Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AProcrastinatingWriter's Trait Ideas

4 posters

Go down

AProcrastinatingWriter's Trait Ideas Empty AProcrastinatingWriter's Trait Ideas

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Upon the advice of our magnanimous moderator Stairc, I have created a topic unto itself for my specific trait ideas. The majority of these ideas shall be posted as I come up with them and then edited into this post, along with any balance alterations I may make regards them. Sexily.

Nice Hat
You begin each battle with 1 additional PiP.

Keen Eye
When you are blinded, you flip two coins instead of one to check if you hit. You only miss if you guess wrong on both.

You Guys Go on Ahead!
You take a permanent -2 penalty to your initiative. When you are present at the beginning of a battle, all your allies gain a +3 to their initiative.

Enduring Spirit
Once per battle, if your HP drops to or below zero by ongoing damage or you are knocked unconscious while stunned you instantly gain 1d10 HP + 1d4 temporary HP. If you are knocked out by ongoing damage while stunned, you automatically gain 30 HP + 5 temporary HP.
Note: it has been pointed out that 30HP + 5 temporary HP is a really powerful effect. I am aware of this, and was aware of this when I wrote this trait. However, my counterargument is simply as follows: the power of its effect is supposed to be equal to the unlikeliness of the event that causes it. What are the odds of being knocked out by ongoing damage while stunned?

Attack Mode
You may choose whether or not this trait is active when you go into battle. While this trait is active, all your attacks do 1d4 extra damage. However, every time you are damaged you you also receive 1d4 extra damage.

Defense Mode
You may choose whether or not this trait is active when you go into battle. While this trait is active, all damage you take is reduced 1d4. However, all your attacks also have their damage decreased by 1d4.
Note: At least one person is not fond of the concept being a 1d4 dice roll each time, and I can see that. So, what does everyone else think: keep it like it is now, change it to a fixed amount of damage, or change it to a fixed amount of damage given and taken dependent on a single 1d4 rolled at the beginning of battle?

Lightning Rod
Whenever you are dealt damage by an attack that includes other creatures, all other creatures take 2 less damage and you take an additional point of damage.

[[Original version of Lightning Rod:]]
Spoiler:

Save your Energy 2/battle Reaction
Trigger: You use an attack that ends up doing no damage.
Effect: Regain the PiPs you used in making that attack. If you did not spend any PiPs on making that attack, gain a PiP.

LET'S DO THIS
You always go first in the initiative order. You take 1d8 damage at the beginning of the battle, before anyone takes a turn.

Crabwalk
You cannot be targeted by combat talents that target randomly.
Note: It has been pointed out this is a powerful effect. That's true, and I was going to counterargue that anything beneficial that targets randomly would also be unable to target you, and then I realized that basically nothing beneficial is assigned randomly in this game. So yeah, this needs improving...but how?

Nice-Smelling
When you heal your allies, you heal an extra 2 damage.

Take a Break
Once per battle, you may remove yourself from battle. While out of battle, you cannot be targeted by combat talents, nor use any of your own except to fizzle them for the PiPs. After one full round, you return to battle at the same place in the initiative order and gain 1d10 HP.

Last Chance Once/Battle Reaction
Trigger: You are knocked unconscious by an attack.
Effect: You automatically gain 1 temporary HP. You cannot be targeted by an attack until your next turn.
Question: Can temporary HP revive you from unconsciousness? The rulebook doesn't mention one way or the other, which would seem to indicate the answer is "Yes" but at least one person thinks the answer is "No".

NEW IDEAS BELOW THIS IMAGINARY LINE

I Can See You
At the beginning of each battle, you are aware of what traits one opponent of your choice has.

I Can See You Too
Prequisite: I Can See You
At the beginning of each battle, you are made aware of what traits all of your opponents currently participating in battle have.

Boast Buster
Prequisite: I Can See You Too
By spending one Magic Point at the beginning of battle, you may nullify one of one of your opponent's traits.

Ready to Roll
You gain +2 to your initiative and 2 temporary HP at the start of every battle.

Boisterous
Whenever you would grant one of your allies one or more PiP(s) for any reason, you grant an extra PiP.

Working up an Immunity
You start each battle with 1d4 ongoing damage. It is not possible to save from this effect, no matter the circumstances.

Immunity
Prequisite: Working up an Immunity
You cannot take ongoing damage from any source, including from the effect of "Working up an Immunity".

Diplomatic Immunity
Prequisite: Immunity
Whenever you would suffer from ongoing damage, you are considered to have Regeneration equal to that amount of damage instead. This extends to the effect of "Working up an Immunity".

...that's all I've got for now. Suggestions? I probably need them. Especially names, this newest batch of names didn't feel quite as...catchy. Neutral

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

AProcrastinatingWriter's Trait Ideas Empty Re: AProcrastinatingWriter's Trait Ideas

Post  Philadelphus Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm mainly going to comment on the ones I really like or feel could be improved, if I don't comment on it it just means that I think it's good enough to work but not quite good enough to warrant mention.
AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Nice Hat
You begin each battle with 1 additional PiP.
I like this one, I think it's a good idea and should definitely be in the game.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Enduring Spirit
Once per battle, if your HP drops to or below zero by ongoing damage or you are knocked unconscious while stunned you instantly gain 1d10 HP + 1d4 temporary HP. If you are knocked out by ongoing damage while stunned, you automatically gain 30 HP + 5 temporary HP.
30 HP + 5 temporary HP seems really, really powerful. I mean, you're instantly back at full health with temporary HP to boot. Maybe just make it 3d10 HP + 5 temporary?

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Attack Mode
You may choose whether or not this trait is active when you go into battle. While this trait is active, all your attacks do 1d4 extra damage. However, every time you are damaged you you also receive 1d4 extra damage.

Defense Mode
You may choose whether or not this trait is active when you go into battle. While this trait is active, all damage you take is reduced 1d4. However, all your attacks also have their damage decreased by 1d4.
These are definitely an interesting idea. Maybe make it a fixed amount rather than a die roll, so that people don't have attach an extra die roll to everything they do. It could work as stands, though.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Lightning Rod Once per Battle Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: An enemy uses an attack that targets more than one of you and your allies.
Effect: Negate the attack and gain 2 PiPs.
Negating the attack entirely and gaining 2 PiPs seems a bit powerful. Maybe just make it so that only you take damage from the attack?

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Save your Energy 2/battle Reaction
Effect: Regain the PiPs you used in making that attack. If you did not spend any PiPs on making that attack, gain a PiP.
Interesting idea. Does this work on save-ends inducing attacks that do no damage? In essence, you'd get two free stuns/blinds/weakens/whatevers per battle. Or is it only supposed to work on attacks that have potential to do damage, but don't because of resistance/you being blinded and missing/etc.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Crabwalk
Interesting. Might be a tad overpowered, actually, as those are usually the most powerful attacks, but it could work. Maybe call it Randomwalk?

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Take a Break
Once per battle, you may remove yourself from battle. While out of battle, you cannot be targeted by combat talents, nor use any of your own except to fizzle them for the PiPs. After one full round, you return to battle at the same place in the initiative order and gain 1d10 HP.
A very interesting idea. I'll have to think about it some more before passing judgment.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Last Chance Once/Battle Reaction
Effect: You automatically gain 1 temporary HP. You cannot be targeted by an attack until your next turn.
Doesn't seem all that useful as a reaction. 1 temporary HP doesn't really mean anything when you're unconscious. Not being able to be targeted (does that include random-targeting attacks?) could be slightly useful if the GM's being a jerk and trying to kill your character off. It might be interesting if it gave you back, say, 5 HP after a 1-turn delay.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

AProcrastinatingWriter's Trait Ideas Empty Re: AProcrastinatingWriter's Trait Ideas

Post  SilentBelle Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:30 pm

I agree with most of what Philadelphus said, except I have my own take on Lightning Rod

How about:
Lightning Rod Whenever you are dealt damage by an attack that includes other creatures, all other creatures take 2 less damage and you take an additional point of damage.

Something like that maybe. (I always loved passive traits more than the 1/battle type, though that's a personal preference.)

I like the ideas; they're better than what I can come up with Razz
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 pm

SilentBelle wrote:I agree with most of what Philadelphus said, except I have my own take on Lightning Rod

How about:
Lightning Rod Whenever you are dealt damage by an attack that includes other creatures, all other creatures take 2 less damage and you take an additional point of damage.

I like this and I'll edit it in + change some of the others due to advice later, when I don't feel stomach-buggy.

Not exactly a ton of effort, but more than I want to produce when stomach-buggy.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Esoterus Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Philadelphus wrote:
AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Save your Energy 2/battle Reaction
Interesting idea. Does this work on save-ends inducing attacks that do no damage? In essence, you'd get two free stuns/blinds/weakens/whatevers per battle. Or is it only supposed to work on attacks that have potential to do damage, but don't because of resistance/you being blinded and missing/etc.
The rules define an attack as a combat talent that deals damage immediately, and explicitly excludes status-only talents. So yeah, it would only trigger in cases of resistance or blind or whatever.
Esoterus
Esoterus
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Posted some notes and barely any alterations to old Traits, added in some new.

This post is mainly to let you know that yes, this has updated. Assuming you care. Razz
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:38 am

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Enduring Spirit
Note: it has been pointed out that 30HP + 5 temporary HP is a really powerful effect. I am aware of this, and was aware of this when I wrote this trait. However, my counterargument is simply as follows: the power of its effect is supposed to be equal to the unlikeliness of the event that causes it. What are the odds of being knocked out by ongoing damage while stunned?
Fair enough, I suppose.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Attack Mode

Defense Mode
Note: At least one person is not fond of the concept being a 1d4 dice roll each time, and I can see that. So, what does everyone else think: keep it like it is now, change it to a fixed amount of damage, or change it to a fixed amount of damage given and taken dependent on a single 1d4 rolled at the beginning of battle?
Now that I think about it, Defense Mode is basically giving you Resist, right? So it would probably be more powerful than Attack Mode in general. My personal opinion would be to make both of them +1 or +2. Duelist provides +3 damage to all attacks made against a single target, and since Attack Mode works on all attacks it probably shouldn't be any more powerful. Having one die roll at the beginning of a fight could work too, as it could go either good or bad.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Crabwalk
Note: It has been pointed out this is a powerful effect. That's true, and I was going to counterargue that anything beneficial that targets randomly would also be unable to target you, and then I realized that basically nothing beneficial is assigned randomly in this game. So yeah, this needs improving...but how?
Maybe make it a coin flip every time you're targeted by a random attack? So you have only a 50% chance of taking damage from it. Even more randomness! Razz

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Last Chance Once/Battle Reaction
Question: Can temporary HP revive you from unconsciousness? The rulebook doesn't mention one way or the other, which would seem to indicate the answer is "Yes" but at least one person thinks the answer is "No".
I'm fairly sure (though I could be wrong) that temporary HP only work like a sort of shield, absorbing damage but not actually counting as HP for the purposes of being revived. An official ruling would be nice.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Boast Buster
Prequisite: I Can See You Too
By spending one Magic Point at the beginning of battle, you may nullify one of one of your opponent's traits.
The only problem I can see with this one is that it could potentially break certain monsters completely, but it does require level 5 at least, so...

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Ready to Roll
You gain +2 to your initiative and 2 temporary HP at the start of every battle.

Boisterous
Whenever you would grant one of your allies one or more PiP(s) for any reason, you grant an extra PiP.
These are nice, I like these.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Working up an Immunity
You start each battle with 1d4 ongoing damage. It is not possible to save from this effect, no matter the circumstances.

Immunity
Prequisite: Working up an Immunity
You cannot take ongoing damage from any source, including from the effect of "Working up an Immunity".

Diplomatic Immunity
Prequisite: Immunity
Whenever you would suffer from ongoing damage, you are considered to have Regeneration equal to that amount of damage instead. This extends to the effect of "Working up an Immunity".
Hmm...an interesting idea. Not sure if it's balanced or not. Having to take the first one definitely makes it difficult at first, but the free, constant, un-removable regeneration of the last tier (available by level 5) seems a bit strong. I'll have to think about this some more.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down