Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Destiny: Professional Possession Pincher

+4
AProcrastinatingWriter
Philadelphus
tygerburningbright
Hayatecooper
8 posters

Go down

Destiny: Professional Possession Pincher Empty Destiny: Professional Possession Pincher

Post  Hayatecooper Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 am

Professional Possession Pincher or PPP for short! (Working title)

Level 4 - Permanently borrowed/One hoof Discount - 1 minute prep time
That's a nice looking saddlebag isn't it? Those hoofboots, just divine! Thankfully due to some rather shady upbringing on your part you don't need to pay as often as you should. You get a +2 to stealth on objects you are trying to steal from any person close to you. I hope you have somewhere to stick all that loot, and no one notices you loitering.

Security is for Suckers - 2/day
You've been breaking into places any security may as well be an overweight sleeping guard. Once per day you can break into or get passed pretty much anything you choose without needing to roll a stealth check to hide. Just make sure not fall over, that's always just awkward. (Still need to roll stealth checks to steal while this is on. Adding it cause friend asked)

Sold Celestia's Crown - 1/day
Rumors of the Mare/Stallion who broke into the palace by pretending to be a duke are pretty much legendary. You're not giving anything away but you might know the pony who managed it; also are you interested in Celestia's crown? For you know, a modest fee.

You are pretty much a master thief, (Permanently borrowed/Security is for Suckers) no longer has the two day limit nor prep time. You also gain a +2 bonus to talking to anyone on the wrong side of the law, just be careful who you boast to, you never know who might be working for the guards.

Honestly I feel this is kinda weak... advice would absolutely be appreciated. Thanks! (Totally not Team bravo Mouse player. *cough* What gave you that idea?)
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Destiny: Professional Possession Pincher Empty Re: Destiny: Professional Possession Pincher

Post  tygerburningbright Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:Professional Possession Pincher or PPP for short! (Working title)

Level 4 - Permanently borrowed/One hoof Discount - 1 minute prep time
That's a nice looking saddlebag isn't it? Those hoofboots, just divine! Thankfully due to some rather shady upbringing on your part you don't need to pay as often as you should. You get a +2 to stealth on objects you are trying to steal from any person close to you. I hope you have somewhere to stick all that loot, and no one notices you loitering.

Security is for Suckers - 2/day
You've been breaking into places any security may as well be an overweight sleeping guard. Once per day you can break into or get passed pretty much anything you choose without needing to roll a stealth check to hide. Just make sure not fall over, that's always just awkward. (Still need to roll stealth checks to steal while this is on. Adding it cause friend asked)

Rumors of the Mare/Stallion who broke into the palace by pretending to be a duke are pretty much legendary. You're not giving anything away but you might know the pony who managed it; also are you interested in Celestia's crown? For you know, a modest fee.

You are pretty much a master thief, (Permanently borrowed/Security is for Suckers) no longer has the two day limit nor prep time. You also gain a +2 bonus to talking to anyone on the wrong side of the law, just be careful who you boast to, you never know who might be working for the guards.

Honestly I feel this is kinda weak... advice would absolutely be appreciated. Thanks! (Totally not Team bravo Mouse player. *cough* What gave you that idea?)

First two seem good. Second part of two is way way way underpowered it would be good for level 4 though it is that underpowered prehaps you could do something like by spending a Magic Point you can attempt a theft that goes beyond the impossible where a normal thief would try to steal a blue rose, raid the Manehatten bank,or take Pinkie's Party suplies you take the color blue, the city of Manehatten, and Pinkie's ablity to have parties.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Destiny: Professional Possession Pincher Empty Re: Destiny: Professional Possession Pincher

Post  Philadelphus Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:33 pm

I agree, it's a bit underpowered, and, honestly, not very flashy at the moment. I think destinies work best if they give you some sort of cool ability (or two, or three) instead of just being skill bonuses. Perhaps you could widen the focus slightly so that your destiny is to become the most stealthy pony ever? Because you could be stealthy without necessarily being a burglar, although that would certainly remain an option. I'll see if I can't brainstorm some ideas while at work today.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Destiny: Professional Possession Pincher Empty Redostuff

Post  Hayatecooper Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:37 pm

tygerburningbright wrote: First two seem good. Second part of two is way way way underpowered it would be good for level 4 though it is that underpowered prehaps you could do something like by spending a Magic Point you can attempt a theft that goes beyond the impossible where a normal thief would try to steal a blue rose, raid the Manehatten bank,or take Pinkie's Party suplies you take the color blue, the city of Manehatten, and Pinkie's ablity to have parties.
[b]

I had a feeling the second one was kinda weak, my biggest fear was making it to OP so I guess I bolted in the opposite direction as fast as I could. Oh god... I could imagine the ability to steal Pinkies abilities to have parties, you'd spend the rest of the campaign being chased by some form of hell demon pinkie.

Hmm. I assume you mean the speech part of the Third one.
Maybe something like

You are pretty much a master thief, (Permanently borrowed/Security is for Suckers) no longer has the two day limit nor prep time. You also have gained stealing powers far beyond and ordinary mortal! Maybe a guard knows a phrase or someone is the embodiment of all that annoys you; by spending a magic point you can steal these off them.

For example; you could technically steal Twilight's ability to read; you'd still have to roll stealth(DC set at PM's Digression obviously) to see if they notice you mucking around inside of there minds, hearts, whatever but you still get it even if they notice you. You just might not like the consequences if they do...

also zarhon gave me this as a level four/level suggestion. Which are both stupidly awesome.

Quick Hoof - level 4
You get a +5 bonus to stealing clothing or similar "worn" objects off other creatures, as well as as +10 bonus to stealing "held" objects (e.g. swords, a gem in the hoof...). You also gain the following utility:Once per day, you can make a successful theft of a "worn" object hidden for up to 5 minutes, provided that item is not the focus of their attention (so a pony might not notice his saddlebag is missing, or his glasses were swiped, or that he's holding a coal in his hand instead of a gem).

Thief Sight - Level 7
-You gain the ability to gauge what objects are in a pony's possession, even when they aren't visible or directly obtainable (hidden in mane, inside saddlebags, within a small locked box, or a closed purse).
- Twice per day you can attempt to steal such concealed or generally inaccessible items with no negative penalties. If you fail, you cannot attempt it again, however, without getting caught. If stolen, their owner is not aware of the theft until they try to retrieve the item.
- You gain a +5 bonus to keeping your thefts hidden through stealth. (As delicate pickpocketing thefts usually require precision)
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Just to throw it out there, how about a daily (possibly Magic) power to become invisible for a period of time? Probably 5 or 10 minutes so as not to be too overpowered. Could be something to add to the level 7 or level 10 tier.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Philadelphus wrote:Just to throw it out there, how about a daily (possibly Magic) power to become invisible for a period of time? Probably 5 or 10 minutes so as not to be too overpowered. Could be something to add to the level 7 or level 10 tier.

Aww, no invisble mare?

level 10 - Invisible Mare
You broke into the wrong laboratory and maybe swallowing that potion wasn't the most bright idea you ever had for a way to hide something. Oh shit, you are now invisible with no way of reversing the effects, good news is you no longer needs to stealth! Bad news, well... you are permanently invisible.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:
Philadelphus wrote:Just to throw it out there, how about a daily (possibly Magic) power to become invisible for a period of time? Probably 5 or 10 minutes so as not to be too overpowered. Could be something to add to the level 7 or level 10 tier.

Aww, no invisble mare?

You broke into the wrong laboratory and maybe swallowing that potion wasn't the most bright idea you ever had for a way to hide something. Oh shit, you are now invisible with no way of reversing the effects, good news is you no longer needs to stealth! Bad news, well... you are permanently invisible.

Don't think level 10s are supposed to have drawbacks quite that severe. Or, rather, drawbacks at all. :p

...also, I don't think Pony Tales is the type of roleplaying book to condone cursing, being based on MLP and all. In fact, I can't ever recall reading any professional book that ever resorted to cursing, and professionism is what we are going for, here. I personally don't mind people cursing, but putting it directly in the rulebooks strikes me as...crass. Sorry.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:52 am

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:
Hayatecooper wrote:

Aww, no invisble mare?

Don't think level 10s are supposed to have drawbacks quite that severe. Or, rather, drawbacks at all. :p

...also, I don't think Pony Tales is the type of roleplaying book to condone cursing, being based on MLP and all. In fact, I can't ever recall reading any professional book that ever resorted to cursing, and professionism is what we are going for, here. I personally don't mind people cursing, but putting it directly in the rulebooks strikes me as...crass. Sorry.

^ Rolling Eyes

Come on, APW. I think it was supposed to be read as a joke. You take things too seriously dude.

-Although, if we really wanted to make an Invisible Mare ability, you could always wrap yourself up in rags and wear sunglasses when you wanted to be seen. After all, it worked for the original Invisible Man (;
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 am

XandZero2 wrote:
AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:
Hayatecooper wrote:

Aww, no invisble mare?

^ Rolling Eyes

Come on, APW. I think it was supposed to be read as a joke. You take things too seriously dude.

-Although, if we really wanted to make an Invisible Mare ability, you could always wrap yourself up in rags and wear sunglasses when you wanted to be seen. After all, it worked for the original Invisible Man (;

Or you could cover your coat in liquid rainbow / paint and dye your mane and look like the pastel-colored pony that you are. Except maybe the eyeballs.

Maybe the invisibility should be limited to "cartoon" invisibility? As in, everything except your eyes/eyelashes turn invisible (Like a cartoon in complete darkness). If you close your eyes, you can't see, but neither can anyone see you. If you have them opened, people might see a pair of eyes floating around, but only from the front (the invisible body parts somehow conceal stuff and magic).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am

You can turn invisible at will, spending a magic point to become invisible for an undetermined period of time?
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Destiny: Professional Possession Pincher Empty Change it to stealth?

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:01 pm

I have to admit... I kinda like the invisible mare power now, and yes it was a joke and I do apologize about the swears. It was inappropriate and I'm sorry. So.. who wants to do what Philadelphus suggested and just turn this into a full on stealth power?
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:I have to admit... I kinda like the invisible mare power now, and yes it was a joke and I do apologize about the swears. It was inappropriate and I'm sorry. So.. who wants to do what Philadelphus suggested and just turn this into a full on stealth power?

I think we do honestly need to have some form of invisibility somewhere in the game. Would it be best as the Lvl 10 ability for this destiny though? That I'm not sure about. Seems like it would help a thief get where they want to go, but then, I could also see it as being part of a ninja destiny too!

Huh? Anyone? Ninja destiny? (;

Also, would it be powerful enough as a Lvl 10 ability? I have no idea one way or the other.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:08 am

A thought for a potential level 10 invisibility power:

[Insert Cool Name Here] – Magic
Whether by means of magic, or simply by breaking the fourth wall, you are able to vanish completely from sight for up to an hour. While invisible you may still be detected by sound, scent, or feel, but enemies receive a -10 penalty to Perception checks made to notice you. You cannot be engaged in combat, and any checks made to physically or magically restrain you suffer a -10 penalty as well. Things that you pick up while invisible will become invisible as well.

While coming up with this I had the thought that invisibility might not actually be that powerful an ability for ponies, as they probably rely on their vision less than humans do, relatively, while having correspondingly better senses of hearing and smell. Scent, in particular, might be difficult for potential stealthy type as it's fairly hard to mask. To avoid getting bogged down in realism I tried to keep it simple and just apply a flat penalty to opposing Perception checks. Players could still roll Stealth checks to see if they're being quiet enough/keeping cool enough that they aren't sweating too much/etc.

Also, for a level 7 ability I thought it'd be neat to have some sort of smokebomb/flash grenade ability that lets you stun/confuse/surprise people long enough to make a quick escape, but I'm having trouble coming up with idea. Thoughts, anyone?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Here's my rough take on it

Level 4: Utility Belt
It's time to step up your game if you want to make it as a thief. You're quite skilled at moving from shadow to shadow but a great thief is prepared for anything and to that end, you've gone and got yourself your very own utility belt. This belt holds a couple of pockets to store small objects such as smoke bombs, flash bombs, stink bombs, noise bombs, small charges of dynamite and freeze bombs. In short, everything to ensure a quick getaway for when things go South. There are also a couple of empty pockets to store all the loot you've collected. Obviously...

Level 7: Invisibility - Daily
You no longer hide in the shadows and they no longer hide you. For even in broad daylight, you've mastered the art of disappearing without notice. Once a day, you can turn completely invisible for up to 30 minutes. Other ponies or characters suffer a -10 penalty to Perception when trying to notice you. But when they know you're around and are actively looking for the Invisible Mare, they only suffer a -5 penalty to Perception. In addition, while you're invisible, you gain Sticky Hooves (of claws, talons, hands, whatever)
Sticky Hooves
When you try to "procure" something while invisible, you may roll twice on the skill check and take the highest result.

Level 10: Retcon - Magic
Uhu, you've been caught! Never fear, this is where all those hours of training come in handy. Through convoluted methods, esoteric rituals and just plain making stuff up, you can convice bystanders that something didn't happen. They saw you running away with the crown jewels? Nah, that was just a figment of their imagination. You miscalculated and dropped hard from the ceiling into the floor while trying to sneak in? Must have been the wind. Caught red-hooved with your hoof in the cooky jar? I thought not!

Yeah, the last one is kind of "He Did It!" spread wider and cranked up to eleven but what do you think?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:59 pm

@Demonu: What would be the in-game mechanics of a utility belt?

Would you get an ability to end any combat prematurely and run? Maybe before a combat breaks out, you could use a bomb and make an Athletics check with a +(5-10?) bonus to flee. Maybe this could also allow party members to flee with the same bonus? Not sure how many times per day you could use the ability, but a combat escape mechanic might be pretty cool. Maybe limit it to 2-3 times per day?

I like everything else so far, but maybe instead of making the Lvl 10 ability be for a magic point, make it be 1-2/day? It seems a little weak.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down