Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pegasus talents

+11
Jason Shadow
Philadelphus
AlicornPriest
Flutterknight
Stairc -Dan Felder
The Warrior of Many Faces
Prof. Charles Hoofington
SimpleZen
Zarhon
Videocrazy
Masterweaver
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Pegasus talents - Page 3 Empty Re: Pegasus talents

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:16 am

Philadelphus wrote:
AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Which, I suppose, mystically links in their world to the six Elements of Harmony, but I digress.
Hmm, interesting point. Maybe this hypothetical rainbow talent could provide different bonuses to characters depending on what Element of Harmony they are?

I like this idea. Maybe an automatic trigger of their Element? Or perhaps a watered-down version of such. Wait, that won't work because many of them are situational. Maybe a large bonus to a given stat depending on Element? Like Kindness gets a +20 bonus to Persuasion or something. I dunno.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 am

Why not boost their cutie mark skill instead of their element? That fits in with dash's rainboom. But that is a very boring thing to happen, going through all that mearly to get a +X to a skill check. I like the idea of a watered down element power, but i am unsure how to progress on that.
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Prof. Charles Hoofington wrote:Why not boost their cutie mark skill instead of their element? That fits in with dash's rainboom. But that is a very boring thing to happen, going through all that mearly to get a +X to a skill check. I like the idea of a watered down element power, but i am unsure how to progress on that.

Of course, not all players play as ponies, so not everyone has a cutie mark. Though in that case it could just effect a trained skill. I like this idea a lot, as well as the elements.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 am

okay, had some ideas for the rainbow version of weather touched:
rainbow -1/day (maybe a magic point as well?)
trigger- a rainbow must be present
all ponies in the party gain a one use utility power based on their element:

-Loyalty- you become immune to any mind affecting effct for the next [time].
I'll stand by my friends no matter what you say!
-Laughter- for the next [time], you may treat all critical fails as successes and all critical successes as fails.
Woopsie!
-Generosity- for the next [time], all allies gain a +5 to skill checks.
Oh, I insist on helping you
-Honesty- for the next [time], you can tell when anybody lies to you (including the ponyhandler!).
I smell a snake.
-Kindness- for the next [time], no one will attack you regardless of your actions. (allies will still be attacked)
Oh! I'm so sorry.
-Magic- for the next [time], you may double the effect of any utility power you use.
Friendship is magic!

how does this look? in my orginal draft, the [time] was until end of session, but then i realised that a pegasus with the derpy ability and the laughter element could make a rainbow at the start of the session and then benefit from triple crits for the next 2-4 hours. i think that you should gain the power for the rest of the session, but it only lasts 5-10 mins. also, honesty feels a little weak compared to the others.

anyone have any thoughts?
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:35 pm

I like these ideas a lot. I'd like to see them developed further. Particularly the laughter one.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Snaitf Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Prof. Charles Hoofington wrote:
-Laughter- for the next [time], you may treat all critical fails as successes and all critical successes as fails.
Woopsie!
This is a story all about how, my life got flipped, turned upside down.
(if confused, look up Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme)

Okay seriously, I like the idea, maybe 5-10 min. would work.

Snaitf
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:45 pm

just had a thought- with laughter, unless you have the derpy untility, it is essentialy useless as it mearly flips the numbers on the dice around. would it be appropriate to add "you may reroll any result that counts as a fail (critical or otherwise)" to it? or maybe just reroll the critical failures. and maybe for honesty we could add "you gain +X (probably 5) to any skill check that forces any liar to tell the truth".

generosity seems very powerful, espicaly if you stack it with the actual element effect and other utilities. i mean, with the right set of talents you could probably give someone a +30 all by yourself.

also, a clarification on magic, in case it was needed- effect includes durration, range and any other numerical number in its description.
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3