Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion

+2
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
6 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion

Post  Zarhon Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:05 pm

You know what time it is, y'all!

The episode where Larson ruins everything.:

So! Wow. This episode, for all it's 'mild' appearance, is pretty damn deep as far as it's psychology goes.
Spoiler:

In non-psychology stuff:
- The moral is very in-tune with what kids need to learn: Coping with the loss of a pet. Real subject, lessened in severity, but still treated seriously.

- Slippers! Adorable tank/Dashie slippers.

- An absolutely fantastic portrayal of the 'whos on first' joke. Which is surprising it took so long, given how perfect the setting is for that kind of thing!

- More insight on weather-crafting stuff!

- Dashie gets away with a complete act of terrorism with zero casualties! Hooray! The only real nonsensical part of this episode.

- Apparently, cloud houses are as secure as a wet blanket. Robbing a pegasus must be ludicrously easy. Or Pinkie cannot be contained by mere clouds. We also learn that the houses are probably stable enough to support non-pegasi, or that the Mane Six have a good method of reaching her home (balloon? Wingpower?).

- A look into Spike's new room!

- Angel needs to hibernate as well, as well as the tea-sipping bear. So, Fluttershy is pretty lonely during that time, other animals notwithstanding.

- Moar Daring Do book cover! This one without a title and pretty blurry, though.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh, The Places You'll Go - S5 Pony Discussion

Post  Cardbo Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:30 pm

Rainbow Dash confirmed for Crazy Cat Turtle Lady later in life.
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:15 am

I was not expecting anything from Tanks for the Memories, but damn was I wrong. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who got the impression that the episode was "about" Tank dying.

TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:03 pm

I feel like this was a water-tester by the showrunners to see how they could broach into real-world subjects like death, and I can't say I'm sure they pulled it off or not. Throughout the episode they put every effort into insisting that Tank was just going into hibernation, no mention made of death of any kind. Then though, if you take it at face value, you have an entirely out of character reaction from Rainbow Dash, at least in my opinion. Like your friend is going on a trip for summer or something, Tank's just going to not be around for a little bit, and Rainbow completely loses it? It doesn't make sense, unless we accept that she and the rest of the mane 6 are still basically children. That, or she has the object permanence of a dog. Utilizing the 5 stages of Grief also drives home the hint at death, but again, since it isn't a permanent situation, they don't fit quite right.

Coming from this, especially in the Denial Stage, wherein Dash refuses to say "Hibernation"- because apparently its so tragic- then the show itself backtracks on itself. While everyone else is being sympathetic to the death of a pet that isn't actually happening, Twilight outright has no idea what the fuss is about. She is written in a way that undermines the entire theme of helping a friend cope with loss, which seems counterproductive. If the episode was about loss and/or death, you would think she would follow along a little better in contrivance, like the others, rather than diametrically oppose their sympathy with the logic of a viewer.

It seems to me like they wanted to introduce a heavy subject, but were unwilling to use heavy subject matter, and the result was confusing at best. All that aside, though, it was still a very entertaining episode, even if the "Winter is Coming" line gave me a concussion from facedesking so hard.

A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:49 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:It seems to me like they wanted to introduce a heavy subject, but were unwilling to use heavy subject matter, and the result was confusing at best. All that aside, though, it was still a very entertaining episode, even if the "Winter is Coming" line gave me a concussion from facedesking so hard.
I don't think it's a matter of "unwilling" so much as "not allowed to by Hasbro/higher-ups". It's still a kids show in the long run, and they've intentionally avoided even mentioning death (the closest was Dash yelling at Lightning Dust how she almost 'destroyed' her friends) so far. It's implied, of course, that it's there (AJ's parents, a funeral, the implied consequences of the various villains...), but they can't quite break the ice without 'moral guardians' freaking out or something, or the apparent risk of kiddies 'learning' about death. Given such restrictions, it's close enough to be recognizable or relate-able for the moral.

The "Winter is Coming" is entirely Larson's fault.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat May 02, 2015 8:42 pm

New episode! Now with more AJ being overshadowed by a background character!

Have some more carefully-spoilered messages.
Spoiler:
Also an embed.

So, what did we learn this episode?

- Cutie Marks show up when you 'realize' what your destiny/future will be, but not necessarily when you realize how that will come to pass.

- Cutie Marks can make private life miserable if you don't obey them. Those janitor ponies got it rough.

- A new type of pony 'build'! Big Mac is no longer the token 'big guy', as this one is modeled after a realistic horse!

- Sweetie Belle is improving her magic!

- AJ will always get the spotlight stolen from her. ALWAYS.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun May 03, 2015 12:15 pm

Going to go out on a limb here and venture that CMC do get their cutie-marks this season. They have been building up to it. This is already the second episode this season featuring them, and frankly I can't really see them dragging it out for any longer.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun May 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Cardbo wrote:Going to go out on a limb here and venture that CMC do get their cutie-marks this season.  They have been building up to it.  This is already the second episode this season featuring them, and frankly I can't really see them dragging it out for any longer.
Between the 1st/2nd, 4th, and 6th episode, it would seem that Cutie Marks are a core feature of this season. However, it might be just an overload of CMC episodes at the front. I mean, just look at the last season. Remember the buildup to the Equestrian Games which just turned out to be Spike At Your Service 2? Or the whole "episodes with a ponies name in it = they get their key in that episode" theory?

I would not put it pass the writers to dangle a string in front of the audience and pull a bait and switch...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed May 06, 2015 2:58 pm

The show's creators already revealed that the season will feature 'Cutie Mark Magic' as a central or overarching theme for Season 5.

As for whether the CMC will actually get their cutie marks? Depends. These few early episodes were already hype-inducing that the CMC might get their cutie marks, and the previews were also pretty trolly/debunked on the subject.

Not to mention that it would mean the writers have to make a new 'gimmick' for the CMC, get them to grow out of 'dangerously-irresponsible-actions-for-cutie-marks' as a easy comic relief method. Unless their club expands for more members and they become 'mentors' of sorts, of course. They even sort of 'enforced' this with the last dream episode, allowing for more leeway for the writers to keep them blank-flanks.

But at the same time, we know that the show isn't afraid of making changes to the status quo (Twilight's wings, her new castle, losing the Elements of Harmony...), so it's not implausible that they're saving it for a finale.

But it's likely either going to be:
a) Spread over three episodes (one for each, presumably when they can't interfere/interact with each other, akin to how Spike's pet-sitting was handled). This is unlikely though, since that can wreak havoc on the season for those cases when episodes are aired in a random/incorrect order for that season, leading to discontinuity or unintended spoilers for future airings.
b) Condensed into a single one (finale or penultimate episode, all three get them at once).

It's also a possibility that the same reveal will include:
- Scootaloo getting over her flying-handicap for good (as seen in dream).
- A reveal of what Applebloom's talent is actually supposed to be (it's vague and possibilities are pretty wide, so far).
- Sweetie Belle's doing something big/cool/amazing with her in-training horn magic. It's quite possible that Sweetie Belle will get 'dragged' to her Cutie Mark, just like her sister was!
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat May 16, 2015 7:45 pm

After a two-week break, it's finally time for a new episode! This week, we have Discord in the spotlight!

Snappy Episode Commentary!
Spoiler:

So, quick notes!

- Celestia's attitude and scheme is both terrifying and refreshing. Can't help but feel like it's foreshadowing a descent into madness. She also proves rather anti-potent, along with the Mane Six.

- Against all odds, the CMC didn't ruin a public, formal event. They also come along with their sisters and family surrogates.

- The segment of the party seemed a bit... drawn out. Lots of focus on Discord's juvenile rage, whilst good for the plot, isn't all that entertaining after you've seen it several times already, and the 'stand up comedy' segment was too painful for artistic/entertainment purposes. Discord was surprisingly non-chaotic for its procession as well - up to a point, at least.

- Smooze picks up on Discord's lack of funny with his distracting innocent antics.

- Discord is a major douche again, but apparently that's okay because he is so detached from reality he doesn't understand basic principles. Welp.

- Tree Hugger! She's a hippie! Yup. Can't tell if I like her for her lines, or just how surprisingly well her blatant, over-the-top stereotyping puts her in the same background-pony boat as Maud.

- The Pink One proves yet again to be a horrifying prospect for a Chaos Spawn, and yearns for the day she will claim your soul.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat May 16, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm roughly... 8 minutes into the episode, and my brain is shutting down from all the references and cameos. Firstly, the Gala is happening again, and with Twilight sharing the responsibilities this year it seems Celestia managed to find a dress to wear this time. Discord is Discord, but oh my god he brought the smooze to the gala. What.

This episode is nuts.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun May 17, 2015 1:52 am

>_>

<_<

And no mentioned the Metal Gear Solid reference?
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun May 17, 2015 6:21 am

Cardbo wrote:>_>

<_<

And no mentioned the Metal Gear Solid reference?
Zarhon wrote:- Dang, guess he'll have to reset the episode now.
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun May 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Oh yeah, that too. Sorry, mind was incredibly blown. Hard to find all the pieces.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon May 18, 2015 3:04 pm

So, seeing how the season is now one quarter over, any opinions on how the season as a whole has been turning out?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat May 23, 2015 11:49 pm

New episode! Now with a metric butt-tonne of continuity and griffon material! (Pony Tales players, make sure to greed-up your griffons appropriately)

For those wanting commentary, have a spoiler tag with far too much text.
Spoiler:

And the TLDR version:

- Gummy is adorable but useless.

- Twilight Sparkle is pretty well mocked this episode, and apparently she's grown to join the griffony fandom. Poor girl can't get a break these days.

- Pinkie Pie and baking powder sales pitch save the day! Lots of fun scenes from her in general, and she saves the day!

- Rainbow Dash gets to be the damsel this episode, and as is to be expected, is 'wrong' compared to Pinkie Pie.

- We have another 'confirmed' death of a creature, namely of the Arimaspi monster. It arguably got a better deal than Sombra, though.
- Gilda returns! Much more snarky than before, but justified given the conditions she lives in.

- Gilda origins! They're adorable.

- Gilda friendship missionary/ambassadorship get! Now we can have a griffon-oriented spinoff show!

- Griffon society! Apparently, Griffonstone is a shit-hole full of racist greedy stereotypes.

- New griffon designs/clothing!
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun May 24, 2015 12:06 am

I think you missed the part where Twilight named Griffonstone as a greater and better Kingdom than Equestria, which I'm sure pleases the almighty hell out of Sunbutt. Also, we know what the Griffon Kingdoms are called now. Kinda wish the huge goat demon (read: basically Satan) had more screen time. And there was no reason they couldn't have grabbed the idol once Gilda pulled them up.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun May 24, 2015 1:11 am

A1C Bronymous wrote:I think you missed the part where Twilight named Griffonstone as a greater and better Kingdom than Equestria, which I'm sure pleases the almighty hell out of Sunbutt. Also, we know what the Griffon Kingdoms are called now. Kinda wish the huge goat demon (read: basically Satan) had more screen time. And there was no reason they couldn't have grabbed the idol once Gilda pulled them up.
Well they were kinda pride filled so I think that's just the book author making the history look way nice. They were pretty up-stuck on being 'greater than everyone' (grandpa's words) with that idol which essentially just made them super-proud somehow. Basically half of their 'great culture' was based on being snobs who refuse to accept any help or acknowledge that something's wrong. They probably had an economic depression during their 'golden age' as well.

The idol kinda fell into what might be an actual abyss/bottomless pit, and none of them would be able to fly (let alone climb) safely. Dashie was injured to boot, and it might have been too difficult to find the idol afterwards (if it was intact after the fall).

The goat's an Arimaspi, apparently. It's probably too OP for the Mane Six to fight whilst maintaining a friendship lesson. Heck, griffons couldn't fight it, and they're metal as heck.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun May 24, 2015 1:27 am

I meant they could have grabbed it off the ledge as they were pulled up 3.5 inches away from it, instead of staring at it for 10 seconds and then watching fall into the big hole.

The show has set the precedent for fighting almighty demons with pure actual offensive magic, instead of friendship cannons, but I actually meant more screentime in the historical/mythological context. @/3 of the mane 6 weren't there and Twilight wasn't hulking off of the powers of 3 other alicorns, AND still no new Elements to use, so I don't think they would have had a shot against him either.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun May 24, 2015 3:05 am

- Very literal Friend or Idol Decision

Apart from that, Griffons seem to have a Mongolian type of culture with some Russian and Himilayan influences. If this weren't a kids show, I wouldn't be surprised is the Griffins consumed large amounts of Vodka.

Alternately, Diamond Dogs are no longer the fantasy Dwarves of Equestria, Griffons are.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun May 24, 2015 6:51 am

A1C Bronymous wrote:I meant they could have grabbed it off the ledge as they were pulled up 3.5 inches away from it, instead of staring at it for 10 seconds and then watching fall into the big hole.
Losing the idol was symbolism for Gilda losing her greedy desires, choosing the path of friendship instead. Or something like that...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun May 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Yes, but it was STUPID. Porque no los dos? Not only would she have proven her capability of friendship, but if she returned with the Idol AND offered up the new scones, she could have become Twilight Sparkle Griffon and begun spreading the good news and friendships across Griffonstone far more quickly. As it stands, she herself is more friendly but Griffonstone as a whole will not have improved much from her handing out free scones- at least not for a long time before griffons figure out the whole "one good turn" idea.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Last edited by Paper Shadow on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Might want to spoiler that, Paper. If only because it's huge.

Anyway, have the usual video and discussion for what's the Best Episode Fandom Ever Forever (BEFEF).

In sum: Wow. Just wow.

Wordtalky commentary.
Spoiler:

TLDR notes of things of relevance:
Secrets and liessss:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Tonight's episode has been brought to you by 'the universe hates Spike'.

Commentary!
Spoiler:

Short-notes summary of episode:
- Cadence has not-evil-good crystal-conjuring and/or petrification powers now.

- Another episode that beats down on Spike, arguably the worst kind so far! It starts off with him trying to make the most of a bad/doomed to fail situation (effectively, the plot worked to make him fail with no alternatives), escalating into him diverging into stupidity and bad choices to try and fix it (given his situation, what else could he do?), and then having a minor and completely inconsequential tangent of him abusing it (none of his 'abusive' acts cause the end disaster - in fact, it was pure bad luck / Spike-is-a-chewtoy-clause that caused any disaster at all!) and ending with him getting the short end of the stick with no real redeeming value. The moral seems to appear on several points early in the episode, centered on Spike, to then diversify into the pony crowd at the very end.

- The initial 'interruption' scene is mimicked by Spike's 'apology' speech, effectively delivering a moral for the ponies being so princess-centric.

- Chainsaws, mimes, and hooves: how do they work?

- More weird flora. This time, a 'Dragonsneeze' tree, designed to make Spike's life miserable.

- Cadence proves to be a MVP this episode, catching on to Spike's stupid stuff and calling him out on it, before any of the disasters even happened.

- The episode was pretty bland and not very entertaining. Spike isn't really pulling much humor besides the cemented fact that everything goes wrong around him and that he can't fix it effectively, and nothing besides Twilights few dorky moments and the Fargo-pony stands out as memorable or amusing. So far, it has my vote as the worst episode of this season for being so blatantly Spike-abusive (he actually did pretty well, for a time, but the weird writing put a quick stop to that. He was given no alternatives save a delayed/prolonged failure).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next