Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whisperings

5 posters

Go down

Whisperings Empty Whisperings

Post  Varkarrus Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:13 pm

So I'm making an Elderborn character (half human, half giant space octopus) for a Living Legends campaign and I wanted to give her an appropriate racial trait. Figured I'd post it here so it could potentially end up in the genetic engineering doc Razz

Code:
Whisperings (3) - 3/Day
Preperation Time: Instant
Close your eyes and focus on the whispers of secrets that flow through the multiverse
The GM secretely rolls a d4

1: You are told something misleading, but not outright false. A red herring.
2: You are told something factual but not necessarilly important about the current situation
3: You are told something important, but not necessarily relevant to the current situation
4: You are told something important about the current situation
This ability can only be used once per situation.

To clarify, a situation is mostly like, a single scene. Such as a battle, or a conversation with a noble, or running away from a chase. As soon as the situation 'ends', you can use Whisperings again.

Varkarrus
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Whisperings Empty Re: Whisperings

Post  Ramsus Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:24 pm

I think that might work better as 1 point but, only 1/day. Certainly a neat idea.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:04 pm

TT: Have you ever looked into the sky without your shades?

I like this idea a lot, actually. I do agree with Ramsus that it should be either 1/day, but for different reasons as I think the wording around "scenario" should be replaced with something clearer. I mean, I know what you mean, but it isn't intrinsically obvious and is just begging for rules lawyers to say "oh yeah, that fight scene was a situation, and now this problem that cropped up two minutes later is a new situation, obviously!"
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Varkarrus Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:45 pm

That actually would be a change of situation, I think.
I also think it should be 3/day (but cost 3) because the information isn't always useful. If it was 1/day but cost 1, the ability wouldn't be as relevant.

Varkarrus
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Then apparently you have picked exactly the right word and I had no idea what you meant

go me
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:54 pm

The reason for my suggested change is because 1) 3 points is actually a rather high price to pay for such an ability. Compare it to things like Best of the Breed or A Thousand Faces. 2) If days pass by quickly for some reason (you're just traveling from one place to the next) the amount of questions there can quickly exhaust the GM's ability to keep information hidden from the players. Especially since nothing prevents you from asking the same questions repeatedly.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Varkarrus Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:57 pm

The user doesn't ask a question, they just get an answer Razz

But yeah, I suppose there could be a version that's just 1/day (1), and the other can be used with GM approval.

Varkarrus
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Shadow Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:22 am

I do like the idea of such a racial trait. (I don't really have anything constructive to add, however...)
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:32 pm

I love these kinds of abilities. It's also a more feasible way to implement one of my favorite early talents. We used to have a talent in the system called "Insight" - which you could use twice a day to learn a secret about an NPC. However, it was a noticeable tax on DMs - because DMs had to be able to come up with secrets for any NPC at a given momet that would feel worth using a utility talent on but not so powerful as to be OP. That kind of subjective balance and demands on the DM's time prevented it from being feasible.

However, the added specificity of something like this trait might make it possible to have a talent like that in without as many problems - and I really like that idea.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum