Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monsters by Dr Blight

5 posters

Go down

Monsters by Dr Blight Empty Monsters by Dr Blight

Post  Dr Blight Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:16 am

So I'm working on building a campaign, I'm working on building some monsters for it on my own that may tentatively be used in the campaign. These are the ones I have so far. They're also in the Monster Arena because I have no idea what I'm doing!

EDIT: Posting my complete list here on the first post to make it easier to see!

Ambusher - 15 HP
[+2] Blinding-Powder
Target creature is blinded (save ends).
[-1] Dark Blade
Deal 1D6 damage to target creature. Deal max damage if target is suffering from a save-ends condition.
Ambusher's can be of any race and typically wear dark and concealing clothing such as hoodies or masks. They fight dirty and and attack in groups, preferably from out of sight. They are cowardly and can be persuaded to run away when bloodied.

Civilian-lady - 12 HP
Trait - “Buck Outta Dodge”
After directly dealing damage, you may flip a coin. If tails, this monster flees battle.
[+2] “I have Mace!”
Target creature is blinded and takes 2 ongoing damage. (save ends both).
[-X] Wallop
Deal Xd4 damage to target creature.

Civilian-Sir - 12 HP
After directly dealing damage, you may flip a coin. If tails, this monster flees battle.
[+2] “I know Kung-Fu!”
This creature gains resist 3 until its next turn.
[-X] Wallop
Civilians can be of any race and are as varied as they come. They're just average joes and janes and prefer to run away from danger the first chance they get. They can be persuaded to join a battle as allies with difficulty.

Crusader - 20 HP
Trait - Zealous Might
When bloodied, this creature rolls one extra dice for its attacks.
[+1] Slash
Target takes 1d8 damage.
[-3] Parry - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger - An attack damages this creature.
Negate the attack and deal half that damage (rounded up) back to the target.
Crusaders are primarily unicorns. They tend to wear a red, hooded cape with their emblem printed on it over armor and carry a sword. Crusaders are zealots for their cause and cannot be persuaded to abandon combat even if death seems imminent.

Wild Pony - 20 HP
Trait - Hunter
When attacking a stunned enemy, roll twice and take the higher result.
[-3] Throw Net
Target creature is stunned (save ends).
[+1] Spear Jab
Target creature takes 1d8 damage and suffers 1 ongoing damage (save ends).
Wild Ponies are members of native tribes who live in the jungle. They tend to worship their own deities and want little to do with modern society. They mark themselves in ways similar to zebra. Despite the name, they welcome other races who abandon modern society into their tribes but are primarily composed of Pegasi.

Illusionary Wraith- 30 HP
Trait - Haunting
Each Wraith marks a target at the beginning of the encounter. Wraith’s will only attack their target, and only take damage from that target.
[+0] Cruel Visions
Target creature makes a saving throw with a -5 modifier. If they fail they take 1d10 damage, if they succeed the Wraith takes that damage instead. Allies of the target not marked by any Wraiths can assist to convert the modifier from -5 to +2.
Illusionary Wraiths are naturally balls of blue and black energy that resemble floating flames. They pick a target to haunt, putting them to sleep and attacking them in their dreams in forms fitting for their shadows. Their bodies have no true substance so their bodies are normally immune to harm, but the link they form with their victims makes them vulnerable to their targets strength of will.

Windigo - 15 HP
Trait – Feast of Hatred
This monster regains 5 HP and 1 PiP each turn while an enemy is enraged. Each individual Windigo can only maintain enraged on a single target at a time.
Trait - Spectre
This monster is immune to save ends effects.
[+0] Chilled Heart
Target creature is enraged. While enraged the target creature and conjurations allied with it do not perceive Windigos and attack their allies if no other enemies are available. Enraged is automatically removed upon the Windigo’s death.
[-6] Frozen Soul
Target enraged creature is frozen and any conjurations attached to them are dispelled. A frozen creature is no longer enraged and considered defeated and out of combat until the Windigo’s death.
Windigos are blue ghostly equines who breed and feed on the hate in the hearts of the living. They influence their victims into becoming more and more consumed by hate before freezing them solid to feed on their hatred for eternity. The windigos frost is spiritual in nature, so destroying the spirit who conjured it will free the victim with no physical harm done.

Mini-Arachne- 1 HP
Trait - Chitinous
This creature has Resist 2.
[+1] Bite
Deal 2 damage to target creature.
Mini-Arachne are black, poisonous spiders who can be found in caves and are about the size of a tarantula. The minis are still young and their poison is not yet harmful to anything larger than a bird or bat. They are cowardly and prefer to avoid larger creatures unless they feel they are being attacked. They greatly dislike light and the sight of it frenzies them.

Bosses
Killer Whale - 80 HP
Trait - Thick Hide
This creature cannot be made Vulnerable.
[+1] Drag Under
Target creature suffers from Vulnerability 3 (save ends).
[-X] Charging Tackle
Target creature takes Xd10 damage.
An Orca Whale.

Greater-Arachne - 60 HP
Trait - Swarm
At the beginning of each round, 1d4 'Mini-Arachne' spawn as allies of this monster.
[+2] Twin-Strike
Make two attacks. Each attack deals 1d8 damage to target creature.
[+0] Rising Frenzy - Immediate Reaction
Trigger: An enemy is reduced to 0HP.
1d4 ‘Mini-Arachne’ spawn.
[+0] Web Spinner - Immediate Reaction
Trigger: An enemy makes an attack that includes this creature and kills one or more of its allies.
The triggering creature is stunned. (save ends)
[-1] Consume - Free Action
You may destroy one allied Mini-Arachne if any are available to gain 10 HP.
[-3] Twin-Fangs
1d12 damage and target creature suffers 3 ongoing damage (save ends).
Greater-Arachne are adult Arachne, identical in appearance to the minis except comparable in size to Princess Celestia. They eat anything they can catch, including their own young and still greatly dislike light. They don’t normally recognize ponies or the like as food but will attack aggressively if they feel their nest is in danger.

Shaman- 30 HP
Trait - Guarded
While another allied creature exists in battle, this monster cannot be directly targeted by enemies.
Trait - Mystic Source
Creatures summoned by this creature are dispelled if this creature is defeated first.
[+1] Mystic Chant
Target allied creature gains 2d4 HP. -OR- Target creature takes 1d4 damage.
[-4] Summon Guardian Statue
Summon an allied Guardian Statue. It has the following Stat-block.
Guardian Statue - 60 HP
Trait - Solid Stone
This creature has Resist 3
Trait - Two of a Kind
Only two Guardian Statues can be summoned in a single encounter.
[+1] Heavy Hoof
Target creature takes 1d8 damage. If max damage is dealt, target creature is stunned. (save ends)
[-X] Trample
Target creature takes Xd8 damage.
Shamans are the leaders of Wild Pony tribal cultures, they oversee offerings and prayers to their deities. They are capable of using unusual magic to animate the statues of their deities that supposedly protect their village. The hunters of the tribe guard the shamans to the last in case of danger.

Guard Captain - 60 HP
Trait - Commander’s Presence
Allies of this creature gain 1 extra PiP at the beginning of their turn.
[+1] Wing Blade
Target takes 1d10 damage.
[-3] Shield Formation
This creature and its allies gain Resist 5 for 2 rounds and regain 1d6 HP.
[-2] Reinforcements
Summon 1 Guard allied with this creature.
A Captain of the Guard, they command the Guards assigned under them and are typically tasked with defending a community. (Guards in question are the sample Guards available in the Pony Handlers Guide.)

Blood Knight - 60 HP
Trait - Wrathful Storm
While bloodied this creature can take two standard actions on its turn.
[+1] Bloody Claws
Target takes 2d4 damage and suffers 2 ongoing damage (save ends).
[-1] Cruel Slash
Target creatures takes 1d10 damage. Regain equal HP if target is suffering from a save ends condition.
[+0] Die For Me! - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger - An attack would kill this creature while there is an allied creature in battle.
Allied creature is destroyed instead, the triggering attack is negated and this creature regains HP equal to half that creatures Max HP.
A knight who lives for the joy of battle and bloodshed. Can be of any race and typically wear well-worn and scarred armor. Found among Crusaders as leaders, though they don’t typically care for the survival of those under them.

Head Crusader - 80 HP
Trait - Zealous Fury
This creature gains a +3 bonus to its saving throws.
Trait - Commander’s Presence
Allies of this creature gain 1 extra PiP at the beginning of their turn.
[+1] Sacred Sword
Target takes 1d10 damage. Gain an additional PiP if target creature is bloodied.
[-4] Divine Blessing
Flip a coin: if heads, this creature and its allies regain 2d12 HP, if tails, all enemies of this creature take 4 damage.
A paladin favored by the deity they chose to follow. They will follow their lords orders to the gates of death with no doubt in their mind that they will emerge victorious. They wear thick armor over regal clothes and carry weapons blessed by their deity. They lead Crusaders in their holy missions.

Windigo King - 150 HP
Trait - Tyranny
+3 bonus to saving throws while an enemy is dominated.
[+3] Creeping Cold
Target and adjacent enemies suffer 1 ongoing damage. (save ends)
[+2] Frost Spire
Target creature takes 1d10 damage. Deals max damage if target is suffering from a save-ends condition.
[-3] Winter’s Court
Places a Crown of Ice (10HP) on target creature, that creature is dominated while the Crown is present.
[-10] Fury of the Ice and Snow
Target creature take 3d12 damage.
A spirit heralded as a god of winter and king of the Windigos.

Last edited by Dr Blight on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

http://askdarknebula.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Monsters by Dr Blight Empty Re: Monsters by Dr Blight

Post  Jason Shadow Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:29 am

Ooh, I particularly like the Dark Blade ability for the Ambusher.
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:24 am

Civilian-Madam - 12 HP
After directly dealing damage, flip a coin. If tails, this monster flees battle.
[+2] “I have Mace!”
Target creature is blinded and takes 2 ongoing damage. (save ends both).
[-X] Wallop

Civilian-Sir - 12 HP
After directly dealing damage, flip a coin. If tails, this monster flees battle.
[+2] “I know Kung-Fu!”
This creature gains resist 3 until its next turn.
[-X] Wallop

Why yes, I am planning in case my future players go around attacking ponies in the street!
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Two things would attacking civilians reduce harmony? And the Madam is far stronger than the Sir.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:51 pm

I could remove the ongoing damage. I admit I have no idea what being maced feels like.

As for harmony, that would depend on the situation I guess. If a player just looks at a random guy on the street and decides "I am going to attack him" then you certainly won't gain harmony for that, do it too much and you'll be making things less harmonious and thus might lose harmony.

But say instead the guy is hysterical and you need him for something, maybe information, maybe he stole something. Knocking him out is one way to calm him down and make things more harmonious for others so you'd gain harmony for that. Not as much as if you'd managed to talk him down but still.

You might also see a civilian if for whatever reason the party has to pickpocket someone and they get caught. You probably wouldn't gain or lose harmony for that if there's a good reason.
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:21 am

2 things on civs:
1: Balance isn't necessary. It's physical skill versus chemical assistance it seems.
2: Buck Outta Dodge is unclear: Do they flee after they use Wallop, or do they flee if Rainbow Blitz punches them for 5 damage? I know we're balance checking for you, but others may want to use them too. Smile

Also, on balance: Greater Arachnae is going to have a rough time if anyone has even minor AoE attacks. One Fireswath, on average, will wipe out the entire swarm. You write up the encounter as a puzzle boss by the description, but it will be pretty easily defeated in one turn, I'd say, with or without the minions. I'd suggest something closer to my spider instead if a boss encounter is more to your liking, keeping the mini spiders coming in waves every turn until it is defeated if we were aiming for something more of a challenge and not a minor random encounter. Not saying "use mine", just, it might be a closer power level if "level 1 early game boss" is your aim. If not something closer to mine (again, only here for inspiration purposes), I'd say to up it's hp to 30 and make consuming a spider heal 2d10, or outright 10hp, since the party will likely kill the minions well before he can eat them if your intent is to have them learn to go for the minions first.

My spiders from the Minecraft thread:
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 am

They flip a coin to escape when they successfully use Wallop on a target. The idea I had for the civs is that they're average joes who just want to get away. So they try to scare you off somehow (the first skill) then when that doesn't work they slam you to knock you on your butt and try to run away.

As for the greater-arachne, I figured I might need to power it up since it is meant to be a kind of area boss. But I've never made monsters before so I wasn't sure how or how much. I'll use your spider and tips as a guide and put up a redone version in a few minutes.

EDIT: alright, reworked the greater-arachne to be a little more threatening. Is this too far? I'll probably take your advice about ramping up the Mini-Arachne spawns frequency too.
Spoiler:

I don't want to punish players for using AoE because, this is the perfect time to use them. But at the same time I don't want them to just fireswath everything to death, that makes it too easy. So I went with 4 since I figured that only something that hits every enemy at once like fireswath would take out 4 or more in a single move.

EDIT2: Reworded "Buck Outta Dodge" to hopefully make it more clear.
Spoiler:
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:40 pm

I like the Web Spinner concept, but I would put it at [0] or [-1] triggering. Stun Save Ends can be a terrible, terrible thing I've heard, Twisted Evil and even if its a rare occurrence that it would trigger (what with only 2 per turn appearing), it still shouldn't reward the spider for blasting webbing. It is much more powerful on its own, not relying on 1 damage minions to aid itself beyond fodder, but I think his [-3] may be a teensy bit too powerful, though for a boss it may be alright. It will encourage support classes at the very least, not just rushing headfirst.

Buck Outta Dodge looks much clearer now. Smile

EDIT: If you want to summon more spiders per turn but don't want to summon 3 as it seems too much, do 1d4. The average roll is 2.5, but it adds some tension (and ability for GM fudging) to the mix.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Spoiler:

Is that better? I don't want to weaken Twin-Fangs too much since its the Greater-Arachne's big special attack. The one that makes the party go "Oh buck...!"
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Okay, so I really have no idea what I'm doing...

-But that said, for the record I don't think the big spider's -3 attack was overpowered how it was with 1d12 damage and 4 ongoing. You want boss monsters to have some bite to 'em, and if the damage output becomes a problem, you can always fudge that d12.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:36 pm

posted up the complete monster list I've made so far into the first post. If you have any feedback, please feel free.
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:40 pm

I want to help, but I don't know if I should... Don't. Want. To. Ruin. Surprises.

If you still want my input DB, I can give it though.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down