Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

+28
Pingcode
deonte9109
Caden2112
Mind Gamer
LoganAura
Doc pseudopolis
thematthew
Z2
Cardbo
AlicornPriest
sunbeam
Quietkal
Kenzamaka
Azureink
Philadelphus
Nehiel Mori
Fury of the Tempest
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Hayatecooper
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Kindulas
kajisora
Ramsus
ZamuelNow
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
32 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 40 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Zarhon wrote:
AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:What says you can just happen to find a 1,000 pound object nearby?
"It says here on your sheet that you start with a... 'thousand pound slab of concrete'?
"I made it myself!"

"The kitten appears to be stuck on a tree. It meows at you for help."
"I pick up the tree."
"You uproot the tree and bend it, allowing the kitten to get off. You then re-plant it."
"Why would I re-plant it?"

"Do you really have to go through with this? I know it's your job as a thief, but..."
"Hey, don't blame me, blame the guys that were too cheap to nail and anchor everything to the floor."

"For the last time, it can't fit through the door!"
"I'm not leaving the gold statue behind!"
I see no problem with any of this.

Spoiler:
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 40 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  sunbeam Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:24 pm

For the Tabletop game:

[0] Get out of my face! - Interrupt Attack
Range: Melee
Trigger - A creature willingly moves into a square adjacent to you.
Effect - Deal 1d8 damage to the triggering creature.

Based entirely off of its reverse, Don't forget about me (which already exists):

[0] Don’t Forget Me - Interrupt Attack
Trigger - A creature adjacent to you willingly moves away from you or makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:26 am

sunbeam wrote:[0] Get out of my face! - Interrupt Attack
Trigger - A creature willingly moves into a square adjacent to you.
Wouldn't this ability essentially turn into a "must have" for every single character that intends to melee? It's far too easy to trigger (do your normal standard actions, use a move action to move a single square square away), making it essentially free 1d8 damage (which can crit too!) for every enemy that wants to melee you, every turn, or any creature that has to move near you.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:50 am

Yeah Don't Forget Me at [0] might be a mistake in itself, but at least bad-guys can charge you and then just know not to move away... but just 1d8 against any melee creatures that want to get at you?

Needs a cost. 1d8 on a fairly easy reaction trigger is actually [-2] (6.5 * 2/3 = 4.333333333)
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:05 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Kindulas wrote:Worried about a +3 that can just kind of eat a minion like that...
I'm pretty sure minions were made to be eaten.
True... and I mean it's on an standard action limit, so you can't spam-kill everything
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:43 am

ZamuelNow wrote:
Kindulas wrote:
Kindulas wrote:So... Zamuel, your history thing...
I think we can get the flavor clearer if we call it something like "Use Big Words,"
For some flavor accuracy, perhaps it could be restricted to working on creatures with low Knowledge??
Though some DMs might be tripped up by having not given an NPC an actual knowledge score.

The flavor kinda seems to be pushing it...
okay, wait, I say that, but come to think of it, it crosses no believability lines we haven't lapped already
To me, it's basically Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness in action.  I guess it's a situation where the flavor makes sense to me but I don't know how to describe it so others see it that way.
See, I get it, but again it's not like Imposing which is a "How could this not be a thing" deal, and it sets a precedent I'm not sure we need - hence "pushing it" as opposed to not making sense. The mechanics of "here use a different skill" I'm... loathe to use I guess. And I guess the other thing in that comment was that even then, the tactic wouldn't work on particularly intelligent NPCs.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:55 am

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Some utility talents at their base forms, probably in need of some editing should they be accepted.

Super Strength
[Example text: Gain a +10 Bonus to Athletics checks made to move objects by main strength.]

I don't know how big that bonus should be. I know that straight bonuses are kind of boring, but there's hardly no precedent - there are several situational bonuses to Athletics ala Haste or Rainbow Dash to your side.

Somewhat similarly:

Tactile Telekinesis:
You may use Ponykinesis with a maximum weight of 1,000 pounds, but only on objects you are already touching.

Here's a very situational one, entirely useless in some campaigns and very very useful in a select few, and probably needed of a renaming and some editing:

Occlumency
You become aware of when someone is trying to read your mind, alter your memories, or place you under some form of mind control (collectively known as 'mental assault'). When you choose this utility talent, also choose one of these two effects.
A)Up to [?] times a day, when someone tries to mentally assault you, you may prevent them from doing so for the next 20 minutes.
B)When someone tries to mentally assault you, you may make a Knowledge: Arcana check, the DC to be determined by the GM (having a maximum of 35). If you are successful, you prevent that person from mentally assaulting you for the next 20 minutes.

And finally, something that will be rejected since it mixes combat with non-combat, but gosh-darn it I wanted to say it "out loud" because I Still love the Dresden Files:

Soulfire - 1/Day
Use one of your Magic Talents without spending a magic point. Until your next extended rest, your maximum HP is 5 less. (Damage you've taken stays constant; for example, if you've taken 6 damage with a maximum of 30 HP, after using this talent you'll have taken six damage with a maximum of 25 HP.)

That last one may actually work if we can find something to drain besides HP though...
1) We do give a pass on static bonuses to more specific things. Such a thing could be useful for some archetypes.
2) That's interesting. Turning telekinesis into "Magical lifting strength." As for the problems, you can't toss people around for the same reason you can't make athletics checks to punch them. Many other problems are present in the mega telekinesis's already, though the part where it might incentive picking up everything not nailed down might be an issue...
3) Talents for "mental protections" are probably called for.
4) With a proper drawback, that might be workable. It would need a pretty substantial drawback though. About negative two-talents worth... but something that wouldn't be too easily disregard-able.
4a) Jim Butcher rocks. Haven't read Dresden yet though.
4b) ...so that's where Dan got the term from.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:15 am

Zarhon wrote:
Captain Obvious:

It's based off an ability I've seen in a D&D handbook - one that essentially allowed rogues to give allies the results of their perception checks (e.g. if the rogue notices a trap the others don't, he points it out). Can't remember its name, but I think it was something akin to "Point it out".
I think people just kind of get to do this. I mean, maybe there are a scant few situations where the ability to really let someone get your results is meaningful, but in my experience it's just kind of "So I tell the party and now they're clued in." Especially when you have telepathy to clue people in at the speed of thought, and does more than this does...
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:18 am

Kindulas wrote:I think people just kind of get to do this. I mean, maybe there are a scant few situations where the ability to really let someone get your results is meaningful, but in my experience it's just kind of "So I tell the party and now they're clued in." Especially when you have telepathy to clue people in at the speed of thought, and does more than this does...
Hm, true... Although this could be reflavored to have the mechanic work in a different, but similar manner - for instance, temporarily gaining the ability to look through an allies eyes, or around an ally (useful for situations where they are separated, or the ally in question has low perception and is the only one capable of scouting, letting him be a "beacon" for the eyes of the others, or those with special vision).

In itself, it is meant mostly for situations where specifically seeing something the others cant is required and can't really be "explained away" (e.g. an invisible array of laser tripwires you need to dodge past, which only the guy with magical attunement sees). It can also be fantastic when used with True Sight (or when, RP wise, there is some changeling-caused mistrust in the party). I do admit it's a bit situational, though...

Eyes of the Beholder:

This one is more of a "party split safety line" - lets an ally be instantly aware (and more importantly, see) what you do, act as "eyes on the back of your head", or give you the option of letting your allies know you might be in trouble, if KO'd (and having a Magic Point that would be otherwise useless or incapable of being used).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:36 pm

It sounds really weird to be able to spend the Magic Point while unconscious unless it's due to Dream Stride or something.

Kindulas wrote:See, I get it, but again it's not like Imposing which is a "How could this not be a thing" deal, and it sets a precedent I'm not sure we need - hence "pushing it" as opposed to not making sense. The mechanics of "here use a different skill" I'm... loathe to use I guess. And I guess the other thing in that comment was that even then, the tactic wouldn't work on particularly intelligent NPCs.
I guess I can understand the concerns about setting a precedent since there are times I think arguments on some things are weird.  While I think History is a good skill to have for the purpose of the game system, it feels difficult to come up with utilities for it if we're attempting to move away from passive stat buffs.  A question I have (that probably should have been asked much earlier in the week) is if we're still restricted to just two entries or if the number expands for this final week.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:25 pm

I'll extend the cap to four entries this week, since it's both the final week and a longer one.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Psh. Now I need to go make up two more things to submit.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:18 pm

With two more options that I may suggest I'll go again to submitting the last two talents of late that I did "retract" from being submitted.

[0] Rocket Punch - Standard Attack
Pay 6 HP and deal 2d6 damage to target creature.

[+3] Soul Strike - Standard Attack
Pay 1d6 HP and deal damage equal to the HP paid to target creature.

The idea behind Rocket Punch is be a cheap attack that deals 2d6 damage... Might work better as a -pip or +pip move but also thought it might be cool to have it be a 0 pip move. Soul Strike (which still might need a better name) is basically just trying to be a +3 move that deals 1d6 damage at a major cost... Also in theory an upgraded single-target version of Arcing Bolt, buff is being a +3, downside is it costs life.

Last edited by Xel Unknown on Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Well, I'm working on a trait with Kind... but meanwhile. I'm gonna suggest this.

[+2] Nick - Standard Attack
Deal 3 damage to target enemy, ignoring resistance. For each bonus to damage, flip a coin. If you win the flip, the bonus damage also ignores resistance.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Well, I'm working on a trait with Kind... but meanwhile. I'm gonna suggest this.

[+2] Nick - Standard Attack
Deal 3 damage to target enemy, ignoring resistance. For each bonus to damage, flip a coin. If you win the flip, the bonus damage also ignores resistance.
This strikes me as needlessly complex...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:This strikes me as needlessly complex...
Yes, well, the original version.

[+2] Nick
Deal 4 damage to target enemy, ignoring resistance.

Was said to be to dull.

As if Knife in the Dark is any more exciting.

-------

https://ponytales.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=727
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40