Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need help on my fan-pony's backstory Please Help

+3
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
vexx1313
7 posters

Go down

I need help on my fan-pony's backstory    Please Help Empty I need help on my fan-pony's backstory Please Help

Post  vexx1313 Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:05 pm

i cant figure out the rest of my fan-pony's backstory
vexx1313
vexx1313
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

I need help on my fan-pony's backstory    Please Help Empty Re: I need help on my fan-pony's backstory Please Help

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Well give us a link to what you got and we'll see what we can do.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

I need help on my fan-pony's backstory    Please Help Empty my fan-pony

Post  vexx1313 Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:17 pm

this is what i have so far:
My pony is completely insane and he loves killing things. He is also mute. My pony ((witch i haven't figured out a name for yet)) was abandoned at birth in an evil swamp. He is an almost black Pegasus pony with grey eyes and pointy teeth (he got them pointy because he is an omnivore). He is chaotic evil and also sort of a canable

i hope someone can help me

Vexx1313
vexx1313
vexx1313
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

I need help on my fan-pony's backstory    Please Help Empty Re: I need help on my fan-pony's backstory Please Help

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 pm

It sounds like you have the basics fairly fleshed out. Is there something specific you are looking for, or do you just want what you have to be more detailed (or narrated, etc)?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  vexx1313 Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:16 pm

i really don't know. this is my first character Ive ever made. Ive never even played DnD or much role-playing at all.
i have played oblivion if thats any help

basically I'm a noob
vexx1313
vexx1313
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  vexx1313 Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:42 pm

i also need help with pretty much everything about him

has anyone thought of a name for him?

Vexx1313
vexx1313
vexx1313
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:46 pm

vexx1313 wrote:This is what I have so far:
My pony is completely insane and he loves killing things. He is also mute. My pony ((who I haven't figured out a name for yet)) was abandoned at birth in an evil swamp. He is an almost black pegasus pony with grey eyes and pointy teeth (he got them pointy because he is an omnivore). He is chaotic evil and also sort of a cannibal.

i hope someone can help meVexx1313

There you go!
Oh wait, did you want some other kind of help? Razz
Firstly, I think you should consider that the character should fit the story, not the other way around. Believe me, I sort of learned that the hard way. If the group you're joining is all sunshine and rainbows, an omnicidal cannibalistic pegasus won't really fit in. However, if you're joining an Evil campaign, that character might be perfect! (That is, if the others aren't already omnicidal cannibalistic maniacs. Then you'll be too samey. Wink )
If that's all settled, then next you should think about statting him up. Go find our Handbook and make a character sheet. If you need help with that, ask around, but I think the book explains it pretty well. Just balance your stats, pick some abilities, and get crackin'. One of the cool things about this system is that there is no wrong way to build your character. Unlike in D&D, where a rogue with no Dexterity is in for a world of hurt, your character can probably survive with any mish-mash of abilities. Choose the abilities that you want!
Okay, this step should technically be first, but your next goal is to find a group. Shop around, talk to us. We'll try to include you if we can. A game recently just ended, so I think there may be a few of us floating around trying to make games. Be polite, ask nicely, and I'm sure they'll include you in their plans.
After that, well, the rest is up to you. Help us build. Chat with new friends. Design a whole army of ponies. Roleplay to your heart's content. The world is your oyster.
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Yeah, what AlicornPriest said. But I'll toss up This Link that someone tossed up on FiD a little while ago Smile At the very least it should give you some direction. I would suggest also on creating a sort of personality for your character and then filling in a back-story once you know your setting.

For example: You might decide to make your character someone who is out for revenge, but you should keep it somewhat vague and work out the target of your revenge with the DM so that your backstory wont clash with the DM's vision of the world. It also helps the DM make more meaningful encounters by tying your character into it and helps flesh out the world.

I hope you enjoy roleplaying as much as the rest of us Smile
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

I need help on my fan-pony's backstory    Please Help Empty thanks!

Post  vexx1313 Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:06 pm

thanks a lot AlicornPreist that is very helpful! ((no sarcasm at all)). my big brother plays DnD a lot and actually is a DM sometimes so ill ask him for some help Smile

also thanks SilentBelle

Vexx1313
vexx1313
vexx1313
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:08 pm

vexx1313 wrote:has anyone thought of a name for him?

If it's your Pony than the name falls to you. I can give some suggestions, though. Firstly, having grown up in the wild, away from civilization, he probably won't have a regular pony name. Having no contact with sentient races at all means he would have to name himself, and without influence, this can be a license to go nuts- Othrelcos, De Nisskar, Morosilven, Jeff, etc.

However, if you want to avoid something ridiculous, or you want to err towards "normal", namewise, I would suggest a given name that he had before he was abandoned, and his sole possession was a trinket with his name on it. Since we can assume he has no Cutie Mark, then there is a good chance he will be named something related to his coloration and the fact he is a Pegasus. Look at words that have to do with weather, flying, night time, and black- Dusk Zephyr, Torrent, Thundercloud, Twister, Starry Sky, Midnight, etc.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  vexx1313 Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:24 pm

he does have a cutie-mark, it's a bloody blade and i like the name "Dusk" not the Zephyr part though.

I was thinking it would be interesting to play an evil character in a good campaign

Vexx1313
vexx1313
vexx1313
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 pm

It is always interesting to play Evil in a good campaign, as long as the rest of the players or the DM aren't a bunch whiny little girls and let it play out organically. But then the task falls to you as an RPer to play in a way that allows your character to act as he should, while not constantly stopping or even ruining the games progression.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Both sides have to be willing to make compromises to make evil characters in good campaigns to work though. The evil character can't backstab the good guys at every turn or kill any of them because then they just gang up on that guy and then you're not playing at all. On the other hand the good guys' players need to let the evil guy get away with at least trying to do evil stuff. And of course then the GM has to not just throw down the hammer of morality at the evil character every time he acts within character outside of reasonable consequences for his actions.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  vexx1313 Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:35 pm

yeah...that's what i was thinking

Vexx1313
vexx1313
vexx1313
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:18 am

Forgive me in advance, I'm honest and frank. It's a terrible flaw.

First, if you do get in, make sure you don't play chaotic stupid. People are very, very rarely evil for the sake of evil. All evil views itself as being right, or at the least as being severely wronged and getting unjust revenge on the world. No one is blowing out candles and saying "I'm going to be a horrible stain upon my people's reputation when I grow up!"

Even the insane have reasons. Maybe they literally view their own kind as food, and when they see themselves they will on occasion bite themselves to check to ensure they are, indeed, not food. Maybe it is double compulsions of killing to invoke schadenfreude and then obsessiveness about not wasting anything so they wind up eating the corpse. Ever speak to someone who is truly, deeply disturbed? They're quite lucid, and often quite rational within the confines of their twisted worldview.

So "Dusk Blade" here is crazy and evil. Check. So dark and edgy. Sure. Next, being mute: There's a reason the phrase "deaf and dumb" exists. It isn't implying intellect of the deaf person. "Dumb" also means mute. It takes a VERY skilled roleplayer to pull off a mute character well, and not seem, well, just dumb. I've seen it fail countless times, and only succeed once. I'd advise instead going for unintelligible growls, and if you hang around the party long enough, very basic learned speech. But if you're married to the mute thing, well, I did see it work once, so it isn't impossible.

Also, I see you're likely using Internet Explorer. Firefox and I'm pretty sure Chrome both offer built-in spellcheckers. While RPing isn't often a stickler for spelling and grammar, a lower baseline level of it is expected, the effort to right-click red-underlined words at the least. Here is where a mute really is a big sticking point: Mutes must be twice to thrice as expressive as a speaking person to properly establish to others their opinion. Loquaciousness is a plus, not a minus.

In example, to communicate you desire the party to rest for the night:
1) Dusk Blade says "I am tired, let us make camp".
2) Dusk Blade takes a deep breath and sighs loudly, clopping his hoof against a tree to gain the party's attention. He tilts his head with heavy eyes towards the ground, and reaches back to tap the tent folded up along his saddlebag.

Being mute means a lot more writing is required, and bad spelling can grate on people over time, so if you're going the route play-by-post, I'd say to avoid it. If you're doing Skype or in person, go for it though, just keep in mind that it is not an easy route, especially if you're going counter-operative with the opposing alignment thing. Mutes make minions, not masters.

As for "Evil in a good party", I made my fame years ago doing that in my local gaming communities. The key is "be realistic". If the party makes a concerted effort to help the character stop being evil, is there a way Dusk would shift to neutral? Pony games don't have exp, remember, they've got Harmony. You're being discordant in your very nature, but the best interests of the party is not to ignore that, but instead to confront you about it. You WILL cause inter-party conflict and a lot of drama. You will need a group that can separate IC and OOC drama, as well you need to know the appropriate time and place for issues, and you need a DM/GM/ST that knows everything well in advance and is confident that they can work with that conflict.

But key most of all is a simple mantra: "It's Chaotic Evil, not Chaotic Stupid. If burning down an orphanage doesn't benefit me and donating money to it does, then I'm going to donate money to hungry orphans. I am no less evil for the action."
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  vexx1313 Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 pm

I actually was thinking of dropping the mute thing. I am using Firefox just so you know.I really didn't know it could be a ton harder to play a mute. And as you said he wouldn't burn down an orphanage just for the heck of it. Also,he isn't always a cannibal he might find a dead pony that isn't very decayed and eat it if he's alone, but he wouldn't just go into Ponyville and kill someone and eat them in the middle of town.

Vexx1313
vexx1313
vexx1313
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum