Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hybrid Destiny

4 posters

Go down

Hybrid Destiny Empty Hybrid Destiny

Post  Demonu Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:46 pm

So here's an idea that sprang to mind while going over the Superhero Destiny

Hybrid
My child, the time has come for you to know the true story of your life. I wish I could have told you sooner but you were still so little, so young, so innocent. As you've grown older, you must have realized that you're different from the others. You don't know why or you don't know how but you're special, unique in every way. For you see, my child, your father was actually...

Upon choosing this Destiny, choose a PC race other than your current one. From now on, that will be your paternal bloodline and heritage.

- Mixed Parentage
You've always suspected you were a tad different from the rest and now you know why. Upon hearing the true story behind your life, you start to explore your new heritage. You can now choose Utility Talents of your paternal race.

- Your strenght has been doubled
When exploring your newfound abilities, you continue to draw more upon your parental blood. You receive all the racial abilities of your paternal race.

- Better than the original
You've fully grown into your newfound powers and have accepted that you're among the most unique creatures in the world. Combining the blood of your two races, you've become more powerful than either of them alone. Choose a Daily Utility Talent from both your maternal and paternal race. You can now use those twice a day instead of once.

The last one clearly needs thinkering but this is just a rough idea I'm throwing out here.

NOTE: this cannot make you alicorns or draconequus, for obvious reasions.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Hybrid Destiny Empty Re: Hybrid Destiny

Post  Philadelphus Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Given the genetics seen in Baby Cakes, it would seem that mixing different types of ponies doesn't produce hybrids, it just randomizes what type the children will be. This is definitely a very interesting idea, but I'm going to have to mull it over some more before I can really comment on it.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 pm

You know, I literally posted the idea to get a second race's racials in the Super Pony thread precisely 1 hour and 10 minutes before you posted your ideas here.

-I'm not blaming you, but that's not gonna stop me from typing the following:

I beat ya to it! ;P

But yeah, I think this means we both agree that racial fusion should exist in some form or another. Whether it would be better as it's own destiny (as you have here), or as part of the super-hero pony destiny - I'm not really sure.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:27 pm

So here's an idea that sprang to mind while going over the Superhero Destiny

Don't know yet about the level 7 tier. All racial abilities seems broken as that gives you 3 or more abilities at once but 1 seems a bit lacking. Anyway, still far from being perfect.

Hybrid
My child, the time has come for you to know the true story of your life. I wish I could have told you sooner but you were still so little, so young, so innocent. As you've grown older, you must have realized that you're different from the others. You don't know why or you don't know how but you're special, unique in every way. For you see, my child, your father was actually...

Upon choosing this Destiny, choose a PC race other than your current one. From now on, that will be your paternal bloodline and heritage.

- Mixed Parentage
You've always suspected you were a tad different from the rest and now you know why. Upon hearing the true story behind your life, you start to explore your new heritage. You can now choose Utility Talents of your paternal race.

- Your strenght has been doubled
When exploring your newfound abilities, you continue to draw more upon your parental blood. You receive (all/one?) racial abilities of your paternal race.

- Better than the original
You've fully grown into your newfound powers and have accepted that you're among the most unique creatures in the world. Combining the blood of your two races, you've become more powerful than either of them alone. Choose a Daily Utility Talent from both your maternal and paternal race. You can now use those twice a day instead of once.

The last one clearly needs thinkering but this is just a rough idea I'm throwing out here.

NOTE: this cannot make you alicorns or draconequus, for obvious reasions.

Last edited by Demonu on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 pm

How does this work with hippogriffs?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:26 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:How does this work with hippogriffs?
As written, I suppose?

The most optimal build I see so far is Changeling/Griffon, meaning you can take utility talents from Changeling/Whatever (mother) and Griffon/Pegasus (father)

It still needs some fleshing out but I believe it has potential. Of course, I have been proven wrong before... Smile
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Demonu wrote:Don't know yet about the level 7 tier. All racial abilities seems broken as that gives you 3 or more abilities at once but 1 seems a bit lacking.
Easiest way to fix that is to add something else, make it 1 racial talent plus...I dunno, 1 free utility talent from that race? Also, pegasi and unicorns only have two racial abilities. And one of them for unicorns is just another talent.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Philadelphus wrote:
Demonu wrote:Don't know yet about the level 7 tier. All racial abilities seems broken as that gives you 3 or more abilities at once but 1 seems a bit lacking.
Easiest way to fix that is to add something else, make it 1 racial talent plus...I dunno, 1 free utility talent from that race? Also, pegasi and unicorns only have two racial abilities. And one of them for unicorns is just another talent.
Yes but I'm talking about things like the Griffon/Hippogriff racials that automatically lets you take Pegasus talents, Changeling racial Favorite Form that let you take utility talents from 1 race and a second one at level five or (baby) dragon that gives you 4 racial talents.

With certain builds, you could end up with a lot of racial talents and a lot of utility talents to choose from. Of course, that's kind of the point but the min/max-ing aspect has a great potential in this destiny.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:41 am

Personally, I still would rather put the racial ability cocktail idea into the super hero destiny, as Philadelphus did have a good point about the baby Cakes being one type of pony each, even though they had a mix of blood from all three branches of ponykind. Also, I figure that if we do decide to have, for instance, "half dragon ponies" in the future, that would be a new race, not necessarily a new destiny.

-Either way though, I don't really see a Lvl 7 ability being overpowered if it gives a PC all the racial abilities of a secondary race. It sounds like just about the right level of awesome to me. Keep in mind that most of the races only have one really powerful racial ability. The others are just supposed to be icing.

XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:45 am

It could be reworked as a Hybrid of a non-pony race and a pony race but that way, we're putting way too many specifics on it.

And I don't really like to implement mixed races in the Superhero destiny. Last time I checked, it sounded merely as the PC becoming half changeling.

Anyway, the idea is out there, it just needs some thinkering.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down