Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cross Aspect Restrictions/Prerequisites

+7
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
tygerburningbright
A1C Bronymous
AProcrastinatingWriter
Fury of the Tempest
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cross Aspect Restrictions/Prerequisites  - Page 2 Empty Re: Cross Aspect Restrictions/Prerequisites

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Fury of the Tempest wrote:Didn't get much response on the idea of branching Destinies through... which we don't really have.[/color]

I'd be really interested to see more about what you have in mind for this. I'm not sure what you mean by branching destinies. You mean choose one level 4 feature and then get two options of level 7 features? Because that'd be awesome. More work for designers, but awesome!

Could even have two options at level 4 with similar flavor. Take the Archmage for example. I can think of different opitions for it.

LV4: Once per session, you can use a X/day Utility for free.

LV7: Magic allows you to chose utilities from other species.

LV10: Allows you to grant anyone an extra magic point one per day.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Cross Aspect Restrictions/Prerequisites  - Page 2 Empty Re: Cross Aspect Restrictions/Prerequisites

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Alright so we're mostly settled here but I want to talk about something.

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:...Heck, I even want to get rid of the race-specific utility talents (and I might at some point) - Inky Quills moans about how she wants to use the cool pinkie-pie-esque Earth Pony utilities but as her character concept is a unicorn she can't... Despite the fact such abilities could easily be explained through unicorn magic.

I see where Inky Quills is coming from and I agree...but at the same time I kind of wonder to myself how Ponykinesis, Weather-Crafting, the Changeling's expertise in certain fields, etc. etc., is going to work if we take out all the racial utilities. What if we took out all the racial utility talents except ones that directly advance the traits already given to certain races?...and then, you know, made sure each race had at least one trait that could be thus advanced by utility talents?

Basically: make everything an Everypony talent, except stuff that has a racial trait as a Prequisite? Or, better yet, maybe make everything an Everypony talent BUT make some things that directly advance racial traits and don't do anything else (like the advanced levels of Ponykinesis!) need those traits as Prequisites?
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:32 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:
Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:...Heck, I even want to get rid of the race-specific utility talents (and I might at some point) - Inky Quills moans about how she wants to use the cool pinkie-pie-esque Earth Pony utilities but as her character concept is a unicorn she can't... Despite the fact such abilities could easily be explained through unicorn magic.

I see where Inky Quills is coming from and I agree...but at the same time I kind of wonder to myself how Ponykinesis, Weather-Crafting, the Changeling's expertise in certain fields, etc. etc., is going to work if we take out all the racial utilities. What if we took out all the racial utility talents except ones that directly advance the traits already given to certain races?...and then, you know, made sure each race had at least one trait that could be thus advanced by utility talents?

Could do it even more simply. We could just do what we did with Living Legends and provide utility talent pre-requisites for those paths. For example, in Living Legends we made Weathercrafting a utility talent, so anyone could take the weathercrafting path and made flight a utility talent so anyone could access the flying talents. Those races just got head-starts on those tracks.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Thoughts on the Destiny branching?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Thoughts on the Destiny branching?

Works fine. At the moment I'd rather have more destinies than more complex destinies (we're low on official destinies at the moment) but destiny branching looks really cool. In fact, as long as it's simple - I think the level 7 at least should both have 2 options to choose from - though 10 might want to stand alone. Destiny levels are the one time you don't have an interesting choice, you automatically get what it tells you. Level 4 you have a huge choice, level 10 it hardly matters - you're getting something ridiculously awesome... But level 7 I'd like multiple options for.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Just level 7?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Just level 7?

Level 4 already has an interesting choice (choosing your destiny). Level 10's capstone feature is built to be epic... We could have more than 1 there too, but it might almost cheapen the level 10 feature. Could still work. Level 7 though, definitely.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:47 pm

No branching LV4 makes sense.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2