Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

+14
Masterweaver
Retrokinesis
RavenscroftRaven
Xel Unknown
Demonu
Zarhon
Greywander
Ramsus
Jason Shadow
LoganAura
elfowlgirl
Nehiel Mori
tygerburningbright
Stairc -Dan Felder
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate - Page 2 Empty Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Just to clarify, we're counting on the clumsy minion spending that magic point to give you or a party member a +10 to a skill check, which is one of the most solid used for your Magic Point. Other than that, you just tell your clumsy henchman to stay behind.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate - Page 2 Empty Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Nehiel Mori Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:55 pm

RavenscroftRaven wrote:
You may want to note that Dynamic Duo doesn't stack with Dynamic Duo, in summary, since those are (usually stacking) untyped bonuses.

Unless we wanted Dynamic Duo to stack with Dynamic Duo... Suspect
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Retrokinesis Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:29 am

Wow, I like these a lot. The flavor is easily mutable for similar concepts; I can see Rockstar used for stage magicians, politicians, etc. and Dragon Disciple for faithful students marked for alicorn-ness. Some questions though...

1. How long does the once-per-session enhancement for Aura of Misery last? Can you just make all your allies immune at the beginning and leave it on forever?

2. Do the level 7 and 10 Evolution bonus points stack for a total of 15 or does The Perfect Being replace the earlier 3 for a total of 12?

3. Does the level 7 Master of Madness ability let you use Laughter once more for free like the first level or does someone have to give you an extra point?
Retrokinesis
Retrokinesis
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:51 am

Retrokinesis wrote:Wow, I like these a lot. The flavor is easily mutable for similar concepts; I can see Rockstar used for stage magicians, politicians, etc. and Dragon Disciple for faithful students marked for alicorn-ness. Some questions though...

1. How long does the once-per-session enhancement for Aura of Misery last? Can you just make all your allies immune at the beginning and leave it on forever?

2. Do the level 7 and 10 Evolution bonus points stack for a total of 15 or does The Perfect Being replace the earlier 3 for a total of 12?

3. Does the level 7 Master of Madness ability let you use Laughter once more for free like the first level or does someone have to give you an extra point?

1. It should be 5 mins; somehow that never got included in the google doc

2. Yes. Yes they do.

3. The level 4 of Master of Madness removes the magic point cost making it 1/day. The level 7 lets you use it 2/day instead of 1/day.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 am

Regarding "planeshaper":

1 - Is the "seed of existence" a physical object in the current dimension, or an alternate plane of existence/different dimension of existence?

2 - Is there any way to access your plane of existence by mundane/regular means, other than by using the 1/session utility talent to teleport there? It kinda causes a conflict with the "meditate to make it grow" feature otherwise, you get 12 hours to meditate, but I assume you can't meditate and take an extended rest at the same time.

3 - Does taking an extended rest count as meditation?

4 - Can you use "shape reality" daily to further affect your plane, after using the feature provided by the lvl7 utility?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:28 pm

It intrigues me there is a destiny with the Laughter prerequisite, but not one with a prerequisite for any other EoH.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:22 pm

2 - Is there any way to access your plane of existence by mundane/regular means, other than by using the 1/session utility talent to teleport there? It kinda causes a conflict with the "meditate to make it grow" feature otherwise, you get 12 hours to meditate, but I assume you can't meditate and take an extended rest at the same time.

You can stay there for a maximum of 12 hours. An extended rest is 8. Meditation is 1.

I do have a couple questions/issues with the Planeshaper Destiny myself, however.

Is the time you're gone a flat conversion rate? 1 hour in your plane = 5 minutes back home? Is it a 1:1 conversion until you're gone for more than an hour? Or are you gone for an hour, no matter how long you spend on the plane (even if it's just a minute)?

Also, why is it 1/session instead of 1/day? The meditation is 1/day, but sometimes a session will cover several days in a short span (like in the Guardians of the White Halls campaign. A few times, actually). Conversely, sometimes several sessions are needed to cover a single day. It leads to this odd situation where the player might be able to use it six times in one day before having to wait two weeks before they can do it again.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:24 pm

You got the reference in Metagamer wrong, it should be

I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Also Explorer destiny needs buff-up and making more unique.
Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Appkes, it needs buffing from 3 natural twenties?
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:36 pm

You guys are too focussed on its level 10 abilities. Level 10 is something über powerful, endgame that sets your char up for retirement. Level seven abilities get much, mich more play time, and the 7 for explorer is... Freaky knowledge mk1.5.

How does that compare against an entire REALITY for epic mess. And 3 crits/day is still a boring, purely adventuring bonus thing. Other destinies become avatars of ressurection or build mighty flying bases, or permanently advances the game world. Adventurers get a few mechanical bonuses.
Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:39 pm

LoganAura wrote:Appkes, it needs buffing from 3 natural twenties?

It's more about its lvl7 feature being a slightly upgraded freaky knowledge. If the destiny is about making you feel like Indiana Jones/Daring Do, a +5 in three very specific skill checks is NOT doing it. It's weaker than almost every destiny boon of that level.

It's lvl4 utility, "secret shelter" is outdated: It needs a magic point for something utterly mundane (compare it to planeswalk from the planeshaper destiny, which lets you do something similar, but also do a hell lot more, for no magic point). It should be daily/session limited, rather than force a player to save/not use their magic point for most of a session, if he wants to make use of the shelter for daily/magic point restoring purposes.

It's lvl10 is good and powerful, but it also feels like its missing something that would give it flavor, Indiana Jones style. Something like a treasure map for hunting artifacts?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Or maybe, if you're a legendary explorer, there should be some sort of legend-based talent.
Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:52 pm

A for Appkes wrote:Or maybe, if you're a legendary explorer, there should be some sort of legend-based talent.

Aye.

To be frank, the three-crits-a-day effect doesn't actually sound like something the explorer would have. It sounds more like it would fit better as the lvl10 talent of the "Self Discovery" tree (since it's essentially "neutral" in regards to destinies, you end up making a destiny out of being good at whatever you desire to do).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Yeah, I think you're right there.
Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:42 pm

*shrug* I thought it fit. Indy usually pulls amazing success at impossible odds practically on command.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Ramsus wrote:*shrug* I thought it fit. Indy usually pulls amazing success at impossible odds practically on command.

That would explain the "lead fridge" incident. Although I'm fairly certain that would have to be a expert skill success, plus magic points.

Is that all that defines Indy, though? Getting lucky/amazing successes when he needs them? Must be more to it than that.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Well he has Utilities for the rest. =P
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:25 pm

so many glorious possibilities...
Choosing just became harder
I really like the planeshaper one. It is a bit sad that, following from the text, everything in your plane is made entirely out of rock until the lvl 10 though...
Still, that level 10 ability more than makes up for lost time ^^.
Infinite Blade Works.
There, I said it.
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:51 pm

I think the planeshaper destiny should allow you to have easy/unlimited access your plane, once you hit lvl 10. "Once per session" limits on entering the plane (via planeswalk) is a bit too limiting for something that should allow total creative freedom, and kinda makes it impossible to put the plane to use for anything significant (since there's only so much you can bring inside), not to mention that "once per session" doesn't mean "once per day" due to the way DMs might use timeskips or whatnot, which further limits the characters (as they cannot re-use its feature for another 12 hours).

Would creating a permanent portal / doorway between the plane and the real world be something you could do, as part of your Reshape reality utility?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:51 am

Explorer level 7 is going to get buffed once I have more time to work on it. My boss has me working all weekend long

Feel free to post suggestions for it
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 am

Zarhon wrote:I think the planeshaper destiny should allow you to have easy/unlimited access your plane, once you hit lvl 10. "Once per session" limits on entering the plane (via planeswalk) is a bit too limiting for something that should allow total creative freedom, and kinda makes it impossible to put the plane to use for anything significant (since there's only so much you can bring inside), not to mention that "once per session" doesn't mean "once per day" due to the way DMs might use timeskips or whatnot, which further limits the characters (as they cannot re-use its feature for another 12 hours).

Would creating a permanent portal / doorway between the plane and the real world be something you could do, as part of your Reshape reality utility?

I was thinking something along the same lines:
once per session entry seems like a huge limit on the ability, though unlimited access would make it overpowered, i think.
maybe a 2/3 per day entry limit for yourself? or instead of transporting up to five creatures, have it so that you can send only one per use, give the player 5 charges and have them use up one charge per, maybe with an upgrade once you hit 10?
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Just to clarify, we're counting on the clumsy minion spending that magic point to give you or a party member a +10 to a skill check, which is one of the most solid used for your Magic Point. Other than that, you just tell your clumsy henchman to stay behind.

I still think the "Clumsy" minion from the "Vile Villain" destiny is far too weak/useless to have any reason to be picked over the redshirt. You can see this if you compare the benefits and downsides of both:

Redshirt
+ Saves master from death, once a week
+ Reliable use of his +10 skill with no daily limit
+ Extra source of assists/assist bonuses
+ Can have his skill check assisted by the master and allies
- Unreliable use of his other skills

Clumsy
+ magic point for giving a +10 bonus to any skill check, once a day
- 50% critical failure chance on all of his skills or assist attempts
- Potentially harmful/sabotaging to master and/or his party due to nature of critical failures

The redshirt can be used reliably (given some creativity) without limits and can assist others (which, regardless of how low his skills are, can be useful) and has the literally lifesaving feature of self-sacrifice, with no downsides that the standard minion would have. The clumsy minion can be used reliably once a day and offers no other benefits, as well as having a major downside of risking catastrophic failures to him/the master/the whole party.

If you can't use the clumsy minon for actual minion-related tasks, whats the point of it being a minion then? You might as well have a box with a stored magic point instead: It's less likely to cause you harm.

As for explorer destiny, how about these for a lvl7 talent?

Adventure time! - 1/day
Preparation time: 1 minute
For the next 10 minutes, whenever you attempt a skill or assist check, you must roll a d20. For any roll that isn't a critical success/failure, if the DC of the skill check isn't higher than X (where X = Bonus to that check without roll + 10), you automatically succeed it.

Dumb luck - 2/session
You may choose to auto-succeed a critical failure on a skill/assist check. Whenever you do so, you must then choose one of your next three skill/assist checks: That skill check will automatically critically fail, which cannot be prevented by any means. If the player does not choose within 3 skill checks, the DM must do so for him, at any time, within the current session.

I've had worse - 1/Day
Immediately free yourself or an ally from any physical, magical or mental bonds/restraints/control, regardless of difficulty, and gain a +10 to your next athletics or precision roll. Other creatures remain unaware of your freedom until you choose to demonstrate it.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Here's another name for "ive had worse"

That was a moment ago
Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Another idea for Explorer: Puzzle solving instincts!

Tip of your tongue - 2/Session
You may request your DM to give you a single hint which will lead to the most optimal and/or simplest solution of a specified problem. The Hint may come in one of the following forms, of which the player can choose from, if available:
- Naming/identifying an object/creature that would be of assistance.
- Pointing towards the direction of something that would be of assistance (creature, object), that is within line of sight, regardless of how well it is hidden or concealed from sight.
- Stating an optimal direction or location to go to.
- Stating a fact or trivia that is related to the solution (e.g. "Walls " to).
The first two checks that are related to the given hint gain a +15 bonus to them. If the DM cannot give hints, or the situation cannot be solved normally, no daily charges are expended.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:24 pm

AppkesGelatinousCubeBait wrote:That was a moment ago
And I can also do THIS

I have a possible suggestion for explorer:
Why did it have to be snakes?
Name a specific situation or creature that you absolutely detest.
Whenever you are in contact with the specified creature or situation, you gain an automatic +15 to any skill checks made to solve, survive or escape your predicament.
The condition has to be specific (snakes, bears, opera), and the action has to directly affect whatever you are trying to get away from. No getting a bonus to running speed for claustrophobia if you are running INTO the confining tunnels
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next