Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Errata Suggestion/Discussion Thread (changes you'd like to see made)

+27
Copper Rose
AProcrastinatingWriter
Lapis-Lazily
Mind Gamer
Demonu
Pingcode
LoganAura
conantheghost
Dusk Raven
Cardbo
Quietkal
sunbeam
Kindulas
tygerburningbright
Fury of the Tempest
Hayatecooper
thematthew
A1C Bronymous
SparkImpulse
Xel Unknown
Philadelphus
Ramsus
Zarhon
kajisora
ZamuelNow
Paper Shadow
Stairc -Dan Felder
31 posters

Page 44 of 44 Previous  1 ... 23 ... 42, 43, 44

Go down

Official Errata Suggestion/Discussion Thread (changes you'd like to see made) - Page 44 Empty Re: Official Errata Suggestion/Discussion Thread (changes you'd like to see made)

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:18 am

Hey I'm not saying keeping it as a -2 move... I'm saying like upgrading it to like a -5 or -8 to go over the whole party... And maybing having it cost a minor action too to use. (like how Oversized Sword works)

Hell I think having be random like a 1d6 targets get the effect would be really neat. like:

[-3] Smoke Bomb - Standard Utility
Roll 1d6. Until the end of your next turn, anything that attacks X target creatures, where X is the d6 roll, must flip a coin before it attacks. If the attacker loses the flip, the attack does not affect the target.

Or the coin flips be like for a number of attacks or till next of your next turn:

[-2] Smoke Bomb - Standard Utility
For the next 1d6 attacks or until the end of your next turn: Any and all creatures that attacks either yourself or your allies must flip a coin before it attacks. If it loses the flip, the attack does not affect it's target.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Official Errata Suggestion/Discussion Thread (changes you'd like to see made) - Page 44 Empty Re: Official Errata Suggestion/Discussion Thread (changes you'd like to see made)

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:28 am

If it were to go that way, which I doubt it will, I think itd be better as a step-up, with three options.

A) it only affects you or target creature
B) pay 2 extra pips, it affects you or target creature and adjacent creatures
C) Pay 4 extra pips, it affects you and all allies

And then have a separate but equal do the random 1d6 targets effect, or pay X and it hits X/2 targets.

Just spitballing.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:31 am

I do think the three tiered option could work wonders... And keep it as a standard action. But also do like the -X idea too...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:39 pm

ZamuelNow's Suggested Edit wrote:[-2] Smoke Bomb - Minor Utility
Until the end of your next turn, creatures that attack you must flip a coin before it attacks. If it loses the flip, the attack does not affect you.
From what I understand this is what Zamuel's opinion on what changes should be made to Smoke Bomb, just a simple change of a standard to a minor... Will agree that this change would fix the talent. But might also be useful to have it be usable to use on allies as a choice of the target as well as becoming minor talent. But that's just my two bits on what I think is Zamuel's suggestion. I could be wrong...

Xel Unknown's Suggested Edits wrote:[-3] Smoke Bomb - Standard Utility
Roll 1d6. Until the end of your next turn, anything that attacks X target creatures, where X is the d6 roll, must flip a coin before it attacks. If the attacker loses the flip, the attack does not affect the target.

Or:

[-2] Smoke Bomb - Standard Utility
For the next 1d6 attacks or until the end of your next turn: Any and all creatures that attacks either yourself or any of your allies, must flip a coin before it attacks. If it loses the flip, the attack does not affect it's target.
This is what my suggestions are for the talent... I figure having the talent be a variable type of move that'd either effect a random number of attacks or a random number of targets that get shielded by this move. Both are clearly tinged with my natural complexity creep effects. But either of these edits will solve the move's major issues of only effecting yourself. And in my opinion having it's effect be given a bit of randomness might be a fun feature. But that's just my two bits on my own suggestions.

Bronymous' Suggested Edit wrote:[-2] Smoke Bomb - Standard Utility
Until the end of your next turn, all creatures that attack anything under the effects of this talent must flip a coin before it attacks. If the attacker loses the flip, said attack does not affect it's target.
Choose One:

a) This talent only affects one target creature.
b) Pay 2 more energy (4 total) and this talent affects one target creature and the target's adjacent allies.
c) Pay 4 more energy (6 total) and this talent affects both yourself and all of your allies.
If I understand what Bronymous is saying this is basically the edit that he is suggesting we do... While I was the one to phrased this talent in the way you see above I don't think there is any other simpler way to phrase it's effects then the wording I used here. Would think this edit would be lovely and highly welcomed change to the talent. Even if it's B option were removed and it can only do either A or C... It'd still be a welcomed change. Though hope it'd be able to do all three.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:13 am

PSA: I've just moved houses and won't be able to get the Internet hooked up for about two weeks. I still have ways to get on, but if you don't see me around for a while that's why (that's also why I haven't been able to look at this proposal in any detail yet, way too busy, sorry).
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:45 am

Combat Talents Doc wrote:[-X] Mend - Minor Utility
Target ally gains regeneration X+2 until the target is dealt damage. X cannot be less that 1.

I'm just wondering... Why is Mend an Ally Only move? I don't really get why it is that way... It's already god the major drawback of basically possibility painting a target on an ally's back because of the regen's loose condition. So why can't it be used on yourself as well?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:38 pm

Specials and Powers of note:

Defender's Valor is...problematic.  The inability to use it on allies actually winds up making it fail at its goal of defending anything.  Through gameplay, it's been shown that it's the one Special that a GM can inadvertently render useless.  It might be argued that this can be alleviated through using the Tank Feature but that's incorrect since that requires prediction that might be wholly incorrect.  What makes this rather interesting is that Shield and Conjure Guardian Spirit already exist.  Despite attempts to reduce redundancy in the system, there's already reactive options for protecting yourself or others.  

What would help Defender's Valor would be to make it more flexible.  I feel there's breathing room to do so since Valor can only be obtained through a crit and thus it's random rather than consistent.  This mostly avoids the problems of being able to infinitely use it since it will run out and you can't even start the battle with it.  My proposal is as such:

Defender's Bravery change proposal wrote:Defender’s Bravery
You gain access to the following power:
[0] Defender’s Valor - Reaction
Trigger – You would take damage or an ally would take damage from a Single Attack
Effect -You may spend any amount of Valor. If you do, reduce the triggering damage by Xd8, where X is the amount of Valor spent.

[8] - Special
Gain 2 Valor

[10] - Special
Gain 3 Valor

[12] - Special
Gain 4 Valor and Challenge target creature.

This opens up the option to protect yourself so you can continue tanking or protect an ally directly.  It also has limits since only Single attacks means it can't be used to stop AOE and it also means it can't be used to protect allies from self damaging non-attacks like Red Lotus.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:43 pm

Great point. Originally the special was designed as another way to pull attacks onto you, but we realized that defenders already have reliable ways to do that. So we gave them a special to make them tougher to kill and more able to survive pulling attacks onto themselves. However, if it's often not doing anything then that's a significant gameplay issue. I'm worried though, if it just lets you protect anyone like a protective spell - isn't it just a cleric-style special?

We want it to feel like it suits a "pull damage onto myself" build - but it also needs to be playable, and it shouldn't pull attacks on its own.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:46 pm

So I was constructing a Wanderlust character, and decided I wanted him to have a pet bird. Pretty simple to give him a companion... except that the Companion only gets 2 Ability points, and Flight costs 3. I know you can pay another Ability point to give it to the companion, but since you only get 10 to start with, spending almost half on the companion just so it can be a bird seems a bit pricey. The other option is to give the Companion Walk the Winds, but for only 10 minutes of flying at a time, it also seems very limiting. Is there a reason that a pet falcon should be more expensive than, say, a pet tiger?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:51 pm

It's what the pet can do that's important. If you don't take any combat options for your pet, it isn't what you assosciate with the "pet tiger" you're comparing it to; because your pet won't actually be able to fight like a tiger. A pet tiger would cost a lot more resources from your charactersheet than a pet falcon. You should be comparing a pet falcon to a pet fox, not a pet tiger.

As for why flight is valuable, the scouting options of a pet falcon alone are considerable.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Ok, admittedly tiger being a bad example, let's look at other abilities instead. Flying is good for scouting sure. But what about, say,
Other abilities:

The majority of those are just as useful, if not more so, as flying in other situations- and some of them are 1 cost, meaning a non-flying pet could be double as efficient as just a bird.

Flight makes perfect sense to be a 3 cost for the PC, certainly (may even be too cheap), but for something that pretty much can only do that, and can only use it for spying and maybe delivering messages, it seems like there should be a way to make it just as accessible as the other options.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:13 pm

If I was coming up with an at-will remote scrying sensor that could fly around, I'd probably cost it at the same amount. It's not *just* how useful it is, part of an ability's cost is how disruptive it can be. Being able to get that much information without risking your own presence is very valuable and can undermine a lot of planning by less experienced GMs too. Additionally, it'd be awkward to write out this specific exception for pet-abilities when they can otherwise feed off already-balanced ones. It's possible this is a bit too expensive or a bit too cheap even, but there's a cost to making special exceptions too in terms of accessibility. Overall, I'd rather not make the exception.

However, if you want to ask your GM to houserule it to let you get the flight ability for a point less just for your companion, awesome. I'd be happy to allow it in a custom game for flavor reasons. We just have to treat the system for min-max reasons too, can't afford to let it be on a case by case basis the way we can with individual GM rulings. Also, we don't really want getting companions to be a super-attractive Min/Max option because roleplaying for multiple companions can slow things down a lot and tax GM efforts.

TLDR; It's probably balanced anyway, and there's a lot of other reasons I don't want to do a special exception to reduce the cost for companions. However, this is a great example of a time for special-exceptions granted by a GM on a case by case basis.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm

Which it has been- DM allowed an extra point for 2 less Skill points. I'm not looking for something purely for my benefit, I'm looking for something beneficial to all players.

I still dislike the idea of telling everyone they can't have something just because that 1-in-a-dozen minmaxer might find a way to turn it into an indestructible killbot or something- especially since the fix of DM houseruling is just as applicable in either case. But that's just my feedback on it.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:19 pm

That isn't the only reason, but in general I feel it's better to put GMs in a position to be lenient and provide their players with a gift than to force GMs to whack their players with the nerf bat. You're familiar with how the reaction to being nerfed goes, even when dealing with professional games and designers. When it's your friend doing it that you might think is 100% wrong and have no reason to believe he might know more about balance than you do AND it seems the game designer disagrees with him (clearly, because why did the game designer do it this way if it was broken?)... That's a much harder discussion to have.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:I'm worried though, if it just lets you protect anyone like a protective spell - isn't it just a cleric-style special?

Well, I was under the impression that more modern versions of DnD had overlap in roles.  I actually see vastly more tanks in WL using Avenger than Tank and I think that's a good way to go about it: Keep options balanced and limited to a contained number but actually have options.  There's also the fact that without the ability to outright force attacks to hit you with Defender’s Bravery, Challenges just sort of default to being better since it's a win/win situation when they're used.  If anything, Defender’s Bravery tends to be more useful for Berserkers than tanks since the damage reduction doesn't care about the source.

There are tangential ways to go about buffing Defender’s Bravery than buffing it directly.  Traits that allow you to directly spend Valor on a redirect would give it more worth.  Similarly, the option to place another Vow per turn would have a similar end result.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Both instances of Animate Bone Mite need a minor formatting fix to make it clear that the "this power's cost cannot be reduced" clause is referring to the ability itself, instead of Bloodfeast. This is especially important for the second instance, which has Footnote No. 20 about Bloodfeast positioned after the clause. Below is the current version, the suggested change version, and Rise For Me! for comparison, which has a similar clause separated from the Blood Skeleton's stat block in both instances of it...

Current Version:

Suggested Version:

Rise For Me! for Comparison:
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:01 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:Elemental Resistance and Elemental Affinity now states that you may take these abilities multiple times. This has been an intended element of the ability but the lack of notice to players (such as myself) being unaware of this, and telling others that they can only be taken once. Now you can take them to your heart's content. Or until you have taken them all.

On the contrary, I was under the impression it was originally deliberate. It was specifically due to resistances so a player couldn't make an invincible character out of combat. It probably needed more of a warning than a hard restriction since, in theory, a GM should notice that and call it out.

With some development continuing, I'm starting to think I should open/reopen discussion about porting WL's version of Flight to PT/LL.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:00 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:On the contrary, I was under the impression it was originally deliberate.  It was specifically due to resistances so a player couldn't make an invincible character out of combat.  It probably needed more of a warning than a hard restriction since, in theory, a GM should notice that and call it out.

Bumping, because I also made this point, citing my own character that had done so. He was unkillable out of combat (pretty much unkillable in combat too).
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu May 05, 2016 6:57 pm

I hereby propose that the current PT/LL Flight chain be reduced from the current four parts and 9 Ability points to two parts and 4 Ability points consisting of just It’s Almost Like Flying (1) and WL's version of Flight (3).  Half of this suggestion is for logic/simplicity.  MLP is a setting where a third of the population can fly, there's several flying creatures, at least one known flying city (which moves), flying vehicles and ways the other pony races can fly or at least walk on clouds.  Dungeon situations tend to be indoors and outdoor encounters can simply include things that fly, ranged attacks, or waiting for the pegasus to fly in closer.

The other major problem with the current system's flight unfairly punishes pegasi compared to unicorns and earth ponies.  An earth pony can pick up some basic team synergy or strength then focus on the stuff that fleshes out a character.  Unicorns? Telekinesis and light means 3 points and you're done.  Pegasi have to spend double to triple the amount for basic competence, especially if they take Weathercrafting.  It also helps with companions and still provides some compensation for the concept of building a "Scootaloo".  In fact, It’s Almost Like Flying -> Flight -> Flying Ace still provides level progression within the concept.  Some might note that WL Flight directly mentions Might/Acrobatics but I don't think that's a problem.  Your basic running speed is an easy to understand concept and alternate ideas like machinery or overpowered mages really should be cleared with the GM.

New Flight Chain Proposal:

While technically a separate suggestion, I'm pairing this with the above to make the official suggestion to change from the current starting 30 Ability points to 21 Ability points, changing Boons from an automatic player reward to something the GM grants as they see fit, and redistributing those leftover 9 Ability points to the levels Boons would have been at in increments of 3 per level.  The reasoning that I've seen from experience is that the system is slightly too frontloaded for newcomers.  For MLP, it should be partially frontloaded but this is a lot of options.  This change still allows you to make basic versions of the Mane 6 so characters aren't underpowered--you would just gain power more evenly.  The more interesting thing I've seen is players who struggle to fill their build for feeling they can't find things that fit the character.

Shifting the point distribution will help the leveling curve so that players feel better rewarded, while still keeping a decent starting power level.  It shouldn't affect campaigns in progress since GMs generally won't (and shouldn't) uproot a campaign in progress for a new ruling.  The Boons change would be killing two birds with one stone by removing something players sometimes argue over without coming to agreement while also officially giving GMs a non combat option to reward the players.  This would admittedly be a big shift for the system that might require adjustments to the costs of a few abilities. Granted, a few need that anyway but I'm holding off other suggestions for future discussion since point revision will definitely require discussion.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu May 05, 2016 8:22 pm

I like these ideas. The flight thing doesn't bother me one way or the other since my only flying character is full throttle flight, and doesn't need much else in the way of ability points.

And the boons are, and always have been, quite underwhelming in the game. They either go forgotten most of the time, or exist solely as a way to block any misfortune sent their way by the DM- or else are hellish to work around in various situations; example- in my current game, the party took the vehicle boon, flavored as one of the characters' wagons. Then they proceeded to drive that boon wagon into a trap that they knew before hand was specifically designed to trap wagons. Now the wagon is destroyed (by intentional player action), and they have effectively lost their boon. I'm working on giving it back as soon as possible, but it's still a nuisance to have to deal with.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu May 05, 2016 9:41 pm

I feel that the main thing that hurts boons is getting them on player level up but the group has to share. The GM directly giving them as a quest reward and giving one to each player (outside of specific situations) tends to be better appreciated. In my campaign, players couldn't agree on the boon, though most leaned towards a flying vehicle. They wound up simply never getting a boon. Recently they stopped a bank robbery and in the process they obtained the villains' getaway vehicle--an unwieldy helicopter contraption with ties to one of the major campaign enemies. After a point it sank in that they more or less got the boon with even the main player who was against it thinking it was pretty cool. There was more sentimental weight to it.

Pure GM control does some interesting things to boons. For one, it allows you to distribute the less popular boons so they can be played with. There's less complaint when it feels more like a freebie or a reward instead of it competing with other "more powerful" options. The GM can give out tons of them if they want or have them get destroyed or stolen with little problem. The GM can even make them random. Over in the Items section, I posted a loot table of small items to pique player curiosity. Most of the ones the players got in my campaign went over well.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Tricks of the Trades and Heart of Courage still exist in the Living Legends documents.  You may want to double check that the two Abilities documents are pairing up properly.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Through discussion with one of my players, I discovered that the Elements listed in the Player's Handbook are subtly outdated compared to the Abilities document. The Element of Magic is missing the update that allowed it to be applied to an ally.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 44 of 44 Previous  1 ... 23 ... 42, 43, 44