Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild Worlds - A DM resources supplement. [Updated 20.02.]

+2
Philadelphus
Zarhon
6 posters

Go down

Wild Worlds - A DM resources supplement. [Updated 20.02.] Empty Wild Worlds - A DM resources supplement. [Updated 20.02.]

Post  Zarhon Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:01 pm

Wild Worlds - A DM resources supplement

LINK TO DOCUMENT

This is something I've decided to cook up. Basically, it's something like a DM scrapbook, full of DM-centric stuff meant to facilitate worldbuilding, creativity and DM-PC interactions (rewards, consequences, plot-speeding aspects, RPG cliches...) as they progress through campaigns.

Right now, it's missing about 90% of its content. Planned features include:

- Filling up most of the categories with at least 3-5 examples relevant to each category (some of the affliction ones might borrow or be similar to the "code blue" supplement, but wont focus on healing so much as how the effect comes to be / why it's bad)
- Templates/keywords for the various categories, so other people can make their own stuff relatively simply.
- An example 'laughter table' (among chaotic crazies), assuming the 'official' one doesn't come out sooner.
- If there's enough interest in this, a separate doc, free for all to edit / add to, for the purpose of making new stuff to be added into the main doc later - thus turning the doc into a universal "DM resources" repository.

Right now, only consumables are in a "refined" state. The rest will be added when time allows. Feel free to post feedback, opinions, or your own suggestions for things to add. This could/should be a full-forum participation thing.  Very Happy

Last edited by Zarhon on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Wild Worlds - A DM resources supplement. [Updated 20.02.] Empty Re: Wild Worlds - A DM resources supplement. [Updated 20.02.]

Post  Philadelphus Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:14 am

Seems like a great idea. I don't have anything to add at the moment, but good luck with it! If I think of something I'll post it.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Wild Worlds - A DM resources supplement. [Updated 20.02.] Empty Re: Wild Worlds - A DM resources supplement. [Updated 20.02.]

Post  Crystalite Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:43 am

This forum seriously needs a "Like" button.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Best advice I can give any GM... MAKE TIME TO PLAN FOR YOUR GAME'S FUTURE... Don't get too upset if the plans don't go the way you hoped, but hey, I've found that having NO plans (and not fixing that by getting some time to do some plan-theory-work) only stalls the game until you and your players fully run out of drive to get it going again. That was the killer of my one and only campaign I've run. Also that same problem mostly why I don't wish to really GM again anytime soon. Also I suggest that always try to reward a nat-20, even if it's just on a skill check. Find some way to give them some type of "you did extra-well" type of thing. While it doesn't always need to happen, just figure it's good practice to try and aim to give clear rewards for getting great luck.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Updated the doc!
- Added some of the "Unfortunate events" in detail, and template for it.
- Added a template for the above.
- Added names/flavor quotes for a lot of to-be-added-later injuries/maladies/blessings/etc.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Update, 25th!

- More maladies/curses added for Unfortunate events, reworded a few existing ones. Only injuries remain!
- Added a section at the bottom of the doc - "Helpful advice - for DM’s, by DMs and players", and added Xel's/Zam's advice!
- Added pictures!

I'm curious about feedback, by the way - any thoughts so far? Does it look useful?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:04 am

Zarhon wrote:Does it look useful?

Arguably, it's useful by default. More GM info is certainly needed for the system.

While a good piece of info, I feel mildly embarrassed by my meager two sentences. Not sure if I should keep it concise like that or hit the wall of text button. It's your guide, which do you think would be better?
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:54 am

Well you're free to offer more than one piece of advice, if you wish for me to expand it.  Very Happy  Concise might be better though, since it's easier to read (and thus more likely to be read/remembered/reviewed later) than a wall of text would be, unless you feel it's required (or wish to provide examples).

Yeah, it's useful by default, but only if anyone actually reads it / acknowledges it. You WHAT!? 
I can't really tell if that's happening or not, since nobody's offering criticism / saying anything.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Zarhon wrote:Yeah, it's useful by default, but only if anyone actually reads it / acknowledges it. You WHAT!? 
I can't really tell if that's happening or not, since nobody's offering criticism / saying anything.

I can more than understand the feeling. Work schedule, my own projects, and just generally being out of it is why I haven't commented much on it.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:19 pm

Crystalite wrote:This forum seriously needs a "Like" button.

I stand by this.

"On Fire" really me laugh, as did many of the other unfortunate effects.

"Artifacts", you say? Considering a certain campaign I know of is going to be chock full of them, I might be able/interested in helping with such a thing...
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:32 am

Update!

- Finished off the injuries!
- Added Resurrection Sickness, Curse of Desire.
- Added names/flavor/concepts for a number of Curses and Fortunate Favors.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:31 pm

Suggesting page numbers be added to the document's footers
Still showing the 25th for last updated
For Curse of Desire / Charm, shouldn't it be Perception (or even Streetwise) instead of Persuasion?
Hallucinations has a typo in the description
Combat Consumables shouldn't be the only ones that can recharged considering shopkeepers are mentioned as an option.
Levitating Lantern has a word wrap error in the description.
Lucky coin should have the "c" capitalized.
The Street With The Bar is probably my favorite entry so far but that's probably a side effect of my desire for information consumption and how long it is.

Consumable suggestion:
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:16 pm

Fixed the mentioned errors/typos, and added Zamuel's "Travel potion", slightly reworked, along with a number of upgrades.

For the Curse of Desire, it sort of depends on the effect - it's a generalization of the "Want it need it" spell, the "Evil seductress/enchantress charm", the "Faulty love potion" and/or the "Brainwashing Mind Control" tropes.

Nice to hear about the bar - yeah, it's a bit verbose, but more details should be more helpful to the DM. Planning on adding a few more such "detailed" things.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:45 am

Gosh, you made the travel spell totally less first draft and lolbroken. I actually made a reflavored version of of this for an NPC and figured it would be worth suggesting, though the NPC lacked the restriction a player should have.

Zarhon wrote:For the Curse of Desire, it sort of depends on the effect - it's a generalization of the "Want it need it" spell, the "Evil seductress/enchantress charm", the "Faulty love potion" and/or the "Brainwashing Mind Control" tropes.

Thing is, Persuasion feels quite weird. The reason why other checks allow dueling opposed Persuasion checks is the mindset of "takes one to know one". A liar can spot other liars and two characters using intimidation and try to out muscle pose each other in a sort of threat battle. On a magic spell it seems a bit odd since it's not a normal opposed roll since it's being applied to an object instead of more directly trying to counter the user/caster.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:10 pm

New update!
- Finished ALL the unfinished entries in the Unfortunate Events AND the Fortunate Favors section!

Next steps on the list:
- Adding more World-Builder's Backscratchers entries.
- More consumables.
- More Fortunate Favors and Chaotic Crazies sections, as those are lacking in content.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Gift of Wisdom wrote:The player gains a +10 bonus to all knowledge checks, and suffers no situational penalties due to lacking tools/materials, or methodology employed, to achieve a skill checks.

'skill check' should be singular.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:14 am

Want to give a shout-out to how imaginative your work is Zarhon. While we can't always figure out a way to make every one of your ideas work mechanically, we always love reading them no matter what.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Update!

- Added some more combat and non-combat items.
- Added/finished some new NPCs, Artifacts, and World Features to the "World Builder's Backscratchers".

Technically, the Wild Worlds supplement's 'core' is done. From here on, I can just add more entries to the existing categories, or edit the current ones for balance/technicalities.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:53 pm

I need to do a proper re-read of it but the new material looks quite good.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:27 pm

For the Helpful advice - for DMs, by DMs and players section:

One thing that's often useful is putting all of the players' skills on a table or spreadsheet. It allows you to view them all at the same time for when you're planning group or individual skill challenges, making it easier to adjust the difficulty.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down