Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[General] Suggestions Box!

+4
Quietkal
ZamuelNow
Zarhon
Pingcode
8 posters

Go down

[General] Suggestions Box! Empty [General] Suggestions Box!

Post  Pingcode Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 am

Here's the box for any features or changes you'd like added to the forums. Feel free to post anything you'd like to see coming to Ponytales, with a few caveats:

1. It can't break the rules.
1. This is not the place to discuss rules or moderation - see the Rules Discussion thread for that.
2. Suggestion implementation is not guaranteed, and is limited by time and practicality constraints.

Besides that, looking forward to your suggestions! (Feel free to resubmit them here if you've previously told one or more of us - it might have been forgotten.)
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

[General] Suggestions Box! Empty Re: [General] Suggestions Box!

Post  Zarhon Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:00 am

1) A less-clunky search bar would be my first suggestion. The current search bar only looks up and lists thread names/titles for your word search (and only if it's exactly that word - any miss-type or part of a larger word is ignored), and merely highlights that word within the threads listed. Options to look for words within the threads themselves (for instance, to find a specific question in the "ask a question" thread, or every instance of a word or several words), or more "specified" searches (of a specific person, date, within a specific thread, etc...) that most forums have would be appreciated - It's really hard to find info that was posted when a thread turns huge (which happens in pretty much every PbP, when info has to be reviewed by either players or DMs), and the current search bar is outright useless for that (and difficult to use for finding threads as well, unless you have perfect memory of what it's called!).

2) Also would be nice to increase the limit of pages a thread can get before it auto-locks and "splits" into a new, same-named thread without warning, or make it stop doing that entirely - it's really confusing/annoying for the PbPs when it happens, and leaves the "first poster" of that split thread the "owner" of the thread (so only they can edit the title and such), rather than whoever started the thread.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:21 am

Zarhon wrote:1) A less-clunky search bar would be my first suggestion. The current search bar only looks up and lists thread names/titles for your word search (and only if it's exactly that word - any miss-type or part of a larger word is ignored), and merely highlights that word within the threads listed. Options to look for words within the threads themselves (for instance, to find a specific question in the "ask a question" thread, or every instance of a word or several words), or more "specified" searches (of a specific person, date, within a specific thread, etc...) that most forums have would be appreciated - It's really hard to find info that was posted when a thread turns huge (which happens in pretty much every PbP, when info has to be reviewed by either players or DMs), and the current search bar is outright useless for that (and difficult to use for finding threads as well, unless you have perfect memory of what it's called!).
Will look into this, but it's a big ask - I don't have database access on forumotion, but it should be possible if I can figure out a crawler or something. Won't be pretty, but it should be doable.

2) Also would be nice to increase the limit of pages a thread can get before it auto-locks and "splits" into a new, same-named thread without warning, or make it stop doing that entirely - it's really confusing/annoying for the PbPs when it happens, and leaves the "first poster" of that split thread the "owner" of the thread (so only they can edit the title and such), rather than whoever started the thread.
Difficult ask. This one is almost certainly PHP based, and I can't access that.

The big obstacle to 'implement anything' is that forumotion refuses to release databases or provide access to the PHP, which means most fixes need to be indirect.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:20 pm

What is the thread limit? Being newer than most, I didn't know about this. It might be a good soft rule for GMs to just make a new thread before it hits that point.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Not sure. All the locked threads have 67 pages of posts (15 posts each page, except for the last page which is a single post, so 991 posts), but the threads lock up around 70-76+ pages, transferring the last five or six pages into the "new" thread, leaving only a single vague link in the locked thread's final post.

Maybe add a message / notification for when this happens, in that last post, that makes it a bit more clearer, rather than just a single vague link and no explanations?

"Due to excessive size, this thread has been automatically locked, and it's last [number] pages have been transferred into a new thread. You may reach it by clicking the link below. We apologize for any inconvenience it may cause."

Another option would be for a bot/script to track the page/post count, and supply a warning when a thread is getting close to closing, either with a direct post and/or a PM for the owner:

"Warning: This thread is approaching it's maximum allowed size of [number] pages. Should the limit be exceeded, any posts after this one will be automatically transferred into a new thread once the thread reaches [number] pages. The next poster will become the first post of that thread, and conversely, will be able to edit it as though he is the 'thread owner'."

"Warning: This thread will automatically lock and split after [number] posts."

Last edited by Zarhon on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Each thread has a limit of 990 posts on Forumotion (Apparently even they don't know why), which, plus the OP (which follows different rules) makes for a hard limit of 991 posts after which it gets automatically split.

I'll look into something that might provide those alerts early, though.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Pingcode wrote:Each thread has a limit of 990 posts on Forumotion (Apparently even they don't know why), which, plus the OP (which follows different rules) makes for a hard limit of 991 posts after which it gets automatically split.

I'll look into something that might provide those alerts early, though.
When does it decide to split, though? It is time-related ([X] days after reaching limit), or post-amount related ([X] extra posts after reaching its 991 limit), or something third?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 pm

More fonts. A greater variety would be nice, especially since some of the ones we have are rather similar.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:00 am

Possible. It won't turn up in the font listings (I'd document them in this forum), and it'd be reliant on the viewers having the right font handy, but it can very much be done - do you have any in mind in particular?
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:38 pm

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a lot of the fonts are already there; they're just not listed as options.
Like this is Algerian, which isn't listed but apparently works. At least it does on my side.
Wingdings doesn't work though -.-\\
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:12 pm

A list of fonts approved by the programming would be nice, in that case.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Quietkal wrote:I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a lot of the fonts are already there; they're just not listed as options.
Like this is Algerian, which isn't listed but apparently works. At least it does on my side.
I'm intrigued.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:44 pm

can it be changed so that the things in the black box type of spoilers may be included in quotes?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Edit: So it does. Huh.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:16 pm

LoganAura wrote:
Edit: So it does. Huh.
not when you use the quote button
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:26 am

Don't mind me, just on holiday and testing something.

Test 2

Test is conclusive. It'll work with any font the viewer has installed on their systems. Will announce and document properly next year when I'm home.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Questions why are the forums so slow and why is the tool bar for posts missing?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:59 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Questions why are the forums so slow and why is the tool bar for posts missing?
That's happened to me before, and it seems to be a personal problem more than a site-wide problem. I believe I had to restart my computer for it to go back to normal, if I remember correctly, so maybe try that. If that doesn't work, then it's all up to Ping (I went to her when I had the same problem).
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:01 pm

It's been running slow for me too. I chalked it up to my connection at first but it's been abnormally slow the past few days. Thing is, it comes and goes instead of just staying slow.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:13 pm

It's been just fine for me [General] Suggestions Box! 139354356735 no slowness or anything
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Suggesting a bit of forum consolidation considering current activity, section sizes, and system revamps:
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down