Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 2 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  sunbeam Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:50 am

If I activate Snicker-Snack's Triple crit, can I choose to only activate 2 of my specials (for example, to avoid killing myself with Bucaneer Blaze backlash)?

[-7] Snicker-Snak! - Standard Attack
When you use this talent, choose one;
A) Deal 8d20 damage to target creature. If you roll a 20, you may activate all three of your special moves at once.
B) Deal 4d20 damage to target creature and all creatures adjacent to it. If you roll a 20, you may activate all three of your special moves at once.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 2 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:54 am

Yes, note that is says may. Also, activating a special move is always optional.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Sense Weakness
Targets suffering from (save ends) effects have vulnerability 2 against your attacks.
Does "targets" include only enemies, or does it include yourself and allies? How does this trait interact with attacks that inflict you with save ends (For instance, Blood Slash)? Do you receive Vuln 2 against yourself, if you have a save ends condition?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:20 am

I believe its used reflexively to mean "anyone you target that has the condition has vuln 2 against attacks". So if you target and ally or yourself with an attack, then yes.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:23 am

Correct.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:35 am

Kindulas wrote:
Bronymous wrote:
[-2] Condemn - Standard Utility
Target creature is subjected to your Condemnation (save ends). While subjected to your Condemnation, you deal 1d8 damage to the creature whenever it attacks.
Does this damage:
b) happen before the enemy attacks (as an interrupt) or after (as a reaction)?
2) It isn't clear, we'll have to ask what Dan's intention was, and he's even busier than normal lately
Bump for definite answer.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:36 am

I gave Kindulas permission to decide. I think it's more intuitive as a reaction though.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Bronymous wrote:I believe its used reflexively to mean "anyone you target that has the condition has vuln 2 against attacks". So if you target and ally or yourself with an attack, then yes.
Hmm, but Blood Slash doesn't actually target you (it targets the enemy, but you still get a ongoing damage effect).

And since stuff like the Gusher trait (more damage from having ongoing on self) doesn't activate on that same ability (damage comes before the ongoing), I'm not sure it would actually trigger the Sense Weakness vuln, unless you already have a save ends condition before using Blood Slash.

Shouldn't the trait have "creatures" or "enemies" instead of "targets", or the "you may apply" wording? Seems a bit silly that you'd be forced to trigger it when you don't want to (your character becomes a equal-opportunity sadist, apparently!).

"Ow! Why'd you hit me so hard?! I'm on your side!"
"Your weakness disgusts me."

Last edited by Zarhon on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Wording could definitely stand improving. Why don't you PM Kindulas about this Zarhon? He's in charge of errata updates atm.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:18 pm

What is "helpless"? I don't think it was ever truly and properly defined in the system.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Usually I'd say "unable to act." Sleeping, too wounded to move, or bound too tightly.
Mind Gamer
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Unable to defend oneself or escape. Mindgamer's pretty much right.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:48 pm

If I use Magic Makes it All complete to gain any utility talent for five minutes, and I take a talent with a prep time of 10 minutes, then I can't use the utility talent, can I?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Nope.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:08 pm

What if a talent has a prep time of one minute, but creates a lasting effect? Does the effect last until the Magic talent runs out, or until the talent runs out of time?
And what about a talent like Forcefield, which can be sustained with concentration? Can I sustain a forcefield for 4 hours if I only have the talent for 5 minutes?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Stairc wrote:Nope.
Everytime I see a super-succinct answer with no context, I visualize seeing it in one of those "out of context quotes" (although, I have to say that's a useful answer ... I had sorta wondered myself.)

So, since I'm bumping anyway, I've got a question I'm sure is answered properly in the documentation somewhere but I can't find it yet. Do 'specials' trigger more specials?

Namely, I thinking of Buccaneer Blaze. Let's say I get a 12; that lets me roll 3d10. Lets say I have to take 10 damage. Do I get to rip 2d8 out of an enemy out of sheer visceral rage at damaging myself? And thus potentially damage him again using his own techniques as my consolation prize?
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:16 pm

SparkImpulse wrote:So, since I'm bumping anyway, I've got a question I'm sure is answered properly in the documentation somewhere but I can't find it yet. Do 'specials' trigger more specials?
Any d8, d10 or d12 you roll for ne of your combat abilities can trigger your specials. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Bronymous wrote:
Kindulas wrote:
Bronymous wrote:
[-2] Condemn - Standard Utility
Target creature is subjected to your Condemnation (save ends). While subjected to your Condemnation, you deal 1d8 damage to the creature whenever it attacks.
Does this damage:
b) happen before the enemy attacks (as an interrupt) or after (as a reaction)?
2) It isn't clear, we'll have to ask what Dan's intention was, and he's even busier than normal lately
Bump for definite answer.
Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:I gave Kindulas permission to decide. I think it's more intuitive as a reaction though.
I don't care who answers. I just need an answer. It's already come up once in my game and will probably do so again.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Element master gives you a weight limit on how much of the substance you can manipulate, but is there a weight limit on how much force you can put on it? Say, you and your allies all climb a tree, and you want to lift the wood out of the ground. Is there a weight limit on that?

Element Master - 5/Day [Created by ZamuelNow]
Preparation Time: 5 Seconds
When you select this power choose a solid or liquid. This power may be taken multiple times, using a different substance each time. For example, you may choose water, metal, dirt, stone, glass, wood, plastic or oil. For the next ten minutes, you may mentally pick up or manipulate any number of inanimate objects made of your chosen substance that you can see and that are within fifty feet of you, so long as they are still in either solid or liquid form. You can only manipulate up to 200 lbs. of material at once. You may spend a magic point to increase the maximum weight limit to 1000 lbs for the next 10 minutes instead.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Rule it as a reaction for now Bronymous. It might change later. Or just go with whichever you like as the DM.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Reaction it is.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 2 Empty Found it!

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Just searched through players book, combat book, I've looked for it before too ...
EDIT: yep. Just like in other systems

"Saving throw" as per combat conditions like blind, stunned, etc.

In DnD-4E, it's "roll a D20 -- any double digit number is a success"

is that how Ponytales understands saving throws to work as well? I have yet to read that defined anywhere on this site, although of course I haven't dug *that* deep but still ... 10+ on 1d20 (+/- affecting conditions) is a successful save?

edit (again) quoting the combat book:

Save Ends - At the end of your turn, you must attempt a saving throw against all effects on you that say “save ends”. You roll for each effect individually unless the effect says otherwise. If you get a 10 or higher, the effect goes away. If not, you’ll have to try again next turn or wait until someone gives you a saving throw.

Thanks all!

Last edited by SparkImpulse on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : eyes! good for looking!)
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Yeah pretty much. I can't speak for the devs, but it seems to be intentional that it's not a 50/50 chance, because then you could just flip a coin (and then bonuses would be unusable).
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Bronymous wrote:it seems to be intentional that it's not a 50/50 chance
Somewhere I read the 4Ed explanation; double digit on a D20 works out to roughly 55% chance in your favor ... but yes more than that you can meaningfully tweak those chances in 5% increments.

So I had assumed that's what it was I was just surprised I hadn't found the definition. But I only recently found the rest of the keywords, too ... for some reason where Pony Tales(TM) puts them, confuses me.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:12 pm

...At the top of the document, before their actual uses are invoked?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next