Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pegasus talents

+11
Jason Shadow
Philadelphus
AlicornPriest
Flutterknight
Stairc -Dan Felder
The Warrior of Many Faces
Prof. Charles Hoofington
SimpleZen
Zarhon
Videocrazy
Masterweaver
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pegasus talents - Page 2 Empty Re: Pegasus talents

Post  Videocrazy Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:12 am

Okay, reworkimg weather touched.

Weather touched
When ever the appropriate weather condition is present you gain one of the following ablities:

Snowing- cold ice runs through your veins and breath. by spending a magic point, you gain the ablity to breath snow and ice onto up to 5 characters, causing them to become immobile for 10 minutes.

Windy- your wings contain the power of an untamed gale. by spending a magic point, you gain the ablity to flap your wings hard enough to knock over anything and any one in front of you and send it flying for [10 feet]- is this distance appropriate?

Sunny- your heart is fuled by the warmth of the sun. by spending a magic point, you gain the ablity to emit warm sunlight for 10 minutes as a soft glow. In addition, you may create a burst of light, ending the effect but blinding all nearby creatures.

Rainy- Just as rain washes away dirt and mud, so too does it wash away idle thoughts. by spending a magic point, you gain the abllity to reroll any skill check made in the next 10 minutes.

Fog- your body takes on the gasesous form of fog. By spending a magic point, you may pass though phisycal objects like doors, tables and other ponies for the next 10 minutes.

Thunder and lightning- you strike with the strength of thunder and the speed of lightning. By spending a magic point, you gain the ablity to punch and kick through solid steel for the next 10 minutes.

How are these? Too weak? Too strong? Too unbalanced? I have to admit i was just following the rule of cool here.

Aren't most of these rather expensive for the cost of a magic point?

- Creatures touched will have their manes, tails and coat become "poofed", become twitchy (Preventing flying or running), and are unable to let go of any objects they were holding at the time.

Does being "poofed" do anything? If the pony is holding an object that forces it to be dropped by its holder, or encounter some other situation where an item is yanked away, does the pony lose their grip?

Spicy surprise- At will
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Duration: 30 mins after application
You can "obtain" a jar of liquid rainbows. The substance causes can temporarily blind somepony for 2 minutes if applied to the eyes. If eaten, forces ponies to abandon anything they were doing to throw themselves into the nearest water source, quenching the raging inferno on their taste buds. This liquid rainbows can be poured onto clouds to cause them change color, blind and cause ponies caught within it to look for water, or to make it rain rainbow juice (50-50 chance of blinding or making those caught seek water). The liquid rainbows can also be used to change color of objects, or someponys mane, tail or coat. The jar of liquid rainbows can be thrown to make it spill onto something.

How much do they regard safety when seeking water? If the nearest source is 100 feet straight down, off a cliff in a pool, will they jump straight off to access it?

Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 am

Videocrazy wrote:Does being "poofed" do anything? If the pony is holding an object that forces it to be dropped by its holder, or encounter some other situation where an item is yanked away, does the pony lose their grip?

How much do they regard safety when seeking water? If the nearest source is 100 feet straight down, off a cliff in a pool, will they jump straight off to access it?

1) Hmm. Being "poofed" would probably make them look incredibly silly (-10 Persuasion penalty) and make the hair too clunky to do certain tasks (-5 Stunts/Acrobatics), until they can properly re-fashion their hair (10 minutes of brushie brushie, with assistance). They could have objects yanked/knocked away from them, but other ponies attempting to take an object from them without proper insulation would get "poofed" as a result (but otherwise, no other effects).

2) They will seek any type of refreshing, non-toxic drink, actually, not just water. They'll attempt to reach it within reason: Something that wouldn't hurt or kill them (but it can inconvenience them: Jumping off a cliff into a pool, or into a deep well wouldn't hurt them due to cartoon physics, but they'd have trouble getting out afterwards). Pegasi can employ / conjure up rainclouds as a source of water, earth ponies/unicorns may attempt to dig up a well. If they cant find anything, they'll just run around like a maniac for about 5-10 minutes. Others can take advantage of this by offering them "special" drinks (e.g. lemonade with poison joke). :p

Last edited by Zarhon on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Videocrazy wrote:
Okay, reworkimg weather touched.

Weather touched
When ever the appropriate weather condition is present you gain one of the following ablities:

Snowing- cold ice runs through your veins and breath. by spending a magic point, you gain the ablity to breath snow and ice onto up to 5 characters, causing them to become immobile for 10 minutes.

Windy- your wings contain the power of an untamed gale. by spending a magic point, you gain the ablity to flap your wings hard enough to knock over anything and any one in front of you and send it flying for [10 feet]- is this distance appropriate?

Sunny- your heart is fuled by the warmth of the sun. by spending a magic point, you gain the ablity to emit warm sunlight for 10 minutes as a soft glow. In addition, you may create a burst of light, ending the effect but blinding all nearby creatures.

Rainy- Just as rain washes away dirt and mud, so too does it wash away idle thoughts. by spending a magic point, you gain the abllity to reroll any skill check made in the next 10 minutes.

Fog- your body takes on the gasesous form of fog. By spending a magic point, you may pass though phisycal objects like doors, tables and other ponies for the next 10 minutes.

Thunder and lightning- you strike with the strength of thunder and the speed of lightning. By spending a magic point, you gain the ablity to punch and kick through solid steel for the next 10 minutes.

How are these? Too weak? Too strong? Too unbalanced? I have to admit i was just following the rule of cool here.

Aren't most of these rather expensive for the cost of a magic point?

i have no idea. There just innitial concepts. If anyone has anything to say on them, i would love to hear it so i can alter them to be more balanced and useful/fun.
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Hoofington's Weathercrafting-turned-useful concepts are brilliant ways to expand the Pegasus options. They should definitely be developed further.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Hoofington's Weathercrafting-turned-useful concepts are brilliant ways to expand the Pegasus options. They should definitely be developed further.
Thanks man.

Been reviewing the weather touched talent, and i feel the sunny option falls short. I also feel we need a rainbow version. I cant seem to think of any other appropriate weather conditions, so that will properbly be it. Unless someone else can think of some. I also belive that the other weather ablities can be better, but i can not work out how. Which is getting a little bit frustrating. Although i could just be a little bit of a perfectionist here.

I want to do something with fire for the sunny one, but that could have combat/damage applications unless i make it ultra-wordy. Any one have any better ideas? Other than glowing of course.

Anyway, came up with something for rainbow:

Rainbow- by spending a magic point, up to five allies may choose to reroll their next cutie-mark skill test. EDIT- If a reroll results in a Cutie-Mark Critical Success that pony may gain a magic point. (i feel this is blanaced as it is only the reroll that grants the magic point, and if you have already passed the check you run the risk of failing it mearly to satisfy to your greed.)

This is based off dash's rainboom that caused the mane 6 to gain there CM, because if you think about it, they each failed at there task. Twi failed to cast the spell, pinkie failed to have fun, rarity failed to understand her destiny, applejack failed at life on the farm and fluttershy failed to connect fully wth the animals (or so i recollect from the episode), but then the rainbow hit them and they not only rerolled, but got a CMCS. Dash had already won the race by this point, so she dosnt recieve the reroll.
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:27 pm

1) Hmm. Being "poofed" would probably make them look incredibly silly (-10 Persuasion penalty) and make the hair too clunky to do certain tasks (-5 Stunts/Acrobatics), until they can properly re-fashion their hair (10 minutes of brushie brushie, with assistance). They could have objects yanked/knocked away from them, but other ponies attempting to take an object from them without proper isolation would get "poofed" as a result (but otherwise, no other effects).

I assume you meant "insulation"? There's a world of difference.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:33 am

Videocrazy wrote:I assume you meant "insulation"? There's a world of difference.

Pegasus talents - Page 2 D644c549973cbd6906b05b501263bbcf
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Shadow Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:06 pm

I watched Serenity last night.

Leaf on the Wind
Prerequisite: Flying Ace
You are a leaf on the wind; watch how you soar. Outside of combat, you can never be hit by falling or thrown objects of any size, so long as you in flight.
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:03 am

Agh, so much stuff! I'll never be able to review it all! That being the case, I'll try to go for the stuff that hasn't been reviewed as extensively, starting with Bifrost Bridge, because I likeses my Norse mythos as well. I like Bridge a lot, a simple talent with a number of uses. Nice work! Smile

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Razor Wings - Magic
Preparation Time: 30 seconds
As a Pegasus your wings were made to fight thunder storms, devastate hurricanes, and wrestle tornadoes. What's some flimsy steel to that? For the next ten minutes your wings can cut through any solid object from dirt to diamonds (effectively gaining +40 to stunt checks involving such actions). You can also slash through magical enchantments, letting you make stunts or acrobatics checks in place of arcana checks to attempt to dispel magical effects (this application does not benefit from the above-mentioned +40 bonus). Using Razor Wings requires complete concentration as you aim for the perfect angle on your target, thus it cannot be used as an attack.

Also, another Pegasus concept...

Thundercrash - Daily
For the next five minutes, the range of your weathercrafting ability expands to a one mile radius.

Not sold on the name, but I feel like it's a relevant ability - especially if atmospheric skills start kicking in. I'd like to develop Prof. Charles' ideas to the point where a weather-focused pegasus is a viable and cool option.

I approve of the refined Razor Wings! Looks fun! As for Thundercrash, I don't think names are too important, since they can be changed. As for the talent itself, nice and balanced. Not much more to say here.

Prof. Charles Hoofington wrote:Okay, reworkimg weather touched.

Weather touched

Actually, for a magic point, these seem a little weak, except maybe lightning. Not horribly so, but I personally wouldn't spend a point on these.

Zarhon wrote:Static charge - Daily
Duration of charge: 10 mins, 30 mins (thunderstorm)
Duration of discharge effect: 4min (split evenly), 8 min (thunderstorm)
You quickly grab a cloud and rub your body onto it, generating an accumulation of static electricity within your coat and hooves. Touching an object or creature will discharge the electricity into it, dealing various effects.
- Creatures touched will have their manes, tails and coat become "poofed", become twitchy (Preventing flying or running), and are unable to let go of any objects they were holding at the time.
- Creatures flying while this is in effect crash to the ground, but can steer themselves and attempt to reduce the damage (stunts/endurance DC).
- Touching metallic materials spreads the charge to all other creatures touching it, splitting its duration evenly amongst all affected targets (4 ponies = 1 min shocked each).
- Touching a magical or electrical object/machine lets the player activate it, deactivate it, or cause it to randomly malfunction.
If there is a thunderstorm in effect when you use this talent, its charge and duration is doubled, allowing you to knock out creatures of same or smaller size, for double the duration. Touching magical or electrical objects and mechanisms will cause them to break.

Cloud decoy - Daily
Preparation time: 5 minutes
You craft a decoy of a pegasus pony using a cloud and some rainbow juice. The cloud vanishes when attacked in any way and is affected by other atmospheric condtions (like storms, blowing wind...). Those seeing it from afar (further than 50 yards) mistake it for the pony it is imitating and cannot discern it as a decoy. Those within 50 yards make a DC25 check, or a DC15 check if within 10 yards to discern its identity. The decoy floats without motion, unless magic is used to steer it and make it animate its limbs and wings (This adds +5 to the disguise check).

Cloud accessories
Preparation time: 1 minute
Duration: 10 minutes
You can create small "clothing" objects, minor objects, or accessories out of clouds, usable by other ponies and yourself. They can hold light objects under 10lbs. Objects you can make include: Fake beards, wigs, cloaks, slippers, moustaches, baskets, bowls, saddlebags, pillows, blankets, cushions, brushes/quills... Any such object vanishes when damaged or under powerful atmospheric conditions. You can have as many accessories as you want. DM can trump any accessory.

Cloud cover - Daily
Duration: 10 minutes
Size: 5x5 meters
Preparation time: 5 minutes
You can temporarily stiffen a cloud to act as a semi-solid, elastic obstacle. Pegasi flying directly into this cloud at high speed become stuck in it, unable to move until its duration ends, and can be moved along with the cloud. Otherwise, they are bounced away in rebound. Blunt objects bounce off it, as though it is made of rubber, while sharp objects can pierce through it. Liquids are absorbed by the cloud, and are ejected all at once when its duration ends, or it is bucked, causing the liquid to rain from the cloud. Others cannot tell it apart from regular clouds. Shape of the cloud is determined by player.

Soggy cloud - 2/day
Duration: 5 minutes
You pick a cloud from high up and force it to absorb so much water, it barely floats. You can then activate this cloud to cause it to plummet straight to the ground. When it crashes, it soaks everything within 40 yards with water, and traps any ponies the cloud drops directly onto for its duration. Cloud is big enough to capture 6 ponies at once. The cloud looks like a normal raincloud when observed from a distance.

Spicy surprise- At will
Duration: 30 mins after application
You can "obtain" a jar of liquid rainbows. The substance causes can temporarily blind somepony for 2 minutes if applied to the eyes. If eaten, forces ponies to abandon anything they were doing to throw themselves into the nearest water source, quenching the raging inferno on their taste buds. This liquid rainbows can be poured onto clouds to cause them change color, blind and cause ponies caught within it to look for water, or to make it rain rainbow juice (50-50 chance of blinding or making those caught seek water). The liquid rainbows can also be used to change color of objects, or someponys mane, tail or coat. The jar of liquid rainbows can be thrown to make it spill onto something.

Static Charge has too many effects, in my opinion, although the basics are sound. The cloud talents, on the other hand, I love, especially Cloud Decoy. Very Happy Spicy Surprise is an interesting idea, though not as much as the clouds. Almost worthy of Pinkie, if it weren't for the fact that only pegasi can get rainbows with any effectiveness.

Jason Shadow wrote:Leaf on the Wind
Prerequisite: Flying Ace
You are a leaf on the wind; watch how you soar. Outside of combat, you can never be hit by falling or thrown objects of any size, so long as you in flight.

Simple, but effective and flavorful. I love this one! Very Happy
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  SimpleZen Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Weather touched

I think I've spent a week pondering how to improve this talent, and i think I've found it. My two favorite talents on this list are Snowing and Fog. There unquestioningably the best talents on this list, and thats for two reasons. The first reason is that unlike windy, rainy, thunder/lighting and sunny these talents feel more like they were inspired by the weather there named after, and not based around. The second reason is the one thats been evading me. There weather phenomenon of there own. Windy,rainy, and thunder/lighting are to me far more parts of a storm and not full fledged weather. Sunny on the other hand is just sort of not that good.

My suggestion would be to limit the weather to semi-extremes

-blizzard
-thick fog
-storming
-Sweltering
-Rainbows(under the usumption that rainbows are special weather phenomonom that are very hard to produce)

I'd rather like some feedback on this direction before taking it any further. So people balls in your court
SimpleZen
SimpleZen
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 pm

SimpleZen wrote:

Weather touched

I think I've spent a week pondering how to improve this talent, and i think I've found it. My two favorite talents on this list are Snowing and Fog. There unquestioningably the best talents on this list, and thats for two reasons. The first reason is that unlike windy, rainy, thunder/lighting and sunny these talents feel more like they were inspired by the weather there named after, and not based around. The second reason is the one thats been evading me. There weather phenomenon of there own. Windy,rainy, and thunder/lighting are to me far more parts of a storm and not full fledged weather. Sunny on the other hand is just sort of not that good.

-blizzard
-thick fog
-storming
-Sweltering
-Rainbows(under the usumption that rainbows are special weather phenomonom that are very hard to produce)

I'd rather like some feedback on this direction before taking it any further. So people balls in your court

It certainly will provide more flavour for this talent. But how about Seperating Storming into:
-Thunderstorm
-Hurricane

So let's start trying to put Magic Point equivalent effects to each:

Blizzard can stay as a freeze. Though it might make sense to turn it down to 1 minute for your quick get-away when you botch your stealth check.

Thick Fog can stay as Phasing for 10 minutes.

Thunderstorm - Magic
You take on the form of a lightning bolt and teleport directly onto a nearby surface (I'm thinking of a lightning strike flavour here)

Hurricane - Magic
With a flap of your wings, you send out gale-force winds that push all creatures within 100 feet of you, 20 feet back. (DC 35 stunts, acrobatics, or endurance to resist being pushed? Maybe)

Sweltering - Magic
You take on a mantle of fire feathers for the next 10 minutes, during which you can ignite flammable objects by touching them for more than 10 seconds, you can melt ice by going near it, and you cast 50 feet of light to see by. (It's hard to think of heat moves that would be beneficial outside of combat)

Rainbow - Magic
You turn invisible for one minute (I'm not sure about this one)

So there you go *Hit's ball out of court*. That's my first swing at this talent.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 pm

SilentBelle wrote:
SimpleZen wrote:

Weather touched

-blizzard
-thick fog
-storming
-Sweltering

It certainly will provide more flavour for this talent. But how about Seperating Storming into:
-Thunderstorm
-Hurricane

So let's start trying to put Magic Point equivalent effects to each:

Blizzard can stay as a freeze. Though it might make sense to turn it down to 1 minute for your quick get-away when you botch your stealth check.

Thick Fog can stay as Phasing for 10 minutes.

Thunderstorm - Magic
You take on the form of a lightning bolt and teleport directly onto a nearby surface (I'm thinking of a lightning strike flavour here)

Hurricane - Magic
With a flap of your wings, you send out gale-force winds that push all creatures within 100 feet of you, 20 feet back. (DC 35 stunts, acrobatics, or endurance to resist being pushed? Maybe)

Sweltering - Magic
You take on a mantle of fire feathers for the next 10 minutes, during which you can ignite flammable objects by touching them for more than 10 seconds, you can melt ice by going near it, and you cast 50 feet of light to see by. (It's hard to think of heat moves that would be beneficial outside of combat)

Rainbow - Magic
You turn invisible for one minute (I'm not sure about this one)

So there you go *Hit's ball out of court*. That's my first swing at this talent.

Most of these looks pretty good, actually, except for the rainbow; the idea of invisibility for a rainbow seems counterintuitive to me. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a better idea, though. Maybe something dazzling? Like a big distraction for a crowd?
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:26 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:
Most of these looks pretty good, actually, except for the rainbow; the idea of invisibility for a rainbow seems counterintuitive to me. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a better idea, though. Maybe something dazzling? Like a big distraction for a crowd?

Well, it was just off the top of my head. How about, creating an illusion of yourself while turning invisible for a minute. Either that or something distracting that catches they eye. I only wrote that idea as a place holder.

As a poet, the word 'rainbow' quickly brings forth a pallet of other words in my mind: Colour, refraction, reflection, rain, sun, fleeting, happiness, awe and luck. To name a few.

I think the ability should definitely have flavour that plays to those words that spring to mind.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:30 pm

SilentBelle wrote:
The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:

Well, it was just off the top of my head. How about, creating an illusion of yourself while turning invisible for a minute. Either that or something distracting that catches they eye. I only wrote that idea as a place holder.

As a poet, the word 'rainbow' quickly brings forth a pallet of other words in my mind: Colour, refraction, reflection, rain, sun, fleeting, happiness, awe and luck. To name a few.

I think the ability should definitely have flavour that plays to those words that spring to mind.

Hmm, luck... maybe a lucky bonus for the next several rolls? Or maybe a rainbow-y aura that gives you a bonus to Persuasion rolls to a while. I dunno, like you, I'm just throwing out random possibilities.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:49 pm

SimpleZen, great thoughts! This is a talent concept I really want to see work.

How about this to make it even snazzier? Is there a way to give everyone in this specific weather-crafted area the benefits? Like, the weather you craft means something to the people in it - not just you. Or is that what you already have in mind?

Looking forward to seeing this developed further. Utility Talent handbook is coming after I finish the level-up system.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 pm

I wish I had time to read all of these and contribute. Maybe I will later.

Being the only Pegasus in my group, I have to constantly balance being undeniably awesome-r than everypony else with the level of underpowered-ness that comes with a major lack of options. Two Sonic Rainboom-esque crits aside, I don't feel like I'm able to contribute as much as the unicorns (or be capable enough to stand up to them, if the need arises. Which it has). So in short, looking forward to a whole new world of Pegasus dominance with these new talents.

Also, I already pulled Razor Wings. +40 to cut something? Yes please.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  SimpleZen Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Spoiler:

First of all thank you for all the responses, i will admit that i thought the topic slightly dead and i was just beating a dead horse.

Onto the re-flavoring/split of my ill worded "storming", I'm of the mind that it is definitely a step in the right direction, my only issue is "hurricane". While I'm not completely closed to that particular form of weather being in the utility i sorta feel that hurricanes are just bigger versions of thunder storms. While i know that it isn't technically accurate, from an idea/flavor perspective it just doesn't work for me. So perhaps a collapsing of the two ideas?

Now to delve into "sweltering". I'll admit i sorta just threw it out there when i was thinking up an alternative to sunny, but its grown on me and I think I've come up with a nifty non-fire related skill for it.

Sweltering - Magic
With the unending power of the sun giving you strength the world has become your plaything, or at least like clouds. By spending a magic point you can give inanimate object(s) the properties of clouds, they becomes as light and mold-able as the real thing. The time it takes to bestow these properties onto an object is determined by the GM, though as a rule of thum the larger it is the longer it takes.

Obviously a rough draft but it has potential. My original thought process went something like: sweltering>hot>fire>embers>smithing>building>cloud-houses>clouds. This train of thought led me to thinking of treating objects like clouds so it will ever hold a place in my heart.

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:SimpleZen, great thoughts! This is a talent concept I really want to see work.

How about this to make it even snazzier? Is there a way to give everyone in this specific weather-crafted area the benefits? Like, the weather you craft means something to the people in it - not just you. Or is that what you already have in mind?

Looking forward to seeing this developed further. Utility Talent handbook is coming after I finish the level-up system.

My interpretation of it has the weather effecting only the Pegasus with the utility talent, though the rainbow weather condition is most definitely going to affect the whole party

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on the matter
SimpleZen
SimpleZen
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:30 am

Well, this thought came to me a while ago during work. Why not get rid of the magic point for these abilities and make them 1/day instead. After all the weather has to be present. As for the hurricane, yeah I see that it's close to thunderstorming. I really was just looking for different elemental flavours of weather. (Y'know like fire, ice, wind, lightning. Just as a nice flashy starting point.)

I like the idea of cloud-crafting too, heck that could be it's own talent right there.

And I'll agree with you, rainbows should indeed affect the whole party.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:53 am

So I was reading the fanfic 'Green' by Steel Resolve and chapter four gave me an idea.

Magneto is Best Pony
By channeling a small amount of lightning energy into their hoof, some pegasi are able to turn their hooves magnetic. You gain the ability to hold metallic objects in your hooves without taking any penalties to any checks, and can avoid dropping those objects unless you want to. You also gain a +2 bonus to Endurance checks to avoid the item being forcibly removed from your hooves.

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:51 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:So I was reading the fanfic 'Green' by Steel Resolve and chapter four gave me an idea.

Magnetic Personality*
By channeling a small amount of lightning energy into their hoof, some pegasi are able to turn their hooves magnetic. You gain the ability to hold metallic objects in your hooves without taking any penalties to any checks, and can avoid dropping those objects unless you want to. You also gain a +2 bonus to Endurance checks to avoid the item being forcibly removed from your hooves.

*I like the ability but can't say I care much for the name. Neutral

Call it "Magneto is Best Pony". XD

Anyway, I do like this one. Nice, flavorful, and useful, without being overly complicated. Very Happy
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 am

SimpleZen wrote:
Spoiler:

wow, totaly missed these comments. been ransacking my brain for ages to try to come up with something awsome. now to figure something out for rainbow. well, first i think we should brake down what a rainbow means in the MLP:FIM world.

it is the signiture of the current element of loyalty, rainbow dash, who is always willing to stand by her friends. so we can associate friendship and loyalty with it, and possibly speed/athletics. therefore it should affect the party, not just the pegasus.
rainbows are awsome. therefore the effect should be awsome. when a pegasus uses the rainbow power, everyone else should go "thats awsome"
rainbows are a mixture of light and water, the sun interacting with the rain. not realy sure where i am going with this one.
rainbows are a liquid so spicy that not even pinke pie can handle it.
when filly-dash first perfomed the rainboom, the mane 6 discovered their cutie-marks, going from a critical failure to a CMCS. however, it is too easy and boring simply to slap a "the next dice roll succceds" or a reroll or something on it.

so, in summary, it needs to boost everypony, be awsome and not a reroll. one idea i have is that each affected pony takes on one of the colours of the rainbow and gains a power related to that colour, but that means coming up with another 7 powers. so lets use that as a back up idea.

and i am out of ideas now.
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Rainbow - 1/day
Trigger: A rainbow must be a present weather condition
You and all your allies gain a +5 to all skill checks for the next ten minutes.

Very rough draft on the rainbow power. Can anyone come up with a more 'rainbowy' bonus than just bonus to skill checks? I feel like it could be more flavourful.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Prof. Charles Hoofington wrote:
so, in summary, it needs to boost everypony, be awsome and not a reroll. one idea i have is that each affected pony takes on one of the colours of the rainbow and gains a power related to that colour, but that means coming up with another 7 powers. so lets use that as a back up idea.

Just to point out, Dash only has six colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) in her mane and tail. Also, the inclusion of indigo to make seven was started by Newton (the first to split white light) who felt that seven was a mystical number and that there should be totally be seven colors in the rainbow, not six. So I guess what I'm saying is that you could get by with only six extra powers. Assuming you go with that idea, of course.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Philadelphus wrote:
Prof. Charles Hoofington wrote:

Just to point out, Dash only has six colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) in her mane and tail. Also, the inclusion of indigo to make seven was started by Newton (the first to split white light) who felt that seven was a mystical number and that there should be totally be seven colors in the rainbow, not six. So I guess what I'm saying is that you could get by with only six extra powers. Assuming you go with that idea, of course.

Not to mention that whether or not there are seven colors in our rainbow, there are only six colors in the world of MLP:FiM, as demonstrated in Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom. Which, I suppose, mystically links in their world to the six Elements of Harmony, but I digress.

Also:

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:Call it "Magneto is Best Pony". XD

yes good perfect
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Which, I suppose, mystically links in their world to the six Elements of Harmony, but I digress.
Hmm, interesting point. Maybe this hypothetical rainbow talent could provide different bonuses to characters depending on what Element of Harmony they are?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next