Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New memetic meme

+8
SilentBelle
Prof. Charles Hoofington
AProcrastinatingWriter
Xel Unknown
LoganAura
AlicornPriest
Ramsus
id319
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New memetic meme - Page 2 Empty Re: New memetic meme

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:19 pm

I would like to not apologize for derailing this thread. In fact, I'd like to un-apologize for the Prof but, I don't think I'm allowed to do it. So....I guess I'm doing it then. Cool

Discordianism, there you go Xel.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:44 pm

Ramsus wrote:I would like to not apologize for derailing this thread. In fact, I'd like to un-apologize for the Prof but, I don't think I'm allowed to do it. So....I guess I'm doing it then. Cool

Discordianism, there you go Xel.
Wow... That's really cool.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Maybe I don't get the joke, but bad meme is bad, and forced is worse.

Being a Brony means liking the show. The show itself is "My Little Pony", which every man in America has known to be the epitome of feminine and unmanly. That's why so many of us suddenly liking it is such a big deal. It's the overwriting of 25 year old stigma that has been ingrained in the very soul of every person who calls himself a man in two generations.

Now I personally think that the reason a lot of people refuse to accept it is because, despite the overwhelming positive support and representation, whenever they see pics or videos of Bronies en masse, its never aesthetically pleasing. A lot of people don't want to be associated with My Little Pony, and the (brutally honest mode) obvious nerds and cosplayers don't really help that fact. We all know how "Cool Kids" operate, so we can'rt expect them to judge fairly by what we show them. Fact of Life.

Eventually they'll either mature to the point that they decide its doesn't bother them as much as they thought, or just say fuck it and give up caring.

Until the next day when they get on Facebook and another one of their friends just changed his profile pic to a pony.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:32 pm

See, I think it's things like that last line there that cause problems. You come off sounding like some sort of creepy cult or christianity (note: not that I'm saying there is a difference between those two things) where you're actively trying to subvert normal behavior into your chosen arbitrary viewpoint.

And heck, guys watched MLP before FiM. Watching shows aimed at girls isn't new. And FiM is actually pretty damn non-gender specific. The closest it actually comes to being "girly" is just that it has an all female main cast. You wouldn't call 24 and/or whatever is popular "manlyness" show of the current times girly if it had an all female cast would you? It would just be hotter. And therefore somehow more manly.

I think a lot of the backlash against Bronies is simply people seeing them as making a lot of noise and a big deal over something that just isn't. There really aren't any bold statements being made that haven't been made dozens of times before as far as I know.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:43 pm

I'd agure differently... Cause the bold statement is the fact that people have done a lot of amazing stuff inspired by the show. And while this stuff may have happened before, it was quiet and unseen, the Brony thing on the other hand is making noise by just existing to many people because they just can't understand what's going on...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Ramsus wrote:See, I think it's things like that last line there that cause problems. You come off sounding like some sort of creepy cult or christianity (note: not that I'm saying there is a difference between those two things) where you're actively trying to subvert normal behavior into your chosen arbitrary viewpoint.

"Rule 4: No bigotry towards other members. You're free to have any beliefs you want, but you are not allowed to dehumanize other members. This includes, but is not limited to: race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, political views, or subculture."

I'm not saying you've broken this rule yet, Rasmus, but making statements like that is pretty freaking close. You are sitting on a bomb. Please do try not to jostle it any further.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:35 pm

I don't really know how you expected me to react to that. Considering you said it publicly instead of via PM it just comes off as a vague threat. Thanks for doing your part in the mandated upkeep of Harassing Ramsus Incorporated? *rolls eyes*

Unless you have something constructive to add to the discussion, I'd suggest you knock it off. It's a discussion about many things, involving why people identify themselves as Bronies and why Bronies are hated on by some others. Of course it will involve an expression of opinions on why this is so and comparisons to other groups of people and how they behave.

Or are you trying to claim it's against the rules to, in a conversation involving both religions and group identities, make a comparison about how Christianity (a thing that is both these things) actively seeks to convert people and that some people find this behavior offensive and unnerving? I'm frankly amazed that you'd bother trying to twist that into some kind of personal attack against a specific person(s). Not that I even know who specifically I would be offending by doing so. Unless you know someone here who engages in that particular behavior? Because I sure don't.

In the future please examine what you are claiming is "close to" a rule violation (which isn't horseshoes and hand grenades so, unless it can be said I was intentionally skirting a rule in an effort to circumvent it, close doesn't count for anything) before you actually say so. The only effect you can have, correct or not, is cause drama. So be really dang sure when you do so that you're A) Correct and B) want to cause that kind of drama. Otherwise I would suggest behaving in a more mature fashion and sending a PM to whoever said whatever you found upsetting and discussing the issue with them. Aside from that, the wisest course of action would be to not say anything at all. (Just because the rules are constructed in an aggressively draconian style does not in fact make the mature thing to do to report every possible violation and cry wolf at "close to violation" at every opportunity.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:00 pm

I think AProcrastinatingWriter just meant to say that he felt the direction of the discussion was getting close to offensive and was hoping to mitigate anyone writing anything particularly offensive about religions either way. And I could see the conversation heading that way, honestly. He wasn't trying to attack you or harass you as far as I could tell.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:10 pm

If it's as you say, he could have been more clear in that by not saying it directly to me and addressing anyone else. I'll take your word for it though since you're already a demonstratively nice person. I'm wary about almost anyone else's intent when these kinds of things come up though.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Oblivious Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Hey, guys, cool it. I'm all for a bit of controversial or heavy discussion, but this does seem like it might burn out of control quickly. Let's remember that we're all friends here; let the mods decide on who's breaking what rules or not, alright? Carry on.
Oblivious
Oblivious

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Well said Oblivious.

And to clarify, yes please avoid likening religions to "creepy cults". No matter how you'd like to dress it up, it's unnecessary and offensive. This does touch upon forum rules, but even if it didn't - it's a matter of common decency. After all Ramsus, I'm pretty sure you'd be more than a little offended if someone had written...

"You come off sounding like some sort of creepy internet troll or Ramsus (note: not that I'm saying there is a difference between those two things)"

Of course, I don't actually think you are a troll Ramsus - don't take that sentence seriously for a second. I just swapped the term with cult and your name with the religion to demonstrate that - despite what you might think - people probably would find such comparisons offensive. And, even if you wouldn't - I know I'd feel bad if someone wrote...

"You come off sounding like some sort of crappy game designer or Stairc (note: not that I'm saying there is a difference between those two things)."

So let's just try to love and tolerate. Back to the meme. sunny
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:21 pm

The troll or Ramsus one made me laugh actually (also I can actually see cases where it could be said, be true, and actually not be an insult to me). The crappy game design one would sting though.

*shrug* I suppose I could have not put in my thoughts in the parenthesis but, my point was that it was statements like that, where it sounds like Bronies are actively trying to convert people, that are what some people are offended by. And there's good reason, personally and historically, to find this offensive. Thus why the christianity reference was included in the first place.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Now then... Let's go back to the Memes topic... Most memes suck. Forced Memes are even worse. But some are funny... And that's my two bits about Memes.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Well at any rate, uh, I've got a higher tolerance for memes than most. I find some of them funny. Nowhere near all of them, but some of them. Like that "Do the Laundry They Said" one - I've always had a soft spot for that one.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:41 pm

It really depends on what type of meme it is. If it's one of the pictures with captions, No thank you. If it's something more like something popular to say or something, I love using them in casual context.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:53 pm

I don't even really pay attention to them. Often I'll use one because, well, it's a reference to something and it'll turn out to be a meme and I'll be like *shrug* Whatever. But, yeah, I don't go in for the ones that are....internet trollish dumbness.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:04 am

I feel memes have their greatest value once they're pervasive enough to reference at appropriate moments. Similar to shouting the darth vader, "NO!!!" at a dramatically appropriate time. Can cause hilarity.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:07 am

I follow the policy of knowyourmeme.com - if you call it a meme and you attempt to start it then and there, it's not a meme and will not be a meme. You cannot make something viral because you want to, otherwise the internet will be full of pictures of your specific cat. Memes, or at least the ones no one actively hates like Arrow to the Knee, start on their own.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:06 am

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:Memes, or at least the ones no one actively hates like Arrow to the Knee, start on their own.

I'm pretty sure a lot- a whole lot- of people actively hate Arrow to the Knee jokes. At least they do now.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 am

That actually still falls under the category of "I have no idea what the hell that is but, sounds like a meme? Guess I don't care?"
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 am

Bronymous wrote:
Brony 7 of 9 wrote:Memes, or at least the ones no one actively hates like Arrow to the Knee, start on their own.

I'm pretty sure a lot- a whole lot- of people actively hate Arrow to the Knee jokes. At least they do now.
Sorry, that was phrased badly. I meant to indicate the Arrow to the Knee is an example of a meme people actively hate, not an example of one they don't hate.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 am

I used to love memes.

But then I took an arrow to the knee.

I regret nothing!
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Prof. Charles Hoofington wrote:I regret nothing!

You will. One day, when you've lost everything, when the world seems darkest, you'll remember you made that joke, and you will regret it.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum