Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fillies and colts

5 posters

Go down

Fillies and colts Empty Fillies and colts

Post  Demonu Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:03 pm

As this is technically not a new race, I figure I can't post it there.
Anyway, here's an idea I've been toying with.

Filly / Colt

Warning: choosing this options means that your character starts out with a handicap (of sorts). It does open the door for more role play possibilities.

When creating a filly or colt character, just make a regular pony but with the following changes

Cons
- Young: as a filly or colt is still growing up, he or she starts with 20hp instead of 30
- School's not out yet: Fillies and colts can only pick 4 utility talents and 7 combat talents, of which they can use 4 in combat
- Still learning: Fillies and colts can't have trained skills
- Blank Flank: Fillies and colts have yet to receive their cutie mark so they don't have the +5 bonus nor can they get cutie mark criticals.

Pros
- Potential: As fillies and colts don't have a cutie mark yet, they can aspire to be anything. They start with 2 magic points instead of 1
- Youthful spirit: Fillies and colts are easy to knock down but they get back on their hooves in no time. They regain 1d6 hp at the start of their turn in combat
- Did I get my Cutie Mark?: Upon discovering their special talent and receiving their cutie mark (decided between DM and player), fillies and colts get +10 to rolls related to said cutie mark until the end of the game session and the next one. Afterwards they get the normal +5 bonus. They can also perform cutie mark criticals after discovering their cutie mark.

Possible idea:
- All grown up: When a filly or colt has matured enough to be called a mare or stallion, they lose the above traits and now have 30hp and they may pick 1 utility talent and 1 combat talent and use 5 combat talents in battle. Thanks to their adventures to become the pony they are now, they can take training in 4 skills instead of 2.

There is more to be added to this from a thematic standpoint (such as lowering attribute points) but this is a rough sketch of an idea.
Feel free to add or change anything.

EDIT:
- changed Youthful Spirit to 1d6 regain life as 1d10 is too good
- changed All grown up so they can take additional training in 2 extra skills (because only foals who become good at something survive adventuring) and dropped the gain of a Magic Point on a cutie mark critical.

Or should I swap that last change?

Last edited by Demonu on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Fillies and colts Empty Re: Fillies and colts

Post  Masterweaver Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 pm

1: HP is combat related. Granted, this is a template and not a race so it may not be as important, but...
2: There is no max magic point count.

Other then that, I'm good.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Masterweaver wrote:1: HP is combat related. Granted, this is a template and not a race so it may not be as important, but...
2: There is no max magic point count.

Other then that, I'm good.

I thought 1 magic point was the max, as there aren't any ways/rules to regain or gain additional magic points.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Well, Derp says you start out with two magic points.... I think the general agreement is that magic points can be earned with FEATS OF EPICOCITY.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Masterweaver wrote:Well, Derp says you start out with two magic points.... I think the general agreement is that magic points can be earned with FEATS OF EPICOCITY.

Derp filly: just use magic points all day, every day.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Derp filly in a party full of partiers. All magic points, all the time.

But yeah, due to parties I'm pretty sure there is no maximum amount of MP you can have at one time. Though, what the heck are you doing if you have 5 or more stored up? And I'd say they probably should reset to 1 after the party sleeps (note: party, not just one member who is like "yeah, you guys go do that. I will....sleep." To avoid limiting rp by both encouraging people sleep all the dang time unless they have more than their starting MP where they'd then avoid sleeping.)

I don't think fillies/colts should end up better than normal adults. Afterall all mares/stallions were once young themselves. I think the HP gain thing is enough reason on its own to balance out the choice. Though, they do need some out of combat beneficial effect as well outside of just what happens when they get their cutie mark because with no trained skills, cutie mark, and less utilities they're almost unplayably weak out of combat.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:35 pm

I like it! I was recently considering posting something along these lines but you beat me to it.

Cons: I thought these were spot-on. I wouldn't suggest changing these.

Pros: Some of these seem a little powerful. The extra magic point is nice, and a good way of handling it. Regaining 1d10 HP every round sounds a bit too powerful, though. I mean, that's potentially half a foal's HP, every round. Perhaps if it were quite a bit smaller, like a d4 or d6. Or maybe just making it a set Resist 3 or something? "Did I get my Cutie Mark?" is good too, though I'd suggest making it for an in-game day, if only because it would be pretty sad if one person got their cutie mark at the start of the session and one person got theirs right before the end. If it's in-game time everyone has the same chance to do stuff.

The last bit I think is also unnecessary. Since all adult characters are assumed to have been foals at some point, it doesn't make sense that just by starting as a foal you somehow get these extra abilities that players normally can't get. Foals are, kinda by definition, not as good as they'll be when the grow up, and while I think you managed to balance the handicaps pretty nicely, I don't think they should get extra abilities when grown up.

Regarding Magic points: yes, you can regain them through the Instant Party skill, and I don't believe there is an upper limit, although actually getting more than you begin the day with isn't especially easy. Also, the rules state that your Magic points are reset each day, so there's no incentive to hoard them.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Philadelphus wrote:The last bit I think is also unnecessary. Since all adult characters are assumed to have been foals at some point, it doesn't make sense that just by starting as a foal you somehow get these extra abilities that players normally can't get. Foals are, kinda by definition, not as good as they'll be when the grow up, and while I think you managed to balance the handicaps pretty nicely, I don't think they should get extra abilities when grown up.

The point is that "average" foals aren't adventurers. I think.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:09 pm

I would think neither are average ponies.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Touche!

In other news, I'm working on four foals of my own right now. I'll post them up in Character Sheets when I'm done.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:17 am

I was wondering where this had gotten to. I decided to make a filly backup character, and I thought the template was actually in the handbook already.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum