of look-alikes, but something like 2d4 could work too. You never know when a good escape might come in handy though. Perhaps the look-alikes could slip you items in the ensuing chaos, scare the bad guys into fleeing, free you from life-threatening situations, etc. Maybe they could count as having the player's stats for purposes of role-playing checks - but they wouldn't be able to fight, and would flee from combat?

Maybe the Lvl 7 ability could be to summon a smaller amount of look-alikes, and the Lvl 10 ability would allow you to double that?

I still like the idea of implementing gadgets or superpowers into the destiny though. Maybe at Lvl 7 you'd get bonuses to Athletics and Precision checks from your gear? +5 maybe? It would also allow you to fly short distances (web-slingers, bat-glider, jet pack, etc.) or scale sheer surfaces (grappling guns, spider-stickiness, etc.).
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:22 am

An idea for Level 7 is that you actually develop some kind of superpower. We'd have to make a list of what you can use otherwise things would get ugly but this destiny sounds like it has potential. Besides, not every hero has to be tech/gear based.

And for Level 10? Maybe something about your exploits having attracted the attention of similar minded and gifted ponies and you're now part of the Justice League of Equestria or the Marevengers? Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a concept for that in game mechanics. Perhaps I shall brainstorm on it later.

Because if there's one thing I love as much (or even more) as detective fiction, it's superheroes. Very Happy
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Demonu wrote:An idea for Level 7 is that you actually develop some kind of superpower. We'd have to make a list of what you can use otherwise things would get ugly but this destiny sounds like it has potential. Besides, not every hero has to be tech/gear based.

And for Level 10? Maybe something about your exploits having attracted the attention of similar minded and gifted ponies and you're now part of the Justice League of Equestria or the Marevengers? Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a concept for that in game mechanics. Perhaps I shall brainstorm on it later.

Because if there's one thing I love as much (or even more) as detective fiction, it's superheroes. Very Happy

That last one sounds more like a boon than a Destiny perk.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Videocrazy wrote:
Demonu wrote:An idea for Level 7 is that you actually develop some kind of superpower. We'd have to make a list of what you can use otherwise things would get ugly but this destiny sounds like it has potential. Besides, not every hero has to be tech/gear based.

Boons are for parties, Destinies reflect the individual. Why would the entire party be acquainted with an outside superhero team if only one of them decides to be a superhero?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Demonu wrote:
Videocrazy wrote:

Boons are for parties, Destinies reflect the individual. Why would the entire party be acquainted with an outside superhero team if only one of them decides to be a superhero?

Because the entire party now has access to all of the team's resources, and with the size you describe it sounds like they'd be very vast, indeed. Besides that, the hero can always pass the rest off as sidekicks or something.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Videocrazy wrote:
Demonu wrote:
Videocrazy wrote:

Because the entire party now has access to all of the team's resources, and with the size you describe it sounds like they'd be very vast, indeed. Besides that, the hero can always pass the rest off as sidekicks or something.
I never said that the party was involved in it. The superhero team would contact the one with the Superhero destiny. Hoarding all the resources and then passing them off to the party isn't something a superhero would do (let alone be possible) And I don't think party members would take kindly to being regulated to side-kicks.

Besides, this destiny is far from being up to snuff. Don't get your knickers in a bunch over technicalities at this point.

Now than, any suggestions for a list of superpowers that could be used for this Destiny? I think 20 should be enough to start with.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:04 am

Demonu wrote:
Now than, any suggestions for a list of superpowers that could be used for this Destiny? I think 20 should be enough to start with.

Twenty?!

-That's a lot. At least some of the powers could potentially be utility talents that have already been created too, maybe boosted somehow. For instance, being able to talk to animals. How many super-heroes can do that? Squirrel Girl, Aqua Man... I actually can't think of any others, but I know they're out there - I just don't know how you'd improve upon talking to animals. Perhaps you could get them to automatically do your bidding?

Here's some other ideas, just because I was curious how many I could think up on the spot:

Super-Strength - Bonus to Athletics?
Marksmen - Bonus to Precision?
Mastermind - Bonus to Knowledge?
Mentalist - Bonus to Horse-Sense?
Techie - Able to climb sheer surfaces and fly?
Pyro - Able to control fire at will?
Hydro/Ice Mare - Able to control water at will?
Geo - Able to control earth at will?
Airbender - Able to control wind?
Retractable Armor Plating - Can ignore fall damage, damage from falling debris, death traps, etc.
Tartarus-spawned - Open a pocket dimension? Spawn Tartarus monsters? Intimidation bonus? -Might have a negative side-effect too, like taking away points from a party's harmony (I know that I'd feel a lot less harmonic if I just summoned a horde of demons)?
Super-Speed - give them the Hippogriff ability, only perhaps make it less damaging?
Incorporeal - Able to become incorporeal for periods of time so that you can walk through solid objects and avoid taking damage from non-magical effects?
Mass Phase-Step - Able to use the Unicorn Phase-Step ability, but can take a party of 6 with you?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:28 am

Invisibility? X-ray vision?

Also,
XandZero2 wrote:Twenty?!

-That's a lot.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:19 am

Philadelphus wrote:Invisibility? X-ray vision?

Also,
XandZero2 wrote:Twenty?!

-That's a lot.
Really? Twenty is a lot? I just gave up 20 as a basis because frankly, anything could be turned into a superpower (wether or not it's a useful/wanted one is something else entirely)

Anyway, the main problem is that "superhero" is too diverse to be molded into a single destiny of only 3 benefits. It's porbably going to end up with that every superpower is going to be its own subcategory.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Demonu wrote:
Anyway, the main problem is that "superhero" is too diverse to be molded into a single destiny of only 3 benefits. It's porbably going to end up with that every superpower is going to be its own subcategory.

There should be a way to simplify this without making a ton of sub-categories. Maybe Lvl 7 would allow you to gain the benefits of another race's racial abilities? That way, you could learn how to fly, use ponykinesis, shape-shift, etc - even if you don't have wings, a unicorn horn, and so on.

Maybe you could also take one utility talent from your new "race," in a similar way to how Changelings do it?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down