Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snowdrop and Double Rainboom Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

3 posters

Go down

Snowdrop and Double Rainboom Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers) Empty Snowdrop and Double Rainboom Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:32 am

There's been enough time now for everypony to have seen both the big fan episodes, so while lacking new material... What did you think?

Snowdrop: VERY well done. I hadn't heard of this in development until its release, it wasn't nearly as publicized as Double Rainboom, but it manages to cram a lot of story into what is strictly speaking about 7 minutes shorter than a regular episode. 2/3 the time, but at the same time, barring some animation fluidity issues in the backgrounds, it could have been an episode of the series. It works quickly to get you to identify with the main character's plight, and uses shortcut routes to do so (via disability to imply greater hardship than is shown on-screen), but it doesn't create that bond for no reason. Every minute of the episode had something happening, something working towards a greater experience.

Yeah, it was as cheesy as the moon, but in the saccharine way that makes the cheesiness get suspended while you're watching it. One or two shaky animation spots only solidifies that it is a fan work, but if you tossed another two minutes of backstory and maybe a sad song to flesh out the episode into a full-length one, it would be a contender for best season three episode, in my opinion. The biggest flaw is the music was forgettable, but it didn't invalidate the fact you only realize, 15 minutes later, "wait, I just watched a quarter-hour about someone's blind OC". This was EQ bronies at their best.

Double Rainboom: This was /mlp/ bronies at their best. The source matters a bit here, and I think viewers of both animations can agree that one was definitely artist bronies and the other was definitely Anon-Bronies. The animation was excellent, musical cues were spot-on, and it was kind of funny, but it made a hard error. I am not huge into the fandom news, I will only check EqD once a week or so. Yet I knew of this episode long before it came out. The hype surrounding it was immense, and nothing can live up to hype that heavy. I think they did themselves a disservice there. And not because of building hype alone; hype is good to inspire the people to work harder and finish it. But they advertised the wrong thing. "Double Rainboom", the story of Rainbow Dash working with a super-science Twilight to set up a big accomplishment, billed as an extraordinary slice of life full-length episode... Burst into so much trollface-smoke in the first three minutes. Shamalan may have directed Double Rainboom, but we didn't like Shamalan's twists when they were about Avatar either.

They lost tension in the twist reveal. The pacing felt rushed because they needed to get as much Alt-verse brony references in as possible, and needed to spend half the episode on the twist. You know, oddly, if they ended with the Back To The Future reference, Twilight walking up to the open hole, and a "to be continued in part 2", I would have much more praise for it, but after that strayed so hard from their original advertising that I think I'm not alone in saying it was a turn-off. Animation was stellar, and voice acting was quite well matched, music choice was good, there is a lot of talent in it, but I think the writers let down the rest of the team here. I'll blame M. A. Larson, since I don't know off-hand who actually wrote it, and he's always good for taking a fall.

Of the two, I think Snowdrop, despite being 2/3 the length, would be the one to watch if, for some reason, you find yourself unable to watch more than one youtube video. I'll support Double Rainboom for everything except the writing as probably being superior to Snowdrop, but unfortunately, in a creative narrative, the writing is pretty important.

Just my two cents. Still, kudos to both of them, we need content in this long upcoming drought, and I salute anyone who can make such a production. They came out close together so clearly they're going to get compared to one-another, so what is everyone else's thoughts?

(Inb4 "I f***ing love Tenacious D!")
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Snowdrop and Double Rainboom Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Snowdrop and Double Rainboom Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:48 am

I have not seen any of these, but I must point out in fairness that Avatar as directed by M. Night did not have a twist anywhere in its narrative. To my knowledge.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Snowdrop and Double Rainboom Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Snowdrop and Double Rainboom Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Post  SilentBelle Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:46 pm

I loved parts of Rainboom, the animation and certain references. But there were parts that missed their mark and it got a little too repetitive (many high and low points in this animation). I think the creators would have done well to trim it a bit and establish a better over-all focus for the story. I thought the voice acting was better than Snowdrop, (on an individual basis) yet the dialogue, when couple with the music started to feel awkward and clunky. And the story was sub-par at best. Thankfully I was taking the hype in with a grain of salt and not expecting too much from it.

Where as with snowdrop I liked the voice acting, except for Snowdrop's voice, it just wasn't my thing. (I'd probably grow used to if I watched it again) The story in snowdrop was better, as it has lasting impact. No one is going to see Rainboom and say 'this is now my head-canon, while many have adopted Snowdrop into their head-canon. I enjoyed Snowdrop primarily for the world-building, but I can't say I really enjoyed her as a character. I think I appreciated her mother more than I did Snowdrop herself, if that makes any sense.

Overall, I think I enjoyed watching Rainboom (the first two thirds) more than Snowdrop. If Snowdrop had a more appealing voice to my ears, then Snowdrop would take the cake. Still, both were phenomenal undertakings in their own right, and I look forward to seeing the numerous comics and such that will be inspired by Snowdrop.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down