Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Personal boons?

2 posters

Go down

Personal boons? Empty Personal boons?

Post  Retrokinesis Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:30 am

Hello, first post here!

I'm running my first Pony Tales game but I've noticed one thing that's strange to me: boons. I understand that they're supposed to be party-wide benefits chosen by the entire group but it seems to me like they should be picked by each character individually. As an example, for the basic tier, what if one player wants an assistant, another wants a home, and a third wants a fanclub? It seems the Mane Six would all have completely different boons and I can't imagine Futtershy being OK with a fanclub fawning over her every move or Rainbow Dash missing out on one for a ship when she can fly.

Would it upset balance too much to let characters each pick a personal boon? Maybe add in a separate track for party-wide abilities too? I'd appreciate any thoughts!
Retrokinesis
Retrokinesis
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Personal boons? Empty Re: Personal boons?

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:35 am

Retrokinesis wrote:Hello, first post here!

I'm running my first Pony Tales game but I've noticed one thing that's strange to me: boons. I understand that they're supposed to be party-wide benefits chosen by the entire group but it seems to me like they should be picked by each character individually. As an example, for the basic tier, what if one player wants an assistant, another wants a home, and a third wants a fanclub? It seems the Mane Six would all have completely different boons and I can't imagine Futtershy being OK with a fanclub fawning over her every move or Rainbow Dash missing out on one for a ship when she can fly.

Would it upset balance too much to let characters each pick a personal boon? Maybe add in a separate track for party-wide abilities too? I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Welcome to the forums! Great to have you here.

It's really fun to have your group decide on a boon together, but you can definitely let each player decide on one individually. Boons are more for roleplaying than anything else, so just bear in mind that your players will have a lot more advantages going for them and it might be harder to center the story on the boons they choose. You should be able to adjust your adventure easily to accommodate for their extra resources, no sweat. If you want to let your players each choose their own boons, go for it. At low levels, it shouldn't even require changing much of anything - though once you hit levels 6 and 9 you'll have to scale things up a lot. Just imagine, every pony wielding a Whirlygig...
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum