Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paper Shadow's Ability Expansion

5 posters

Go down

Paper Shadow's Ability Expansion Empty Paper Shadow's Ability Expansion

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:38 pm

Many moons ago, I started work on an Ability Expansion. It was inked in my own blood and contained madness of which would make even the most clueless wannabe developer fall into a coma. However, in a moment of sanity, I realised what I was going to unleash onto the world. Also I was told the new system was going to come soon. So I locked it away with the Eternity Vault, where it will never see the light of day again. I believed that the vault would protect all the vile and insane ideas locked within...

But I was wrong...

Recently I obtained an envelope marked with the wax seal of the dragon, to be used only for important news and emergencies. Inside the letter merely read the following: "The Vault Has Been Attacked." Needless to say I rushed, my heart hoping that the situation had been contained, but it dropped at the sight of the once-majestic vault door shattered, its mighty plate scattered around the landscape as I approached the mountain it was build into. I made my way inside, stepping around the corpses of followers and friends, only to find it bare of anything. It had been completely ransacked. The only tool of overpoweredness that remained was the most recent addition; my own Ability Expansion. I wept right there and then, for my people, for our future...

It was at this point my family stepped in, concerned about my mental help ever since I started pretending such things existed, told me to stop crying and just release the damn thing...

And so, I leave my deathly burden upon you, mighty warriors. Inside you will find a wide range of ability and upgrades for your arsenals, ranging from the modest one-point tricks to massive juggernauts of power. I have also included the three virtues that led me as I descended into a realm of impossibility; Diligence, Leadership, and Chaos, the latter of which taunts in its whispers to me about how unfriendly it is towards players playing the game in real life, but knowing what laid in the Eternity Vault, and now within the hands of people who surely have no idea what they are getting themselves into, I must provide you with whatever I can...

Paper Shadow's Ability Expansion

I pray that you may one day forgive me...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Paper Shadow's Ability Expansion Empty Re: Paper Shadow's Ability Expansion

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:14 pm

Some of these are pretty neat. But I have a question- what are these virtues from?
Diligence: If the ability you use Diligence on is an X/Day ability, it does not expend a use, and for the rest of the day that ability has no preparation time.
Leadership: You may use Leadership on any ability that is activatable and targets creatures.
Chaos: You draw three cards instead of one, and choose which one takes effect. In addition, you may choose a second card. That card also takes effect.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:18 pm

-Oops needs to be an At-Will. That said, it's an intriguingly clever idea.
-Practice Makes Perfect feels rather inexpensive for what it does to some Abilities.
-Arcane Purify states the prerequisite is Magic Immunity instead of Repel Magic
-"You can an extra use of Stoneskin every day." should probably be "You gain an extra use of Stoneskin every day."
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:03 am

Bronymous wrote:Some of these are pretty neat. But I have a question- what are these virtues from?
Diligence: If the ability you use Diligence on is an X/Day ability, it does not expend a use, and for the rest of the day that ability has no preparation time.
Leadership: You may use Leadership on any ability that is activatable and targets creatures.
Chaos: You draw three cards instead of one, and choose which one takes effect. In addition, you may choose a second card. That card also takes effect.
They are literally on the next page... Razz

ZamuelNow wrote:-Oops needs to be an At-Will. That said, it's an intriguingly clever idea.
-Practice Makes Perfect feels rather inexpensive for what it does to some Abilities.
-Arcane Purify states the prerequisite is Magic Immunity instead of Repel Magic
-"You can an extra use of Stoneskin every day." should probably be "You gain an extra use of Stoneskin every day."
I will go ahead and make wording changes and fixes. I won't change Practice Makes Perfect yet, but I'll keep a close eye on it and check on what abilities it can be used on that might make it far too strong...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:03 am

Must say... THE HUNT! is the best idea I've ever seen... Such an upgrade for both of those talents to be linked... Could make them both seem like actual options to even use. I've never really seen either of those talents used at all. (once took Sent Tracker, but never used it on that character) Ninjutsu Techniques is also a neat idea...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:19 am

Oh ok, apparently I missed that last page- along with Alter Ego, which is phenomenal in that it is exactly the ability I had been looking for for Phoenix, after the old Changeling's Trickery was phased out. Too bad my games with Phoenix have all died off, I would have asked to use it.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:27 am

I think your Phoenix character is cursed to DOOM ALL THE GAMES he is apart of...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 am

I don't doubt it. Between him and Flashpoint it seems like any time I try and play my favorite characters the game takes a hard left into a brick wall after a week or so. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop speccing them for new games every chance I get, though, and that one is kind of perfect... after a few levels at least. Get some extra Ability points, and the Numinexis can be a thing to work up to- if the game ever gets that far.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:56 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Must say... THE HUNT! is the best idea I've ever seen... Such an upgrade for both of those talents to be linked... Could make them both seem like actual options to even use. I've never really seen either of those talents used at all. (once took Sent Tracker, but never used it on that character) Ninjutsu Techniques is also a neat idea...
Thanks for your comments. I've been trying to come up with flavoursome combinations that use some of the less popular abilities. Some of you may remember my CCC/Villainous Laughter Combo. When my schedule clears up, maybe I'll conjure up some more...

Bronymous wrote:Oh ok, apparently I missed that last page- along with Alter Ego, which is phenomenal in that it is exactly the ability I had been looking for for Phoenix, after the old Changeling's Trickery was phased out. Too bad my games with Phoenix have all died off, I would have asked to use it.
Glad you like it. R.I.P. In Pepperonis Games with Phoenix in...

Bronymous wrote:...after a few levels at least. Get some extra Ability points...
This reminded me to do a thing...

Change Log
  • Fixed some wording issues with Oops, Arcane Purify, and Stone Armour.
  • Added Evolved Alter Ego, mostly so you can keep your Alter Ego strong as you gain more ability points.
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:24 am

Y'know what I would like to see?

I Can Do This All Day (X)
Choose one of your X/Day talents. This ability costs the same as that ability. You have twice as many uses per day of that talent as normal.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:43 pm

While I won't be using that form of it, tying Virtue of Chaos to card suits is actually kinda brilliant.  Might be worth opening VoC discussion about tying it to non d100 sets such as simply coming up with a solid 20 for a d20.

For Aghanim’s Scepter
Tenacity: Fully recharges the use of up to five X/Day abilities instead, and you may restore the uses of one of an ally’s X/Day abilities as one of your four.

Shouldn't that be five instead of four?
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:20 pm

I think having two or three options for CHAOS to mechanically have... Is fitting of chaos itself.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:40 am

Crystalite wrote:Y'know what I would like to see?

I Can Do This All Day (X)
Choose one of your X/Day talents. This ability costs the same as that ability. You have twice as many uses per day of that talent as normal.
While I'm sure there are some individual cases which makes this a tricky idea, I think the main clash this has is with Virtue of Tenacity, since that would make it simultaneously pointless (since your suggestion basically does its job but cheaper) and ridiculously powerful (because taking both this and Tenacity means you effectively 4x the uses of a X/Day, causing things like 8/Day Flash Teleport, 4/Day Dirty Looks (boosted by Hex), or 12/Day Lead By Example)...

ZamuelNow wrote:For Aghanim’s Scepter
Tenacity: Fully recharges the use of up to five X/Day abilities instead, and you may restore the uses of one of an ally’s X/Day abilities as one of your four.

Shouldn't that be five instead of four?
I like it how you assume that the smaller number is wrong...

But yes, it should be five. I will fix it post haste...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down