Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medieval pony ranged weapons?

+4
Cainx13
Jason Shadow
SilentBelle
Fallow Field
8 posters

Go down

Medieval pony ranged weapons? Empty Medieval pony ranged weapons?

Post  Fallow Field Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Okay, Fallout Equestria is an awesome fusion fic of My Little Pony and the Fallout franchise and as such featured ponies with guns. They apparently had special trigger mechanisms to make them usable so its all good.

However, I've been sort of thinking of writing a crossover with Skyrim (no promises on how good it would be) and I've been trying to think of what sorts of ranged weapons might be in use. Unicorns obviously could use bows and arrows, crossbows, or any other sort of tool but I'm curious about ideas on what earth ponies or pegasai might use.

Rough ideas so far:

Blow guns - A hollow reed or other tube used to fire small darts. Low damage, but the darts can be coated in poison/disease or have barbs in them. (likely brought in from foreign lands)

Catapults - More of a siege weapon, but could have small 'portable' ones that hefty earth ponies lug in and use to launch rocks, pumpkins or bombs.

Bow and Arrow - Just like normal but might incorporate some sort of grips for the hooves (though I'm sure folks won't mind if it's handwaved that hooves can grip things like bows and arrows and function normally). Of course, ponies training in archery would have to balance on their hind legs to take aim which could limit its use.

Sling - Using a sling to fire bullets, requires timing and speed to do so.

Tail Sling - A sling designed to be used on a ponies tail. Applejack can do rope tricks with her tail so a few ponies might be able to fire bullets that way.

Tossing and kicking - Just throw things at the enemy or buck rocks at them. Probably the most common ranged attack.

I'm sure pegasai are more likely to just drop things on ground-based targets or rush in to use melee weapons (like spears or blades on their hooves or wings). Or they could just use normal earth pony weapons and use their wings to take the high ground.

Fallow Field
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Medieval pony ranged weapons? Empty Re: Medieval pony ranged weapons?

Post  SilentBelle Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:00 pm

How about whips? If AJ can use a rope that well, then I could see a whip being used quite readily. (Though it's more of a reach weapon than a ranged weapon).

Maybe explosive/unstable potions, like a firebomb or alchemist fire

A bola?

I'm actually kind of curious as to what purpose the weapons are going to have in the game. Are they just flavourful? Or does each pony get an additional Weapon talent or two along-side their normal combat moves?
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Shadow Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Hmm... How well do you think a pony could throw a chakram using its mouth?
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cainx13 Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:06 pm

Batista. Pull the rope to fire that and you have a good sized arrow flying at the target.
Cainx13
Cainx13
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:48 am

Cainx13 wrote:Batista. Pull the rope to fire that and you have a good sized arrow flying at the target.
Jose Bautista? Like the pitcher guy? Razz
You meant "Ballista," right? The medieval siege weapon.
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 am

Fallow Field wrote:Unicorns obviously could use bows and arrows, crossbows, or any other sort of tool but I'm curious about ideas on what earth ponies or pegasai might use.

One, fancy word: arbalest.

An arbalest is basically a user-friendly crossbow; see, the normal crossbow is a PAIN to cock. An arbalest has a lever on it that you pull back. And then some of them also had a hopper on top that fed the arrows into place for you. This, combined with with something like the trigger mentioned in the Fallout Equestria fic, would make a crossbow relatively easy for other ponies to use (Though only for so long. I think.)
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  Greywander Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:49 am

Greywander
Greywander
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteeyes Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:43 pm

One fic I read had Pegasus archers. Their bows where kinda strapped to their back hooves and they used their mouths and backs to draw the arrows while in flight. Strictly speaking, if this where physically possible (but hey, magic ponies with tiny wings that walk on clouds) this would be a pretty ideal bowing method as it would allow for the drawing of full body length arrows and add gravity as a tergeting aid instead of hinderance. Heck, IRL there was a siege bow that would be used by people laying on their backs who would straighten out their bodies to launch what where basically spears fom large bows. You needed to be stupidly strong to do it though, which is why ballista where invented.
Whiteeyes
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down