Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monsters By SilentBelle

3 posters

Go down

Monsters By SilentBelle Empty Monsters By SilentBelle

Post  SilentBelle Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Well, I've been brewing up monsters in both my games of Pony Tales and Living Legends. I'm actually surprised that I haven't posted these yet, considering how I do those monster tests in the arena. So I figured I should share some of them with you Smile

First monster I created for this system, the Owl Bear, intended to face 2 players on equal footing, turned out pretty good actually, though the players were pretty lucky in the game...

Owl Bear - HP: 80
Trait - Primal Instinct
The Owlbear receives another turn at -10 initiative.
Trait - Primal Confidence
The Owlbear gains 3 temporary hit points when it deals damage to an opponent; the Owlbear does 2 extra damage on all of it's attacks (including ongoing damage) when it has no temporary hit points.
[+2] Claw: Target takes ongoing 3 dmg, (Save ends)
[-1] Rend: Target takes 1d8 dmg, if the target is suffering ongoing damage, then it takes an additional 1d8 dmg
[-4] Ferocious Roar: 1d8 dmg to all enemies, and 50% chance of stun for one turn.

And then we have my first boss encounter that I made for the campaign. It had the Changeling Matriarch and 3 of it's Crystal Golems. At this point the party was a party of three.

Crystal Golem - HP: 20 (3 of them)
Trait – Crystal Body
The Crystal Golem has Resist 3
Trait: Crystal Surge
Whenever this creature makes an attack it gains 2 temporary hitpoints and glows brightly while it has temp hp. If this creature has temporary hit points at the start of it's turn, all of it's allies gain 1 pip.
[+1] - Glowing Distraction
Target gains vulnerability 3 (Save ends)
[-3] - Blinding Beam
1d10 dmg to target enemy and the target is blind (Save ends)

The Changeling Matriarch - HP:50
Trait: Illusion Master
Any time she is targeted by a single target attack, flip a coin, if heads, the attack targets an ally of hers instead
[+1] Magic of Deceit
An enemy attacks another target enemy. The attack must be a [+pip] attack that deals damage, of the target's choice. If the target has no such move, they are instead blinded until the end of next turn.
[-3] Arcane Blast
Target takes 2d10 dmg, adjacent targets take half as much (round down)
[-5] Summon Crystal Golem
Summons a Crystal Golem into the battle (Max of 3 golems out at once)

The players also rescued Peewee who joined their party so they could fight some harder stuff.

Peewee – 15 HP
Trait – Rebirth
When Peewee reaches 0 or lower HP, all his pips are removed, and he is healed for 2 hp per pip removed.
[+2] Phoenix Down
Target ally is healed for 3 hp
[-6] Phoenix Tears – Minor Action
Target ally, whose hp is 0 or lower, is healed for 3d10 HP

Here's the second Boss encounter I made. This time it was 4 players and Peewee fighting them, two botched fireswaths, 1 damage and 2 damage, kind of had the players all get knocked unconscious by the end of the combat, but the boss had been knocked out and only 3 minions remained:

Lazarus (Gryphon Leader) – 100 HP
Trait – A True Leader
At the start of Lazarus' turn, 2 minions are revived
[+2] Claw of the Eagle
1d8 dmg
[-5] Keep it Together
All minions are revived
[-7] Roar of the Lion
2d8 dmg; target is stunned (save ends)

Gryphon Minions – 1 HP (9 of them)
Resist: 3
[+1] Claw
2 damage
[-2] Morale – Free Action
Lazarus gains 1 pip

Here was a fun group of monsters my players fought in a forest while performing a lumber-jacking side-quest Smile

Creepy Trees – 25 HP
Trait: Forest for the Trees
Gain 1 resist for every other creepy tree (Max of 4)
[+2] Branch Lash
1d8 dmg
[-1] Impaling Roots
5 ongoing damage, (save ends)
[-3] Trunk Stomp
2d10 damage to target creature
[0] Timber! - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: When the creepy tree is reduced to 0 HP
All enemies flip a coin, if heads they take 1d12 damage.

So the whole quest lead the players to fighting with gryphons, such as these 4. (3 guards and 1 Striker)

Gryphon Guards – 30 HP (3 of them)
Trait – Guardian
When this creature deals damage to an opponent add this effect: Any damage dealt by this opponent, that don't include this Gryphon Guard as a target, are reduced by two (Save Ends) (replaces existing effect from other Guards).
[+1] Eagle Claw
1d6 damage
[-2] Feathered Blow – Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: An ally who is bloodied takes damage
Target gains 1d10 temporary Hit Points

Gryphon Striker – 25 HP
Trait – Sudden Strikes
If the gryphon striker hasn't been dealt damage since last turn, the Gryphon Striker gets +5 to damage to it's next attack.
[+1] Eagle Claw
1d6 Damage, if the target becomes bloodied from this attack, gain an additional 2 pips.
[-3] Quick Flight
The Gryphon Striker is removed from combat for one round and returns on the next round at the start of it's turn. On that turn it can only make the following attack:
[0] Dive Bomb
Deal 1d10 to a target and all adjacent enemies

Later on they had another showdown with the boss. Alone this time, but against only 2 of the players, so I remade him slightly, turned out to be a really close battle:

Lazarus (Lone General Form) 70 HP
Trait – The Weight of Responsibility
When bloodied, Lazarus does an additional 2 damage on all attacks and in addition, whenever Lazarus does damage with an attack, the targets of the attack are weakened
[+2] Eagle Claw
1d6 dmg
[0] Taunting Victory Pose - Immediate Reaction
Trigger: You stunned an opponent
Gain 1d10 temporary hitpoints
[-1] Supersonic Eagle Claw
2d8 dmg to a target and adjacent creatures
[-3] Thunderous Roar
1d8 dmg to a target and adjacent creatures, 50% chance to stun for a turn.

The other 2 players and Peewee fought 2 Shadows and a Wisp. And while I realized how dangerous they could be with domination, these monsters lost.

Living Shadows 20 HP (2 of them)
Trait: Made of Shadow
Doesn't take ongoing Damage from any source
[+X] Draining Touch
Target loses 1d4 pips, and you gain as many as they lost
[0] Icy Claw
1d8 damage to target and gain as much life.
[-4] Shadow Puppet
Target is dominated (Save Ends)

Ice Wisp 40 HP
Trait: Winter's Heart
At the start of it's turn, the wisp deals 1d8 damage to target creature that is weakened.
Icy Body
Gain 2 Resistance
[+1] Ice Shard
1d8 damage to target creature, and that target is weakened (Save Ends)
[-3] Absolute Zero
Deal 2d10 damage to target creature, that creature cannot regain Hitpoints (save ends)

So then those were my Pony Tales creations, and in Living Legends I also made these for a party of 4. This first group actually beat the party, but it was sooo close.

Scrap-Metal Automaton (4 of them)
HP: 30
Pips: 0
Trait: Bucket of Bolts
When Bloodied, the Scrap-Metal Automaton becomes blinded.
[+1] Metal Arms
1d8 damage to target creature, if a 1 or 2 is rolled, gain an extra pip
[-3] Bolts Everywhere
2d8 damage to target and adjacent creatures, deal self half as much damage

Giant Mecha With Ruby
HP: 50
Trait: Pop Top
Caged power source At bloodied, the cage breaks open. Can make a Stunts or acrobatics DC 25* as a [+1] pip move to turn the robot off.
[+1] Massive arm slap
1d8 dmg to target creature and 50% chance of weaken (1 turn)
[-3] Drop Kick
1d12 dmg to target creature and adjacents
*the players were okay with this mix of combat/non-combat

I have a mechanical theme going in Living Legends, so the party also faced this creature even with one character performing a series of skill checks instead of fighting.
Steel Hawk
HP: 50
Trait: Constant Motion
The Steel Hawk gets 1 turn at 16 initiative, 1 turn at 11 initiative, and a third turn at 6
[+1] Shearing Wings
1d8 damage to 2 target creatures
[+2] Like Nails on a Chalkboard - Immediate Reaction
Trigger: Becomes Bloodied
All opponents make a saving throw, if failed, then they are weakened and suffer vulnerability 3 (save ends)
[-5] Diving Claws
deal 2d12 damage to one creature

They also fought some mechanical statues that activated because they messed up on a riddle, but they won the battle pretty easily.

Kain and Pain (Statues)
50 HP
Trait: Hard as stone:
Gain resist 3
Twinned movement:
While both statues stand, they each gain 1 pip whenever the other takes an action
[+2]Rock Fist
Deal 1d8 dmg to target creature
[+1] Blocking Brother – Immediate Interupt
Trigger: an ally would take damage from an attack, you take that damage instead
[-5] Barrage of Stone Fists
Deal 1d10 damage to all opponents
Any ally my pay one pip to add an additional 5 dmg to this attack

Two of them came across this minotaur and subdued him:
Minotaur Rogue
HP: 60
Trait: Boundless Endurance:
Any time the Minotaur Rogue spends pips on a combat talent, he gains temporary hitpoints equal to 2 times the amount of pips spent
Assassin's Edge:
Any time the Minotaur Rogue deals 5 or more damage in an attack with a single target, he gains 1 pip and the opponent loses one
[+3] Gambit
Deal 1d12 damage to yourself, flip a coin, if won, gain half as many temp HP
[+1] Stab
Deal 1d10 dmg to target creature
[-1] Evasive manuvers
Trigger: You would be effected by an opponent's combat talent
Flip a coin, if won, you are not effected by the triggering talent
[-2]Poisoned Blades
Deal 1d8 damage to Target and adjacent allies, they are all weakened (save ends)
[-6] Blades of Darkness
Any of your single target attacks deal an additional 1d10 damage until the end of the encounter.

And for my upcoming session I am having this fun little beast make it's way out of the sewer, I might tweak him a bit before next session, but here he is:
Malboro
HP: 110
Trait: Tentacle Monster
Malboro Tentacles get 2 turns, one 5 less initiative, and the other at 10 less initiative of what the Malboro rolls
Pip'in Tentacles
Whenever a Tentacle is dealt more than 5 damage in an attack, the Malboro gets a pip.
[+1] Hold Ground
The Malboro gains resist X, where X is the number of functional tentacles it has.
[0] Regrow Tentacles
All tentacles are brought back to life and fully healed
[-7] Bad Breath
All creatures aside from the Malboro and it's tentacles roll a 1d10 and gain the effect:
1 – Blind and Weakened (save ends both)
2 – 5 ongoing damage (save ends)
3 – Vulnerability 5 (save ends)
4 – Stunned 1 turn
5 – Nothing
6 – Blind and Weakened (Save ends both) roll again
7 – 5 ongoing damage (save ends) roll again
8 – Vulnerability 5 (save ends) roll again
9 – Stunned 1 turn roll again
10 – Confused (Save Ends) (This character can only use +pip moves on it's turn and any targets are determined randomly.) roll again

Malboro Tentacles
20 HP
Tentacle Count
For every 5 HP the tentacles have (Hp/5; rounded up), it counts as a functional tentacle and is used in it's attacks represented by X.
[0] Tentacle Slam
Deal 1d8+(2X) damage to target creature where X is the number of functional tentacles

Oh wow, I have more monsters than I remembered Very Happy
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Monsters By SilentBelle Empty Re: Monsters By SilentBelle

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:33 am

Do you mind if I request a monster?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:57 am

No problem Very Happy Go for it, I'd love to make a monster.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:06 am

Build a Zombie Zebra Mare that does potions with save ends effects. At least four different save ends effects. And just only send it to Tyrger... Cause he totally need some stats for Zeebea... XD
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:12 am

you realize that something like that would only show up maybe once ever and I sent something that was already in the works but beyond my ablities to balance.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:17 am

You really should think a bit farther then that, I'd forse Cloudy trying to help free the Zombie Wife, or something... And come on. You gotta open your minds to the possiblities of post-combat that'd be. And what sillyness to happen before it. And there might be sparing... Cause Cloudy and Zeebea totally did some sparing in their lifetime now.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:39 pm

And here we have the Fire-Eater, it was actually a fairly close fight:

Arctic Fire-Eater (Solo) (Created by SilentBelle)
HP: 140
Starting Pips: X
Traits:
Thirsting for Heat
This creature starts with pips equal to the number of enemy creatures in combat on the first round.
Crystal Body of Reforming Ice
This creature has resist 3 while not bloodied and regains 1d6 HP at the start of it's turn if it hasn't taken damage since it's last turn.
Frozen Spirit Seeping From the Cracks
Once this creature is bloodied, it gains vulnerability 2 in place of it's resistance for the rest of the encounter and does 3 bonus damage to all of it's attacks. (Even if it heals, it doesn't regain the resistance or lose vulnerability).
Frenzy
This creature has 3 separate turns per round of combat, one at 15 initiative, one at 10 initiative, and one at 5 initiative.
Leech Heat
Whenever an enemy suffers ongoing damage, this creature gains 2 HP.

[+2] Freezing Cone – Standard Attack
Deal 1d8 damage to target and adjacent creatures (+3 when bloodied). Weaken the primary target creature (save ends)
[+1] Icicle Barrage – Minor Attack
Deal 1d4 (+3 when bloodied) damage to up to 8 target creatures
[-5] Steal Heat – Standard Utility
Up to 8 target creatures take 3 ongoing damage (save ends).

Danger Rating: 7

Legends speak of the Fire-Eaters, long, winged, crystalline serpents about 40 to 50 feet in length. They were last seen a thousand years ago. It was said that when one of these frozen creatures would come upon a traveler's camp, the fire would be the first to die, but not the last. They are able to extinguish any small natural fires, gaining sustenance from such actions. They can also suppress any larger or magical fire until it is fully eaten. It will then follow up by trying to go after other smaller heat sources, for example: creatures. Presence of large fires will drive this creature into a rage that causes an unnatural chill until all around it is as cold as winter. The only way to stop one of these creatures from extinguishing a flame is by attacking the creature and pulling it's attention to you. The bigger the fire, the larger the hit that's required to catch it's attention.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:57 pm

In my opinion it needs more moves and most of the attacks it has are rather under powered.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:In my opinion it needs more moves and most of the attacks it has are rather under powered.

It was close to knocking you all out Razz Imagine if it got those three extra moves that it was stunned for Smile

I mean on average it does, to a party of 7, about 21 damage to the party on a turn.

Over the course of a whole round it does about: 70ish damage and weakens 2 creatures and they suffer ongoinge damage which heals this beast. (Total HP of party: 210) So in one round it takes everyone down to about 20 HP. That's a 3 turn demise, which doesn't seem that scary, but the fact that it hits everyone is the terrifying part. Usually if one person gets knocked out by this monster, many of the players allies are close to dead as well.

So I think it was actually a strong enough monster. You guys got pretty lucky with your rolls, and started the battle in a rather clever manner Smile
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Alright, here's that Mushroom from The Overseer's Challenge.

Freaky Fungus (Elite)
HP: 140
Trait:
Sporadic Growth
At the start of the Giant Fungus' turn, it spawns 2 Sapient Shrooms which count as summons for all intents an purposes. (Can't have more than 4 in combat at any given time)

Sapient Shroom 1 HP
Trait:
Spore Shower
When this creature is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, target enemy and adjacents roll a d4 (separately) and suffer one of the following conditions.
1: The target is Blinded (save ends)
2: The target is Weakened (save ends)
3: The target suffers vulnerabilty 4 (save ends)
4: The target may only use a single random action on their turn (of all of their available combat talents, determined in the same way as d12 of Derpy's Lightning), without paying the pip cost, (if this ability results in a saving throw prior to the end of their turn which removes the effect, then they get their turn back as normal). If targeting is applicable, then the targeting is chosen at random. (Save Ends)
If they are already suffering from the selected condition, then they take 5 damage instead.

[0] Spores in Your Pores – Standard Attack
Deal 3 damage to target creature, if they are suffering from a (save ends) condition this attack does 5 damage instead.

Fun Guy
The Giant Fungus gets an extra pip at the start of it's turn for each (save ends) effect it's suffering from. It also gets a +2 bonus to saving throws.

Manic Mushroom
The Freaky Fungus gets 2 turns in the initiative order. One turn at it's normal roll and one turn at 10 less than the amount rolled, if the resulting number is 0 or negative, add twenty to it's value. (eg: rolling a 9 for initiative results in: 19 and 9; where as an 11 results in: 11 and 1)

[+1] Spore Shot – Standard Utility
Target creature is Dazed (save ends)

[-6] Burrowing Mushroom – Minor Utility
The Giant Fungus is removed from combat until the start of it's next turn and gains 20 Temporary HP.
It returns to combat on it's next turn with the following move-set in place of it's normal moves. As well as gaining the following trait.

Trait - Oozing Mushroom Body
This creature loses 10 HP per turn while not under the effect of a (save ends) condition.

[+2] Mushroom Cannon – Standard Attack
Deal 2d8 damage to target creature and adjacents, if a target is bloodied they only take half damage from the attack

[-4] Festering Wound – Minor Utility
For the rest of the encounter, while target creature is bloodied, they suffer 3 ongoing damage, this effect cannot be saved against.

Danger Rating: 5.5
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down