Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minecraft-inspired Monsters

4 posters

Go down

Minecraft-inspired Monsters Empty Minecraft-inspired Monsters

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:21 am

I saw some people taking things from D&D, from the Elder Scrolls, and from other popular games, so I thought I'd toss my copyright infringement into the mix! I renamed them though, but left the inspiration in brackets. Note the "inspired", it isn't an exact copy, or every monster's attack method would be running into the party over and over then dying on contact with sunlight. Smile

---
Dyna Mites (Creepers) [Role: Drawing Fire]
Trait: Camouflage: Any attack targeting a Dyna Mite has a 1/8 chance of dealing 0 damage

10 hp
[+1] Hiss - One target gains Vulnerability 2 (save ends)
[0] Flash - One target is blinded (save ends)
[-2] Bang! - Deals 20 damage to Dyna Mite. Deals 1d10+5 damage to one enemy and 1d6+3 to each adjacent enemy.

Dyna Mites are terribly dangerous pests. Their mating calls and rituals can grate on even the most stoic of ponies, and their method of reproduction is to violently explode, ripping themselves apart in the process, in order to spread their eggs around a wide area. Needless to say, near civilized areas they are ruthlessly exterminated. If threatening their hive or mate, a Dyna Mite can trigger their explosive nature voluntarily to protect them, in a manner that even bees call "a bit on the extreme side".
---
Night Crawlers (Endermen) [Role: Saboteur]
Traits: Sunlight Weakness: If exposed to direct sunlight, gains Vulnerability 5.

20 hp
[+2] Warp Space - Gains Resistance 3 until its next turn
[+1] Feint - Target creature takes 1d6 damage. Roll 1d4, if 4, target is blinded.
[-1] Warp Darkness - Target creature is confused for 1d2 turns
[-4] Crippling Stare - Target creature gains Vulnerability 3 and is stunned (save ends both)

Night crawlers are long, lanky but whip-thin figures made of shadowstuff and residual wild magic from Nightmare Moon's brief reign. They hang around dark caves and the deepest jungles, where not even in mid-day is it fully bright. They are notorious pranksters and tricksters, but if their actions are not appreciated, they can begin to use their tricks for far more hostile purposes. Also, don't make eye contact. Just trust an expert on that one.
---
Giant Spider (Giant Spider) [Role: Commander]
40hp
[+1] Ram - Deals 1d6 damage to one target and one adjacent target.
[-1] Web Runner - One target's initiative is set to be directly below yours in the initiative order.
[-1] Spawn Spiders - Summons 1d4 Cave Spiders (see below).
[-3] Entrap - Stun one enemy currently suffering from a negative status effect (save ends). They gain 3 ongoing damage while stunned.
---
Cave Spider (Mineshaft Spider) [Role: Minion, summon, pest]
1hp
[0] Poison - Target gains 1 ongoing damage (save ends).
[0] Nick - Deals 1d4 damage to target enemy.

The general rule of spiders is "if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. They only eat things the same size as them." Unfortunately, in this case, you ARE the same size as them. And they're hungry. They are born with a poison irritant as a self-defense mechanism, but lose it as they age into their mature growth stage to better preserve their body chemistry for birthing new spiders.
---

Zombie
Traits: Brainless Undead: Immune to confusion and stun.
30hp
[+3] Uuurgh! - The moan is disconcerting, but not exactly dangerous. [no effect]
[-1] Brains! - Deal 1d8+2 damage to target enemy. If the number rolled is odd, this creature gains 2 PiPs.
[-2] Spleens! - Deal 1d10+4 damage to target enemy. If the damage dealt is 12 or higher, the target is stunned (save ends).
[-3] Unending Horde - Create a copy of this creature at its current hp and zero PiPs.

Zombies are the (mostly) fresh remains of the dead, brought to life through evil magic or eldritch infection. They're slow, stupid, and none too dangerous by their lonesome, but yet somehow there always seems to be far, FAR more of them than population density would dictate.
---

So, thoughts? Power-scale? I might have made some too weak. None are really meant to be faced on their own, obviously, as none are primary damage-dealers other than the zombie.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Minecraft-inspired Monsters Empty Re: Minecraft-inspired Monsters

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:48 am

Warp Space should have the Night Crawler reroll their inistavive and take no damage when attacked, yet they can't do more then one turn per round. That'd be cool and totally fitting, not sure about how balanced that'd make the move. But that's just what I suggest.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Giant Spider needs another +PiP move other than that it seems to be mostly good.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm

I was just worried another [+] move on the spider would turn it into a Spider Spawner, and not use anything else if it were more than a [+1]

Maybe "[+1] Impotent Poison Fang: Deal 1d8 damage to target enemy. Flip a coin. If heads, the target is Weakened (save ends)"?
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:02 pm

As a Minecraft fan, I approve of this idea. Smile And I think you've done a fairly good job of making balanced monsters too. Just a few thoughts that came to me while reading it:

Night Crawler:
Feint: 25% chance to blind on a [+] PiP move seems slightly strong to me. Maybe change it to a d6?
Warp Darkness: I couldn't find anything in the official Pony Tales handbook about confusion. Perhaps you could write something out explicitly? Maybe something like "Target creature must choose random targets for its attacks for 1d2 turns [or possibly (save ends)]".

Giant Spider: I'd suggest upping the number of Cave Spiders spawned to 1d4+2, but decreasing the cost to [-2]. That way you'll always get at least 3 (and it'll feel more like a bunch of minions), but they can't be spawned every other turn. It could stand as-is, though.

Zombie: I'd suggest lowering the cost of Unending Horde to [-4]. It's a cool idea, but I could see it getting chained – use Uuurgh!, then Unending Horde, lather, rinse, and repeat for overwhelming amounts of enemies. Once you have 2 or more zombies doing it their numbers increase exponentially. Unless that's what you were going for here. It could work, it just might also tend to draw out combat.

Love the flavor text on the Dyna Mites, by the way. Very Happy

Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Dis-cord the talent from Equine Power uses confusion...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Oh, does it? I haven't looked at it for a while. There isn't any mention of confusion in the core rulebook that I can see so I wasn't sure what its effects were.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down