Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unicorn talents

+15
AProcrastinatingWriter
SilentBelle
Cardbo
Demonu
LoganAura
MirrorImage
AlicornPriest
Zarhon
SimpleZen
Stairc -Dan Felder
Ramsus
The Warrior of Many Faces
Masterweaver
Videocrazy
Philadelphus
19 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Unicorn talents - Page 5 Empty Re: Unicorn talents

Post  Jason Shadow Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:06 am

Just a silly idea that popped into my head.

Don't Phase Me, Bro
Prerequisite: Phase Step
Whenever you activate Phase Step, if any creature(s) were touching you at the moment of activation, you may choose (on an individual basis) if they also gain phasing. They phase until they are no longer touching you or until your duration for phasing expires.
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Jason Shadow wrote:Just a silly idea that popped into my head.

Don't Phase Me, Bro
Prerequisite: Phase Step
Whenever you activate Phase Step, if any creature(s) were touching you at the moment of activation, you may choose (on an individual basis) if they also gain phasing. They phase until they are no longer touching you or until your duration for phasing expires.

I can see this being useful at times. I'm not sure if this worth being a full blown talent or just Counter Arcana check to not be phased.

----

Hyperspace Arsenal - At Will
You have an extradimensional space available, about the size of a meter squared, to put stuff and pull stuff out of of. The arsenal is available only to you and you always know whats inside it and can instantly pull whatever you want from it.
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Given the fact I'm planing on building a Unicorn with a Broken Horn, I've come to realize that there maybe should be a Unicorn Talent to reflect that that could open up a lot of fun Role Playing options.

Broken Horn
At character creation (or if somehow the party Role Plays a Unicorn character's horn being broken) this talent can be taken. All Arcana Skill Checks for Casting Magic have a -5 penalty other then two Magical Schools decided on while taking this talent. Any casting or knowledge checks made involving those one or two Magical Schools give a +3 or +5 bonus (If you choose only one magical school it get's a +5 bonus, but if you choose two both get a +3 bonus. Also casting these types of spells don't get the normal -5 casting penalty most Casting Magic Skill Checks get.) And any attempts to cast "Wild Magic" get a +8 bonus. (Casting "Wild Magic" doesn't get any penalty... But Wild Magic is mostly a random DM contorted magical effect that can have any level of help or harm when a skill check is made for it. Both failing and success can have something good or bad happen depending on the DM's whim. Mostly think of what happened while Twilight was a Filly doing her magic test and that whole "Magical Surge" thing was full Wild Magic in action. Whether it was a Fail or Success with Wild Magic is upto ones own interpretation.) This talent does NOT effect a pony's Ponykinesis or any other Unicorn Utility Talents. Also a Broken Horn can be fixed at the loss of this talent with a high DC Heal check...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Given the fact I'm planing on building a Unicorn with a Broken Horn, I've come to realize that there maybe should be a Unicorn Talent to reflect that that could open up a lot of fun Role Playing options.

Broken Horn
At character creation (or if somehow the party Role Plays a Unicorn character's horn being broken) this talent can be taken. All Arcana Skill Checks for Casting Magic have a -5 penalty other then two Magical Schools decided on while taking this talent. Any casting or knowledge checks made involving those one or two Magical Schools give a +3 or +5 bonus (If you choose only one magical school it get's a +5 bonus, but if you choose two both get a +3 bonus. Also casting these types of spells don't get the normal -5 casting penalty most Casting Magic Skill Checks get.) And any attempts to cast "Wild Magic" get a +8 bonus. (Casting "Wild Magic" doesn't get any penalty... But Wild Magic is mostly a random DM contorted magical effect that can have any level of help or harm when a skill check is made for it. Both failing and success can have something good or bad happen depending on the DM's whim. Mostly think of what happened while Twilight was a Filly doing her magic test and that whole "Magical Surge" thing was full Wild Magic in action. Whether it was a Fail or Success with Wild Magic is upto ones own interpretation.) This talent does NOT effect a pony's Ponykinesis or any other Unicorn Utility Talents. Also a Broken Horn can be fixed at the loss of this talent with a high DC Heal check...

Magical Schools? where are you getting this from? Casting magic is only done with witchcraft no? Wild Magic again where is this from? Are you using third party source books already! Please elaborate on just about everything.

Last edited by tygerburningbright on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Cardbo wrote:Hyperspace Arsenal - At Will
You have an extradimensional space available, about the size of a meter squared, to put stuff and pull stuff out of of. The arsenal is available only to you and you always know whats inside it and can instantly pull whatever you want from it.

Partly I'm not sure if this would be a better Everypony Talent or not... And I think this because of Pinkie Pie. Maybe have it be an everypony Talent that helps slightly more with Unicorns or something.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Magical Schools? where are you getting this from? Casting magic is only done with witchcraft no? Wild Magic again where is this from? please elaborate just about everything.
MY intent was more or less to build it sorta like a unicorn-only version of Freaky Knowledge but limited to magical casting and hurts your casting skills in what you don't choose to be good in... And yes Casting Magic is something that is only possible with It's Witchcraft, I don't intend this to change that. But at the same time it seemed dumb to me to have It's Witchcraft to be a Prerequisite to take having a Broken Horn... But really this talent wouldn't have much power without taking It's Witchcraft along with it. And "Wild Magic" was more or less just an idea I came up out of nowhere... The More I think about it... Maybe it should allow the casting of "Wild Magic" with or without having "It's Witchcraft" along with it?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:
tygerburningbright wrote:Magical Schools? where are you getting this from? Casting magic is only done with witchcraft no? Wild Magic again where is this from? please elaborate just about everything.
MY intent was more or less to build it sorta like a unicorn-only version of Freaky Knowledge but limited to magical casting and hurts your casting skills in what you don't choose to be good in... And yes Casting Magic is something that is only possible with It's Witchcraft, I don't intend this to change that. But at the same time it seemed dumb to me to have It's Witchcraft to be a Prerequisite to take having a Broken Horn... But really this talent wouldn't have much power without taking It's Witchcraft along with it.

Ah I see but you put down this This talent does NOT effect a pony's Ponykinesis or any other Unicorn Utility Talents so it would have no effect on witchcraft so that then would require some sort of new stuff . ... Idea!

Mystic Specialization

Prerequisite It's Witchcraft

Chose one of the following schools of magic Hermetic (Equivalent Exchange),Enchantment, Divination, Mentalism,Magic Music Transmutation/Alchemy, Evocation(elemental magic), Abjuration, and Wild* you may freely attempt use magic from that school with in reasonable limits such as only being able to see one possible future, mental magic being uneffective on a being with no mind or a strong mind, only being able to control certain amount element at a one time, or taking a large amount of time for everythin else biger things needing higher DCs. All acrana rolls that do not involve that school suffer a -15 penalty.
*Wild magic may attempt to do anything while suffering an penalty of -10 sucess in wild magic can not be controled after casting and will do appropriate damage to the caster such as a third or fourth degree burn from useing a fire spell while drawing on the power of a eldritch being whould cause permanent to the caster's mind.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:32 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Ah I see but you put down this This talent does NOT effect a pony's Ponykinesis or any other Unicorn Utility Talents so it would have no effect on witchcraft so that then would require some sort of new stuff . ... Idea!

Mystic Specialization

Chose one of the following schools of magic Hermetic (Equivalent Exchange),Enchantment, Divination, Mentalism,Magic Music Transmutation/Alchemy, Evocation(elemental magic), Abjuration, and Wild* you may freely attempt use magic from that school with in reasonable limits such as only being able to see one possible future, mental magic being uneffective on a being with no mind or a strong mind, only being able to control certain amount element at a one time, or taking a large amount of time for everythin else biger things needing higher DCs. All acrana rolls that do not involve that school suffer a -15 penalty.
*Wild magic may attempt to do anything while suffering an penalty of -10 sucess in wild magic can not be controled after casting and will do appropriate damage to the caster such as a third or fourth degree burn from useing a fire spell while drawing on the power of a eldritch being whould cause permanent to the caster's mind.
That sound really cool... Like that we both sorta made that one. But... I'd also add Weather Magic in the schools as well. Cause we do know that's cannon magic given that one line by spike in winter-wrap up...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:
tygerburningbright wrote:Ah I see but you put down this This talent does NOT effect a pony's Ponykinesis or any other Unicorn Utility Talents so it would have no effect on witchcraft so that then would require some sort of new stuff . ... Idea!

Mystic Specialization

That sound really cool... Like that we both sorta made that one. But... I'd also add Weather Magic in the schools as well. Cause we do know that's cannon magic given that one line by spike in winter-wrap up...
Weather would normally fall under elemental magic and if done correctly music, hermetic,alchemy and wild.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:54 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Weather would normally fall under elemental magic and if done correctly music, hermetic,alchemy and wild.
Oh yes... Didn't think of it that way... And I don't see any bonus one get's for taking this talent other then getting a drawback to other classes. Unless you mean this lets one do some magic without needing to do skill checks...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Adding schools should be a bit simpler.
Magical School:
Prerequisite: It's Witchcraft
Pick one of the following schools. Gain a bonus when describing your spell in a way that falls under the school of your choice depending on how well the effect is described
Illusion:
Conjuration:
Enchantment:
Divination:
Transmutation:
Evocation:
Abjuration:
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks Logan that helps alot... Now if only I had an idea of how to add a School of Magic right now.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:11 pm

Like what kind? These are the basic D&D ones, if I recall correctly, and honestly adding too many would get confusing. the seven at the moment might even get too confusing unless someone else can do a quick summary.

If I misunderstood you, IGNORE ME.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:14 pm

LoganAura wrote:Like what kind? These are the basic D&D ones, if I recall correctly, and honestly adding too many would get confusing. the seven at the moment might even get too confusing unless someone else can do a quick summary.

If I misunderstood you, IGNORE ME.
I think more the fact that I'm a Non-D&D player is just an unknown... So yeah to me they're all just names and stuff. Therefore I'm without a real good idea how to help add to what we've got now.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:19 pm

LoganAura wrote:Adding schools should be a bit simpler.
Magical School:
Pick one of the following schools. Gain a bonus when describing your spell in a way that falls under the school of your choice depending on how well the effect is described
Illusion:
Conjuration:
Enchantment:
Divination:
Transmutation:
Evocation:
Abjuration:

It seems pretty simple to me, but I've also played DnD for over 10 years now. However, I wonder if this can't be already covered with freaky knowledge in one of these particular fields such as: freaky knowledge: illusion magic. Or is that still too broad a category for freaky knowledge?

Also, I'd prefer for a player's choice in specialization to not create penalties for other areas of magic. But that's my two cents on the matter.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:26 pm

This little topic did sorta snowball out of control from me just trying to think up a Good Utility Talent for a Unicorn with a Broken Horn... Why don't we got back to that? Any suggestions on how to improve that? Other then adding maybe a bit about how it ties into It's Witchcraft... >.>
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:40 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:This little topic did sorta snowball out of control from me just trying to think up a Good Utility Talent for a Unicorn with a Broken Horn... Why don't we got back to that? Any suggestions on how to improve that? Other then adding maybe a bit about how it ties into It's Witchcraft... >.>

As for the whole broken horn thing. Well, I'm not entirely bought on talents the give a bonus while giving a penalty, as they generally lead to stacking and a large imbalance. It really opens the doors for min-maxers. Maybe if we can find some way to give a new approach to magic that doesn't hinder other magic abilities. That way it opens the build to many different types of characters.

Of course I might not have the popular opinion on this subject, as I felt one of the greatest downfalls of 3rd edition of DnD was the min-maxing between races and different feats that tended to occur.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:51 pm

While I don't think I did it, my intent was for it to be a more self-contained flaw... Given that is what a Broken Horn Should be built like... So any advice on how to better a Broken Horn Skill would be welcomed.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:18 am

Broken Horn: 1/session Magic Interrupt
Trigger: After using a Utility Talent, the effect is a fail.
Effect: Treat the effect as a success.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:20 am

LoganAura wrote:Broken Horn: 1/session Magic Interrupt
I really like that, it's short sweet and cool. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 am

I was under the impression that when using a Utility Talent, you don't normally need to roll. The only time I can think of is with "Its Witchcraft", which mean the above still works, but it might be good to specify that.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:04 am

Cardbo wrote:

I was under the impression that when using a Utility Talent, you don't normally need to roll. The only time I can think of is with "Its Witchcraft", which mean the above still works, but it might be good to specify that.

There are things like Yee-Haw, The Stare, Medicinal Training, etc and a few other things that give bonuses. It's meant for when the DC is Massively high so even a +38 wouldn't succeed. (10 +5 freaky knowledge +3 training +20 from Utility).

I got the idea when I thought back to when the DC for getting somepony to say the name of an artifact appeared to be 50+ in Shep's session.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:03 pm

While it'd be very unlikely... I think maybe adding a line saying that it can't be used for nat 1's or derps would be a good idea for that Broken Horn talent. Or like having the roll has to be 15+ and still be a fail in order to be used?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:02 pm

this is what happens when I go away for one day an eitire page of back log.
Xel Unknown wrote:
tygerburningbright wrote:Weather would normally fall under elemental magic and if done correctly music, hermetic,alchemy and wild.
Oh yes... Didn't think of it that way... And I don't see any bonus one get's for taking this talent other then getting a drawback to other classes. Unless you mean this lets one do some magic without needing to do skill checks...
My intention was to have a talent that goes beyond what witchcraft can do reliably. Like with Witchraft you can reliably light a candle or illuminate a small dark room with this talent you can reliably invoke a ball or fire large enough to burn down a house or enchant a rock into a permanent floodlight.

LoganAura wrote:Adding schools should be a bit simpler.
Magical School:
Illusion:
Conjuration:
Enchantment:
Divination:
Transmutation:
Evocation:
Abjuration:

I changed around the schools a bit because conjuration is a combat type Illusion is a talent already and the 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th changes in the schools to make enchantment into mindcontrol Transmutation into what most would think is enchantment Divination being changed into just scrying and necromancy has been confusing from 1st edition on.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:12 am

Self-Levitation
Prequisites: Advanced Ponykinesis
You may fly with poor maneuverability. (While flying, you take a -10 penalty to Athletics and Precision checks.)
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next