Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creative Build Challenges: Week 3 [Ninjas]

+3
LoganAura
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
7 posters

Go down

Creative Build Challenges: Week 3 [Ninjas] Empty Creative Build Challenges: Week 3 [Ninjas]

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:38 am

I've been contemplating for a while if we should have somewhat weekly challenges to create builds for various characters.  Would be an interesting way to flex the system a bit to see whether certain things are possible and to see design different styles.  Most should have limiters in place ranging from sticking with a race or not using specific talent in order to add to the challenge aspect.  

Starting them up.  I'll be updating this as weeks go by.

Week 1:
  • Cheerilee
  • Gambler's Armor

Week 2:
  • The Planeteers (no entries)

Week 3:
  • Ninjas

Last edited by ZamuelNow on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:38 am; edited 5 times in total
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Creative Build Challenges: Week 3 [Ninjas] Empty Re: Creative Build Challenges: Week 3 [Ninjas]

Post  Doc pseudopolis Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:01 am

Why the heck not I say.

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Creative Build Challenges: Week 3 [Ninjas] Empty Re: Creative Build Challenges: Week 3 [Ninjas]

Post  LoganAura Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Maybe we can do something like:

Lv 10 Twilight Sparkle,
or
Character based around Super Sentai shows.
to add to the creativity?

I'd be a competitor not a judge >>
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:52 pm

I'm not even sure judging would be needed, especially since there's no prizes. There's also the fact that some characters have multiple variations. Many superheroes have fluctuated over time and some characters are simply open to varied interpretations due to lacking hard stats or having weird quirks.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Ah, challenge sort of implied a competition to me, sorr.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:39 pm

So more "can you build according to this concept?" as opposed to "Who can make the closest build to this concept?"

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:06 pm

More or less. Thinking of it as a group creative thinking exercise of sorts.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Heck yeah
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:42 am

Reminds me of that create a character thing we did A looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time back.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:35 am

Week 1

Two different parts to this challenge. The first is a character and the one in question is Cheerilee.  Originally I was going to do a non MLP character but I thought she'd be interesting since as an educator the options are a little more limited or take more creative thinking.  In an odd bit of design leniency, the only restrictions shall be that she has to have a cutie mark and the build should be Level 2.  The build has to actually feel like it's supposed to be Cheerilee (describe your choices) but that's a requirement for any of the character focused challenges.

Part two is solely for the combat minded.  Make a decently usable combat build using Gambler's Armor.  It's notorious for the danger of its -13 vulnerability but the +6 resistance can be put to use.  I made a gimmick build for it once that I'll probably post mid week.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 am

Too lazy to go into detail atm, but in a nutshell:

Cheerilee: High Knowledge and Horse-Sense, Standard Earth Pony Racials, Utility Stuff which involve bonuses to other players (e.g. Instant-Party and Dependable), Kindness Element, Non-Heal Support Combat Build. Training Diploma because she is a teacher, duh...

Gambler's Armour: Take something else instead Semi-Interrupt Build. The high resist will allow you to shrug off most attacks and save your pips for the big ones. Misdirection and Stunning Heron's Palm are the main things, Wheel of Fortune in case of pip shortage. Have some pip building move and a large nuke, most likely take Spellbook for more options. Lightning Reflexes and Who's The Tank work well...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:04 am

As for Cheerilee's combat build, she's most definitely a cross Warlord/Cleric to me. Fits her status as a supportive leader. Plus, the image of her using Royal Command with her class is just perfect.
Mind Gamer
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:26 am

Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:38 am

Hmmm...Quick question: For just the combat thing is there a level requirement?
Week 01: Gamblers armour
Concept: The banana shield Solo Fighter:
This build assumes the player will have no support from the party (That is to say not a tank) and as such was built to work solo. While this build does not affect the Gamblers armour vulnerability effect by Weakening the enemy and using a talent that blocks half the damage they can get an effective resist 28 from the combination of Gambler's armour and who's the tank?
On the side offence the only real damage option is Red Requiem which gets around the weakening self effect Muddle the mixture has, although Supercharge (More for PIP gain though, use Guardians shield or Muddle the mixture the turn before to minimise the chance of dealing damage your resist cannot) and Heads I win, Tails you lose (more for weakening the enemy) and can also deal damage while you're building up to it.

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 pm

As far as combat goes, the Gambler's armor most likely fits best with:
Combat stuff:

As for her actual combat role, she's either a:
1) Often-KO'd tank that either completely nullified damage (all the defense traits), or turns KOs to her advantage (can self-revive with phoenix stuff and hits hard when KO'd).
2) A healer/supporter that buffs and heals allies (pacifist, temporary hp, resist granting...).
3) A combat controller, decked with stuff that outright negates enemies attacks and makes the rest of the team's job simpler (dazing effects, domination, stuns, blinds, confusion and re-targeting abilities, draining enemy pips, putting enemies all adjacent to each other...).

As far as utilities go, Cheerilee can have any of the following:
Potential utilities/racials:

So for a utility/racial pick at lvl 2, it would probably be:
Cheerilee Racials/Utilities:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:00 am

Doc pseudopolis wrote:Hmmm...Quick question: For just the combat thing is there a level requirement?
Nope.

Also, Cheerilee doesn't need to have the Gambler's Armor. It's two separate challenges though there's nothing wrong with combining them if you want.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Concept:
This build functions similar to the solo fighter build in that it utilises effects that force the enemy to deal half-damage and allow the user to half incoming damage to effectively quadruple the resist granted by the gambler’s armour. Unlike the previous build it requires party support and acts as a dedicated tank, being with a party allows the use of the inspiring presence traits to increase the amount of resist possessed (going by shielding presence granting 2 extra resist each instance increases the minimum damage to actually deal damage by 8 ). Requirements from party: Healing. Recommended: Shielding presence, PIP boosters for interrupts, additional weakening save-ends.

Last edited by Doc pseudopolis on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Life on the edge...

This bit of random insanity came from a moment where I was curious about what would happen if Gambler's Armor and Granite Axe. Along with the Who’s The Tank? trait you're sitting on 8 resistance before you get to damage halving options. From there, it's just a load or re-rolling option and temp HP so that you can just spam Strength of Stone. The other utility talents were casually picked but not focused on and it would love teammates with the new Crescendo. It's still dangerous to use but it's a weird way to get two mediocre options to be useful.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Had expected the challenge to possibly open up a bit of suggestion about the submitted builds but admittedly this was a little basic. I'll update with something more complex tomorrow but I'm curious if people think these should stay up a full week or not.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:28 am

Week 2

While Captain Planet certainly has a fair bit of infamy, the show has its fans and it's an example of the Five Man Band.  This week's challenge is to build The Planeteers.  This is something of a what if, designing them some years down the line as opposed to near the beginning when they got the rings.  Restrictions for this week:

• Level 9
  • Must build all five as a team:
    • Kwame (Earth)
    • Wheeler (Fire)
    • Linka (Wind)
    • Gi (Water)
    • Ma-Ti (Heart)

• Must use the LL racial build for humans
  • Level 3 Boon is All Aboard! (representing the Geocruiser or Eco Sub)

I do wonder how these will be since there's any number of interpretations of the team based on people's view of the show.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:53 am

The previous week was so unpopular to not even get a "that sucks" but I'll admit that building a full team at higher levels has a number of difficulties. This week I'm moving it back to singular entries and changing it to Ninjas. It can be either a named character like Donatello, Snake Eyes, Ryu Hayabusa, or perhaps a basic concept of a ninja designed to fit specific roles in a clan. Can be any level and while more focused on utility builds, this can include the combat half and any boons/destinies that would be available at higher levels. This week's challenges/restrictions are that it can't have Focused Evolution and that it must be a racial build from either the AoH or LL documents though it can be any of the races and reflavored as needed.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:15 am

Somewhat more historical ninja (Disguise and misdirection, level 1)
Attributes and racials (High Precision and Horse-sense):
Utilities, sans element:
Combat:

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down