Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Art of War - Evolved

2 posters

Go down

Art of War - Evolved Empty Art of War - Evolved

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:19 pm

WIP

Basically, talents inspired by the Art of War Expansion pack! (I hope one of these might appear in the next. If Xel can get his in, so can I)

[+2] Nick - Standard Attack
Deal 4 damage to target enemy, Nick ignores Resistance

[0] Dual Wield - Minor Utility
This Utility is not replaced when you use Conjure a Weapon. After using this Utility, until the end of your turn. You can Conjure a 2nd weapon. The weapon does not replace your current weapon. Instead, it can be used in conjunction with your current weapon.

(Really need to improve the wording on this one... and perhaps it'll be better as a trait?)

[0] Combo, Start! - Minor Utility
When you deal damage, increase the damage dealt by 2. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo 1, Damage - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used 'Combat, Start!' or another 'Combo 1' move last turn. When you deal damage, increase that damage by 4. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo 1, Teamwork - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used 'Combat, Start!' or another 'Combo 1' move last turn. When you deal damage, inflict Vulnerability 2 (Save ends) to all enemies that took damage. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo 2, Damage - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used a 'Combo 1' move or another 'Combo 2' move last turn. When you deal damage, increase that damage by 6. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo 2, Teamwork - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used a 'Combo 1' move or another 'Combo 2' move last turn. When you deal damage, inflict Vulnerability 3 (Save ends) to all enemies that took damage and grant all allies Resist 1. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo Finish! Damage - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used a 'Combo 2' move last turn. When you deal damage, increase that damage by 10. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool, the new move cannot be a 'Combo' Move.

[0] Combo Finish! Teamwork - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used a 'Combo 2' move last turn. You and your allies can take an extra standard action this turn. After you use this move, swap this move with another move from your move pool, the new move cannot be a 'Combo' Move.

(Inspired by the thought that you might be able to swap moves without Flexibility now, admittedly this is something you'll probably have to devote your entire character to... maybe there should be a trait that allows you to take multiple Combo moves... and I'm a bit uncertain if these are overpowered)

[-7] Energy Whip - Minor Utility
You conjure a Energy Whip in your hands. You can dismiss the Energy Whip as a free action. While you are wielding a Energy Whip, you cannot use your normal combat talents. Instead you may use the combat talents below.

[+2] Lash - Standard Attack
Deal 10 damage to target enemy

[+1] Trip - Standard Attack
Deal 2d4 damage to target enemy, target enemy is dazed (save ends)

[-2] Redirect - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: An enemy would attack to you or one ally.
Effect: Redirect the attack to a different target.

[-3] Restrict - Standard Utility
Target enemy is stunned an gains 5 ongoing damage until the end of your next turn.

[-5] Whiplash - Standard Attack
All enemies take 2d8 damage and are dazed (save ends), Energy Whip disappears after using this move.

[-7] Sentinel's Shield - Minor Utility
You conjure a Sentinel Shield in your hands. You can dismiss the Sentinel Shield as a free action. While you are wielding a Sentinel Shield, you cannot use your normal combat talents. Instead you may use the combat talents below.

Trait - Ultimate Defense
Whenever you would take damage intended for an ally, half the damage you take.

[+3] Bunker Down - Standard Utility
Gain Resist 3.

[+1] Shield Smash - Standard Attack
Deal 1d10 damage to target creature, if roll and 8 or more, target creature is stunned until the end of your next turn.

[-1] Super Defender - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger – An ally is targeted by an attack.
The triggering attack hits you instead.

[-3] Shield Throw - Standard Attack
Deal 2d12 damage to target creature and every creature adjacent to it. They are stunned until the end your next turn. Sentinel's Shield Vanishes

Last edited by Fury of the Tempest on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Art of War - Evolved Empty Re: Art of War - Evolved

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:WIP

Basically, talents inspired by the Art of War Expansion pack! (I hope one of these might appear in the next. If Xel can get his in, so can I)

[+2] Nick - Standard Attack
Deal 2 damage to target enemy, Nick ignores Resistance

(A redo of an old move, improved after seeing Arcing Bolt, through it could be a bit OP now)

This is definitely fine. It’s probably a bit underpowered now actually, you could bump it to 4 damage while keeping it +2. That’s still less than 1d8 damage without a chance to crit, with the resistance ability only happening occasionally.

Also gives an idea for an anti-healing combat talent. Something like this perhaps.

[+3] Cursed Blade - Standard Action
Deal 1 damage to target creature. That creature cannot gain hp or temporary hp until the end of your next turn.

Another usually-irrelevant ability, but every now and then will be awesome... And is a good way to fight DM enemies that have their enemies heal a ton (which I think isn’t great game design, as it’s *so* dispiriting to players when your enemies heal - much nicer when you take down a 100 hp enemy, than a 75 hp enemy that gainst 25hp over the course of the battle).

Fury of the Tempest wrote:[0] Dual Wield - Minor Utility
This Utility is not replaced when you use Conjure a Weapon. After using this Utility, until the end of your turn. You can Conjure a 2nd weapon. The weapon does not replace your current weapon. Instead, it can be used in conjunction with your current weapon.

(Really need to improve the wording on this one... and perhaps it'll be better as a trait?)

Yeah, seems awkward. I like the idea though. I’d definitely use it as a trait, because those aren’t replaced when you conjure a weapon. Perhaps a trait with a prerequisite, so it takes two traits to fully unlock, that simply stops your conjured weapons from blocking your normal combat talents.

That also gives me an idea.

Trait
Heart of the Storm
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.

Call the Tempest - Reaction
Trigger - You roll initiative
Effect - You may use Hammer of Thunder or Hurricane Blade without spending their pip costs, even if you do not know those talents

For multiple conjured weapon types of coursre.

Fury of the Tempest wrote:[0] Combo, Start! - Minor Utility
When you deal damage, increase the damage dealt by 2. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo 1, Damage - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used 'Combat, Start!' or another 'Combo 1' move last turn. When you deal damage, increase that damage by 4. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo 1, Teamwork - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used 'Combat, Start!' or another 'Combo 1' move last turn. When you deal damage, inflict Vulnerability 2 (Save ends) to all enemies that took damage. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo 2, Damage - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used a 'Combo 1' move or another 'Combo 2' move last turn. When you deal damage, increase that damage by 6. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo 2, Teamwork - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used a 'Combo 1' move or another 'Combo 2' move last turn. When you deal damage, inflict Vulnerability 3 (Save ends) to all enemies that took damage and grant all allies Resist 1. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool.

[0] Combo Finish! Damage - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used a 'Combo 2' move last turn. When you deal damage, increase that damage by 10. Then, swap this move with another move from your move pool, the new move cannot be a 'Combo' Move.

[0] Combo Finish! Teamwork - Minor Utility
This move can only be used if you have used a 'Combo 2' move last turn. You and your allies can take an extra standard action this turn. After you use this move, swap this move with another move from your move pool, the new move cannot be a 'Combo' Move.

(Inspired by the thought that you might be able to swap moves without Flexibility now, admittedly this is something you'll probably have to devote your entire character to... maybe there should be a trait that allows you to take multiple Combo moves... and I'm a bit uncertain if these are overpowered)

These moves are very cool. I could definitely see a design like this making it into the combat system in some way. That juggling around your combat talents seems like a lot of Johnny fun.

Fury of the Tempest wrote:[-7] Energy Whip - Minor Utility
You conjure a Energy Whip in your hands. You can dismiss the Energy Whip as a free action. While you are wielding a Energy Whip, you cannot use your normal combat talents. Instead you may use the combat talents below.

[+2] Lash - Standard Attack
Deal 10 damage to target enemy

[+1] Trip - Standard Attack
Deal 2d4 damage to target enemy, target enemy is dazed (save ends)

[-2] Redirect - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: An enemy would attack to you or one ally.
Effect: Redirect the attack to a different target.

[-3] Restrict - Standard Utility
Target enemy is stunned an gains 5 ongoing damage until the end of your next turn.

[-5] Whiplash - Standard Attack
All enemies take 2d8 damage and are dazed (save ends), Energy Whip disappears after using this move.

Fury of the Tempest wrote:[-7] Sentinel's Shield - Minor Utility
You conjure a Sentinel Shield in your hands. You can dismiss the Sentinel Shield as a free action. While you are wielding a Sentinel Shield, you cannot use your normal combat talents. Instead you may use the combat talents below.

Trait - Ultimate Defense
Whenever you would take damage intended for an ally, half the damage you take.

[+3] Bunker Down - Standard Utility
Gain Resist 3.

[+1] Shield Smash - Standard Attack
Deal 1d10 damage to target creature, target creature is stunned until the end of your next turn.

[-1] Super Defender - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger – An ally is targeted by an attack.
The triggering attack hits you instead.

[-3] Shield Throw - Standard Attack
Deal 2d12 damage to target creature and every creature adjacent to it. They are stunned until the end your next turn. Sentinel's Shield Vanishes

I like the core concepts of these a lot, especially the shield. Why don’t you PM them to Kindulas? He loves working on conjured weapons. He did the core design of all of them except for Thunder Hammer - which we worked on together. I just polished the end results.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Well, I'm honestly glad to see so much positive feedback. But not only that, but I'm inspiring you as well!

Through, the Heart of the Storm traits comes across as overpowered... going into the weapons at 4 PiP's on turn 1 is a big advantage. I mean, Hurricane Blade for example lets you remove 3 opponents from the battle for a turn, and deal damage to them. Which is a powerful start.

Also, I think I'll follow the PM suggestion
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Glad to hear it.

I definitely haven't tried to balance the conjure-weapon trait yet - the basic principle is all I'm talking about. It might require the player to pay 4 pips to activate it in the end.

Oh, and just so you know - traits are meant to be worth a 2000 gold item, or 2 standard actions.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:I definitely haven't tried to balance the conjure-weapon trait yet - the basic principle is all I'm talking about. It might require the player to pay 4 pips to activate it in the end.

Oh, and just so you know - traits are meant to be worth a 2000 gold item, or 2 standard actions.

I see... Interesting way to balance things... but didn't you say in my Trait thread that your not 100% on the formula for traits?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:41 pm

That's the core formula, but there's some extraneous things that make it a bit more difficult than that (lots of traits give passive benefits that make it hard to calculate the overall value they'll produce over the average combat) but that will give you enough to get things very-close-to-balanced.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:42 pm

I see... thank you very much. Through I'm not sure how good I'll be at applying it...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum