Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunbeam's Combat Talents

3 posters

Go down

Sunbeam's Combat Talents Empty Sunbeam's Combat Talents

Post  sunbeam Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi there! You can guess what this is about from the title, right?
I have some combat talent ideas that I'm going to throw at you. I expect you to catch them, inspect them, and explain to me what is wrong with them and what you like about them. They're currently sorted the same sort of way that the handbook sorts them, since I don't really have much of a filing system. Now then, if we understand each other, here's the subject material:

Warlord
[-3] Remove Fear - minor utility
Target ally gains 1d8 temporary hp and immediately saves against one (save ends) condition it already has.

Psion
[-1] Exchange of Maladies - Standard utility
Target ally and target enemy exchange all (save ends) conditions they are suffering from.

Monk
[+3] Diamond fist - Standard Utility
Your next two attacks ignores resistance.

[+2] Second wind - standard utility
Make a saving throw. You regain hitpoints equal to half the roll result.

Bard

[+3] Dancing Lights - Standard Utility
Target creature is Dazzled (save ends). Whenever a Dazzled creature rolls the two highest numbers on a die (i.e. 3 or 4 on a d4, 11 or 12 on a d12, etc.), They reroll the die.

[-4] Veil - Standard utility
Target ally is veiled (Save ends). Whenever a veiled creature is targeted with a combat talent, roll 1d4. On a 4, the combat talent has no effect.

[-4] Tasha's Hideous Laughter - Standard Attack
Target enemy is dazed (save ends) and suffers Confusion (Save ends). A creature suffering confusion flips a coin when it attacks. If it loses the flip the attack targets a random enemy instead. The enemy automatically fails its saving throws against Confusion as long as it is dazed.
OR
[-5] Tasha's Hideous Laughter - Standard Attack
Target enemy is dazed (save ends) and suffers Confusion (Save ends). A creature suffering confusion flips a coin when it attacks. If it loses the flip the attack targets a random enemy instead. The enemy must roll twice on its saving throw against confusion and take the worse result.
(I can't decide which version of this I prefer. I'm also not certain if the second one should cost more or not. Thoughts?)

[-6] Deluge of Music - Standard Attack
Target creature is dazed (save ends) and Deafened (save ends). Whenever a Deafened creature rolls a saving throw against a condition other than Deafened, it rolls twice and takes the worse result.

[-6] Cat's Grace - Standard utility
Target Ally gains Cat's Grace (Save ends). Whenever a creature with Cat's Grace is targeted with a single target attack, flip a coin. If tails, the enemy’s attack has no effect on the creature.

Ranger
[+3] Healing Arrow - Standard utility
Deal 1d4 damage to target ally. That ally regains 1d10 hp. If an ally is knocked unconscious by this move, they still lose all their pips, but immediately regain 1d10 hp.

Berserker
[-2] Bear Hug - Minor attack
Target creature is stunned (save ends). You are blinded and suffer vuln 3 until the creature is no longer stunned.

Alchemist
[-1] Side effects - minor utility
Remove a (save ends) effect from target creature. That creature is now dazed (save ends).

[-2] Chronic pain - reaction utility
Trigger - Target creature fails two or more saving throws in one turn.
Effect - The target suffers a -4 penalty to it's next saving throw.

Druid
[-3] Calm Emotions - Standard Utility
Target enemy is calmed (save ends). A calmed creature cannot use attacks.

Can you tell I like Bards? In any case, I currently have one talent that I have no idea what to do with, or how to balance it, or how to make it usable. So I'm just going to put it here and people can use it as inspiration or suggest things or whatever.

Wizard
[-?] Flood/Inundate
All creatures are now drowning (save ends) Drowning creatures can only take one action per round (like dazed) and suffer a -5 penalty to saving throws against drowning. If a drowning creatures fails to save against drowning (save ends) for 3 rounds, it is reduced to -15 hp and saves against Drowning (Save ends)

So what do people think of everything?

Last edited by sunbeam on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:51 am; edited 4 times in total
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Sunbeam's Combat Talents Empty Re: Sunbeam's Combat Talents

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:21 pm

sunbeam wrote:[-1] Exchange of Maladies - Minor utility
Target ally and target enemy exchange all (save ends) conditions they are suffering from.

[-2] Bear Hug - Minor attack
Target creature is stunned (save ends) and you suffer vuln 3 until the end of your next turn
These two are pretty overpowered. They are minor actions, incredibly cheap, and do so much...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:43 pm

I was pretty certain Bear Hug was overpowered, especially when combined with those beserker rage talents that give you vuln 4. I'll work on that.

But the Reason Exchange of Maladies is so cheap is because it's really situational. It's hard to use it to drop 3 or 4 save ends conditions on an enemy because you have to put them on an ally first...wait. Dark Bargain. Hm...it's still otherwise redundant to layer (save ends) conditions on an ally when you could just aim at the enemy, and most of those penalties are rather tame. You also still shouldn't aim Exchange at enemies that are coated in (save ends) conditions (which lot of builds tend to try)...Hm.
Just for the Dark Bargain combo that I somehow missed (despite my love of dark bargain), it's at least a [-2] minor, possibly more. Do you think we might just want to make it a cheap standard action? That would cut down on the situations you could use it in a lot.

Oh. There's also the issue of how a lot of monsters induce their own (save ends) conditions on themselves, if I'm remembering correctly, and a lot of those could be stupidly powerful when attached to a PC. This move is looking glitchier and glitchier.

Well, What would people think of it as a [+1] or a [-1] standard? It would essentially be an utterly gimped version of benediction of maladies, in return for a much cheaper cost.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:03 pm

No... There is a simple combo of:

[+4] Dark Bargain - Standard Utility
You suffer 2 ongoing damage (save ends), vulnerability 2 (save ends), and a -2 penalty to damage (save ends).
And:

[-1] Exchange of Maladies - Minor utility

It'd let you throw THREE save ends at a monster for a +3 PIP GAIN!
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:06 pm

As I just noticed in my comment above yours, which is why we're now probably changing it to a standard. I'm just toying with keeping it at a [-] pip cost.

Changes:
-Changed Exchange of Maladies to a [-1] standard, as a placeholder, since it's clearly mildly gamebreaking as a minor, and was probably under cost, besides.
-Changed wording on Cat's Grace to more precisely mirror Displacer Armor, which is it's intended purpose.
-Bear Hug now blinds as well as granting vuln 3, and both effects last until the stun is saved against. I really don't want to make it a standard action, because I do want it to combo with the rage minors.
Also, I'm worried about the wording for bear hug not being explicit about how both conditions end when the stun is saved against, and what happens if someone else applies stun in some fashion. I think it's hard to misinterpret, but I think the best way is some rewording of "when an enemy saves against the stun," and I'm not certain how to phrase it. Any suggestions?
-Added Diamond Fist to the Monk section.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down